Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Price has absolutely zero chance lads. Saying he has a punchers chance is all well and good but he can't pull the trigger anymore. Be shocked if it goes more than four.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Morrison J wrote: »
    Price has absolutely zero chance lads. Saying he has a punchers chance is all well and good but he can't pull the trigger anymore. Be shocked if it goes more than four.

Hope your wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If price does get ko'd hopefully he'll hang up the gloves before he gets badly hurt.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Thought both men looked great at the weigh in, Parker is 9lbs lighter than his last fight and looks as good as I've ever seen him. Really looking forward to it now

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 55,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

But only needs to pull the trigger once and land heavy once...

There is a chance..

Hardly gets in there and throws no good committed and deliberate punches?

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

There is a chance..

You can trot out that arguement in any heavyweight fight though it doesn't make this one any less of a mismatch.

Povetkin went 12 rounds with Wlad Klitschko taking some big shots in the process. There is zero evidence he won't be able to take Price's shots even if Price does fight committed for the first time in years.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    If price does get ko'd hopefully he'll hang up the gloves before he gets badly hurt.

Hang up the gloves or at least go back to where he should be at domestic level. This is a gross mismatch tomorrow, nothing less. He's completely out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

There is a chance..

You can trot out that arguement in any heavyweight fight though it doesn't make this one any less of a mismatch.

Povetkin went 12 rounds with Wlad Klitschko taking some big shots in the process. There is zero evidence he won't be able to take Price's shots even if Price does fight committed for the first time in years.

How long ago? He hasn’t fought outside of Russia in 6 years and has been on helpers. He also went 12 rounds with Hammar against whom price threw away the fight.
    He’s meeting a better price physically at least and price is meeting a long at it, fleshy version of Povetkin.
    Look I agree he’s the underdog but this is still a massive chance for him

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Does having the ripped body help? I think of Ali, Lewis, Liston, foreman. None of those were that muscular but all very effective and the former two excellent movers

I don’t think you can definitely say it helps or hinders.

AJ is all genetics. Even if he was not a pro boxer he’d be looking the part...

Of course, being a dedicated pro athlete means he will likely look even more the more part, more defined and ripped, but the building blocks are already in place...

He is what he is, and I have a strong feeling that how he looks as he does isn’t that difficult for him to achieve...

Prime Ali was ripped enough by the way...

70s Foreman was a hulk, and Kenny Norton was some specimen.

It’s all individual. Some of the greats looked great (Holyfield) and some didn’t (Larry Holmes)

Bit off topic but if any of you have an hour or two to spare get and watch Facing Ali, a 2009 doc. Really interesting, with a lot of info and clips even Ali fans (like myself) wouldn’t have seen/known...

• Advertisement

Read that book. Fantastic. Larry Holmes seemed to have a bit of a chip!

Read that book. Fantastic. Larry Holmes seemed to have a bit of a chip!

Always had I felt. Tried to disguise it here and there with backhanded compliments. Just jealous I guess.

Foreman was the genuine one who really loved and admired Ali..

Frazier just flat out disliked him...kind of understand that.

Cooper was praising, but he, like Holmes I always felt liked to get digs in...

While since I read it but am I right in saying there’s a great section from Ernie Shavers?

Cooper comes across so well. Understandable popularity.

He tortured poor Frazier I’m happy he had that unmerciful left hook on 2 counts. Deserved vengeance for Frazier and the way GOAT just rolled around and up. What a hit.

Yea on foreman I think it took him some time but he reflected so well on it.

While since I read it but am I right in saying there’s a great section from Ernie Shavers?

Cooper comes across so well. Understandable popularity.

He tortured poor Frazier I’m happy he had that unmerciful left hook on 2 counts. Deserved vengeance for Frazier and the way GOAT just rolled around and up. What a hit.

Yea on foreman I think it took him some time but he reflected so well on it.

Yeh, the Shavers and Lyle sections are excellent...

Mother of god, Leon Spinks is some tragedy...

I loved the opening on Tunney Hunsaker. I was about 16 when I read it and was obsessed by Ali (and Elvis curiously!). I vividly remember reading about TH and his wife and he sounded like a lovely old granda. It was the first reference I remember to the notion of ‘fighting weight.’ TH was apparently not far away from his even at that age.
    Working as an Irish teacher I often do quizzes on trips etc. I’m always tempted to put the question of who was Ali’sfirst pro opponent... then I think again... I couldn’t bare to read answers like Tyson or mcgregor!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Great show. George Chuvalo is some lad to talk as well, great character and it’s awful how he suffered in later life.

