Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    I don't mean that

Give them both steel chins and let them go 12 rds...

AJ will be very competitive....He can box very well when needed

Cleaner and more clinical and technical punches and punch delivery...

Fury has faster and more versatile feet and movement

Its a bit of this and that here....they both have abilities that will make a pure boxing match very close in my view.

AJ outboxed and landslided Parker and Ruiz in his two distance wins...

vs Wlad he out-boxed him and was ahead on 2.3 cards I believe....Wlad can box!!!

Ruiz 2 he fought an absolute pig that fight has zero relevance to anything ,

Yes he out boxed Parker , who was just happy to stay on the outside and last 12 rounds ,Parker no where near the top level ,

Wlad was 41 years old and 2 years retired
    Yes he was 2- 1 up but Wlads landed a higher % of his shots , He also lucky to survive against him ,

Yes I agree it would be competitive but I still think Fury out boxes him 9 times out of 10

Personally i think AJ is to textbook, which is not a bad thing but there is not much flow to him, from punching to foot work , It's like a robot that has been thought patterns and never changes from it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

It's a tough fight to speculate on as it's difficult to know how Fury chooses to box. Does he come forward like in the Wilder rematch or does he box off the back foot. Favour him to win whichever way he likes but coming forward is definitely a more risky strategy against Joshua than it was Wilder. Joshua a much better inside fighter than Wilder and Fury could easily walk into a Joshua uppercut coming in. Think Joshua would only have a few rounds to get Fury out of there before he'd tire though. Couldn't see him living with the pace Fury would set if Fury was was coming forward, pushing him onto the back foot and leaning on him etc.

Think if I was Fury I'd box on the back foot for 6 rounds and then up the tempo and start to come forward and put it on Joshua down the stretch.

Pretty confident that Fury dictates what type of fight we get though. I don't see Joshua doing anything drastically different to his usual. Boxing from the outside like he did in the Ruiz rematch would make no sense against a guy like Fury.

Morrison J wrote: »
    It's a tough fight to speculate on as it's difficult to know how Fury chooses to box. Does he come forward like in the Wilder rematch or does he box off the back foot. Favour him to win whichever way he likes but coming forward is definitely a more risky strategy against Joshua than it was Wilder. Joshua a much better inside fighter than Wilder and Fury could easily walk into a Joshua uppercut coming in. Think Joshua would only have a few rounds to get Fury out of there before he'd tire though. Couldn't see him living with the pace Fury would set if Fury was was coming forward, pushing him onto the back foot and leaning on him etc.

Think if I was Fury I'd box on the back foot for 6 rounds and then up the tempo and start to come forward and put it on Joshua down the stretch.

Pretty confident that Fury dictates what type of fight we get though. I don't see Joshua doing anything drastically different to his usual. Boxing from the outside like he did in the Ruiz rematch would make no sense against a guy like Fury.

Agreed impossible to call,

Always if someone lands big early the whole game plans could go out the window ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

14th of August. 23:00 Saudi time so we're looking at watching the main event here around 8pm. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

much as i would love it i dont think we see the same fury that fought wilder, as you say they exploited a weakness in wilder that isnt there in joshua, so i agree opening half will be fury boxing and i expect him to step on the gas in the later rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Macakern has boxers in the Olympics thats why its 14th August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

It will be held in a purpose build stadium.... serious bucks being plowed into this fight

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My Ruiz, Parker and Wlad examples were simply examples where AJ out-boxed his opposition.....

Most the others lasted no time due to being knocked out

How he boxed v Ruiz and Wlad and Parker may mean damn all when trying to box a 6 feet 8/9 Fury.....of course...

The wider point is that AJ can adapt and can box...

Nobody should be so sure that if this goes rounds, that AJ won't be in it......

Big, tall, rangy, strong and can punch very smoothly and cleanly and clinically...

Fury will need to be boxing to his best to be competitive...same for AJ

Both men can box with each other...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

It will be held in a purpose build stadium.... serious bucks being plowed into this fight

These gulf states and their stadiums are this centuries pharaohs with their pyramids haha.

Having said that, roll on August haha lovely that it's on at our time.

Cyrus wrote: »
    much as i would love it i dont think we see the same fury that fought wilder, as you say they exploited a weakness in wilder that isnt there in joshua, so i agree opening half will be fury boxing and i expect him to step on the gas in the later rounds.

