Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Two very limited lads in this one,
    If Chisora is up for it I think he wins it ,

I actually think Katie Taylor will lose ,

Katie is too good for Jonas, I'd predict a late round stoppage.
    Bookies have her 1/4 and Jonas 7/2 that's a fair reflection in the difference in class imo.
    But....I think after this fight....she probably only has 2 real toto level fights in her,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

walshb wrote: »
    It is absolutely not a stacked undercard..

Only Taylor-Jonas interests me, and more to do with Ireland V England, rematch..

Rest fights are absolute nothing fights!

You havent been watching boxing long then. Many undercards have no names that a non boxing would know. Boxing isnt UFC. UFC fighters get ripped off as a result

There are two world title fights FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

gypsy79 wrote: »
    You havent been watching boxing long then. Many undercards have no names that a non boxing would know. Boxing isnt UFC. UFC fighters get ripped off as a result

He's probably been watching boxing a lot longer than you.
    Mind you he's still prone to the odd ridiculous opinion.....this isn't one of them however !

One of those "title fights" is Craig Richards against Bivol. Richards got outboxed by Frank Buglioni a few years ago and he's only improved a small bit since.
    The fact he managed to find the shots to stop Shakkan Pitters, does not make a fight Vs Bivol anyway reasonable.
    This is a 1-3 round blow out, and seeing as the WBA have as many as 3-4 champions per weight class, I don't give too much meaning to the fact there's a "title" on the line.

Taylor Vs Jonas without the amateur rivalry would seem a silly fight. Yes Jonas probably should have got the decision Vs Harper down at Super-Featherweight. But it was a close fight and for that to give you a shot at the undisputed champion at Lightweight is crazy, a rematch was the reasonable fight to make. Let's not forget it's not long ago Jonas was dominated and blasted out of there by Vivienne Obenauf, who is a gatekeeper to World level and nothing more.

Tennyson to be fair would be exciting if you matched him up with anyone or even an inanimate object.
    But as for competiveness, Straffon can dig a bit to the body and is aggressive, but he's so easy to hit this only goes one way, another early stoppage for Tennyson.

Eubank Vs Marcus Morrison. Morrison has one win at the equivalent to British title level and has lost to area level fighters, meanwhile Eubank is World class.
    It's not a real fight, another with the question of how long it lasts.

The main effect could go either way and is a decent fight. I think Chisora will pressure enough to make it a good spectacle, but just because the left hand column has some nice names doesn't make this a good undercard.
    These are showcase fights and little more.

The magnificent 7 card was an example of a stacked undercard, and rarely has Frank Warren or Matchroom delivered anything like it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, we are all well aware of that.

What is your point?

And I am still pondering whether or not to pay the 25 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Yes, we are all well aware of that.

What is your point?

And I am still pondering whether or not to pay the 25 euro...

Don't do it man.

The only way these PPVs will stop is if people vote with their wallets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Some farce at the weigh in.
    F*ckin donkey Chisora.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Classic Chisora on a PPV fight week. There's always something he does to try up the sales.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Classic Chisora on a PPV fight week. There's always something he does to try up the sales.

I suppose as he is very limited talent wise, he has desperation to fall back on.

And about as interesting as snails fooking!

I’m after going and buying that. 😖

I want to see Katie fight!

• Advertisement

Throw up a fight thread..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Hopefully Chisora gets his purse garnished after his stupid behaviour

I've some magic beans for sale....... although the beans in the fairytale proved to be a worthwhile investment :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Sky really do take the mick with their PPV's. Derek Chisora a man who's lost every major fight of his career and is past his best at this stage, vs Joseph Parker a man without a significant win in several years. I'd like to see Katie fight but no way would I pay for this extremely average card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Sky really do take the mick with their PPV's. Derek Chisora a man who's lost every major fight of his career and is past his best at this stage, vs Joseph Parker a man without a significant win in several years. I'd like to see Katie fight but no way would I pay for this extremely average card.

There are no crowds. The boxers need to be paid. This subsidises non PPV fights.

The maths can’t be that hard to understand

There are no crowds. The boxers need to be paid. This subsidises non PPV fights.

The maths can’t be that hard to understand

So you think it would be free if there were crowds?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I want to see Katie fight!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-TV-Stick-4K-Ultra-Hd-With-Alexa-Voice-Remote-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B079QB9BD7/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=fire+tv+stick&qid=1619867415&sprefix=fire+&sr=8-3

One of those plus a little bit of research and you'll never have to reward Sky for their nonsense PPV's again.
    I'd go into more detail but it's against forum rules.

They do them on offer ever so often too, probably buy it for the price of two PPV's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Listen I don't get the hate for Chisora, he knows his limits and he has actually got a few decent wins, but he just loves a fight and keeps on going. He realises that he will never get a world title shot. And David Haye has said "I've seen him do things in the gym that I have never seen him do before" so that's good enough for me! Hopefully it's not a snoozefest, as can happen with Parker's fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Dont think its hate for Chisora but he is a complete loon and I dont think his antics are there to sell tickets/PPVs. Honestly I fear for the chap and can see him fighting for another decade which says it all about boxing.

It is a very interesting undercard though but still wont be paying!

