Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Parker did next to nothing. There's only so much credit you can give him for not getting knocked out. But more disappointed with AJ. Not a lot going on upstairs on tonight's evidence. Had no ideas at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Right guys what you think? Firstly Parker had much more than most expected. AJ was better he had more attributes but Parker did much more than avoid the ko. I thought the scorecards were a bit wide but convincing victory.

As long as Parker came in fit he was never going to get banged out in a few rounds. He's a smart fighter who moves very well. Been underrated all week by many.

Scores were wide but clear correct winner I agree.

Fury will be loving what he was seeing there though. Head movement, faints and a snappy jab beats Joshua.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Joshua won that because he had it all in his favour. He’s far bigger and stronger and could hold the ring. Parker did get to him and when it wasn’t a blast out he did look short of ideas but always in command.
    There’s a certain type of fan who thinks it’s ko or sh*t. There’s more to it than that for me. Parker fought his fight and the game plan worked to an extent. He could’ve gone for broke though as a champion he allowed the belt go a bit easy.
    A fit fury wins that type of fight every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

I had AJ winning the fight on my score card but not by as wide a margin as the judges at ringside. It was good boxing bout, Not a particularly exciting fight but a good technical contest, The Judges clearly felt that Parker wasn't doing enough in the rounds to win them and, AJ was on the front foot, and with the home town element, I can see how the judges would give most of the 50/50 rounds to AJ.

Apparently Wilder was going to travel if he could get in the ring with AJ after the fight. Something that would have been exciting, Matchroom turned down his request, probably a power move, bur still a missed opportunity to promote the super fight.

Totally. Eddie was spoofing about that as well. When Wlad could do it surely wilder is entitled. Now the only other man with a title.
    Here’s a question; how would wilder and Povetkin do vs Joshua?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Totally. Eddie was spoofing about that as well. When Wlad could do it surely wilder is entitled. Now the only other man with a title.

Just like Klitschko was, AJ would be all wrong for Povetkin. Not sure why Eddie is avoiding that one.

Just like Klitschko was, AJ would be all wrong for Povetkin. Not sure why Eddie is avoiding that one.[/quote]

You think? I’m not so sure. I had Povetkin down as a washed up roid head. His konof price tonight was brutal. Serious power. He’s very quick too. Joshua has the jab for him though. Price barely threw it

You think? I’m not so sure. I had Povetkin down as a washed up roid head. His konof price tonight was brutal. Serious power. He’s very quick too. Joshua has the jab for him though. Price barely threw it

Clean Povetkin is not really all that powerful. Joshua would Jab his head off all night and catch him with the big right hand when he tries to come in.
    I'd see a complete rematch of the Klitschko vs Povetkin fight.

Then he should take it to get a good ko win

Then he should take it to get a good ko win

It looks like Eddie now wants the Wilder fight.
    Last week Whyte was calling out Wilder, this week Povetkin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Just like Klitschko was, AJ would be all wrong for Povetkin. Not sure why Eddie is avoiding that one.

You could be right as Povetkin is decent and caused a not too far out of prime Wlad problems

I think myself it's the similar sized giants like Wilder and Fury that will do Joshua

Wlad had the power, size, skills but was 10 years too old fighting Joshua, would have ko'd him in his prime

Wouldn't mind seeing Whyte vs Parker or Parker vs Povetkin

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Do you mean in a WWE style triple threat match? :D

walshb wrote: »
    Bit off topic but if any of you have an hour or two to spare get and watch Facing Ali, a 2009 doc. Really interesting, with a lot of info and clips even Ali fans (like myself) wouldn’t have seen/known...

Thanks for that, a great recommendation. Watched it tonight.
    I always thought that Frazier was a kind hearted yet sensitive soul. I actually thought Holmes comes across well too.

