Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yea I meant the latter of course. Only way I can see it going to a points win for wilder.

I think Fury has his number provided he turns up with similar intent. Even w poor Fury would win on points for me but more likely then wilder gets a home run

the time is a pain. At £25 I think I’d wanna see more than one fight so that likely means get up at 2 and back to bed round 6. Shudder at the thought of that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ya, so from Ireland without a sky sub you’re shut out of luck to do it legally

ah well I tried giving them money

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I hope Fury wins and think he won both fights so far only worry is if u keep fighting Wilder he will eventually land in a fight and KO you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭reclose

It doesn’t let you pick the online option from Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That happened me when trying to book last BT PPV. I have booked BT PPV several times before.

An interesting theory here https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/video-ajs-corner-waving-towel-at-the-end-of-the-12th.674544/

some very good camera work of the fight by matchroom also

God you’re right. Usyk gave him 3-4 seconds of nothing at the end too when he could’ve jumped on him

Aj fan boys are saying it was a celebration but you don’t celebrate with a white towel in boxing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Wilder has a chance to win on points and its not inconceivable. Thats not Walshb trying to go against the grain again is it?

Surely not!! :D

Not at all..

I am trying to cover all areas of how the fight could play out. Illiciting debate.Yes, I’d favor Fury on points. But what if we get a stinker, a messy and awkward clash where it is quite difficult to score rounds. That is not inconceivable.

I have already stated that I believe we see a stoppage. Favoring Fury to get it

do folks think Fury may be less the fighter he was for this fight? And maybe Wilder being that bit more up for it, and better? Leading to any type result.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I jest Walshb.

Only way this ends up a points win is if Wilder scores multiple knock downs throughout the fight with KO'ing Fury.

He won't be outboxing Fury, and I know you judge Fury to be capable of being in sloppy rounds where little lands, rounds are close to call etc..

Wilder is a one trick pony, I don't think Fury will have much difficulty finding Wilder, his punch mechanics are not hectic, but he will win most rounds that he stays on his feet. Can definitely see an argument for Wilder by KO, but on points? 0.0000000001% chance. He doesn't outbox anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think a lot of people are forgetting the first fight, and how close it was. The standout moment is Fury’s recovery in the 12th, but Wilder had also dropped him in the 9th, and was competitive throughout. If he can bring that form again, he can certainly win by KO or on the cards.

In the first fight wilder was completely bamboozled and even with the two knockdowns robbed a draw. I don’t think it was close at all from a scoring point of view.

I’ll watch fight 1 again, but I thought there were a few rounds that were very difficult to score.

Fury didn’t dominate at all. A lot a lot of missed punches and blocking from both men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Fight 1 fury was not near prime fighting shape,he was still on his comeback, fight 2 is the only fight fury can be fairly judged on. Getting anxious for fury, i do think wilder is going to be alot more focused but just hope fury kos him .

Yes, but fight 2 never went the distance. We were discussing the points fight from fight 1. I thought Fury won more rds, but some were quite close and difficult to score.

No issue with it being claimed that Wilder unlikely to win on points, or be competitive on points. I’m just not as sure as others that he cannot make it close.

I'm nervous for Fury simply because of that one punch power & the more time he fights Wilder the more likely he is to be caught,

but Wilder done another interview last night & again was asked what his new trainer has thought him & he said nothing just brought out things he already knows, He really does seem to have an EGO problem, He also still adamant Fury cheated ,

I reckon he is going to go throw the kitchen sink in the first 4 rounds & if he doesn't catch Fury he will be absolutely exhausted and stopped by 8 or 9 ,

I really think all the negative energy & resentment he is holding will play a part in him gassing out,

It'll be interesting this week how he is ,

If he's wear the head phones all week i think he is done , i think he needs to deal with the situation & not hide before fight night , they will have to come off then & his head will be trying to deal with it as well as trying to fight,

I think Wilder has built this up to much & will fall apart mentally & physically if it goes past 4,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

which rounds were close? i dont recall any of them being that close and fury had 2 10-8 rounds 3 & 5,

looking at the official score cards, one Judge gave wilder one round, the second, and even that doesnt bear scrutiny imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I'm going to bookmark this, because if fight ever happened i'd be expecting you to blow the complete opposite direction if this is what everyone else is saying :P

Are we mixed up?

