Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    Our pro scene is nothing to write about anyway. Apart from Frampton, who is over the hill, we have not one world class operator..

Katie, of course. But on the men’s side nothing..

Think the likes of Gary Cully and Paddy Donovan are two of the best talents we've had in years coming through and both are completely unheard of on the island because we can't have fights here.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Think the likes of Gary Cully and Paddy Donovan are two of the best talents we've had in years coming through and both are completely unheard of on the island because we can't have fights here.

But until our lads actually do something of note on the world scene then they are just not near to deserving the time or recognition.

I can’t see Donovan going far, personally..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

walshb this might be fourth time lucky betting against fury or is it fifth ha.

iebamm2580 wrote: »

Don’t forget Wilder 3 as well..

Very dangerous fight, and obstacle..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Even A broken clock is right twice a day. Never under estimate the furious one.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Even A broken clock is right twice a day. Never under estimate the furious one.

I wish this was the case, but I'm a 24 hours man!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yRpWjYkNqY&feature=youtu.be

Billie Joe thinks he(Daniel) is a good man.

Was listening to it earlier

Proud we should be according to drugs cheat, BJS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Must be if he says so.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I heard that Sandra Vaughan (supposedly in charge of MTK) saying one of the main reasons people make irish jokes/laugh at the irish (our stupidity apparently) is because we make up false stories like these and spread silly rumours.

She stated a couple of weeks back there was no official MTK link to Kinahan beyond him advising fighters to use them as a stable. And literally 24 hours later there was an official link up.

Very easy to see who has had their pockets lined by Kinahan going by their public displays of affection, the likes of Fury, Till, BJS, McDonagh wouldnt be the sharpest tools in the box.

Its actually hilarious to think BJS believes he can lend some credibility to Kinahan, friends with him all his life me hole.

• Advertisement

Marius Wach v Kevin Johnson on tonight for anyone suffering from severe heavyweight boxing withdrawals

But until our lads actually do something of note on the world scene then they are just not near to deserving the time or recognition.

I can’t see Donovan going far, personally..

Think Donovan will go far although always a big ask winning a world title at 147. Like the fact Andy Lee is guiding him too.

Cully is very good and a Cully v Sean McComb fight could be absolutely massive here if either had any profile at all but because of no journalists running stories on MTK fighters and no fights being on in the republic it's a fight that will probably never happen.

Think Donovan will go far although always a big ask winning a world title at 147. Like the fact Andy Lee is guiding him too.

Cully is very good and a Cully v Sean McComb fight could be absolutely massive here if either had any profile at all but because of no journalists running stories on MTK fighters and no fights being on in the republic it's a fight that will probably never happen.

I have seen very little of Cully

But just in general...we have absolutely nobody doing anything on the world scene.

I know some lads fought for titles, but that doesn't mean they are doing anything...as in winning and being seen as top rated.

I love boxing, and always support Irish lads....but they aren't really all that good at world level. I can't get away from this feeling.

I have seen very little of Cully

But just in general...we have absolutely nobody doing anything on the world scene.

I know some lads fought for titles, but that doesn't mean they are doing anything...as in winning and being seen as top rated.

I love boxing, and always support Irish lads....but they aren't really all that good at world level. I can't get away from this feeling.

It's definitely a bit bare at the minute.

Frampton is still world class in my opinion and will fight for a world title in his third weight class once crowds are back.

Conlan will fight for a vacant world title in the next 12 months. Whether he's legit world class remains to be seen but he's going to get maneuvered into world title opportunities given the money that he brings. Watched Jessie Magdaleno last night and see no reason why Conlan couldn't be very competitive with him if they fought for the vacant title. I agree with what you say though, he's not ever going to be spoke about along the elites, he's not good enough for that.

Shame Ryan Burnett retired as he was our other legit world class performer and had a legit argument for top 20 P4P at one point. I'd have liked to have seen how that fight with Donaire would've played out had he not done his back in.

