Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I tend to agree with you guys. All I’ll say is that Usyk looked hittable in his first fight at HW and that guy was even worse than Chisora. If Usyk can’t come through this one very convincingly then he has no business with the big boys. I have doubts on him as a HW as it is.

Usyk has always been hittable to a point though. Not so much with absolute power shots but he can be hit all the same will take a shot to land one or two of his own.

His modus operandi that he'll hit you more and as the latter rounds come he'll hit you even more while you're too tired to effectively hit him back as his movement isn't slowing and his output is actually increasing.

He's a man that just seems to love the grind.

Hence the success of his foray into the HW division rests massively on his chin and how his gas tank and speed stands up to his aging combined with the added weight.

It's hard to see him blowing any credible HW away convincingly but it's not too much of a reach to see him take them into the deep waters of the latter rounds and effectively drown them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Usyk has always been hittable to a point though. Not so much with absolute power shots but he can be hit all the same will take a shot to land one or two of his own.

His modus operandi that he'll hit you more and as the latter rounds come he'll hit you even more while you're too tired to effectively hit him back as his movement isn't slowing and his output is actually increasing.

He's a man that just seems to love the grind.

Hence the success of his foray into the HW division rests massively on his chin and how his gas tank and speed stands up to his aging combined with the added weight.

It's hard to see him blowing any credible HW away convincingly but it's not too much of a reach to see him take them into the deep waters of the latter rounds and effectively drown them.

Yep that’s fair enough and even looking at the Bellew fight he took a few as much as he outclassed TB.

I’m saying that because he fought an absolute bin so he should have been more evasive.

The modus operandi you mention worked with guys of equal weight but no way he can take a shot to get two in with the big boys who are naturally much bigger than him. I’ve a feeling he’ll stay with guys in the periphery and win a vacated belt only having to fight a real elite hw in a unification bout from which he will retire, money made. Can’t see many more than 3 more fights

• Registered Users Posts: 20,718 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I have to say im more interested in this fight than the likes of Whyte v AVP and some of the other lately,

It might go against the grain but I think Derek is a great opponent for Usyk,
    Chisora is a proper heavy weight who on his day can give anyone at least a fight,
    Chisora is a basically gate keeper to the second tier of heavy weights, Beat him well and your on the level of the Whyte's', Parker's and AVP's of this world

He will be proper up for this so will come in shape, Usyk at least has his first live fight at the weight,

If he boxes rings around Chisora then great it means we have another possible contender ,

walshb wrote: »
    Yes...I hear ya

Barring a fluke KO, plodder Chisora gets dominated all night here...he's just useless...

Usyk needs to get a move on now after this sham fight....

This is his second fight at HW, yes? Two absolute nobodies....

Not sure if its a sham ?

I think he's doing the right thing , he needs to fight like this a proper heavy weight who will be tuff and stubborn just to see how he can handle the extra weight of these guys, Chisora will at least give him a fight,

Then next time out he can step up to a tier 2 heavy weight Whyte, Parker, AVP, Pulev,, Win that and your on to Wilder,Fury, AJ

That's only 3 fights at a new division for a title shot, Don't think that's messing around or taking easy fights, Its just building yourself up and feeling out the big fella's ,

He could have a title fight by the end of next year ,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,416 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not sure if its a sham ?

I think he's doing the right thing , he needs to fight like this a proper heavy weight who will be tuff and stubborn just to see how he can handle the extra weight of these guys, Chisora will at least give him a fight,

Then next time out he can step up to a tier 2 heavy weight Whyte, Parker, AVP, Pulev,, Win that and your on to Wilder,Fury, AJ

That's only 3 fights at a new division for a title shot, Don't think that's messing around or taking easy fights, Its just building yourself up and feeling out the big fella's ,

He could have a title fight by the end of next year ,

If Chisora gives him a fight he should retire...

But I get your overall progression point...

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    If Chisora gives him a fight he should retire...

But I get your overall progression point...

I think best chisora and then have the title fight. Why risk these second tier guys for no reward? The demand is there so the fight sells against the top 3. I’d say look for next summer or a belt may be vacated and he will fight for it

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I think best chisora and then have the title fight. Why risk these second tier guys for no reward? The demand is there so the fight sells against the top 3. I’d say look for next summer or a belt may be vacated and he will fight for it

The problem is if Fury and AJ win they will be looking to fight each other next
    Then you have Wilder ,I can't see him wanting Uysk if Fury beats him again
    He'll look for someone to stand in front of him to get KO under the belt

So wilder parted company with his trainer. Writing on the wall since the towel came in but that was the one guy who he could rely on to say it as it is. The rest of the yes men will let him get badly hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Anybody have thoughts on the babic v Kennedy fight tonight?

Babic is 1/7
    Kennedy is 4/1

Babic is funny to listen to but boxing wise I’m not buying into the hype. He looked very average to me in his last fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Anybody have thoughts on the babic v Kennedy fight tonight?

Babic is 1/7
    Kennedy is 4/1

Babic is funny to listen to but boxing wise I’m not buying into the hype. He looked very average to me in his last fight.

Babic is a cruiserweight and a small one at that. He weighed in under 200lbs yeserday.

• Advertisement

Babic is a cruiserweight and a small one at that. He weighed in under 200lbs yeserday.

Could be an interesting fight so

Could be an interesting fight so

Kennedy at 219 is no big heavy either. I expect Babis to overwhelm him.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,416 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Similar sized men, albeit the scales saying otherwise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

What station is showing this fight?

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    What station is showing this fight?

Sky sports main event

Sky sports main event

Not until the Buatsi fight.

SS Arena (408) on now.

I’d forgotten all about this was Babic any use? Got it on now for the main event.

No and he's not a heavyweight

I see Joyce vs Dubois is not going to be PPV, just regular BT Sports on 28th November.

Good news for punters

I see Joyce vs Dubois is not going to be PPV, just regular BT Sports on 28th November.

Good news for punters

Very pleased to hear that I’d have likely paid the 20 quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Nathan Gorman up tonight, he’s wasnt looking in great shape or confident at the weigh in

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Nathan Gorman up tonight, he’s wasnt looking in great shape or confident at the weigh in

Hey Gene, yeah enjoying David Haye on the coverage, always love his passion.

Daniel Dubois' last two victims against each other tonight. Gorman is saying a lot about the last fight and how he had had a very difficult week, the week of the last fight with Dubois. Now I believe that he did have a bad week but I'm not sure the excuses are the best way to go. He split with Ricky Hatton a while back I think not sure who is with him now.

Steve Bunce :-(

Super Middleweight was over very quick. gorman vs Lartrey is up next.

God, Gorman is coming in very heavy looking even for him.

Gorman is being trained by Nathan Clarke near his home, Hattons gym was too far which was another excuse for his last defeat to dubois

Anyone know if Bunce is sick or has he just lost a load of weight, I saw him on ifltv yesterday and he looked terrible

Can I just translate what Frank is saying "The fight is not pay per view because people would not have bought it"

Commentator said Gorman has lost weight since lockdown to get down to 19st 7
    Jaysus his diet must be terrible

Gorman got smacked in the nose midway through the fight and has not looked really comfortable since. Keeps tapping at his nose, and it's bleeding a bit.

Fair play to the guy who upholstered Lartey's chin, it's a neat job.

Thought he was in a lot of trouble at the start but I think Gorman is on top now. Wonder if he can keep it going with all that weight.

• Advertisement

He’s the better boxer by far but if Lartey connects Gorman could be bang in trouble as he tires

Advertisement