Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Fury and AJ going at it on twitter.
    Childish nonsense.

Sick of the whole thing at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Lennox Lewis and who?

Well, bit of a grey area there!
    Nah state of the heavyweight division. There’s big fights happening constantly if you look beyond AJ/Fury/Wilder

Indeed. But the HW division is the big one and having it held up like it is for years after 15 years of a snoozefest is a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The Nal wrote: »
    Well, bit of a grey area there!

Indeed. But the HW division is the big one and having it held up like it is for years after 15 years of a snoozefest is a shambles.

Held up for 15 years is a bit much. We had Fury v Vladimir, AJ v Vladimir, and the 2 Fury v Wilder fights in the last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Not to mention the era of Audley!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Last big fight was Klitschko. 4 years ago. State of boxing. Prime years and he hasn't fought Fury or Wilder who are both active and both had/have belts. Just fought a few mandies and a couple of washed up fighters on the way out.

Its no wonder the UFC is as big as it is. Love him or hate him, Dana would've had all these guys fight multiple times by now like the middleweights in the 80s did.

Wasn't even a big fight really ,Wlad was two years retired 41 years of age and coming off a loss,

• Advertisement

Butson wrote: »
    Fury and AJ going at it on twitter.
    Childish nonsense.

Sick of the whole thing at this stage

I AJ hasn't said a peep for about a year now and all of a sudden pipes up when the fight is off ,

Do me a favour will ye ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Fury v Wilder 3
    Joshua v Whyte 2
    Usyk v Joyce

I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Morrison J wrote: »
    Fury v Wilder 3
    Joshua v Whyte 2
    Usyk v Joyce

I reckon.

This definitely ending the Joshua v Fury fight so?

Disappointing if so but think it will still be made as can see them both winning any respective fights.

If Wilder forces a rematch i hope Fury (not a huge fan of the man) absolutely embarrasses him in the ring.

This definitely ending the Joshua v Fury fight so?

Disappointing if so but think it will still be made as can see them both winning any respective fights.

If Wilder forces a rematch i hope Fury (not a huge fan of the man) absolutely embarrasses him in the ring.

I don't see them offering Wilder 20 million to step aside tbh. Unless the Saudi's say **** it and come up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fury v Wilder 3
    Joshua v Whyte 2
    Usyk v Joyce

I reckon.

dont think so Whytes ranking is with the WBC right, AJ doesnt have that belt but he does have a mandatory on the WBO.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    dont think so Whytes ranking is with the WBC right, AJ doesnt have that belt but he does have a mandatory on the WBO.

I think he'll drop the WBO belt and give Whyte a voluntary. They'll spin it by saying Whyte deserves his shot. Easier fight than Usyk imo and will sell far more in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Fury v Wilder 3
    Joshua v Whyte 2
    Usyk v Joyce

I reckon.

but usyk is mandatory and eddie has to prove by tomorrow that the aj v fury fight is going ahead or the wbo is going to enforce the mandatory fight

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Meh it’s not really “the big one”, maybe to casual fans and MMA fans. Canelo vs Golovkin was a way bigger deal and got a lot more ppv buys than say Wilder vs Fury 2 for example. The fighters probably brought home more too.

The HW division to me is more like a side show, yeah it entertains me and I’ll watch the big fights but the technical level just isn’t there compared to the lighter weights. Be interesting to see what a normal sized heavy by traditional standards like Usyk can do with his superior technique against the giants that dominate the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Not to mention the era of Audley!!

Legend! ha ha

Have you ever seen a fighter with so little punch resistance in your life?

AJ v Fury just isn't going to happen for 3 or 4 years,

You just know now that one of them will lose and the whole thing will be derailed awful shame ,

AJ v Fury just isn't going to happen for 3 or 4 years,

You just know now that one of them will lose and the whole thing will be derailed awful shame ,

What a shame that would be. I think it’s the only real blockbuster generational fight in the HW division.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A bit of a shame, but we need to look on the bright side

Looks like we get two big HW bouts here..

Late July we get Wilder/Fury III...

Maybe August/Sept we get AJ/Usyk..

Fair play to Fury, in again with a huge puncher in Wilder..

Fury will be favorite, but one clean shot is all Wilder may need..

Usyk I feel is just not big or strong enough. 210 lbs soaking wet vs a man 35 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller, who is a heavy puncher..

walshb wrote: »
    A bit of a shame, but we need to look on the bright side

Looks like we get two big HW bouts here..

Late July we get Wilder/Fury III...

Maybe August/Sept we get AJ/Usyk..

Fair play to Fury, in again with a huge puncher in Wilder..

Fury will be favorite, but one clean shot is all Wilder may need..

Usyk I feel is just not big or strong enough. 210 lbs soaking wet vs a man 35 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller, who is a heavy puncher..

Yes easier task for Joshua I think

Yes. I think so, too

Fury can win again, of course. But Wilder is just very dangerous power wise!

Yes. I think so, too

Fury can win again, of course. But Wilder is just very dangerous power wise!

I'd be wary alright

If he has made some adjustments he will be dangerous.

• Advertisement

I'd be wary alright

If he has made some adjustments he will be dangerous.

Well, it’s first time in a while that I will be actively wanting Fury to win

He loses and it could either call off AJ fight, or put a real dampener on it

And hope he dominates here. Wilder is a pr1ck..

