Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if Wilder fights Fury next,
    Can you imagine how rattled he will be in the build up ,
    His usual talking slowly for emphasis like some corny movie line will just be laughed at by Fury ,
    He will do well to make it to the ring without losing his mind ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

If we have Fury Wilder III I’m not sure it’s as much a foregone conclusion as you guys are saying. Not sure wilder can be any more mentally beaten than he was last time. Fury can’t be depended upon to stay disciplined. One big connection and Wilder wins it.

I think aj kos Usyk mid to late rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if Wilder fights Fury next,
    Can you imagine how rattled he will be in the build up ,
    His usual talking slowly for emphasis like some corny movie line will just be laughed at by Fury ,
    He will do well to make it to the ring without losing his mind ,

I would imagine Wilder would, well he should at least, take a similar approach to how he has gone about his business in the last few months. Say very little to nothing at all. If anything it might have more potential to unsettle Fury? He has been looking to the Joshua fight, thinking the Wilder one is dead and buried going by what Arum and Hearn have said whereas Wilder has been working steadily toward this one goal all the time.

Not saying it would make much difference ultimately, it would take a lot for him to reverse the outcome all things considered at this stage but wouldn't mind seeing it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Morrison J wrote: »
    I genuinely think one of the main reasons they've rushed into making a Fury fight is they know the Usyk fight is a tough one and a loss ruins the value of a Fury fight going forward. Joshua been backed into a corner.

They've been trying to make a fight with Fury since early 2018...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

They've been trying to make a fight with Fury since early 2018...

Don't think they ever made a proper offer back then to be fair. All the talk was Joshua v Wilder in 2018 which fell apart.

I remember Hearn saying he offered Fury a three fight deal of Whyte, Bellew and then Joshua which was never realistic.

• Advertisement

Don't think they ever made a proper offer back then to be fair. All the talk was Joshua v Wilder in 2018 which fell apart.

I remember Hearn saying he offered Fury a three fight deal of Whyte, Bellew and then Joshua which was never realistic.

Never got to the offer stages of talks. Fury wouldn't accept any talk of 70/30 or 60/40 (I can't recall which one) despite being inactive for 3 years.

He wanted 60/40 in his favour or 50/50. And then ended up fighting Wilder for less money anyways.

However the draw followed by subsequent win were the best thing to ever happen Fury from a monetary perspective.

Fury and Joshua has been in the making for a long time and from what I can see on media channels and social media it's the only fight that is wanted by fans globally including America.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

squinn2912 wrote: »
    If we have Fury Wilder III I’m not sure it’s as much a foregone conclusion as you guys are saying. Not sure wilder can be any more mentally beaten than he was last time. Fury can’t be depended upon to stay disciplined. One big connection and Wilder wins it.

Agree. Fury will out box him but yeah, one big shot....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Never got to the offer stages of talks. Fury wouldn't accept any talk of 70/30 or 60/40 (I can't recall which one) despite being inactive for 3 years.

He wanted 60/40 in his favour or 50/50. And then ended up fighting Wilder for less money anyways.

However the draw followed by subsequent win were the best thing to ever happen Fury from a monetary perspective.

Fury and Joshua has been in the making for a long time and from what I can see on media channels and social media it's the only fight that is wanted by fans globally including America.

if you are fury, despite the inactivity, joshua is walking around with your belts, having never won them from you, would you take 70/30?

Cyrus wrote: »
    if you are fury, despite the inactivity, joshua is walking around with your belts, having never won them from you, would you take 70/30?

Fury doesn't care about money though...

I'm sure they'll will find a way to avoid Fury/Wilder 3. Literally nobody in the world wants that fight again. Realistically its 2 - 0 Fury.

If Wilder wants to be relevant again he should smash Whyte if he can and go for the winner of AJ/Fury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fury doesn't care about money though...

He could have fooled me the man is head to toe in versace's gaudiest clobber

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

The general sports fan in America doesn't care about AJ v Fury. Even some boxing fans are not too bothered by it. Bob Arum said the same.

Cyrus wrote: »
    He could have fooled me the man is head to toe in versace's gaudiest clobber

Ara I know well. Twas just a jibe at the man of the people shtick he does portray sometimes.
    Butson wrote: »
    The general sports fan in America doesn't care about AJ v Fury. Even some boxing fans are not too bothered by it. Bob Arum said the same.

Bob Arum is lying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Butson wrote: »

Bob Arum is a rat has been that is being wiped out by Hearne so threw in with a druggy.

Lets call it what it is. He'll say anything to make himself sound relevant.

Bob Arum is a rat has been that is being wiped out by Hearne so threw in with a druggy.

Wow

I mean, sometimes it's okay to say nothing and not display that kind of ignorance like. Sky has done a real number on a section of the boxing public these last few years obviously.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

so wilder asked for 20m step aside money and fury has declined

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    so wilder asked for 20m step aside money and fury has declined

Is that all? ;)

If he is actually putting figures on stepping aside though I am sure a deal can be done so and the fight with fury and Joshua can still take place in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Is that all? ;)

If he is actually putting figures on stepping aside though I am sure a deal can be done so and the fight with fury and Joshua can still take place in August.

