Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Even if Fury could just hand the belt back and skip the fight, surely that would impact the Joshua fight.
    A 3 belt champ (or 2 if he had to give one up also) v a no belt past champ with everything on the line would mean some renegotiation at the least.

Anyway total mess and only winner seems to be that dinosaur Frank Warren.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ah Fair enough. I thought he could avoid it by either giving up the belt or by paying step aside money.

Far as I know it could have been avoided by paying the step aside money, not sure why dropping the belt wouldn't have been an option either but I don't blame him for not dropping the belt.

As for money etc meaning nothing to Fury, more fool anyone who actually believes the ****e that man spouts.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

As for money etc meaning nothing to Fury, more fool anyone who actually believes the ****e that man spouts.

Couldn't agree more...

An absolute waffler

Anyone ever find out what happened to that claim that he would donate all his purse money from Wilder 1 money to charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

walshb wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more...

An absolute waffler

Anyone ever find out what happened to that claim that he would donate all his purse money from Wilder 1 money to charity?

he has said a few times he followed through on it,

you dont believe him?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Wilder saying today he wants Joshua after he beats Fury.

If Usyk v Joshua is going to happen, we should get an announcement this weekend? I think they had 10 days to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Butson wrote: »
    Wilder saying today he wants Joshua after he beats Fury.

If Usyk v Joshua is going to happen, we should get an announcement this weekend? I think they had 10 days to sort it out.

The 10 days was up on Tuesday I think so they've either got an agreement in place and are ready to announce or it's going to purse bids/not happening.

Cyrus wrote: »
    he has said a few times he followed through on it,

you dont believe him?

No. Don’t believe him

Hearn called bull as well.

I haven’t heard any charity/group verify or mention receiving the money..

Until I do hear some actual verification, I’ll see it as bull..

I kind of knew it was bull when I first heard it..

8 million a lot a lot of cash. Pounds as well I think..

Btw, I wouldn’t have given it to charity either with all the scandals and skullduggery going around..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

No. Don’t believe him

Hearn called bull as well.

I haven’t heard any charity/group verify or mention receiving the money..

Until I do hear some actual verification, I’ll see it as bull..

I kind of knew it was bull when I first heard it..

8 million a lot a lot of cash. Pounds as well I think..

Btw, I wouldn’t have given it to charity either with all the scandals and skullduggery going around..

Unless he swore them to secrecy, but i doubt it. Some rich people do it on the one condition that they will remain anonymous

I don't begrudge him earning as much as he can and enjoying it, but spouting that money means nothing to him in interviews is just pure waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

The notion that any of these guys don’t have at least one eye on the money is moronically absurd!! Of course he cares about it.
    I see fury has launched some meal
    Plan thing blowing about losing 30 lbs in a month. I suppose he wants to do that out of the good of his heart? That’s without even getting into how reckless and irresponsible it is to encourage drastic weight loss like that

Unless he swore them to secrecy, but i doubt it. Some rich people do it on the one condition that they will remain anonymous

I don't begrudge him earning as much as he can and enjoying it, but spouting that money means nothing to him in interviews is just pure waffle.

Well, he made it very public, so unless I see something public to verify it, to me it's bull

Anyway, I have no idea why they cannot just say that the money means a lot. Be proud to say it. They are risking their lives every time they step inside that ring

BJS another one and his money means nothing to me....of course it does, and did....maybe fighters think that we will not respect them for saying it...?

Anyway, saying it's important is fine, the vulagarness' of people and money is where I see an issue.....the in your face gloating and boasting and not having any concept of value irks me. Mayweather is very annoying, and odd with his in your face money boasts.....weird.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    The 10 days was up on Tuesday I think so they've either got an agreement in place and are ready to announce or it's going to purse bids/not happening.

I think an extension has been granted..

Hearn saying a good offer was made to Usyk..

If true, let’s see them fight. AJ is 100 percent the A side...

Usyk should get on and fight for the belt..AJ s the champ. Go earn the belt, Usyk..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I seen Wilders latest interview & its convinced me he has no chance,
    He is still lying to himself about the last fight talking about cheating, juju on him & all sorts ,
    If he doesn't ko Fury in 2 rounds that's it , he will realise oh no he just beat me up for real last time ,

I seen Wilders latest interview & its convinced me he has no chance,
    He is still lying to himself about the last fight talking about cheating, juju on him & all sorts ,
    If he doesn't ko Fury in 2 rounds that's it , he will realise oh no he just beat me up for real last time ,

He always has a chance.....