Lot of hope for the likes of Cully and Paddy Donovan personally but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Marius Wach v Kevin Johnson on tonight for anyone suffering from severe heavyweight boxing withdrawals

What channel is that on? Might take a look.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    What channel is that on? Might take a look.

DM'ed you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I don’t understand how Arum, Warren and Hearn could possibly need the help of Daniel to put on a fight.

It just doesn’t make sense. The only thing I can think of is that Daniel has paid them to say he’s involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

To my mind Frank Warren would be out if his depth trying to organise a fight of this magnitude in the middle east.

So it's not surprising to see him more towards the background these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

It's definitely a bit bare at the minute.

Frampton is still world class in my opinion and will fight for a world title in his third weight class once crowds are back.

Conlan will fight for a vacant world title in the next 12 months. Whether he's legit world class remains to be seen but he's going to get maneuvered into world title opportunities given the money that he brings. Watched Jessie Magdaleno last night and see no reason why Conlan couldn't be very competitive with him if they fought for the vacant title. I agree with what you say though, he's not ever going to be spoke about along the elites, he's not good enough for that.

Shame Ryan Burnett retired as he was our other legit world class performer and had a legit argument for top 20 P4P at one point. I'd have liked to have seen how that fight with Donaire would've played out had he not done his back in.

Lot of hope for the likes of Cully and Paddy Donovan personally but time will tell.

No love for Jono Carroll? He went through the vastly experienced Quigg handy enough in his last fight. Made a decent case for himself against Farmer. He’s still knocking around the top of that division imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This will be built up into a big fight but it just shows the sad state of affairs that heavyweight boxing is today. Like just going back 20 years, could you imagine either of these jokers putting it up to a prime Lennox Lewis or Vitaly Kitschko?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

eagle eye wrote: »
    This will be built up into a big fight but it just shows the sad state of affairs that heavyweight boxing is today. Like just going back 20 years, could you imagine either of these jokers putting it up to a prime Lennox Lewis or Vitaly Kitschko?

It's a massive fight

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

eagle eye wrote: »

Yes actually I could both of them

No love for Jono Carroll? He went through the vastly experienced Quigg handy enough in his last fight. Made a decent case for himself against Farmer. He’s still knocking around the top of that division imo.

Not meaning to disrespect Jono but my Nan would have went through Quigg on that night.
    He shouldn't have been left near a ring imo.
    Luckily for him he didn't get seriously hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ah man come on man that was not Quigg that was a shell of a man ,
    He was in absolute awful shape, his timing was shocking ,

I actually thought it was quite embarrassing how long it took to get him out of there,

Ah man come on man that was not Quigg that was a shell of a man ,
    He was in absolute awful shape, his timing was shocking ,

I actually thought it was quite embarrassing how long it took to get him out of there,
    To be fair Quigg is a lot tougher than some people give him credit for.
    If he wasn't he probably would have been taken out in a couple of rounds.

Quigg is past it and was never a big fan of Farmer. If you're genuine world class you should be beating Tevin Farmer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0616/1147760-daniel-kinahan/

Bahrain have cut ties with Kinahan I see.

fury says he would have been crucified if he said what Joshua said in his speech at the blm protest , cant help but agree with him on this one. Joshua has said a few dodgy things and media leave him off. If fury had said support white owned businesses the media would have hounded him out of boxing or tried to alt east.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

fury says he would have been crucified if he said what Joshua said in his speech at the blm protest , cant help but agree with him on this one. Joshua has said a few dodgy things and media leave him off. If fury had said support white owned businesses the media would have hounded him out of boxing or tried to alt east.

Lets be fair the media can't question any black sports star in the current climate on there views, They would be shooting themselves in the foot,

Fury can because he knows first hand about racism and bigotry

• Advertisement

Lets be fair the media can't question any black sports star in the current climate on there views, They would be shooting themselves in the foot,

Fury can because he knows first hand about racism and bigotry

ah ya i know that, just thought fury was ballsy to even mention it.

Advertisement