Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There quotes from Wlad himself before and after about how he approached it differently and more aggressive ,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Also how do you not understand the difference is Jabs and power punch's and calm Wlad fought the same way against AJ .,
    Everyone who seen the fight could see Wlad was way more aggressive, as I said before double the power punch's is a huge difference ,If you can't recognise this there not much point speaking even a boxing newbee could see the difference,

We discussed this. Came to a kind of agreement...

We all know the differences between a jab and a non jab. A power punch is any non lead jab...

So, I completely understand the difference. That is twice now I have explained that.

The issue here is Wlad's picks....

Simple: Makes sense to me that he would pick AJ based off what I saw. And I am sure he is basing it of what he saw/experienced and felt when facing both...

Nothing overly complicated here...

And maybe it is pointless to discuss seeing as one person is making up stuff that is just not there or true.

I find you amazing you can never give Fury any bit of credit, its like his win was a total fluke to you and Wlad just decided to loss, You actually sound like Wlad in the second gloves  are off when he wouldn't anwer Fury when Fury kept question him on why he wouldn't throw his hands, just total denial .,
    You know its ok to give Fury credit , it doesn't mean your hero AJ didn't do a good job to

That's just blatantly untrue as regards me not crediting Fury. Quit making sh1t up. Where did I ever mention his Wlad win being a total fluke?

I am not his biggest fan. I get that. I see weaknesses in him that Wilder and Fury will expose to win via KO. Big deal. Harldy alone here.

Fury has strengths. I mentioned them plenty of times......

He's a veteran but you  think he just decided to fight in his shell for no reason give me a break ,

I have to pull you on this 'untruth' as well.....

Where are you pulling this from as regards me?

walshb wrote: »
    He's a veteran but you  think he just decided to fight in his shell for no reason give me a break ,

I have to pull you on this 'untruth' as well.....

Where are you pulling this from as regards me?
    "There were many instances where Wald could have let the hands go and he just didn't."
    So a classy veteran just decided not to hit him , nothing to do with Fury,Wlad  just decided nah I wont box him ,

• Advertisement

I just can't even see what angle your coming form to think he fought Fury and Aj in the same style,
    Its just simply not true its not even an opinion he said so himself before and after he was way more aggressive,
     I'm not margining for the sake of it but I just don't get how you don't see it was different game plan and a way more aggressive style when he fought AJ,
    You say power punches are anything but a jab ok fair enough , But he still threw double the amount of these shots in less rounds  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surely that alone shows he changed his style ???? How can you even argue that, he has fought the guy with a different approach thus changed his style its very simple

"There were many instances where Wald could have let the hands go and he just didn't."
    So a classy veteran just decided not to hit him , nothing to do with Fury,Wlad  just decided nah I wont box him ,

Yes, and?

There were many instances.....

He simply chose to fight his usual cautious and negative self, only this time it looked even more pathetic because he wasn't landing against a taller and rangier and athletic man...

You could well say it was partly due to Fury. I never said you couldn't

But, one must realize that Wlad has fought this cautious and negative way for years. Got away with it against smaller and less capable men than Fury. That is the key.

I just can't even see what angle your coming form to think he fought Fury and Aj in the same style,
    Its just simply not true its not even an opinion he said so himself before and after he was way more aggressive,

Where did I say he fought them in the same "style?"

He was Wlad in both fights.....

Of course both fights were not the same as regards the aesthetics. That is because he was facing very different opponents.

BUT, it's clear to me that he was still the same Wlad. Still quite negative and cautious in both bouts....

Sure, he threw more in against AJ, but let's not make out that he was some kind of whirlwind. He had many many lull moments in the AJ fight.

Like I said, it probably cost him the AJ fight, and the Fury fight.

Where did I say he fought them in the same "style?"

He was Wlad in both fights.....

Of course both fights were not the same as regards the aesthetics. That is because he was facing very different opponents.

BUT, it's clear to me that he was still the same Wlad. Still quite negative and cautious in both bouts....