Fury called him a joker and said it looks like he will have to crack his skull again.
    if the fight goes ahead wilder wont make that much from it, he would be better off taking a smaller amount and having a scrap with dillian whyte or ruiz

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Wilder v Fury II did 850k ppv buys in America.
    That was with the full might of ESPN and Fox promoting the hell out of it. Ads in the Super Bowel etc. Two loudmouths, one of which is American.

Do you really think Fury v AJ will resonate in America. AJ has appeared there once on a streaming platform that was pretty unknown at the time, and got beaten by an overweight Mexican.

Get real.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Fury called him a joker and said it looks like he will have to crack his skull again.
    if the fight goes ahead wilder wont make that much from it, he would be better off taking a smaller amount and having a scrap with dillian whyte or ruiz

I think the best outcome from Wilders pov is get the next shot sown up, get the money to step aside and go have a tune up fight without doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wilder is being badly advised here,
    Take 5 million or whatever you can get max ,
    Then you can fight the winner for the Undisputed & make more cash , Instead of one lesser pay day , Also if AJ wins he has a far better chance of beating him than Fury ,

That all without even going into how he has no chance of beating Fury without having a few easier fights to switch things up a little ,

The problem with Fury/Wilder 3 is what happens if Wilder actually does manage to get the win?
    Surely that would mean yet another rematch... which will probably be in 2022 making it a 4 year rivalry.

Which means AJ will probably fight Uysk and Whyte will be left looking for opponents again.

Feels like AJ hasn't had a really big fight in years now.

Think people are underestimating how big Fury v Wilder III would be tbh especially in the US. Revenge stories always sell big. I think Wilder would be mad to take a 5 mill pay off given he makes five or six times that by making the fight. Nothing is guaranteed after that.

At the end of the day Wilder had a signed contract and Fury chose not to fight him. Why would he sign a contract to fight him at a later date and trust Fury to deliver. Take the fight while its there.

The problem with Fury/Wilder 3 is what happens if Wilder actually does manage to get the win?
    Surely that would mean yet another rematch... which will probably be in 2022 making it a 4 year rivalry.

Which means AJ will probably fight Uysk and Whyte will be left looking for opponents again.

If Wilder knocks out Fury a fourth fight will be one of the biggest fights in boxing history realistically. Will sell a **** load. Don't think either fighter would be worrying about Joshua.

Last big fight was Klitschko. 4 years ago. State of boxing. Prime years and he hasn't fought Fury or Wilder who are both active and both had/have belts. Just fought a few mandies and a couple of washed up fighters on the way out.

Its no wonder the UFC is as big as it is. Love him or hate him, Dana would've had all these guys fight multiple times by now like the middleweights in the 80s did.

The Nal wrote: »
    Last big fight was Klitschko. 4 years ago. State of boxing. Prime years and he hasn't fought Fury or Wilder who are both active and both had/have belts. Just fought a few mandies and a couple of washed up fighters on the way out.

Its no wonder the UFC is as big as it is. Love him or hate him, Dana would've had all these guys fight multiple times by now like the middleweights in the 80s did.

Paying your fighter peanuts so they have no option other than to jump into big fights is hardly a fair business model either though in fairness. I don't think the way the UFC does it is the answer. The amount of fighters who sound punch-drunk that are still taking regular beatings because they need the money is a bit tragic.

Paying your fighter peanuts so they have no option other than to jump into big fights is hardly a fair business model either though in fairness. I don't think the way the UFC does it is the answer. The amount of fighters who sound punch-drunk that are still taking regular beatings because they need the money is a bit tragic.

Same for any journeymen fighters in the fight game. Take Booker who Pulev fought recently. He earned $30k for the fight. There are fighters on UFC Fight night prelims earning that.

I'm referring to the top guys/girls. McGregor, Usman, Jones, Adesanya, Ngannou, Miocic, Nunes, Shevchenko et al. All fought the best in their division and have jumped/dropped weight to fight aswell. A lot have made a shedload of cash too. Its very rare that fights fans want don't happen. Thats always been the way in the UFC.

The two most famous British HWs in history not having fought yet is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Nah state of the heavyweight division. There’s big fights happening constantly if you look beyond AJ/Fury/Wilder

Think people are underestimating how big Fury v Wilder III would be tbh especially in the US. Revenge stories always sell big. I think Wilder would be mad to take a 5 mill pay off given he makes five or six times that by making the fight. Nothing is guaranteed after that.

At the end of the day Wilder had a signed contract and Fury chose not to fight him. Why would he sign a contract to fight him at a later date and trust Fury to deliver. Take the fight while its there.

The last one didn't get close to break a million PPV in the state's did it though?

• Advertisement

Same for any journeymen fighters in the fight game. Take Booker who Pulev fought recently. He earned $30k for the fight. There are fighters on UFC Fight night prelims earning that.

I'm referring to the top guys/girls. McGregor, Usman, Jones, Adesanya, Ngannou, Miocic, Nunes, Shevchenko et al. All fought the best in their division and have jumped/dropped weight to fight aswell. A lot have made a shedload of cash too. Its very rare that fights fans want don't happen. Thats always been the way in the UFC.

The two most famous British HWs in history not having fought yet is criminal.

Lennox Lewis and who?

Advertisement