Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fair play to the two of them taking the fight ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

walshb wrote: »
    Dubois, if he has a chin eats Joyce alive...

I think Joyce has a chin so stamina could come into it. Joyce must be convinced he can win because he could have avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I think Joyce has a chin so stamina could come into it. Joyce must be convinced he can win because he could have avoided

To be fair Joyce is old so he needs to take these fights. It’s now or never for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

To be fair Joyce is old so he needs to take these fights. It’s now or never for him.

Possibly, but he could have taken another route and gone after interim and regular titles. Credit where its due

Possibly, but he could have taken another route and gone after interim and regular titles. Credit where its due

That’s the thing. He’s got to be sure he can win. He’s a huge, powerful man and not easy to fight. Well know a lot about Dubois after this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Good to see Dubois having a tester like this, should win handily imo but a good test at this stage after fighting Gorman too. Would like to see him fight someone like povetkin next should he get through joyce.

US2 wrote: »
    Good to see Dubois having a tester like this, should win handily imo but a good test at this stage after fighting Gorman too. Would like to see him fight someone like povetkin next should he get through joyce.

Povetkin shouldn’t be mentioned any longer as a realistic measurement of an up and coming fighter. He’s done.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Povetkin shouldn’t be mentioned any longer as a realistic measurement of an up and coming fighter. He’s done.

He is done. Bit he’s still far better and far more dangerous than anyone Dubois or Joyce have faced..

So, going by progression, Povetkin would be a big step up for both...

He is done. Bit he’s still far better and far more dangerous than anyone Dubois or Joyce have faced..

So, going by progression, Povetkin would be a big step up for both...

It happens seldom but I don’t agree. At that rate they might as well wheel out frank bruno and have a world champion on their records as a measure of their progression. Povetkin is irrelevant now. If he fights Whyte I fear for his safety, especially should it go on long. He looked like he should have been pulled out vs hunter and was vulnerable from round 1

It happens seldom but I don’t agree. At that rate they might as well wheel out frank bruno and have a world champion on their records as a measure of their progression. Povetkin is irrelevant now. If he fights Whyte I fear for his safety, especially should it go on long. He looked like he should have been pulled out vs hunter and was vulnerable from round 1

It’s not really the point I was making...

Povetkin is clearly past it, but still a top ten ranked HW, and still far better than anyone that either man has faced. My point stands. Clear step up in terms of risk, danger and talent...

Be similar if Mick Conlan matched against a Kiko or Nonito. Both clearly past it fighters, but both clearly better than anything on Conlan’s ledger!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Povetkin is clearly past it, but still a top ten ranked HW, and still far better than anyone that either man has faced. My point stands. Clear step up in terms of risk, danger and talent...

Be similar if Mick Conlan matched against a Kiko or Nonito. Both clearly past it fighters, but both clearly better than anything on Conlan’s ledger!!

Nonito's last outing would suggest he is far less past it that povetkin

I think Whyte will make mince meat of him and Whyte isn't great

Cyrus wrote: »
    Nonito's last outing would suggest he is far less past it that povetkin

I think Whyte will make mince meat of him and Whyte isn't great

Yeh, kind of agree. But Nonito still past it. An old stale type fighter now, despite his good showing v Inoue..

Perhaps when aj fought him he was still worth a mention. He should be retired now and therefore not suitable. He’s done.

Perhaps when aj fought him he was still worth a mention. He should be retired now and therefore not suitable. He’s done.

I don’t disagree that he is past it...clearly he is..

My point about him being a clear step up for both is true.

And his current Ring rating shows that he is also clearly a step up for both...

Would you make both clear favorites against him?

I don’t disagree that he is past it...clearly he is..

My point about him being a clear step up for both is true.

And his current Ring rating shows that he is also clearly a step up for both...

Would you make both clear favorites against him?

Yes I would. I don’t think it’s safe for him to be boxing. Those are two big, big boys and if they hit him he’d be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Yes I would. I don’t think it’s safe for him to be boxing. Those are two big, big boys and if they hit him he’d be in trouble.

Pure hyperbole, I saw the man live back in August and he handled Hughie Fury easy enough. He’s well over the hill but he still outboxed a bloke 15 years younger than him. Don’t think he’d beat either of them but he’s a much bigger test than Nathan Gorman or the likes.

Come on. He’s past it, but let’s not make out he’s like a 1981 Ali...

He’d still be their toughest test I reckon....because neither has beaten anyone..

Come on. He’s past it, but let’s not make out he’s like a 1981 Ali...

He’d still be their toughest test I reckon....because neither has beaten anyone..

Well we’re just not going to agree on Povetkin and that’s grand. Put it this way; one of us will be right and in a way I hope it’s you. If it is then I’ll happily concede the call. It’s well down the line at the moment tbf so I say let the two lads fight and we’ll see what comes out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Ah come on lads. You have folk on here saying that Povetkin is still a top heavy but he was lucky to draw with Hunter.
    Hunter got dominated by Usyk at Cruiser. If you think Povetkin is top 5/6 then Usyk Is automatically top 3. You can’t have it both ways.

It’s not about agreeing on where Povetkin is...

It’s about comprehension. We all agree that he is past it.

Ring do the ratings. He is top 8 for them..

It’s very simple. He would be a clear step up for Joyce and Dubois. That is “fact.”

Unless folks can show me from their ledgers clearly superior opponents to date?

• Advertisement

His name is likely still a draw and the result against hunter perhaps keeps him high on rankings but it was obvious that he was shot that night.
    Your opinion is that there is still enough of the old povetkin left to represent a challenge to these up and coming fighters. Mine is that a combination of juice use, age and taking some big shots recently leave it that little of his former self remains. Adding another 6 months minimum to that will make him even worse, possibly getting stopped again in the intermittent time

No, my fact is that Povetkin would be Joyce and Dubouis’ stiffest test to date....

Do me a favor. Check their records. Apart from an over the hill and not near great, Stiverne, they have fought nobody close to even this version of AP..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

The dad saying a KO win for Tyson...

Not my pick, but absolutely no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

The dad saying a KO win for Tyson...

PPV bait. More PPV's bought more money for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

No, my fact is that Povetkin would be Joyce and Dubouis’ stiffest test to date....

Do me a favor. Check their records. Apart from an over the hill and not near great, Stiverne, they have fought nobody close to even this version of AP..

Joyce's win against Jennings is up there with a possible win against this version of AP imo.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Joyce's win against Jennings is up there with a possible win against this version of AP imo.

It's not....

Jennings is pants!

This version of AP, we all know, is not at his best.....he is past it....still thunk he presents Joyce's toughest test to date.

ITV at 9 tonight. Tyson Fury: Gypsy King!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

It's not....

Jennings is pants!

This version of AP, we all know, is not at his best.....he is past it....still thunk he presents Joyce's toughest test to date.

Jennings did better v Wlad than AP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

For those of you with a Kindle, Tyson Furys autobiography is part of Kindles 'Daily Deals' today meaning you get it for 99p. But as the term 'Daily Deals' suggests, it's only that price until midnight.

Advertisement