True I do think coming forward does exploit one decent weakness in Joshua though in his gas tank. Fury might literally come forward, lean on him, drain the stamina out of him and take him out in the mid rounds. I don't think Joshua can live with a high paced fight like Fury can. The fact he's still with Sugar Hill makes me think that tactic is a high possibility as I don't see Sugar Hill being fully on board with Fury fighting a negative fight on the back foot.

If Fury can come forward while protecting himself sufficiently from the uppercut I could see him giving Joshua absolute hell. I'm not convinced Joshua would be as game or durable as Wilder was either. Could definitely see a scenario where Fury ends it early if that's the tactic he chooses but it's obviously a strategy that brings that bit more risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

True I do think coming forward does exploit one decent weakness in Joshua though in his gas tank. Fury might literally come forward, lean on him, drain the stamina out of him and take him out in the mid rounds. I don't think Joshua can live with a high paced fight like Fury can. The fact he's still with Sugar Hill makes me think that tactic is a high possibility as I don't see Sugar Hill being fully on board with Fury fighting a negative fight on the back foot.

If Fury can come forward while protecting himself sufficiently from the uppercut I could see him giving Joshua absolute hell. I'm not convinced Joshua would be as game or durable as Wilder was either. Could definitely see a scenario where Fury ends it early if that's the tactic he chooses but it's obviously a strategy that brings that bit more risk.

AJ's gas tank is definitely not the best - be interesting to see if he can counter such a tactic, guess he will need to be able to hurt Fury to keep him off in such a case

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

AJ's gas tank is definitely not the best - be interesting to see if he can counter such a tactic, guess he will need to be able to hurt Fury to keep him off in such a case

His fuel tank is ok.
    It's his air to fuel ratio that's out I think.
    Could probably do with a k&n air filter for starters :D

He slimmed down a good bit before the Ruiz rematch knowing he'd probably have to go 12 rounds and manage the gas tank. Thought he looked quite fragile in that fight in the few times he did exchange. Not sure if the lack of weight played a part in that or not. Can't see slimming down working well against Fury though anyhow. Only gives Fury more of a chance to maul him inside. Won't help that Fury is a very good body puncher too.

Probably does need to land something big early to get Fury's respect. At the same time Fury had been dropped twice by Wilder and took a couple of decent shots early in the rematch but still kept coming forward. Think he's quite relentless when he wants to be.

Have to say I'd find it very difficult to pick Joshua to actually win this. Can see several ways of Fury winning it. I struggle when it comes to Joshua. Only thing I really think Joshua brings that might give Fury issues is his ability to punch in combinations. At the elite level Fury has faced Wlad and Wilder. Both more single shot merchants. Do think Joshua's ability to put his combinations together makes it much trickier for Fury to make him miss and the possibility of Fury getting hit with something he doesn't see coming much greater. Just think even if Fury does get caught, Joshua doesn't really have one shot KO power and Fury has proved he has excellent powers of recuperation when dropped. Think Joshua has it all to do personally.

AJ has one shot fight changing power....type power that can really hurt

He won't need one shot lights out power here....enough connection and power to badly badly hurt....

Needs to land, though

Fury's two best ways to win.....move and box and keep it long range, or go for AJ, smother him and try bully him all night at pace....the latter option probably more risky. But, if Fury can avoid, and/or take AJs power, then he should tire AJ for a late stoppage type win....

AJ has one shot fight changing power....type power that can really hurt

He won't need one shot lights out power here....enough connection and power to badly badly hurt....

Do we know that for sure? We've seen Fury dropped numerous times but nearly every time he finishes the round the stronger. Joshua doesn't put peoples lights out, more stuns them but is a really good finisher. Take the first Ruiz fight for example though. Drops Ruiz with a great shot but Ruiz gets up and drops Joshua. I'd feel much better about Joshua's chances in this fight if he had legit knock your opponent out unconscious type of power. I feel quite confident in Fury standing up to his power to be honest.

Obviously if Joshua lands the right shot he can stop anyone but I couldn't pick Joshua to win knowing he needs to land such a good shot to win especially against a guy as slippery and tough as Fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Do we know that for sure? We've seen Fury dropped numerous times but nearly every time he finishes the round the stronger.

Isn't it more a case of finishing the round in a clinch?

Bar the mad final round resurrection vs wilder where Wilder seemingly had zero left after dropping him and celebrating as if the fight was won.

For sure the time pajkic dropped him with the big over hand shot he clinched his way to the bell I'm near certain he did a great deal of clinching after Cunningham dropped him too.