So. Fury and AJ to win, hopefully setting up late 2021 early 2022 superfight

In the second fight I was hopeful for Fury but not convinced. I thought his best tactic was to plant and throw rather than trying to stay behind the jab. I didn’t think hed dominate it so much. Wilder didn’t do himself justice at all I think he’s much better than that. Problem for him is that he was shattered mentally and made to look like a ridiculous man child who watched too much power rangers. Coming back from that is hard. Fury was struggling with the pace he set himself. Nothing certain about the third meeting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Arbuckle

In the second fight I was hopeful for Fury but not convinced. I thought his best tactic was to plant and throw rather than trying to stay behind the jab. I didn’t think hed dominate it so much. Wilder didn’t do himself justice at all I think he’s much better than that. Problem for him is that he was shattered mentally and made to look like a ridiculous man child who watched too much power rangers. Coming back from that is hard. Fury was struggling with the pace he set himself. Nothing certain about the third meeting

Fury wasn't struggling with the pace. He was struggling with the engine because he had cut alot of weight drastically and hadn't boxed at his new weight. His father openely was saying he was worried.

If Joshua can beat Usyk in emphatic style like Fury did Wilder I'd be very very impressed. People who think Joshua will blow Usyk out of there have forgotten this is a Joshua who had to resort to jab and hold tactics against Ruiz, would've gone the distance with Takam if it wasn't for a trigger happy referee and couldn't pin down a much slower Joseph Parker.

It's a tricky fight for Joshua and I'd fully expect to see the Joshua from the Ruiz rematch who takes zero risks out of fear of being countered. Big ring, jab and take it to the cards job. He'll be against a better, fitter fighter this time though. Very interesting fight.

If Joshua can beat Usyk in emphatic style like Fury did Wilder I'd be very very impressed. People who think Joshua will blow Usyk out of there have forgotten this is a Joshua who had to resort to jab and hold tactics against Ruiz, would've gone the distance with Takam if it wasn't for a trigger happy referee and couldn't pin down a much slower Joseph Parker.

It's a tricky fight for Joshua and I'd fully expect to see the Joshua from the Ruiz rematch who takes zero risks out of fear of being countered. Big ring, jab and take it to the cards job. He'll be against a better, fitter fighter this time though. Very interesting fight.

I get what you’re saying and you’ve thought your point through from the aj perspective 100% but thinking about Usyk this is the guy who got bullied around the ring and looked utterly unimpressive against Chisora! I think it’ll go horribly wrong for him

Arbuckle wrote: »
    Fury wasn't struggling with the pace. He was struggling with the engine because he had cut alot of weight drastically and hadn't boxed at his new weight. His father openely was saying he was worried.

By the time the second fight came round he’d fought 3 fights after the drastic weight loss. His father was gloating “that’s what it’s like to be hit by a 19 stone man” he continued to suggest it should be he who would be picked to face Mike Tyson... man could openly say just about anything

I get what you’re saying and you’ve thought your point through from the aj perspective 100% but thinking about Usyk this is the guy who got bullied around the ring and looked utterly unimpressive against Chisora! I think it’ll go horribly wrong for him

Does Joshua have the engine and trust in his chin to fight on the front foot to the extent that Chisora does? I don't think so tbh.

I think it'll be a very different fight to the Chisora-Usyk one. Joshua can't afford to lose this so can't afford to be gun-ho/reckless and risk being countered. I really think he'll try a carbon copy of the Ruiz rematch performance and stink the place out knowing he'll get it on the cards as long as he stays on his feet.

It's a fascinating fight I think anyway. Probably not as exciting as Fury-Joshua but definitely more intriguing to me anyway.

I can’t see why AJ would approach the Usyk fight the same way he did Ruiz II

Ruiz broke/crushed AJ 6 months previously. Ruiz presents punching danger. AJ already felt that. There was the natural fear factor there for fight 2. Hence AJ adjusted and chose the safety/distance/boxing/defense strategy, and it resulted in a clear win.

Usyk is not the same threat here that Ruiz was

Usyk is all about movement, volume, angles.

AJ should not be fearing to get rightly stuck in here to get Usyk and hurt him and bully him..

I can’t see why AJ would approach the Usyk fight the same way he did Ruiz II

Ruiz broke/crushed AJ 6 months previously. Ruiz presents punching danger. AJ already felt that. There was the natural fear factor there for fight 2. Hence AJ adjusted and chose the safety/distance/boxing/defense strategy, and it resulted in a clear win.

Usyk is not the same threat here that Ruiz was

Usyk is all about movement, volume, angles.

AJ should not be fearing to get rightly stuck in here to get Usyk and hurt him and bully him..
    Try tell Tony Bellew that Usyk can't punch..

I think if anything Andy Ruiz proved you don't have to be a puncher to hurt Joshua anyway. Ruiz is by no means a big punching heavyweight. Decent sharp puncher with fast hands but very average power wise.

I think the days of Joshua being this sort of seek and destroy killer are long gone anyway tbh. He'll never be that fighter again. Played with fire and was visibly wobbled/hurt against Whyte, Klitschko and Povetkin but finally paid for it against Ruiz. Brought in Angel Fernandez for the Ruiz rematch who helped change his style and he's still training with him today. Much more of a patient back foot fighter now.

I think Joshua v Usyk will be very cagey with Joshua very worried about making a mistake. Fight will get interesting in the second half of the fight as Usyk does up the gears and we get to see if Joshua can stay with him.

• Advertisement

Hats will be off to you, Morrison if you call this right...

I just have a feeling that Usyk will be the one stinking the joint out trying to peck and poke his way to a points win..

AJ should get in some heavy shots to end it

35 lbs heavier and naturally more like 50 lbs heavier. This is telling in my view.

And if it is a pure points boxing match, I expect AJ to win as well. Usyk more boxing to survive!

Advertisement