Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

i think wilder wants it defo, not so sure about haymon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I agree with haymon. Like Eddie, he doesn't want to risk the cash cow if he can milk away another while. But if Wilder isn't put in against the best guys then the iron will turn cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Personally hearn should tell them to piss off , joshua has 3 of the belts while wilder has 1 so joshua is the a side so to speak , so if anything joshua should get a 75/25 split as he has alot more to lose plus he is a bigger name worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Personally hearn should tell them to piss off , joshua has 3 of the belts while wilder has 1 so joshua is the a side so to speak , so if anything joshua should get a 75/25 split as he has alot more to lose plus he is a bigger name worldwide

Hearn offered Wilder $12.5m which is likely to be at lot less than 25%.
    The point about belts is silly in the extreme. AJ got the IBF off a nobody who had it handed to him. The WBA and WBO were a little more hard earned but the fact is that Wilder has held his a lot longer than AJ has had any and the WBC is the most prestigious belt. 75-25 is not a fair split. 60-40 would be fair IMO I am sure they could negotiate a 65-35 if they were inclined to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

The point about belts is silly in the extreme. AJ got the IBF off a nobody who had it handed to him. The WBA and WBO were a little more hard earned but the fact is that Wilder has held his a lot longer than AJ has had any and the WBC is the most prestigious belt. 75-25 is not a fair split. 60-40 would be fair IMO I am sure they could negotiate a 65-35 if they were inclined to fight.

Doesn’t matter how long or how he obtained them , he has them and is much more the A fighter than a bum who faced bums

• Advertisement

Doesn’t matter how long or how he obtained them , he has them and is much more the A fighter than a bum who faced bums

Oh right. No point engaging with you in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wilder a bum......

Yeh, pointless engaging that....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 eliterank

The whole $50 million offer was embarrassing, Eddie Hearn wanted proof they could pay the money and Wilder responded saying "the moneys in the bag" lol Wilders team wouldn't even send a contract.

It’s all posing. I think wilders team are handing over the initiative but it wouldn’t in the slightest surprise me if this charade has been planned and discussed by both camps. Neither seem to have that much interest in making this fight immediate

What did everyone make of Miller last night?
    For a 300lb guy he has a good engine, movement and fast hands but he doesn’t seem to have any pop in his punches at all.

• Advertisement

For a 300lb guy he has a good engine, movement and fast hands but he doesn’t seem to have any pop in his punches at all.

Agreed...

Hulk of a man with a huge head and huge frame...

How you KO that?....

Offensively he is only decent...

walshb wrote: »

Agreed...

Hulk of a man with a huge head and huge frame...

How you KO that?....

Offensively he is only decent...

I agree too. I think he’s far too heavy and don’t see the stamina showing in a title fight when he gets one. Strange to see such little power behind such a massive man. I think he’d have an entertaining fight with Whyte

all that is very romantic but irrelvevant.

One is the aside who sells out stadiums and the other is a dude from alabama and sells **** all and has boxed a succession of nobodies for his first 40 fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Larsso30 wrote: »

all that is very romantic but irrelvevant.

One is the aside who sells out stadiums and the other is a dude from alabama and sells **** all and has boxed a succession of nobodies for his first 40 fights.
    But that dude from Alabama has the one thing left that Aj and Hearn want, he is not stupid they need to fight him to unfi, So of course he will demand a crazy fee,
    Good example around Liverpool's football club they bought up all the house around the stadium to extend but one guys is holding out and the longer he holds out the bigger the offers get , If its something they want they will pay over the odds,

I am not buying all this nonsense of AJ being the A side....

Ok, he is. But it's not like he's a mega global star. It's not as if he is so far ahead of Wilder as regards talent and skills and global appeal. He is not

He still needs to earn his stripes on a global scale. Plenty out there don't even rate him all that highly in terms of how good he really is at HW.

If they are splitting it it has to be 60-40 at best for AJ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

i just want to see hit happen.

and so i can say i told you so when ive been telling my friends for about 3 years that Wilder will beat AJ as AJ was all hype

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ok, he is. But it's not like he's a mega global star. It's not as if he is so far ahead of Wilder as regards talent and skills and global appeal. He is not

He still needs to earn his stripes on a global scale. Plenty out there don't even rate him all that highly in terms of how good he really is at HW.

Na AJ is light years ahead of wilder in terms of marketability and the amount of money he can bring in (at the moment.)

I had a few friends at the last wilder stiverne fight. There was feck all at it and tickets were going for peanuts. By all accounts even the Ortiz fight was a pretty low-key affair.

Now sure all this can change instantly should wilder win spectacularly however at this moment in time AJ is the a-side simple as.

And as a result of this a 60-40 split while I'd view as fair it's certainly not the best AJ and Hearn could hope for.

And I'm not saying they should but they certainly could push for more.

The talk of little interest in Stiverne or Ortiz vs Wilder... one was a late stand in in terrible condition and the other never attracted big interest. If Povetkin has been coming to USA it would’ve sold out. That’s not Wilder’s fault.
    They can push all they want but he holds the belt and being the undisputed champ is a huge carrot

AJ is known big in the UK...bigger than Wilder, of course..

Hardly a huge U.S. name. Has never even boxed there...

