Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,417 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fury can win more ways than Wilder, but some ways are more risky for him.

Fury can be slick and cute and win on points, or be aggressive and up close to earn the stoppage. I think the slick and boxing way is that bit more risky.....for one reason: It allows Wilder to survive and be there!!!!

If I were Fury's trainer I'd be saying one main thing: don't allow Wilder time and space.....simple as...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

One of Wilders weaknesses is he has absolutely no footwork and their is no way he has improved on this at almost 36 years of age and after one training camp.

Fury needs to keep backing him up like the first fight so he can't generate any power and it keeps him off balance.

Only thing is Fury needs to be fit to implement and not let Wilder time to settle or even breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fury’s fitness will be a big question mark for sure. He kept very busy since his comeback and that approach played into his favour. It doesn’t look like he’s gone off the rails since his last fight but he’ll need to be fighting fit to go the 12 rounds.

Ordered it there on Sky (BT Box Office). The Sky link on this thread (previous page) works. 30 effin’ euro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,718 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wilder & his camp need to be careful here,

We are hearing about new improved footwork, body shots & fighting going backwards all thing Wilder has never shown ,

If they think they can "reinvent Wilder" they only have to look at the fight the other day between Aj & Usyk ,

You might look great in camp but when your going out trying a new style against a world class opponent your in big trouble ,

If Wilder has to think more than he usual does he will not only make more mistakes but he will also tire more, remember he already has more pressure on him than ever before which will already drain him ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

You might look great in camp but when your going out trying a new style against a world class opponent your in big trouble

Isn't that what Fury did in the second fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

not really, fury has fought like that earlier in his career.

It was the best version of him to beat wilder who is bad on the back foot, but it wasnt the best version of him to beat Klitschko or probably joshua either if it ever happens.

Good question

Fury didn't implement anything new technically , he literally just became more aggressive than his previous fight but in the past he has fought this way so nothing new, Just different to his previous 2 fights ,

Also don't forget he fought Wallin & Schwarz inbetween the two Wilder fights

Everything he used against Wilder in the second fight he has used at time different times in his career ,

Most causal fans have only really seen Fury v Wlad & Wilder , so don't realise Fury has fought with severally styles during his career ,

He isn't just talking crap when he says he can do it all ,he literally can, he has the ability to change style mid fight to get a win,

Wilder like AJ started boxing late in life & found something that worked and stuck to it so very hard to change that in your 30s & on the big stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Good point raised here. Fury switches styles often during fights so changing approach or adapting his tactics wasn’t such a big undertaking. He had two warm up fights and 14 months to work on it too. I don’t think wilder thought much about how he’d win this. It took him a couple of months to come up with his paranoia theory

I see AJ has flipped......he initially was picking Fury to win and now he is picking Wilder to win.

He mentioned what has crossed my mind: Wilder seems like a man possessed for this revenge fight

Whether or not that translates to success we won't know till Sunday morning....but I have a feeling we will see a Wilder giving it a more intense and committed go compared to the first two fights. Fight 1 he was far too cautious and not near aggressive enough. Now, Fury played his part here, of course. But, we could see a more trigger happy Wilder.....and that either gets him the KO, or gets him KO'd

• Advertisement

Wilder has been roaring, making faces and spouting rubbish before fights for the last few years so nothing I can see new with him there. I think he's a bit of a big clown with an ego to match to be honest.

I've never been Fury's biggest fan but there is no way I'm betting against him in a big fight again 😊. He has proved me wrong too many times.

Joshua is just picking Wilder because he doesn't like Fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

AJ flipping might be because fury said himself and sugar hill would train him for free to beat usyk

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

Is that legit? My God.

Where was Joshua talking? Not sure I’d read too much into what he says about it.

I think wilder will be possessed and hes dangerous. I think he can gamble on a few big swings. I don’t really see Fury putting him away with one shot first time and I don’t think he will throw a combo to do it either. He can afford to be wrong 2-3 times even if it will be painful each time. I reckon that’s his best chance. Fury takes his eye off the ball then he could certainly get ko’d

Wilder can blame the lights of his costume effecting his eyesight if he loses this time.

So the wbc have ordered the winner of wallin v whyte to fight the winner of fury v wilder

will whyte finally get his shot at the title ?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

Whyte would be such an easy night’s work for Fury. A poor man’s Joshua. And who cares what Joshua is predicting for the weekend, seriously.

Fury played a blinder at the press conference last night. The master of mind games.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

Wallin - Whyte a decent matchup actually, that could go either way.

I don't get why with all Wilder cheating **** that Fury just doesn't go hold on a minute could u explain this & show His trainer Malik Scott taking a dive against him in the fight that got him his first title shot,

Most obvious dive iv ever seen in my life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Wallin will beat Whyte.

I always find the talk of the first fight being a robbery to be pretty puzzling. Wilder had 2 10-8 rounds and I remember one of them could've been a 10-8 to Fury but for the knockdown. Taking the fight as a whole you could certainly say Fury was clearly better but on round scoring it was extremely tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,121 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The quality at heavyweight is pretty poor at the minute. The only real boxer is Usyk but he's small and lacks power.

Could you imagine any of these guys getting in a ring with a prime Lennox or Vitali?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I think Fury is definitely up there, the division wasnt exactly outstanding when Lewis was champion either, it wasn't until Vitali came along that he was properly tested. And he then retired straight after that.

Fury beat Vlad Klitchsko in his own backyard and beat him well too along with humiliating Wilder in their last fight.

He deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Lewis & the Klitchkos imo.

I think it's a bit of an insult to compare today's crop with what LL had during the 1990s. Lewis beat every man he faced. Met everyone and anyone. Outside Fury and Wilder and AJ (with Wilder and AJ not being great at all) the division is quite poor overall.

Only Fury I would give a chance against LL, for example, and that would be a slim chance. Lewis destroys AJ and Wilder..Lewis met better opposition throughout his career

Agreed. On the rds system 10-9 it was a close fight....several rounds were swing rds due to them being very difficult to score. Very little actual landing of shots in some....I think Fury won more actual rds on two cards, but the 10-8s made the fight closer, resulting in a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

WBC president says winner of Fury/Wilder will have 30 days to agree Usyk fight, or must fight the mandatory (currently Whyte).

https://youtu.be/xprJu2ljG2w

I think Whyte has earned a title shot. I don’t like him and cant be bothered with him but he’s beaten whoever has been put in front of him. I think Fury beats him wide on points but he’s a lump for anyone.

Thanks for the link WB. Yea I did actually read that I thought he said something fresh after his own fight which I would find surprising. Even in that interview he was less than bothered. Right now it’s not of much consequence to him. If wilder were to win I’d say he’d be very interested in that fight. If it could be done would he abandon chasing Usyk for the rematch?

if McCall and Rahman can stop Lewis then so could Wilder & AJ although you would favour Lewis,

Lewis fought bigger names but they where all out of the of there Prime , for example Holyfield was 37 & when your the smaller man who call rely on power as much that's a problem,

I always think fighter of today would destroy fighters of the past because they are fitter bigger stronger,

Sure this weekend Fury will probably weigh 30lnbs more than LL did v Holyfield

• Advertisement

So you wouldn’t class fury as a real boxer ?

Advertisement