Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I can see both AJ and Wilder milk away at this fight for a long time yet. I'd be surprised if it's this year. To be fair AJ fought a belt holder last fight in what turned out to be a tough enough contest. Going into D fight as you put it would be a tough one to follow up on. I would like to see him try to handle Pov in a boxing match as opposed to a shoot out but that has to happen very soon given the age issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

I really don't rate Povetkin since he looks to be clearly off the sauce. He looks to have lost that brutal intensity, stamina and strength he had when he was highlight reel KOing guys like Perez and Takam. He looks sluggish now, a lot less meatier and finding the pace tougher. He basically looks like the guy who fought Wlad and was out of his depth. He's 38 now too which isn't ancient considering he's a HW but he's definitely past his prime and will only degrade more. He will always struggle against big guys and if someone as useless as David Price can land clean on him someone like Joshua will make light work of him. He's a good boxer and has puts his punches together well but he always jumps in to land his big shots and that's exactly what Joshua will want to pick him apart.

I'd rather a Parker instant rematch or dare I say it give Pulev a shot rather than see him fight Povetkin. Joshua probably has dodgy whiskers to an extent but Povetkin isn't the guy to test that. Then again Pulev isn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Joshua probably has dodgy whiskers to an extent but Povetkin isn't the guy to test that. Then again Pulev isn't either.

Do you mean that AP has not got the power or has not got the capability to land a good hard punch?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    Joshua probably has dodgy whiskers to an extent but Povetkin isn't the guy to test that. Then again Pulev isn't either.

Do you mean that AP has not got the power or has not got the capability to land a good hard punch?
    AP off the juice just look like a shell of himself, he wont get close to AJ to land anything, he will be Ko'd quick , As Whyte said recently anyone with a half decent jab beats AP  ,
    He's a dirty hooker (not like that :) ) which is all well and good until you opponent is tall, longer range and hits you like a truck before you get in there ,

AP off the juice just look like a shell of himself, he wont get close to AJ to land anything, he will be Ko'd quick , As Whyte said recently anyone with a half decent jab beats AP  ,
    He's a dirty hooker (not like that :) ) which is all well and good until you opponent is tall, longer range and hits you like a truck before you get in there ,

Well, all it takes is one good clean shot that takes less than one second of action.

I think it would be unwise to think that AP, a crafty ring veteran with experience and desire, and who can still let the hands go, would not be a valid KO threat....

I'd absolutely make AJ a favorite, but an AP KO win would be no surprise for me.

I will go with AJ via KO within 4 rds or so. He's clearly a more likely man to get the win and KO.

Yes, I am fence-sitting, but more in disagreement at how certain an AJ win is being given here.

• Advertisement

Well, all it takes is one good clean shot that takes less than one second of action.

I think it would be unwise to think that AP, a crafty ring veteran with experience and desire, and who can still let the hands go, would not be a valid KO threat....

I'd absolutely make AJ a favorite, but an AP KO win would be no surprise for me.

I will go with AJ via KO within 4 rds or so. He's clearly a more likely man to get the win and KO.

Yes, I am fence-sitting, but more in disagreement at how certain an AJ win is being given here.
    I know and you can say the same about any heavy weight fight but I for one wouldn't pay for it,
    AP off the gear doesn't beat any top heavy weight ,he has no hope against Aj none ,may aswell say Price good knock Aj out and give him the fight,
    I honestly think its crazy ud prefer to see that than the Wilder fight ,

Povetkin has had some decent KOs but his power is extremely overrated imo. I would also doubt his ability to land flush on a big guy like Joshua. He looked a little lost of ideas at times against Price, I can't imagine how clueless he'd be against an actual competent big guy.

