Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I reckon Wilder is taking comfort in the fact that he was still standing in rd 7/8 vs. Fury, and that he was able to take what Fury had.

Remember, Wilder was still lucid and with it near the end, albeit not putting up a proper defence....

I hope fight 3 sees Fury KO him proper, as in drop him heavy....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I think Wilder beats Fury
    Iv no idea how & I know it doesn't make sense but there just no way Fury v AJ happens now for undisputed ,
    The boxing gods just won't allow it ,

So it means Fury will lose its his turn ,

The way the boxing game is run these days, that might make the setting up of the Fury vs Joshua fight easier :)

I think Joshua and Fury don't mind waiting a bit longer because post Covid they can fight at a packed Wembley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

walshb wrote: »
    I reckon Wilder is taking comfort in the fact that he was still standing in rd 7/8 vs. Fury, and that he was able to take what Fury had.

Remember, Wilder was still lucid and with it near the end, albeit not putting up a proper defence....

I hope fight 3 sees Fury KO him proper, as in drop him heavy....

it will be interesting for sure, id favour fury but you still have to give wilder a massive chance.

Morrison J wrote: »

the fight literally no one wants apart from whyte and maybe joshua (because its an easy night for him)

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    the fight literally no one wants apart from whyte and maybe joshua (because its an easy night for him)

Eazy night providing he doesn’t get knocked out

Eazy night providing he doesn’t get knocked out

i think whyte is a good level down from fury and joshua, both of them, if one their game should be able to contain him easily enough.

i think whyte is a good level down from fury and joshua, both of them, if one their game should be able to contain him easily enough.

He’s muck in my view..

But a lump who can throw a punch. And it carries weight..

AJ has not got that good a chin..

Barring a KO by Whyte (chance) I see AJ pulverising him..

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Nobody wants to see that fight.

Butson wrote: »
    Nobody wants to see that fight.

The very thought of Whyte being seen as a multiple belt HW champion is nauseating!

Worse even than Leicester being PL champions a few years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Where's big baby miller these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Panthro wrote: »
    Where's big baby miller these days?

juicing got him a 2 year ban

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

The very thought of Whyte being seen as a multiple belt HW champion is nauseating!

Worse even than Leicester being PL champions a few years ago!

I don’t really have any issue with Whyte getting a shot at the straps he’s in or around the standard. He brings plenty of atmosphere and he’s game as they come

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I don’t really have any issue with Whyte getting a shot at the straps he’s in or around the standard. He brings plenty of atmosphere and he’s game as they come

I have no real issue with him getting a shot at the titles either..

I have no real issue with him getting a shot at the titles either..

Fair enough. I don’t like him personally but I think he’s done enough and as a boxer he compares very favourably to some of the turkeys the so called big 3 have fought in the last 5 years so if he wins a belt or even all the belts then fair play to him

Don't like what was coming out of Eddie's mouth on IFL today. Saying "if it makes financial sense" they'll make the Usyk fight.

Matter of time till we hear "he doesn't speak English", "he doesn't sell", "he's unknown to UK fans" I reckon.

If he blows away Usyk as easy as most say he will there's zero reason they can't make the fight with ease, pandemic or no pandemic.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Cody_SP/status/1396883276292317186?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Don't like what was coming out of Eddie's mouth on IFL today. Saying "if it makes financial sense" they'll make the Usyk fight.

Matter of time till we hear "he doesn't speak English", "he doesn't sell", "he's unknown to UK fans" I reckon.

If he blows away Usyk as easy as most say he will there's zero reason they can't make the fight with ease, pandemic or no pandemic.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Cody_SP/status/1396883276292317186?s=19

They basically want a gimme fight before he fights Tyson twice because they know a loss really hurts how big those fights could be.

Joshua v Ortiz, Ruiz and Whyte don't interest me at all, but much less risk involved sadly.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    They basically want a gimme fight before he fights Tyson twice because they know a loss really hurts how big those fights could be.

Joshua v Ortiz, Ruiz and Whyte don't interest me at all, but much less risk involved sadly.

Yep. I'll be very surprised if they risk a fight with Usyk. Credit where it's due if they do but I can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If Ortiz was 10yrs younger I'd like to see him against AJ.

Panthro wrote: »
    If Ortiz was 10yrs younger I'd like to see him against AJ.

Even 5. He’d have given him his fill of it. Same with povetkin

• Advertisement

From a HW perspective, surely an Ortiz/Whyte fight is more a risk to AJ here than a 215 lbs Usyk?