Listen I don't get the hate for Chisora, he knows his limits and he has actually got a few decent wins, but he just loves a fight and keeps on going. He realises that he will never get a world title shot. And David Haye has said "I've seen him do things in the gym that I have never seen him do before" so that's good enough for me! Hopefully it's not a snoozefest, as can happen with Parker's fights.

A lot of people make out that he is useless but I’ve honestly never seen anyone easily defeat Chisora. I mean obviously he’s not an all time great but he’s a good gatekeeper type.

Whyte is even a step up and tends to get even more hate despite having one of the best CVs in boxing right now.

Boxing fans are weird.

• Advertisement

A lot of people make out that he is useless but I’ve honestly never seen anyone easily defeat Chisora. I mean obviously he’s not an all time great but he’s a good gatekeeper type.

Whyte is even a step up and tends to get even more hate despite having one of the best CVs in boxing right now.

Boxing fans are weird.

Fury and Haye and Vitali bashed him. Chap has 10-11 losses

He’s muck! And not even a gatekeeper.

Has not a single win over anyone approaching great...

Nothing to do with weird. Watch him. A plodding lump.

Whyte is better, but not at all that good. Not a single win over any quality boxers..

AP is several years past his best!

I suppose, outside the top three, the rest are just pants IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Fury and Haye and Vitali bashed him. Chap has 10-11 losses

He’s muck! And not even a gatekeeper.

Has not a single win over anyone approaching great...

Nothing to do with weird. Watch him. A plodding lump.

Whyte is better, but not at all that good. Not a single win over any quality boxers..

AP is several years past his best!

I suppose, outside the top three, the rest are just pants IMO

I must add the woeful effort against Pulev to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Chisora was a decent gate keeper 2 or 3 years ago, He wasn't even good then just a big stubborn lump but he is done now ,
    Sky & match room will keep him around just to feed him to any up coming lads they have or if someone like Joyce can't get a fight Chisora can be one to keep him ticking over,

If I was Dubius id be calling him out to get back on track and a name of sorts under my belt ,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Chisora was a decent gate keeper 2 or 3 years ago, He wasn't even good then just a big stubborn lump but he is done now ,
    Sky & match room will keep him around just to feed him to any up coming lads they have or if someone like Joyce can't get a fight Chisora can be one to keep him ticking over,

If I was Dubius id be calling him out to get back on track and a name of sorts under my belt ,

he might be but if thats the case it tells you all need to know about Usyk and Parker at HW and what they will do.

i think the phrase is they will do nuttin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Cyrus wrote: »
    he might be but if thats the case it tells you all need to know about Usyk and Parker at HW and what they will do.

i think the phrase is they will do nuttin.

Parker has never been world level ,

Usyk is a fantastic boxer but he is just to small and doesn't hit hard enough for the HW lads,

I agree both will do nothing,

I think Joyce beats Usyk

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Parker has never been world level ,

Usyk is a fantastic boxer but he is just to small and doesn't hit hard enough for the HW lads,

I agree both will do nothing,

I think Joyce beats Usyk

I think you are probably right we joyce, certainly be interesting.

re parker i suppose the fact he had the wbo strap colours the view somewhat, but what he has done since suggests he isn't and won't be world level again.

Joyce-Usyk will be an interesting clash....

Joyce will bring it for as long as he can, which is great. Can Usyk outbox him all night? If Usyk can take Joyce's power, or avoid it, I think his feet and movement and volume win him a hard fought decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Cyrus wrote: »
    I think you are probably right we joyce, certainly be interesting.

re parker i suppose the fact he had the wbo strap colours the view somewhat, but what he has done since suggests he isn't and won't be world level again.

I’m with you lads I think Joyce gives anyone a tough night. He’s been very comfortable so far in his career bar one body shot that smartened him up a bit. Dubois was very young going into that fight so it doesn’t make him a world beater just yet.

I wonder would he convincingly beat Chisora? I had thought that anyone decent wipes the floor with him and used that to measure Usyk. Maybe Del Boy is better than I’ve given him credit. Tbf a lot of his bad losses were when he wasn’t living the life. Last 3/4 years he’s come on a lot

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I’m with you lads I think Joyce gives anyone a tough night. He’s been very comfortable so far in his career bar one body shot that smartened him up a bit. Dubois was very young going into that fight so it doesn’t make him a world beater just yet.

I wonder would he convincingly beat Chisora? I had thought that anyone decent wipes the floor with him and used that to measure Usyk. Maybe Del Boy is better than I’ve given him credit. Tbf a lot of his bad losses were when he wasn’t living the life. Last 3/4 years he’s come on a lot

Stylistically Del Boy would be a horrible match for Joe....Del is low, bobbing and comes up and under.....Joe is very stiff, upright and rigid.....

I slate Del Boy as much as anyone, but he comes to try and gives it a lot. On you all night unless you stop him being on you. Joe, I think, would be in for a long tough night vs Del Boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Feel like Joyce has gone from being severely underrated to overrated overnight. I'd favour Usyk to outbox him clearly enough. The main reason Joyce beat Dubois was because Dubois had zero head movement and Joyce couldn't miss with the jab to his eye. Usyk might have the best head movement in the division so its going to be a completely different story.

A small heavyweight in Bryant Jennings won plenty of rounds and went the distance with Joyce. I don't see a reason to not pick Usyk to get the better of him.

Advertisement