AP has been in with some good fighters and ko’ed them. On juice I know but still. He’s never need ko’ed and that includes the shrewdest of the shrewd prime Wlad. Has he ever been knocked down?
    It’s not that I’d rather that over the wilder fight but I just feel that panto will run on another bit

squinn2912 wrote: »
    AP has been in with some good fighters and ko’ed them. On juice I know but still. He’s never need ko’ed and that includes the shrewdest of the shrewd prime Wlad. Has he ever been knocked down?
    It’s not that I’d rather that over the wilder fight but I just feel that panto will run on another bit

Not making a dent on the likes of Hammer and Rudenko recently is telling. Throw in guys like Huck and Firtha too from back in the day. Look he's certainly not feather fisted, he's got good power for the division and his boxing skills are better than most but there's nothing out there showing me this Povetkin could flatten Joshua. He was down a few times against Wlad but that was the peak of the "Grabamir Clinchko" days and there was definitely at least one of those that was just a throw to the ground after punching. My memory of the fight is a little fuzzy although I can safely say it's one of the worst fights I've ever had to endure. He got a standing count against Price too which technically doesn't count but he looked like he was f*cked.

I also doubted before the year started that we'd get Joshua/Wilder in 2018 and although I am a little more optimistic I still figure Eddie Hearn tries to drag it out. Joshua-Povetkin and Wilder-Whyte are two pretty routine defences in my eye and look likely and the rest of the year will be more back and forth amateur hour trash talk if I was to guess.

If Haye miraculously looks decent against Bellew then maybe Joshua can retire him at the end of the year and Wilder fights someone like Breazeale to match the pace of three fights in the year? However I'd imagine they'll both fight only once more this year.

Povetkin has had some decent KOs but his power is extremely overrated imo. I would also doubt his ability to land flush on a big guy like Joshua. He looked a little lost of ideas at times against Price, I can't imagine how clueless he'd be against an actual competent big guy.

I don't think AP is a dynamite hitter, but circumstance and the right shot at the right time?

As regards actually landing it.....

AJ is what, 3 inches taller? But I still think someone with APs experience and ring IQ could devise a manoeuvre/plan to enable a hard clean head connection.

Sounds like I am trying to give this match some credence.....I know. But, maybe it does have actual merit and competitiveness for however long it lasts?

At least I think AP will go in to win and go in and try hard to win. Not like the scared and cautious Parker approach.

• Advertisement

I don't think AP is a dynamite hitter, but circumstance and the right shot at the right time?

As regards actually landing it.....

AJ is what, 3 inches taller? But I still think someone with APs experience and ring IQ could devise a manoeuvre/plan to enable a hard clean head connection.

Sounds like I am trying to give this match some credence.....I know. But, maybe it does have actual merit and competitiveness for however long it lasts?

At least I think AP will go in to win and go in and try hard to win. Not like the scared and cautious Parker approach.
    I'd prefer to see AJ fight any of the below  over Aj v AP
    Wilder, Fury, Whyte ( he's easy beat AP ) Ortiz ( think he cause's any heavy weight problems for at least a few rounds )

Whyte? What has he really done since the AJ fight? He’s looked terrible. Beat Derek by the skin of his teeth and ko’ed an overweight punchbag

Wilder, Fury, Whyte ( he's easy beat AP ) Ortiz ( think he cause's any heavy weight problems for at least a few rounds )

Whyte had his shot and got KTFO. He has been dining out off this since. Had a razor close win over a very poor Chisora. Chisora is actuaslly his best opponent. That is pretty basic.

Are you saying Whyte beats AP, easily? I'd favor AP 9/10 times. Whyte is not all that good. He's bang average IMO.

Regarding Fury....Yes, I'd like to see that, but let's be real......Fury is pretty much retired until he actually steps up and starts fighting again.

Fighting talk and sh1t talk on twitter doesn't count.

Whyte had his shot and got KTFO. He has been dining out off this since. Had a razor close win over a very poor Chisora. Chisora is actuaslly his best opponent. That is pretty basic.

Are you saying Whyte beats AP, easily? I'd favor AP 9/10 times. Whyte is not all that good. He's bang average IMO.

Regarding Fury....Yes, I'd like to see that, but let's be real......Fury is pretty much retired until he actually steps up and starts fighting again.

Fighting talk and sh1t talk on twitter doesn't count.
    Yep I'm saying Whyte beats AP , I think he beats him easy and I also believe Whyte is bang average,
    Anyone with a jab beat's AP , off the juice he looks terrible,

Does Chisora beat AP? I think that's nonsense. Whyte has done nothing to suggest he deserves to be in a conversation like this. AP's KO of Price is more impressive than Whyte over Browne.