Ortiz and Whyte are both proper HWs with decent to good power. Certainly enough to really hurt AJ if they connect

Yes, I expect him to beat both, but is Usyk a bigger risk here as regards a loss?

I would find it ridiculous if Eddie and AJ are having doubts and fear about AJ beating Usyk if I am honest....

I mean, AJ got back in the ring with Ruiz within months after Ruiz did a number on him...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

From a HW perspective, surely an Ortiz/Whyte fight is more a risk to AJ here than a 210 lbs Usyk?

Ortiz and Whyte are both proper HWs with decent to good power. Certainly enough to really hurt AJ if they connect

Yes, I expect him to beat both, but is Usyk a bigger risk here as regards a loss?

I would find it ridiculous if Eddie and AJ are having doubts and fear about AJ beating Usyk if I am honest....

I mean, AJ got back in the ring with Ruiz within months after Ruiz did a number on him...

To be fair he had no choice but to rematch Ruiz,

If he had off walked away from the second fight he would have been done for the general public ,

Ruiz was seen as a walk over & looked in worse shape than your average punter, If he ran from that he'd be done ,

From a HW perspective, surely an Ortiz/Whyte fight is more a risk to AJ here than a 210 lbs Usyk?

ortiz is surely over the hill at this stage?

ortiz is surely over the hill at this stage?

Yes. He is...

But I think he can still bang a bit. That was my point

And AJ is not that difficult to tag......

I think Whyte and Ortiz both lose vs. AJ

But if I was betting, I'd say both these have a better chance for the upset than Usyk.

Paddy Power has AJ 3-1 on v Usyk

Usyk is 2-1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Yes. He is...

But I think he can still bang a bit. That was my point

And AJ is not that difficult to tag......

I think Whyte and Ortiz both lose vs. AJ

But if I was betting, I'd say both these have a better chance for the upset than Usyk.

Always thought AJ & Hearn wanted to steer clear of Ortiz earlier in AJ career I reckon Ortiz is completely done now .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Paddy Power has AJ 3-1 on v Usyk

Usyk is 2-1

usyk was 4s the other day

The internet isn’t for everyone

Would you really pick Ortiz to beat Usyk?

Ortiz and Whyte are far more stationary targets and Joshua will be able to hit and hurt them with much more ease. Usyk has far more strings to his bow and is stylistically much more difficult for Joshua.

Would you really pick Ortiz to beat Usyk?

Ortiz and Whyte are far more stationary targets and Joshua will be able to hit and hurt them with much more ease. Usyk has far more strings to his bow and is stylistically much more difficult for Joshua.

No

I'd pick Usyk to beat Ortiz....

Ortiz past his best, and Usyk brings too much movement.....

My point was that Whyte and Ortiz are heavier-handed than Usyk, and IMO pose a KO danger to AJ

I don't see that danger with Usyk-AJ

AJ beats all three for me, but I think Whyte and Ortiz are riskier fights for AJ.

All to do with styles and power threat...

• Advertisement

No

I'd pick Usyk to beat Ortiz....

Ortiz past his best, and Usyk brings too much movement.....

My point was that Whyte and Ortiz are heavier-handed than Usyk, and IMO pose a KO danger to AJ

I don't see that danger with Usyk-AJ

AJ beats all three for me, but I think Whyte and Ortiz are riskier fights for AJ.

All to do with styles and power threat...

I don't think the current version of Ortiz poses much threat tbh. Has a 6 round gas tank. Whyte can be competitive with Joshua in spots but ultimately he's too hittable and after so many wars his punch resistance might be on the slide.

Usyk has enough power to hurt Joshua. I think you're massively underestimating him if you think he doesn't. He's also got the ability to make Joshua work, tire him out and take him out late. Got gears that Whyte/Ortiz definitely don't.

It's standard risk v reward anyway. Whyte fight in the UK generates more money and is definitely no more difficult than a Usyk one imo. Joshua has one fight left on his deal with Sky so I'm sure they want the fight that generates the most money. Been building Whyte up for years towards this fight.

A Joshua v Ortiz fight in the US is very little risk imo and helps build Joshua's profile in the States where he's virtually unknown. Would definitely boost the size of Fury v Joshua globally down the line.

Usyk is a horrendous style match up against an elite boxer and doesnt do the same numbers as Joshua v Whyte. I think they'll drop the belt and avoid him like the plague.

Advertisement