Sure, he threw more in against AJ, but let's not make out that he was some kind of whirlwind. He had many many lull moments in the AJ fight.

Like I said, it probably cost him the AJ fight, and the Fury fight.
    He  double his out put in less round 's that is as clear as day that he changed style,
    He also out landed the come forward fighter AJ in 5 rounds, I think its clear both men went for the kill , unlike his previous fight , where he tried to out jab Fury to no effect,
    I'll leave it at that,

I think you are putting far too much emphasis on this compu box description of power punch......It gives the impression or visual of a man intent on KOing his opponent with mean intentions with every power punch....

• Advertisement

I think you are putting far too much emphasis on this compu box description of power punch......It gives the impression or visual of a man intent on KOing his opponent with mean intentions with every power punch....
    He was clearly trying to knock AJ out,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

But you also have to factor in what Wlad experienced in the ring vs. Fury and AJ. He barely got touched by Fury the whole fight, but got hit a fair bit, and badly hurt vs. AJ. It shouldn't come as a surprise to see him believe that Fury won't beat AJ.

Yes, he may be saying this to stir it, but he may be genuine. It makes sense to me.

He likely believes that AJ absolutely gets to Fury, and has next to nothing to worry about as regards Fury's firepower.

You do raise a good point and it's likely a big part of his reasoning. Reminds of lads who fought Floyd said things like it didn't feel like you were even in a fight. Andre Berto gave a great interview about saying when it was over he thought "wait was that it?" and that Floyd almost 'conned' his way to the win.

Fury did the same sort of thing against Wlad, just did enough and made sure no hostile exchanges would happen. He frustrated the life out of Wlad and Wlad felt the fight with Joshua was an actual proper fight. We could all think of certain parts of the Joshua fight, whereas I'd struggle to remember something significant from the Fury fight.

He was clearly trying to knock AJ out,

At times he was.......at times.....

Was also at times trying to knock Fury out.....

But you also have to factor in what Wlad experienced in the ring vs. Fury and AJ. He barely got touched by Fury the whole fight, but got hit a fair bit, and badly hurt vs. AJ. It shouldn't come as a surprise to see him believe that Fury won't beat AJ.

Yes, he may be saying this to stir it, but he may be genuine. It makes sense to me.

He likely believes that AJ absolutely gets to Fury, and has next to nothing to worry about as regards Fury's firepower.

You do raise a good point and it's likely a big part of his reasoning. Reminds of lads who fought Floyd said things like it didn't feel like you were even in a fight. Andre Berto gave a great interview about saying when it was over he thought "wait was that it?" and that Floyd almost 'conned' his way to the win.

Fury did the same sort of thing against Wlad, just did enough and made sure no hostile exchanges would happen. He frustrated the life out of Wlad and Wlad felt the fight with Joshua was an actual proper fight. We could all think of certain parts of the Joshua fight, whereas I'd struggle to remember something significant from the Fury fight.
    That Berto interview is very good ,really highlights that boxing is not a "fight" to Floyd, 
    He has his little system and ways to win rounds and he does it to perfection , he has little interest in actually hurting his opponent he simply wants to win the round ,He thinks about every way to get the 10  ,

But in this case with Wlad I reckon he rightly believes that AJ will get to Fury.

He has to know that AJ presents more committed firepower and passion than he did vs. Fury.

So, Wlad probably thinks AJ gets to Fury to knock him out.

He may well be underestimating Fury's elusiveness, chin and firepower...

But I don't think he is. I think he is spot on....

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Hard to know. Despite what's been said about Wilder anyway read a short biography about him I got on amazon. Tough oul life did well to get to the level where he's talked about in this thread.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

peter fury not being in tysons corner will be a big factor for me. Ben Davidsons corner work in saunders corner was appauling!

