Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    Interesting to read the views. Hate pricks who sit on the fence, though. I am with Haye and Bellew.

Either way, probably best to go the opposite of my take. Fury has duped me too much

55/45 AJ for me.

https://www.givemesport.com/1661441-tyson-mayweather-klitschko-boxing-stars-predict-fury-vs-joshua

Haye picking against Fury no way never seen that coming ,

Ohh wait , what is that ? a complete middle of the road fighter who made millions more than his talent deserved thanks to Sky and match room and also happens to be mates with AJ picked him over Fury ...who would have thought ,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Interesting to read the views. Hate pricks who sit on the fence, though. I am with Haye and Bellew.

Either way, probably best to go the opposite of my take. Fury has duped me too much

55/45 AJ for me.

https://www.givemesport.com/1661441-tyson-mayweather-klitschko-boxing-stars-predict-fury-vs-joshua

The greats apart from a salty Ukrainian pick fury !

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Cyrus wrote: »
    The greats apart from a salty Ukrainian pick fury !

Hopkins picking AJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Could Hopkins be going on colour as much as anything else? Interesting that the greats seem to favour Fury. I think he’s the better boxer but I don’t think he can keep AJ off him. I think AJ by KO whenever he breaks through it could be a sleepy 4/5 rounds of posturing but I think at some point AJ will explode and get Fury out of there with the combos especially the uppercut. I really hope to be wrong but that’s how I expect it to go. I really hope they both turn up in the right shape to fight. If Fury comes in without being serious then we’ll never know what would’ve happened. I can see me changing my mind coming closer to the fight but that’s it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Parker vs Chisora is now headline PVV?

• Advertisement

Crazy that this is a 50/50 fight and yet we are all worried about the physical shape one of the fighters could turn up in ,

Just goes to show Fury is by far the more naturally gifted fighter of the two but AJ should also be praised because the hardest part is to stay motived and dedicated to get yourself into peak condition to close the gap in talent ,

Really is a fantastic style clash,

One highly tuned muscular machine with simple yet very efficient footwork , With a small number of textbook shots but throw with extreme power
    Another with gas tank for days due to his comfort in the ring ,born to fight with ark ward but elusive footwork with a greater shot selection but less bang behind it ,

Both with questionable chins which is normal given the size of the men they take shots off,

Who comes out on top ?

Personally I think the comfort and savvy of Fury should be enough to stop AJ late but wouldn't be surprised or an upset if AJ catches him ,

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Parker vs Chisora is now headline PVV?

How the hell is this PPV.
    Comical.

Butson wrote: »
    How the hell is this PPV.
    Comical.

It’s absolute PPV...

And this is pathetically our world!

Whyte/Povetkin again PPV this week. A clearly past his best Povetkin vs. a gatekeeper at best, a gatekeeper that was KTFO a few months ago by AP

For some reason, both Whyte and Chisora are deemed PPV by Sky / Hearn.
    Nobody knows who these guys are outside boxing circles.

For some reason, both Whyte and Chisora are deemed PPV by Sky / Hearn.
    Nobody knows who these guys are outside boxing circles.

Yep. Both useless lumps!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

But people pay!!

gypsy79 wrote: »
    But people pay!!

Some do..

I wonder what the threshold is..what the revenue/business sense it is..

Some do..

I wonder what the threshold is..what the revenue/business sense it is..

I am lucky in that I have a very stable IPTV so dont pay

But the second fight is more intriguing than the first fight

In a COVID world I dont know how you suggest the boxers get in the ring. Finances need to be a given level to get them in the ring

I am lucky in that I have a very stable IPTV so dont pay

But the second fight is more intriguing than the first fight

In a COVID world I dont know how you suggest the boxers get in the ring. Finances need to be a given level to get them in the ring

I was more wondering on the profit/loss of it

If it is very little expense to put it on PPV, then makes sense..

Doubt it would be a “big” seller..

But wonder, if it costs very little to have it PPV, you’d wonder why more gick is not peddled to us..

I was more wondering on the profit/loss of it

If it is very little expense to put it on PPV, then makes sense..

Doubt it would be a “big” seller..

But wonder, if it costs very little to have it PPV, you’d wonder why more gick is not peddled to us..

My understanding there is no cost and the supplier (eg Sky) take 30% of the fee

We are given stuff for free to keep us interested. I was actually surprised that Okolie wasnt PPV

My understanding there is no cost and the supplier (eg Sky) take 30% of the fee

We are given stuff for free to keep us interested. I was actually surprised that Okolie wasnt PPV

You’re scaring me here!!!!!

I think the name of the fighters have to be known..

Okolie is a complete nobody outside of pure boxing fans. As is Glowacki

As desperate as some these PPV cards are, I think some criteria is used!!

And it’s not free to begin with. People pay a good sum for standard Sky Sports.