But, seems that chance is just the KO shot....

So, no amount talk/interviews should change that...

He always has a chance.....

But, seems that chance is just the KO shot....

So, no amount talk/interviews should change that...

I agree but if Wilder spoke like he actually understands that himself you'd believe he could pull it off,

From your first amateur bout to the pro's one of the most import things in boxing is to understand your weaknesses & learn form where you went wrong ,To take a beating like he did & think its because of cheating or some kind of juju is not going to help you at all in a rematch ,

I wonder does his team agree with this nonsense or behind his back do they realise all he holes & try to fix them ,

I agree but if Wilder spoke like he actually understands that himself you'd believe he could pull it off,

From your first amateur bout to the pro's one of the most import things in boxing is to understand your weaknesses & learn form where you went wrong ,To take a beating like he did & think its because of cheating or some kind of juju is not going to help you at all in a rematch ,

I wonder does his team agree with this nonsense or behind his back do they realise all he holes & try to fix them ,

I suspect he is deluded but it could be a good way to throw Fury off the scent. If Fury believes he’s easy picking then that huge ko shot becomes more probable

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I suspect he is deluded but it could be a good way to throw Fury off the scent. If Fury believes he’s easy picking then that huge ko shot becomes more probable

Funny, I was thinking similar today

If I was his trainer, I'd be wanting Wilder to play uninterested, awkward, spoiling and disjointed; and every so often try for the big shot, but mix it up.....

Spook Fury, almost.....

Go in and be uninterested and negative, and out of the blue, try fpr the big shot....you miss it, reset and start again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If I was his trainer, I'd be wanting Wilder to play uninterested, awkward, spoiling and disjointed; and every so often try for the big shot, but mix it up.....

is that not his normal game plan :pac:

Cyrus wrote: »
    is that not his normal game plan :pac:

You know, you could be right

I was thinking the same......

Maybe try it more.....a bit more Oliver McCall fight 2 v Lewis!!!!!!!!!

Spook Fury, almost.....

Go in and be uninterested and negative, and out of the blue, try fpr the big shot....you miss it, reset and start again

For a game plan in the ring ye sure but just the way he is outside the ring he is completely deluded ,Its not an act either its him he truly believes he got cheated

Wait and see when we get to press conference and interview stage,
    He is an absolute corn ball its like American fighters are stuck in the 80's with the stuff they come out with,
    Wilder will whisper stuff for effect & talks like he is a scary bad guy in a movie, Fury will just laugh at him and lay down the facts ,

Its the reason why guys like McGregor & Fury have become so popular in the States they can actually be witty and talk crap without sounding cheesy,
    Even the Diaz brothers are seen as entertainment because they don't go own the corny road ,

For a game plan in the ring ye sure but just the way he is outside the ring he is completely deluded ,Its not an act either its him he truly believes he got cheated

Wait and see when we get to press conference and interview stage,
    He is an absolute corn ball its like American fighters are stuck in the 80's with the stuff they come out with,
    Wilder will whisper stuff for effect & talks like he is a scary bad guy in a movie, Fury will just laugh at him and lay down the facts ,

Its the reason why guys like McGregor & Fury have become so popular in the States they can actually be witty and talk crap without sounding cheesy,
    Even the Diaz brothers are seen as entertainment because they don't go own the corny road ,

He is deluded alright

As for McGregor.....never got this charm/wittiness with him....

Far too contrived and forced...

• Advertisement

He is deluded alright

As for McGregor.....never got this charm/wittiness with him....

Far too contrived and forced...

I don't like the man but in his early days he had very well thought out clever one liners ,

Some of them are used out side of MMA now like "who the fook is that guy " & " red pantie night "

Spook Fury, almost.....

I meant more during the buildup to try to make fury more complacent. I think if those were his tactics in the fight he’d get eaten alive. I think he needs to do more than just hope for a Hail Mary. I always thought he had a fair jab when he used it. I think he needs to hurt Fury and set something up.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I meant more during the buildup to try to make fury more complacent. I think if those were his tactics in the fight he’d get eaten alive. I think he needs to do more than just hope for a Hail Mary. I always thought he had a fair jab when he used it. I think he needs to hurt Fury and set something up.

