Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    Maybe he is.....most boxers/people will choose an easier situation if it's possible at the time.....it doesn't mean they are scared/afraid, or won't step up to the plate.

Same for Usyk......I doubt he is relishing the prospects of trying to win a tilte vs Wilder or AJ, compared to bagging one v a Chisor, for example...Usyk is not silly. He knows Wilder and AJ are very heavy hitters, and also, bigger men that he; AJ being considerably bigger...

There just seems to be a rush to slate/criticise AJ on the forum far quicker than to slate/criticise any other.

I'm not sure it always comes across in translation but Usyk is a bit of a wild man,
    Infact he stated AJ as the reason he came up to heavy weight and said multiple times he wants to fight him in Wembley , He wasn't forced to come up he came up because he thinks he can beat AJ ,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'm not sure it always comes across in translation but Usyk is a bit of a wild man,
    Infact he stated AJ as the reason he came up to heavy weight and said multiple times he wants to fight him in Wembley , He wasn't forced to come up he came up because he thinks he can beat AJ ,

Yes, quite true...

I have no reason at all to believe either man fears the other so much as to completely avoid..

Logic would tell me that the heavier, taller, bigger, far harder hitting man is probably less concerned about the match....

But this view doesn't suit the anti AJ narrative being spouted here...

Yes, quite true...

I have no reason at all to believe either man fears the other so much as to completely avoid..

Logic would tell me that the heavier, taller, bigger, far harder hitting man is probably less concerned about the match....

But this view doesn't suit the anti AJ narrative being spouted here...

Ye true about in most cases

If Uysk beats AJ uneducated boxing people will look at the size again and think he's been beat by a nobody again , that pressure can cause fear in the bigger man , so can go both ways ,

I wonder what AJ do we get now, will he be cautious like Ruiz 2 forever more ?
    Will he be second guessing his chin now or will he go back to his previous style depending on the fore , lots of questions still to be asked,

I see Ruiz fired his coach , to me Ruiz seems like a guy who will never get back to where he was unfortunately ,

One thing is for sure.....AJ can be hurt, wobbled, dropped and made look very unsure..

Can he correct this? Probably not. Similar to Khan....some boxers just don't react well to getting stunned and wobbled...

Would Usyk via points or KO be a massive surprise? No.......he isn't a big hitter, but with AJ, we have seen him all over the shop from juts punches....not whoppers...

I would think that AJ approaches an Usyk fight more old AJ style.....More aggressive, assured, intent on hurting the man.....

Why? Well, he and his team have to figure in the size advantages that they have, and maybe they think Usyk's power isn't all that a risk....

Could this backfire? Yes....

I see Ruiz fired his coach , to me Ruiz seems like a guy who will never get back to where he was unfortunately ,

Really, where was he to begin with.......

Yes, he beat AJ....He happened to land the necessary shots...

Ruiz is, or was good. Nothing more...

• Advertisement

One thing is for sure.....AJ can be hurt, wobbled, dropped and made look very unsure..

Can he correct this? Probably not. Similar to Khan....some boxers just don't react well to getting stunned and wobbled...

Would Usyk via points or KO be a massive surprise? No.......he isn't a big hitter, but with AJ, we have seen him all over the shop from juts punches....not whoppers...

I would think that AJ approaches an Usyk fight more old AJ style.....More aggressive, assured, intent on hurting the man.....

Why? Well, he and his team have to figure in the size advantages that they have, and maybe they think Usyk's power isn't all that a risk....

Could this backfire? Yes....

Be interesting to see over time how big Uysk gets ,
    You imagine the longer he is a heavy weight the more mass he will put on as it takes time to add mass and at the same time keep you VO2 levels on par,
    So its a slow process compared to just getting big to look good,

Be interesting to see over time how big Uysk gets ,
    You imagine the longer he is a heavy weight the more mass he will put on as it takes time to add mass and at the same time keep you VO2 levels on par,
    So its a slow process compared to just getting big to look good,

Yes.....

And all the time he and his team need to try find out his best weight to perform at his best...

I think he strays around 210-215 for the foreseeable future...

220 +......? Not sure that will be visited any time soon...

His best asset is his footwork, and more mass, means less speed on the feet...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I suppose its easier for Ruiz to fire the coach than have a look at his own indiscipline. Usyk has the pure boxing skill to trouble anyone, but his undoing might be his lack of power at Cruiserweight- i mean if he had not great power at Cruiserweight he is not suddenly going to develop it at heavyweight. More muscle may also leave him more susceptible to being tagged. Bellew for four rounds was catching him at times, will he be able to get away with that if it happens at heavyweight.

I'd have to think that Wilder, with his reach, range and height would land a clean whopper on Usyk.....unless Usy's defense suddenly turns Lomachenko!

I would back Wilder by clean KO early!

