Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

blade1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far.
    Didn't look to comfortable to me anyway.

He made sure to get out of the way when Ruiz went to open up on the inside but a side from that he was very very comfortable.

He pretty much couldn't miss with the jab and straight right for the whole 12rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,597 ✭✭✭✭walshb

blade1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far.
    Didn't look to comfortable to me anyway.

It was a very clear win....

He may have fought not at all like the supposed best HW on the planet, and I did criticize him for it, but he won well...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

He made sure to get out of the way when Ruiz went to open up on the inside but a side from that he was very very comfortable.

He pretty much couldn't miss with the jab and straight right for the whole 12rds.

All he had in front of him was a punchbag.

I wasn't implying Ruiz gave him a fight, just that AJ looked like a man after been sent to the gallows.
    Hid behind his jab for the whole fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

walshb wrote: »
    the supposed best HW on the planet

the what now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was a very clear win....

He may have fought not at all like the supposed best HW on the planet, and I did criticize him for it, but he won well...

It was a comfortable win against a man who partied for three months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭House Hunt

Have people suddenly dismissed Fury being dropped several times in his career, as well as twice in Wilder 1; where he was on the canvas for 10 seconds?

Have people also suddenly forgot that Wilder can punch very hard?

No issue with anyone thinking Fury can win. Of course he can, and has already; but it’s not at all silly to think that Wilder could knock him out..

In many ways, Fury's performance in Widler 1 was even more impressive than Wilder 2. He shouldn't have been in the ring the first night. He was at 30% physically. He couldn't bench press 60kg the week beforehand and John Fury fell out with the team for letting it go ahead.

Some people such as yourself fail to put any emphasis on this. It should be clear to see in hindsight after the 2nd fight when Fury was at full strength, so I don't understand why this is overlooked so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Dunno if Wilder will ever be the same after that beating he took from Fury tbh. Need to see him back in the ring. His whole aura took an almighty beating that night just as much as he took a beating physically. The Wilder of before would KO Joshua early imo. Would still love to see that fight.

It was a comfortable win against a man who partied for three months.

Whatever the excuses..it was comfortable..

Morrison J wrote: »
    Dunno if Wilder will ever be the same after that beating he took from Fury tbh. Need to see him back in the ring. His whole aura took an almighty beating that night just as much as he took a beating physically. The Wilder of before would KO Joshua early imo. Would still love to see that fight.

Or get KO’d early..

AJ far better overall puncher and boxer..

Yes, would still like to see it.

Same as always for me, regardless of their losses..

Goes no more than 3 rds..

House Hunt wrote: »
    In many ways, Fury's performance in Widler 1 was even more impressive than Wilder 2. He shouldn't have been in the ring the first night. He was at 30% physically. He couldn't bench press 60kg the week beforehand and John Fury fell out with the team for letting it go ahead.

Some people such as yourself fail to put any emphasis on this. It should be clear to see in hindsight after the 2nd fight when Fury was at full strength, so I don't understand why this is overlooked so much.

I overlooked nothing.

I even made the point before fight 2 that if Fury actually tries more and takes it to Wilder, he could well take him out..

If you were more regular on the forum you’d know this..

Fury in fight 2 was better. Not necessarily because of where he was at, but more his approach and tactics and game plan.

• Advertisement

Or get KO’d early..

AJ far better overall puncher and boxer..

Yes, would still like to see it.

Same as always for me, regardless of their losses..

Goes no more than 3 rds..

Joshua could well win early too but I'd go with the tougher fighter who has the better chin and far more power in a firefight. I really think that fight is advantage Wilder.

Joshua could well win early too but I'd go with the tougher fighter who has the better chin and far more power in a firefight. I really think that fight is advantage Wilder.

Tougher won’t come into it

Chin will. Neither man takes the other’s power...

Whoever lands clean first wins..both have suspect chins.

And Wilder May have more one shot power, but AJ far cleaner and far more technical a puncher..

Tougher won’t come into it

Chin will. Neither man takes the other’s power...

Whoever lands clean first wins..both have suspect chins.

And Wilder May have more one shot power, but AJ far cleaner and far more technical a puncher..

I think one is much more likely to get up off the floor multiple times than the other. I also think one is much more likely to knock the other completely unconscious. Both those advantages are to Wilder.

Joshua has never sparked anyone above British level. He's a much better finisher mind but he'll give Wilder the opportunity to get up and fight on and Wilder is as tough as they come. Definitely a big factor for me.

A flush clean hard shot on Wilder’s chin and Wilder is out cold...

Same for AJ the other way around.

Fury hurt and wobbled Wilder several times, and AJ hits considerably harder than Fury..

And AJ banjoed a very durable Povetkin. Hurt him big time..

First, and only man to take him out..

Same for AJ the other way around.

Fury hurt and wobbled Wilder several times, and AJ hits considerably harder than Fury..

And AJ banjoed a very durable Povetkin. Hurt him big time..

First man to take him out..

The same povetkin that dillian whyte had down several times and iirc David price had him all over the shop.

Cyrus wrote: »
    The same povetkin that dillian whyte had down several times and iirc David price had him all over the shop.

You clearly didn’t read what I wrote..

AJ first man to do it..

Povetkin never been done like that..

Oh, and he knocked Price and Whyte clean out..

Joshua has never knocked anyone out cold above British level and Wilder has never been sparked out cold. That's no given.