It’s a sickening add on fee they are trying to grab!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Usyk vs Chisora did over a million PPV buys.

The Nal wrote: »

Yes. I remember seeing that and thinking wtf..

Parker/Chisora could do similar so, and with Katie/Jonas being quite an interesting match, and its Irish connection...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

On the basis of his last few fights, you would have had to pay the audience to watch it.

On the basis of his last few fights, you would have had to pay the audience to watch it.

Just on the Usyk-Chisora fight: many were full praise for Chisora and the fight. I thought the fight was pants, and Chisora pants!

• Advertisement

I’d fooking seriously love AP to do a number on Whyte.

I have no issue on Whyte being favorite, but I think 4-1 on is too much here.

One good heavy AP shot could absolutely do the trick again. Whyte can be hit clean. AP probably same physically this week as late last year...

Plus, Whyte may be a wee bit more careful and gunshy to eliminate likelihood of a repeat KO loss; this may well affect him more. Sometimes best defense for some fighters is their own aggressive and committed offense..

I wonder will Whyte try to box and build up rounds and points, and if the KO comes he goes for it..similar to AJ plan vs Ruiz in fight 2..

Anyway, presents risks: being too careful means your foe is still there, maybe smelling the fear, giving him confidence to really commit, and possibly getting the KO again..

Whyte could be brave, or reckless depending on how you see it: thinking he’s got to take this dangerous man out before he is taken out. Goes for it and does the job, or goes for it and gets taken out himself.

Ah here, I like Dillian. God loves a tryer as they say. And he was close to chinning AJ in their first fight. He took all the fighters they put in front of him and finally found his banana skin. He's not the greatest heavyweight of our time, but he did enough to deserve a shot at this stage.

The Nal wrote: »

It did 280,000 buys in the UK

Ah here, I like Dillian. God loves a tryer as they say. And he was close to chinning AJ in their first fight. He took all the fighters they put in front of him and finally found his banana skin. He's not the greatest heavyweight of our time, but he did enough to deserve a shot at this stage.

He caught AJ with one punch...

He’s a lump. Gatekeeper.... barely!...

He caught AJ with one punch... He’s a lump. Gatekeeper.... barely!...

Well he's a popular lump! Just like my other hero Dave Allen was :D

Should be an interesting watch all the same. Povetkin has nothing to gain or lose really, but it's all on the line for Whyte at this stage. Well any chance of getting a title shot is on the line anyway. If he loses this, he will be years climbing back up in the game of snakes and ladders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think Whyte’s tactics first time round were decent, I watched a breakdown of the fight there tonight and they highlighted him bending down, inviting the body shots and the very lazy jab. I’m not sure that I see him correcting these issues in time for this fight. If he’s cagey I don’t think he has the jab to keep AP off him to get a points win, I think he needs to go after AP like a killer. If he invites him on I think it’s trouble. AP is more predictable in what he will do so it all depends on how Whyte takes risks or doesn’t and how open he is. I see Michael Hunter has tipped Povetkin might not be that much to draw on there. I haven’t heard if he’s got a fight lined up himself, very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone watch the...

Bruno v Tyson documentary on sky?? its excellent, still available for the next week i think

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I think Whyte’s tactics first time round were decent, I watched a breakdown of the fight there tonight and they highlighted him bending down, inviting the body shots and the very lazy jab. I’m not sure that I see him correcting these issues in time for this fight. If he’s cagey I don’t think he has the jab to keep AP off him to get a points win, I think he needs to go after AP like a killer. If he invites him on I think it’s trouble. AP is more predictable in what he will do so it all depends on how Whyte takes risks or doesn’t and how open he is. I see Michael Hunter has tipped Povetkin might not be that much to draw on there. I haven’t heard if he’s got a fight lined up himself, very quiet.

I thought Whyte was very foolish first time around,
    He changed trainer for that fight and it showed,
    Whyte's strength is he is big strong and ignorant , when he hurt AVP it was a sin to stand off and try to slowly pick him apart he is just not that type of fighter don't change what has got you there ,Hurt someone and get in his face and get it finished he made the same mistake against Parker but just about got through it ,

AVP has all the experience in the world that if you give him time he will land something at some stage,

fryup wrote: »
    anyone watch the...

Bruno v Tyson documentary on sky?? its excellent, still available for the next week i think

Yes. Watched it. Very enjoyable..

Looking at Tyson in 1991 mauling and molesting women in full view of people..

How the world has changed..

Bruno and that laugh. Very fooking irritating...very forced...

Anyway, some things I noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It did 280,000 buys in the UK

Whyte vs Chisora did half a million. Someones buying it!
    fryup wrote: »
    anyone watch the...

Thought it was alright. Hardly a rivalry there. Bruno caught Tyson with one half decent punch in 8 rounds over two fights.

Advertisement