It’s the standard UK hype with him..we are talking about UK hype. You know, the same hype that saw Frankie and Kell sell out the O2 on PPV. Cleverly/Bellew II selling out on PPV. The British audience are no different than the Irish audience; they’d buy any old sh1t..

This will be a global fight....

Take the UK out of it and they are as known as each other, and as marketable and appealing as each other...in other words, not all that appealing...despite the fight being a global attraction...

The fight is very appealing...two big undefeated punchers in sports historically premier title..

But neither man has come close to setting the world on fire..neither all that globally appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The difference is the wlad fight. That's the fight that put Aj on the global platform.

He is pretty well known globally. And just as the UK isn't the be all and end all neither is the US.
    He also has a fairly big social media presence and a decent sponsorship deal with under armour.

The only trump card the US can pull over the rest of the world is the money Vegas can front to hold a fight. And thus far Wilder hasn't seen any of this cash either. The difference is Joshua has been selling out stadiums in the UK.

And before anyone says it I'm not brown nosing Joshua or Hearn or anything of the sorts I'm just giving my own view on things.

I'm happy as long as the HW champ of the world is an aggressive unit of a man as that's what boxing needs that's what sells and that's what captures the casual interest.

Both AJ and Wilder fit the bill so I'm pretty happy no matter who's on top.

• Advertisement

Dude, sorry but your wrong. AJ is on another planet in comparison to wilder, a total other galaxy

Dude, sorry but your wrong. AJ is on another planet in comparison to wilder, a total other galaxy

Go way out of that..

Where is he so much on another planet other than England and Britain?

It needs to be stressed that he still has not come close to greatness......he may never.

Quoting twitter or Instagram of FB followers I am not at all interested in...

I concede that he is better known and better marketed than Wilder, but he is not a global appealing athlete in the real sense. Not close....

Go way out of that..

It needs to be stressed that he still has not come close to greatness......he may never.

I concede that he is better known and better marketed than Wilder, but he is not a global appealing athlete in the real sense. Not close....
    Totally agree. I think he puts across that point himself as well where he talks about his journey and how much more he's got to do. He does it in a nauseating way but he still does it. No big silly claims just yet. 
    But at the moment there's nothing to choose from really between the two of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

If it was Wilder that held 3 belts and was filling stadiums, i tell you lads the Yanks wouldn't be slow letting Joshua and his team know who the "A" side is. And Joshua would be getting shut up or put up poor deal.
    How long does it take for one of the sanctioning bodies to make each other a mandatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭megadodge

Go way out of that..

Who's talking about 'greatness'?

Greatness and superstardom are two completely different things.

David Beckham was not great. David Beckham was a superstar.

Joshua and Wilder are light years apart in terms of earning potential. Wilder would earn by far his biggest purse if he was to fight Joshua just getting a 20% split. That's because there is one superstar in this equation and it ain't Wilder! Trying to claim otherwise is just bizarre.

AJ is not a superstar

At least not yet.

Nor is he great, at least not yet.

Slice it and dice it any way you want, he is not some global behemoth, and he is not some global appeal.

The likes of Ronaldo, Beckham (god knows why), Messi, Woods, Lebron, Maywather, Manny etc are global appealing and famous athletes/stars...

Ali, Tyson, Pele, Maradona being global starts in years past

No issue saying that he is more known than Wilder on a local and international stage, but the way some are spouting this you would think he was the next Tyson or Ali.

I brought greatness into it as simply an add on....

For me a true star is someone who is considered a great in their field....

AJ still has to earn his greatness and still has to earn his true global appeal. They are "somewhat" linked.

I know, you can become ridiculously famous and have huge selling and marketability even if you aren't great in your filed.....Kournikova and Beckham to name two...AJ is not near these two in that regard.

In this bland and fickle and mediocre and attention seeking crazed fame world, you don't need to do all that much to become a global household name.

I personally do not consider AJ to be a global name/appeal compared to many many others.

If it was Wilder that held 3 belts and was filling stadiums, i tell you lads the Yanks wouldn't be slow letting Joshua and his team know who the "A" side is. And Joshua would be getting shut up or put up poor deal.
    How long does it take for one of the sanctioning bodies to make each other a mandatory?

AJ is filling UK stadiums.....big fooking deal. Hype and more hype....filling them out against nobodies, apart from Wlad.....he isn't the first, and he won't be the last to do this.

Does anyone really believe AJ would be selling huge numbers in the U.S. if he was fighting these nobodies? They wouldn't even turn on their tvs for it.

That is not the definition of a star in the global sense.

Jeez, some people are really please and impressed easily....

Bernard Dunne was selling out venues here in Ireland.......

I agree. A full house to watch a total mismatch doesn't imply greatness.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I agree. A full house to watch a total mismatch doesn't imply greatness.

Or imply super-stardom....

• Advertisement

pac_man wrote: »
    How do you measure global success in what is questionably a niche sport in global terms. I read that Joshuas last fight was broadcasted in 215 territories. We're talking about a guy with 21 fights! He's on a different planet to wilder in terms of popularity and commercial value.

I just don't believe that AJ to date is some kind of sporting superstar globally...

I cannot see it or feel it. Whatever way one tries to assess it or measure it or quantify it. It doesn't ring home for me.

Yes, known and famous and established......But not in the true wow global senses. Not close.

More known than Wilder? I would agree with this statement.

But so much of this hype is purely British located and spouted...

Advertisement