Fury really doesn't like when he cannot boss the clinch. It's one of the main reasons Wallin gave him bother. Fury struggled to contain him in the clinch and Joshua needs to make sure it's the same in their fight.

Isn't it more a case of finishing the round in a clinch?

Bar the mad final round resurrection vs wilder where Wilder seemingly had zero left after dropping him and celebrating as if the fight was won.

For sure the time pajkic dropped him with the big over hand shot he clinched his way to the bell I'm near certain he did a great deal of clinching after Cunningham dropped him too.

Fury really doesn't like when he cannot boss the clinch. It's one of the main reasons Wallin gave him bother. Fury struggled to contain him in the clinch and Joshua needs to make sure it's the same in their fight.

Maybe my memory is wrong but I remember him landing a massive right hand on Cunningham very soon after being dropped. Thought his legs were back pretty quickly. Wilder 1 the same. Dropped heavy and landed a big shot and ended up on the front foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Joshua’s power gives him a chance for sure, and I’d agree that if he is to win it’ll probably be early.
    There’s no way he can fight like he did in the second Ruiz fight, where his greater reach and the terrible conditioning of Ruiz meant an easy victory. That definitely won’t work.
    It will be interesting to see how Fury approaches it for sure, have a hunch it may be something like his first fight against Wilder.

Be interesting to hear the excuses should Fury lose..

AJ loses, there won’t be excuses. He just loses..

Fury fans I reckon will be full of excuses..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Christ that sounds like a comment from a fan of Liverpool or Man United. Both trying to portray the other as being worse/ lesser because.........[insert reason]

Fans of either fighter will bitch and moan should they lose and give plenty of excuses. The fighters themselves will likely have few, both seem to be the "better man won on the night" type.
    Granted Fury hasn't lost, but he took the robbery of a draw Vs Wilder very well.

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    Christ that sounds like a comment from a fan of Liverpool or Man United. Both trying to portray the other as being worse/ lesser because.........[insert reason]

Fans of either fighter will bitch and moan should they lose and give plenty of excuses. The fighters themselves will likely have few, both seem to be the "better man won on the night" type.
    Granted Fury hasn't lost, but he took the robbery of a draw Vs Wilder very well.

Not at all

Fury seems to attract that kind of fan base. Excuse!

You even read it pre fight. Fury will only lose “if” he doesn’t prepare properly...

God forbid he prepare properly and dares to lose!

I reckon the lads make 30-40 million pounds each on this one!

lucky for you that you wont have to make any excuses for AJ because you will have every base covered for an outcome :)

I'm interested to see how the two lads approach the build up ,

Will there be much back and forth , AJ normally keeps his mouth shut I wonder will he bite this time ,

I'm interested to see how the two lads approach the build up ,

Will there be much back and forth , AJ normally keeps his mouth shut I wonder will he bite this time ,

It's the type fight that if not a word was said it would sell.

And I personally don't care if not a word is spoken. I'll simply tune in Aug 14 to see AJ get the job done.

It's huge. Biggest fight this year no doubt, and up there with biggest fight this century.

Two global names. Two Brits. Two Heavyweight champions. What more could we want!

And I personally don't care if not a word is spoken. I'll simply tune in Aug 14 to see AJ get done.

It's huge. Biggest fight this year no doubt, and up there with biggest fight this century.

Two global names. Two Brits. Two Heavyweight champions. What more could we want!

FYP :D

And I personally don't care if not a word is spoken. I'll simply tune in Aug 14 to see AJ get the job done.

Oh I agree
    But for entertainment side & also it can help give a glimpse at who is feeling the pressure,
    Remember Froch v Groves 1 , Froch really struggled to hold it together it was a fascinating watch ,

Cyrus wrote: »
    FYP :D

You're like the monkey I can't get off me back!:P

Oh I agree
    But for entertainment side & also it can help give a glimpse at who is feeling the pressure,
    Remember Froch v Groves 1 , Froch really struggled to hold it together it was a fascinating watch ,

Spot on

We all need a build up

I'd love an all access or 24/7 type video show for these lads

I think that would be very enjoyable and insightful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Spot on

We all need a build up

I'd love an all access or 24/7 type video show for these lads

I think that would be very enjoyable and insightful

Aw I dunno if I’d bother with a show like that. Aj would be strutting around naming brands and Fury would be using his 6th sense to seek out people with mental health problems to take under his wing and save.
    If they’d do it just fly on the wall and show the training it would be worth a watch

Advertisement