Larsso30 wrote: »
    peter fury not being in tysons corner will be a big factor for me. Ben Davidsons corner work in saunders corner was appauling!
    I heard he may still be in the corner come fight night,

really?? strange i had took it there was something of a falling out there?

really?? strange i had took it there was something of a falling out there?
    Tyson said back in December there was no falling out, It was along the lines of he needed to branch out a little and needed a new voice for motivation to get the weight off, He finished the interview saying he'd do anything for Peter ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Anyway, it's not looking like we will get AJ vs Wilder any time soon. It looks like next fights will be:

AJ vs Povetkin
    Wilder vs Brezeale
    Whyte vs Ortiz.

3 decent fights but not the one we all want.

Wilder had Breazle done already. I do think wilder would fight Aj, but dont think Haymon wants to lose his marquee name

Wilder had Breazle done already. I do think wilder would fight Aj, but dont think Haymon wants to lose his marquee name

Eddie would have you believe that alright but I think it's the other way round. Hearn's offer to Wilder was one expecting him refuse.
    I thought Wilder's 40/60 split offer was fair especially considering it's what Hearn originally talked about.

nothing to do with eddie ffs

look Ortiz v Whyte been mandated today, it excludes Breazle which lends me to think rightly that wilder breazle is already done

the numbers are stupid that has been talked about, 100m fight my arse. 60/40 split my arse. wilder getting 12-15mill is imo good offer.

Any predictions for Haye v Bellew,
    Bellew has had a great few years for someone who really isn't that good at all ,Eddie Hearn has done a great job promoting him,
    Haye should have never came back to the sport he just doesn't have it anymore,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Bellew has had a great few years for someone who really isn't that good at all ,Eddie Hearn has done a great job promoting him,

I was certain Haye would demolish him last time, but even before the injury his timing looked awful.

Perhaps he was injured all along, and was gambling on an early knockout as a result. If I remember rightly, the very injury he ended up with was rumoured 2-3 days before the fight, and he denied it. Regardless, all the talk of "the best Hayemaker ever" has been used too many times before without coming to fruition. I'd call a scrappy points win either way, leaning towards Haye.

It's a shame how Haye at heavyweight turned out. I always liked him but he was too small for HW at first, at least for the Klitschkos. He spent his best years out of the ring, then seemed to come back artificially big to compensate for his lack of natural size, which didn't suit him at all. I can't see him doing much more, I think he's banking on doing enough to get in with AJ for £££.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I was certain Haye would demolish him last time, but even before the injury his timing looked awful.

Perhaps he was injured all along, and was gambling on an early knockout as a result. If I remember rightly, the very injury he ended up with was rumoured 2-3 days before the fight, and he denied it. Regardless, all the talk of "the best Hayemaker ever" has been used too many times before without coming to fruition. I'd call a scrappy points win either way, leaning towards Haye.

It's a shame how Haye at heavyweight turned out. I always liked him but he was too small for HW at first, at least for the Klitschkos. He spent his best years out of the ring, then seemed to come back artificially big to compensate for his lack of natural size, which didn't suit him at all. I can't see him doing much more, I think he's banking on doing enough to get in with AJ for £££.

Like you’re reading my mind!!! I think another overhyped snorefest.

squinn2912 wrote: »

Not a fan of either but Haye on his day was a far more impressive boxer so for that reason alone I hope he win's , Nice to have one final show of what he was capable of,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

squinn2912 wrote: »

Including lots of wild tired swinging which Sky try to sell as "both men putting it all on the line"

• Advertisement

nothing to do with eddie ffs

look Ortiz v Whyte been mandated today, it excludes Breazle which lends me to think rightly that wilder breazle is already done

the numbers are stupid that has been talked about, 100m fight my arse. 60/40 split my arse. wilder getting 12-15mill is imo good offer.

You sound like you work for Eddie :)
    I have no doubt AJ wants wilder but it's Eddie who doesn't want to rush his cash cow IMO. He has to be seen to want to make the Wilder fight so gets around it by talking mandatories and making offers he knows wilder's team will refuse.
    He's a skilled operator no doubt.

Advertisement