Found this online: http://www.veoh.com/watch/v19615574nDFa9ynM

Do you mean in a WWE style triple threat match? :D

Hahahaha well done! I think he beats Povetkin in 6 and as argued above; the big guys with movement are likely to get to AJ. No one out there to frighten him though

• Registered Users Posts: 55,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hahahaha well done! I think he beats Povetkin in 6 and as argued above; the big guys with movement are likely to get to AJ. No one out there to frighten him though

If Povetkin lasts 6 surely he has a “chance” to KO AJ, bearing in mind that AJs chin is still up for debate. Povetkin can surely at least get to it in 6 rds?

THE way he throws yea that’s a fair assumption. He’s excellent at those overhand shots so heavy got (my least favorite phrase) a puncher’s chance. But within 6 could be round 2. I honestly don’t see him bothering AJ but I’d like to see that fight

If Povetkin lasts 6 surely he has a “chance” to KO AJ, bearing in mind that AJs chin is still up for debate. Povetkin can surely at least get to it in 6 rds?

How would you see that fight unfold yourself?

AJ by KO In 3-4 rds by keeping AP on the back-foot and just out of KO range..

I think APs chin is good, but not good enough to withstand AJs attacks.

But an AP surviving and attacking back to get a KO would not really surprise me...

AP with couple more inches height and reach and he is a potential winner..

Wilder has apparently agreed terms for the Joshua fight in the summer

AJ by KO In 3-4 rds by keeping AP on the back-foot and just out of KO range..

I think APs chin is good, but not good enough to withstand AJs attacks.

But an AP surviving and attacking back to get a KO would not really surprise me...

AP with couple more inches height and reach and he is a potential winner..

Very similar prediction to my own. Early to mid stoppage for AJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Fury being out of action for 3 years...I believe he will only take one warm up fight before AJ.

A few years ago it would have been a great fight. Now ? I think AJ would stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ah, fook it...

You mean we’re not gonna’ get AJ-Chisora now?

Ah, fook it...

You mean we’re not gonna’ get AJ-Chisora now?

Chisora to fight the winner?

Chisora to fight the winner?

Yes! Ali-Frazier eat your heart out.....

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/980888318299770880

Reading between the lines I reckon that means we get Wilder-Breazeale next. IBF called Pulev-Breazeale last week so assume Breazeale turned that down to fight Wilder and Whyte is next man up.

I reckon we get:

Whyte v Pulev
    Wilder v Breazeale
    Joshua v Miller

Morrison J wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/980888318299770880

Reading between the lines I reckon that means we get Wilder-Breazeale next. IBF called Pulev-Breazeale last week so assume Breazeale turned that down to fight Wilder and Whyte is next man up.

I reckon we get:

Whyte v Pulev
    Wilder v Breazeale
    Joshua v Miller

I think you might just be right. First two look likely. Miller I’m not so sure about. Povetkin could come back to England/Wales to fight AJ. Miller gets wiped off the floor in that fight for me. He won’t want to travel either. I certainly wouldn’t pay to see that unless the undercard was insane. Aj Povetkin though would be another story. At 38 I think he would be easy enough to talk to about purse

I think you might just be right. First two look likely. Miller I’m not so sure about. Povetkin could come back to England/Wales to fight AJ. Miller gets wiped off the floor in that fight for me. He won’t want to travel either. I certainly wouldn’t pay to see that unless the undercard was insane. Aj Povetkin though would be another story. At 38 I think he would be easy enough to talk to about purse

Miller in NYC I reckon. Get more US eyes on Joshua to build the Wilder fight.

If Joshua stays fighting in the UK I'd say Povetkin is likely alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Aj beats AP easy, early Ko ,
    I for a second didn't buy that Hearn or Aj really want the Wilder fight, I noticed AJ didn't say once he wanted the fight, When directly asked he froze for a second and then tried to make a joke by shouting what Whyte did last week, I know he said he'd knock him spark out but that was in reference to IF the fight happens,
    Anyone else find it odd Hearn keeps going on that Wilders camp haven't approached us, Surely Hearn should be approaching them if they really want that last belt ?

Advertisement