Are you speaking about fight 1 or 2?

I am speaking about fight 1..

We all know fight 2 was a landslide!

I see Usyk is 2-1 on for the rematch and AJ is 2-1

Good post. This is how I expect things to go as well. I do hope that Wilder plants and throws early. He might win the lottery in rounds 1-3. After that Fury will have timed him and he will dissect him. If Wilder tires then it will be even easier for Fury. I think in fight 2 Wilder realised that Fury couldn’t give a F about him and he went at it quite similar to the Ortiz 2 fight. He was way behind and then when Ortiz took his eye off the job he got a jab in and right at the end of the 5th I think that straight right hand took him out. I think he was expecting Fury to slow up in a similar way but he wasn’t at all prepared for him to be in his face so much.

I think the most likely outcome is that Fury makes a complete fool of him and gives him a beat down, stopping him late on. I don’t know if Fury will go straight at it in the same was as the second fight. I could see it being a more measured approach and it ending up like a mixture of fight 1 and 2.

If Fury does fight at range then wilder has more of a chance to get the bombs off. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in a shell again and not throw them.

This time round I’m not as bothered who wins. I’d like to see a good, competitive fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sorry we are, assumed you were referring to fight 2, my bad.

I agree if Wilder doesn't catch him in 4 he is goosed ,

Like you i think Fury will be measured to start but as each round goes by Fury will get closer and closer to Wilder & by 5 /6 he'll be on top of him roughing him up , People getting tripped up & everything ,just to make it as exhausting as possible for Wilder, Then fury stops him before the end of 9

or Wilder lands early & good night

Huge amount depends on the pace and intensity of the fight. If it is tame and causal from both men, then Wilder is dangerous all the time...

Wilder may choose to be very coy and causal to try maybe land a surprising KO type shot, or he could be gung ho and give it his all to land the KO shot

Then there's Fury. How will he play it? All action and smothering, or stand off boxing and being cute, or a mix

Many variables and permutations to consider. Big one is the cardio fitness of both men, because if Wilder is very fit, then he can get the job done anywhere between 1 and 12 rds, as can Fury

Yep. After that then I don’t see him throwing many bombs. It will be a matter of how long it takes him to tire. To give him his dues even without Fury being good last day out he was dreadful but he hung in there and I was impressed by how much he was willing to take. It might have been easier for him psychologically to take one big shot and be KO’d.

That’s a good point. There’s only one of them able to do the roughhousing and that’s Fury. Wilder has a terrible inside game and usually just allows himself to be hit until the ref breaks it.

In most of his fights wilder allows his opponent to get on top and then detonates. If Fury gets the chance to get on top I think he does too much damage. But a lacklustre Fury could get chinned.

• Advertisement

Yep not gonna argue with much of that. I think for wilder to win firstly it has to be a ko, Fury has to make a mistake or be very poor and slow or some sort of issue in training/injury we don’t know about.

If you’re Fury then how would you play it? For me I think very similar tactics as fight 2. Bring the heat. He needs to be prepared to push Wilder into an uncomfortable pace and force him to tire. This will take a lot out of Fury and I’ve alluded to it before that he was breathing very heavily from R3 on himself. If wilder can weather that storm better and mount something of a defence then as Fury tires it will be much more open. Fury’s fitness is massive here and only he and his team can quantify that. He has the option of pointing his way to a win which would take less out of him but then wilder would have room to launch a counter.

So yea, I think Fury should be all over him. I actually don’t think he will employ that tactic as much though.

Advertisement