But I think most people believe a KO shot, Hail Mary shot is his best, if not only chance to win..

It’s about how he can get it...

I am tinking he plays possum, uninterested and nonchalant. Lulling Fury into a comfortable and complacent zone, and then gets in the shot on a “sleeping” Fury..

Usyk/AJ September at Spurs stadium..

Looking like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Usyk/AJ September at Spurs stadium..

Looking like it.

Wouldnt mind going to that except had planned to see gridiron in same venue in October!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

That would be a good fight to attend alright.

Spurs ground is pretty compact so I'd imagine you would have a pretty good view from most seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Uysk beats AJ to spoil the party imo, people seem to be hanging on some mythical skill set AJ possesses against a better boxer and fellow olympic golf medalist.

Uysk beats AJ to spoil the party imo, people seem to be hanging on some mythical skill set AJ possesses against a better boxer and fellow olympic golf medalist.

What's this skillset talk?

Can you define it, or what AJ is missing etc....

Juts throwing out the word skillset here is a little vague, to be honest.

Usyk has skills and talent and ability......

His skills/traits for me are good feet, balance, movement, volume, fitness, variation and ability to adjust

Does AJ have skills/traits and talent and ability?

AJ, for me: Power off both wings, punch variation, solid feet and punch mechanics, jab, size, height, reach...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

What's this skillset talk?

Can you define it, or what AJ is missing etc....

Juts throwing out the word skillset here is a little vague, to be honest.

Usyk has skills and talent and ability......

His skills/traits for me are good feet, balance, movement, volume, fitness, variation and ability to adjust

Does AJ have skills/traits and talent and ability?

AJ, for me: Power off both wings, punch variation, solid feet and punch mechanics, jab, size, height, reach...

Personally i feel that some of the traits you have detailed are a little overrated when it comes to AJ. Uysk's better movement skills and stamina and will wear down AJ and possible stop him around 8-10.

I dont buy into AJ being anything other than an above average heavyweight lucky enough to be in a shallow pool of talent. Lets look back at his last 7 fights.

Pulev - A Euro level plodder hand made for AJ
    Ruiz II - Ruiz had been on a bender for months and came in 16lbs over his already inflated weight.
    Ruiz I - Ruiz didnt exactly fight like Ali and beat the **** out of AJ
    Povetkin - Hard to argue that he was not at least 5 years past his best and was doing the Euro cash in roadshow already.
    Parker - Jabbed his head off all night, but since parker has barely scraped past chisora the form does not exactly stack up.
    Takam - I have better head movement
    Klitschko - Had AJ in all sorts of trouble before getting stopped late on - Not remotely close to a prime version of himself.

Dont get me wrong i like watching AJ fight as he exciting and has huge power but his skills and record are vastly overrated in real terms.

Why has he not fought fury or wilder in this period?

• Advertisement

Personally i feel that some of the traits you have detailed are a little overrated when it comes to AJ. Uysk's better movement skills and stamina and will wear down AJ and possible stop him around 8-10.

I dont buy into AJ being anything other than an above average heavyweight lucky enough to be in a shallow pool of talent. Lets look back at his last 7 fights.

Pulev - A Euro level plodder hand made for AJ
    Ruiz II - Ruiz had been on a bender for months and came in 16lbs over his already inflated weight.
    Ruiz I - Ruiz didnt exactly fight like Ali and beat the **** out of AJ
    Povetkin - Hard to argue that he was not at least 5 years past his best and was doing the Euro cash in roadshow already.
    Parker - Jabbed his head off all night, but since parker has barely scraped past chisora the form does not exactly stack up.
    Takam - I have better head movement
    Klitschko - Had AJ in all sorts of trouble before getting stopped late on - Not remotely close to a prime version of himself.

Dont get me wrong i like watching AJ fight as he exciting and has huge power but his skills and record are vastly overrated in real terms.

Why has he not fought fury or wilder in this period?

But you have gone off the page now and started ripping his level of opposition

Usyk has fought Whiterspoon and Chrisora...

So, we can leave the opposition levels alone....

Why has he not fought Fury? Well, we know why....it was set to go ahead.....

Why has Fury not fought AJ? Again, we know why.....I don't see any reason to slate AJ for this...

Advertisement