Joshua has never knocked anyone out cold above British level and Wilder has never been sparked out cold. That's no given.

Well, if it happens and Wilder does get hit flush, he will not make it. He’ll be knocked out, or stopped by the ref..

You clearly didn’t read what I wrote..

AJ first man to do it..

Povetkin never been done like that..

Oh, and he knocked Price and Whyte clean out..

I did read it and I responded to it, the fact he knocked them out afterwards doesn’t negate the fact a better boxer would have had him out of there.

Durable isn’t a word I’d have used .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

The last few posts is proof the the AJ and Wilder fight is still a big fight even if AJ loses to Fury as well.

Wilder needs to keep busy waiting for the outcome.

• Advertisement

I did read it and I responded to it, the fact he knocked them out afterwards doesn’t negate the fact a better boxer would have had him out of there.

Durable isn’t a word I’d have used .

Come off it.

Tough hard bastid..

To say that he is not, or was not durable is just off..

FFS, Wlad hit him with everything but the kitchen sink and could not get him out of there..

AJ did the trick with some vicious heavy punching..

If he’s not durable then I really don’t believe you have the first clue about what durable means in the boxing sense..

I get it that you really don’t like AJ, but not thinking Povetkin is durable, just to avoid giving g AJ any kind of “praise“ is just silly..

Unless you really believe him not to be durable? The. This seems even sillier..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Fury showed everyone how Wilder is lacking in basic boxing fundamentals and is low skilled at world level. Wilder has dynamite power and comes in great shape but you have to be willing to keep pressing him on to the back foot because he has never had and doesn't know how to fight this way.
    If Joshua has the balls to do it then he could take Wilder out but the last thing he can do is give him any respect in there.

Come off it.

Tough hard bastid..

To say that he is not, or was not durable is just off..

FFS, Wlad hit him with everything but the kitchen sink and could not get him out of there..

AJ did the trick with some vicious heavy punching..

If he’s not durable then I really don’t believe you have the first clue about what durable means in the boxing sense..

I get it that you really don’t like AJ, but not thinking Povetkin is durable, just to avoid giving g AJ any kind of “praise“ is just silly..

Unless you really believe him not to be durable? The. This seems even sillier..

Was durable , isn’t any longer and hasn’t been for some time, not that it’s a surprise the guy is 40 or thereabouts.

I like Joshua actually , have watched most of his fights and been rooting for him in all of them, I just think fury is the best hw and have done for some time, you take that as me not rating Joshua for some reason.

You have to admit Joshua is pushed heavily by sky and that makes some overestimate him ( not levelling that accusation at you btw)

Was durable , isn’t any longer and hasn’t been for some time, not that it’s a surprise the guy is 40 or thereabouts.

I like Joshua actually , have watched most of his fights and been rooting for him in all of them, I just think fury is the best hw and have done for some time, you take that as me not rating Joshua for some reason.

You have to admit Joshua is pushed heavily by sky and that makes some overestimate him ( not levelling that accusation at you btw)

So, was not durable when he fought AJ?

This was my point..I made this point..

Yes/no answer..

A yes doesn’t mean you have to feel like you are praising AJ.

And, pre AJ he was never stopped.

Post AJ never stopped..

I agree with you that Sky push him. Of course they do. That’s their job. He is Britain’s “best” HW. He is HW champion of the world...with Fury as well..

So, was not durable when he fought AJ?

This was my point..I made this point..

Yes/no answer..

A yes doesn’t mean you have to feel like you are praising AJ.

And, pre AJ he was never stopped.

Post AJ never stopped..

I agree with you that Sky push him. Of course they do. That’s their job. He is Britain’s “best” HW. He is HW champion of the world...with Fury as well..

I think AJ got povetkin at a good time, he was on his way down at that stage and his previous outing against price gave an indication of what would happen against a better operator.

I disagree that Joshua is Britain’s best heavyweight.

I think AJ got povetkin at a good time, he was on his way down at that stage and his previous outing against price gave an indication of what would happen against a better operator.

I disagree that Joshua is Britain’s best heavyweight.

Him and Fury are..

They need to fight to decide..

You know Price landed one single good shot that caught AP slightly off balance...?

One single shot.....That same scenario would have wobbled anyone..

Anyway, let’s hope they do fight..

I have AJ to beat Fury inside the distance..

Massive exaggeration. Wlad caught AJ with one really good shot and then coasted for a few rounds thinking it was in the bag when if he'd put the foot down on the gas he'd have got AJ out of there. Let AJ get his second wind and completely ****ed it.

Massive exaggeration. Wlad caught AJ with one really good shot and then coasted for a few rounds thinking it was in the bag when if he'd put the foot down on the gas he'd have got AJ out of there. Let AJ get his second wind and completely ****ed it.

I was talking about Wlad and AP..relating to his durability..

Him and Fury are..

They need to fight to decide..

You know Price landed one single good shot that caught AP slightly off balance...?

One single shot.....That same scenario would have wobbled anyone..

Anyway, let’s hope they do fight..

I have AJ to beat Fury inside the distance..

I saw the fight , price shouldn’t be troubling any top level fighter , and he had povetkin all over the shop.

I think fury will beat Joshua by tko, within 8 , if they fight next year .

• Advertisement

I was talking about Wlad and AP..relating to his durability..

Apologies my bad.

Advertisement