Chuvalo is so articulate.

Right prediction time. I’m saying Price with the shocker in round 4 and AJ to have a little too much round 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Parker to stop Joshua in round number 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Always had I felt. Tried to disguise it here and there with backhanded compliments. Just jealous I guess.

Foreman was the genuine one who really loved and admired Ali..

Frazier just flat out disliked him...kind of understand that.

Cooper was praising, but he, like Holmes I always felt liked to get digs in...

Do you really believe that about Holmes? Always came across as a genuine, sincere friend and fan of Ali to me. Maybe I'll reconsider when I watch that doc.

As regards Ali, have just finished Jonathan Eig's Ali: A Life and while I wasn't sure there was much more to say on the subject, it's an engrossing and inspiring read. Not sure if there's much or anything new in it, but Eig writes beautifully and brings the whole incredible story together really well. Recommended.

• Advertisement

Do you really believe that about Holmes?

From all I have read and heard, yes I believe it...

Sure, he probably liked him somewhat, but there was jealousy and resentment there, and he didn’t hide it from me..

Sure, he probably liked him somewhat, but there was jealousy and resentment there, and he didn’t hide it from me..

Ah so you had the advantage of looking into his eyes as he explained it to you, that explains it so ;)

Nah, seriously, to me Holmes was always one of the good no bullsh!t boxing guys, i believe it was genuinely very upsetting for him to have to have beaten Ali up that night in Vegas. Maybe i'm giving him too much credit, but i'll watch that doc with an open mind.

On a related subject, one of my favourite ever sports articles was about a guy who, while trying to get the autograph of every Ali opponent (about 50 in all I think) managed to get them all except for that of Sweet Jimmy Robinson who was a late stand in for one of Ali's early fights. They tracked him down to Miami but never found him, Sweet Jimmy had just disappeared off the face of the earth. Great story and I think they made a doc about it, though have never seen it myself.

Do you really believe that about Holmes?

I agree on Holmes. I think he respected Ali but couldn’t stand that he lived in his shadow, even after beating him. I think Holmes was a victim of a lull era in boxing even though he reigned supreme. In ways it is a point that he never got the recognition merited.

I agree on Holmes. I think he respected Ali but couldn’t stand that he lived in his shadow, even after beating him. I think Holmes was a victim of a lull era in boxing even though he reigned supreme. In ways it is a point that he never got the recognition merited.

I think you've put that very well. I think he both respected and genuinely loved Ali, but did have issues with how he himself was portrayed. Would hardly be human if he didn't. Was he jealous? Possibly, but I dont think that begins to describe the complexity of the feelings he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,787 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Do you really believe that about Holmes? Always came across as a genuine, sincere friend and fan of Ali to me. Maybe I'll reconsider when I watch that doc.

Holmes hates the fact that he is so underrated, which he is. But the guy that came after Ali was never going to be liked. He reigned in an era that was low on real quality and a lot of the top quality guys he beat were well past their prime.

He was 48-0 though at one stage, 20 title defenses and he didn't lose a fight until he was 36. Certainly one of the top 10 heavyweights ever. A top 10 that doesn't include Tyson btw....;)

Ah so you had the advantage of looking into his eyes as he explained it to you, that explains it

Well, for me I didn’t didn’t see a real genuine love and respect and admiration..

It always came across to me as a bit disingenuous, forced and loath.

He didn’t have to look into my eyes. I’m a pretty good judge of character and body language, and can interpret words quite well...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

pac_man wrote: »
    I see Wilder is up to his old tricks again trying to stay relevant by "wanting a body" on his record. A gob****e.

Just saw the interview there, sickening talk from him. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Not flabby per se, just a little “I don’t know,” soft?

Soft? He has a visible six pac weighing in.

Poor Price. He was doing well in that fight but the quality of Povetkin’s work was very evident. He was standing stunned for an age before that ko. Feel sorry for him no doubt the online backlash will be brutal

• Advertisement

Right guys what you think? Firstly Parker had much more than most expected. AJ was better he had more attributes but Parker did much more than avoid the ko. I thought the scorecards were a bit wide but convincing victory.

Advertisement