Does Chisora beat AP? I think that's nonsense. Whyte has done nothing to suggest he deserves to be in a conversation like this. AP's KO of Price is more impressive than Whyte over Browne.
    We shall see , I think its a fight that Whyte wants so lets see if they meet ,
    I think people are thinking of AP on the juice he aint the same since ,
    I stand by Whyte beating him and in convincing fashion

Anyone koing Price is not impressive its expected at this point,
    Come on guys Price's chin is the worst in the division and I like the guy ,

There is a case for Whyte but I don't see why people are suddenly rating him highly. I did like him but the last 4 fights after AJ have been very poor against very poor opposition. He looked good against Browne and that's it. If Whyte throws those big shots and leaves himself open then AP will demolish him. I think AP wins that fight in 4-5 rounds but if Whyte could last that long then he could get him on the stretch.

There is a case for Whyte but I don't see why people are suddenly rating him highly. I did like him but the last 4 fights after AJ have been very poor against very poor opposition. He looked good against Browne and that's it. If Whyte throws those big shots and leaves himself open then AP will demolish him. I think AP wins that fight in 4-5 rounds but if Whyte could last that long then he could get him on the stretch.
    Again id back juiced up AP but he is gone, I personally don't think Whyte is great either but I think he beats AP now, 
    I'm just making the point to see AP fight AJ at this stage would be a awful ,its a gimme fight (as much as any fight is a gimme,)

Again id back juiced up AP but he is gone, I personally don't think Whyte is great either but I think he beats AP now, 
    I'm just making the point to see AP fight AJ at this stage would be a awful ,its a gimme fight (as much as any fight is a gimme,)
    Ok well I do take your point there. Assume for a moment that the Wilder fight doesn't happen this year (I really can't see it - they've both had hard challenges and could want to take on someone lesser as has happened with both after the hard fights). Who is really out there who is more credible.
    Fury - no chance, Ortiz - just been KO'ed I can see him take some time, AP - ok, Whyte - ok (but fought AJ before so can't see it)… Not many more left.

• Advertisement

Ok well I do take your point there. Assume for a moment that the Wilder fight doesn't happen this year (I really can't see it - they've both had hard challenges and could want to take on someone lesser as has happened with both after the hard fights). Who is really out there who is more credible.
    Fury - no chance, Ortiz - just been KO'ed I can see him take some time, AP - ok, Whyte - ok (but fought AJ before so can't see it)… Not many more left.
    I agree there isn't much option at the minute which is a shame,
    For all we know some of Aj's best fights may be against someone we have yet to figure into the picture,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Warren announcing the signing of Fury tomorrow. Hopefully with a fight date included.

Another Fury announcing an announcement...

I think we’ll be looking at a fight around Halloween. He might wait to announce it around Hughie’s fight. Irrelevant until he gets in the ring with someone and does it rather than the silly talk.
    I want him to back it up. Anyone who can come back from a dark place has my respect

I think we’ll be looking at a fight around Halloween. He might wait to announce it around Hughie’s fight. Irrelevant until he gets in the ring with someone and does it rather than the silly talk.
    I want him to back it up. Anyone who can come back from a dark place has my respect
    Iv no doubt he will come back but my worry with Fury is he could pack it in again at any giving moment,
    For the sake of the man himself I hope he just does what ever keeps him happy fighting or not, depression is no joke ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,787 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fury June 9th in Manchester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Great to see Fury back. His charisma and personality is badly missed compared to some of the other boring heavyweights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

ricero wrote: »
    Great to see Fury back. His charisma and personality is badly missed compared to some of the other boring heavyweights

I dunno about you but I rather boxers who show charisma and personality in the ring as opposed to outside it :P

I dunno about you but I rather boxers who show charisma and personality in the ring as opposed to outside it :P

I don't see it anywhere with Fury. Bit too odd/weird for my liking...

• Advertisement

Great to have him back
    He's fantastic at the sport hit your opponent more than he hits you , all the ko's and hype stuff is just for excitement like any sport you win by anyway the rule set allows and Fury is good at it,
    I like him as he says what he wants, You get sick of everyone being completely pc ,
    The world is full of characters good to see one back in boxing,
    He doesn't really fit any sterotype . Hes not humble, arrogant, a hard man , he just says what he's feeling and doesn't change for the tv camra's, I don't agree with every thing he says either  ,

Advertisement