AJ, probably similar. I think he has to land his heavy shots. AJ has very heavy hands. Usyk shows a Lomachenko type defense, and/or a Chuvalo type chin? Then he has a chance against both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I'd have to think that Wilder, with his reach, range and height would land a clean whopper on Usyk.....unless Usy's defense suddenly turns Lomachenko!

I would back Wilder by clean KO early!

AJ, probably similar. I think he has to land his heavy shots. AJ has very heavy hands. Usyk shows a Lomachenko type defense, and/or a Chuvalo type chin? Then he has a chance against both.

We will need to see Usyk against a live opponent at hw very soon and we’ll know more. Trouble is that a title fight is a huge money spinner for him and an opponent. He’s gutsy moving up but it could be posturing until a soft belt becomes available due to a strip so he could beat some can and cling on to a title for a while. He must fancy himself against any of them though to drop his undisputed title

• Advertisement

He’ll get no kudos off me if he bags some made up sham of a belt by beating some bum!

He’ll get no kudos off me if he bags some made up sham of a belt by beating some bum!

Nor me. He has to beat a proper champion. I can’t see it

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Nor me. He has to beat a proper champion. I can’t see it

I could be wrong here, because of the alphabet nonsense that is the WBA/WBC and WBO, bit I think only Wilder and AJ are legitimate HW champions..

I could be wrong here, because of the alphabet nonsense that is the WBA/WBC and WBO, bit I think only Wilder and AJ are legitimate HW champions..

Well there’s the “lineal” champion too from Ring but if that’s acknowledged then we may quit. Those are the ones that I reluctantly recognise. See fools like whyte wobbling into the ring with a gold, silver, bronze world title. Grinds my gears

Well there’s the “lineal” champion too from Ring but if that’s acknowledged then we may quit. Those are the ones that I reluctantly recognise. See fools like whyte wobbling into the ring with a gold, silver, bronze world title. Grinds my gears

I deliberately didn’t acknowledge that. Anyway, the lineage of it is all over the place...

Plus, Fury being a drugs cheat expunges his claim!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

See fools like whyte wobbling into the ring with a gold, silver, bronze world title. Grinds my gears

Im always amazed by the amount of British fans on FB and twitter who think Whyte is a world beater and that Wilder is ducking him.

I deliberately didn’t acknowledge that. Anyway, the lineage of it is all over the place...

Plus, Fury being a drugs cheat expunges his claim!

Haha I know you did that’s why I brought it up to stir! That and the lay off or retirement too. But tbf I think he got done in the wilder fight so he stands a champion until we see how the rematch goes

Im always amazed by the amount of British fans on FB and twitter who think Whyte is a world beater and that Wilder is ducking him.

Totally he’s nowhere early good enough to be ducked. He is good enough to be considered for a title defence though

Whyte vs Povetkin and Dubois vs Joyce are apparently both going to be announced this week.

Whyte vs Povetkin and Dubois vs Joyce are apparently both going to be announced this week.

Decent and interesting match ups but I think povetkin is finished, he was very ragged looking against hunter and a heavy hitter could do him real damage I fear.

• Advertisement

Did anyone of you catch the break down of the Fury v Wilder fight with Haye and Ben Davison ,
    It was a great watch and Ben stood out miles in his break down (obviously because he was involved )

The lad obviously has his weak points as trainer possible due to being so new and inexperienced nut he really does have a great eye for boxing ,
    If any on here haven't been in and out of boxing gyms and are just causal fans its a great watch, to show you just how much detail can go into a fight,

I seen it on youtube but I think it was a BT thing ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Did anyone of you catch the break down of the Fury v Wilder fight with Haye and Ben Davison ,
    It was a great watch and Ben stood out miles in his break down (obviously because he was involved )

The lad obviously has his weak points as trainer possible due to being so new and inexperienced nut he really does have a great eye for boxing ,
    If any on here haven't been in and out of boxing gyms and are just causal fans its a great watch, to show you just how much detail can go into a fight,

I seen it on youtube but I think it was a BT thing ,

this?

this?

That's the one I enjoyed it,
    I thought from it you can see Haye wasn't the best tactical boxer but he didn't need to be seeing he was a physical freak in his prime,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

That's the one I enjoyed it,
    I thought from it you can see Haye wasn't the best tactical boxer but he didn't need to be seeing he was a physical freak in his prime,

it is an excellent 45+ minutes.....

Sugar Ray Leonard VS Tommy Hearns, stylewise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

this?

Very good watch.

Can see why Fury boxed orthodox in the first fight and not southpaw. Davison keeps mentioning over and over how Fury's jab was used to occupy Wilder's right hand and keep it higher in a less dangerous position.

I re-watched the fight. For large parts, Fury did eff all but mess.....

He gets far too much credit for his showing....

Joyce vs Dubois confirmed for 11th April

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ooh excellent!

Saw that. I’m looking forward to this one. Big risk for both

• Advertisement

Dubois, if he has a chin eats Joyce alive...

Advertisement