Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

This is comical 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Mother of Mercy what a loads shite. About 20 people in the leaky arena. Dubois is thanking God and telling everyone he’s worked so hard for this moment. Laughable. Bryan was a flabby lardass who beat a flabby lardass. This is an insult to real title holders.

Did Bryan take a dive there? That was a very theatrical attempt to get up and then capsize again and then when it hit ten he got up on steady legs. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

He was caught lovely but that flop back onto the canvas and rush to get up then was very Hollywood. Maybe just didn't want to be there. I think he threw one punch in the first round.

Champ my ass. I actually thought he looked quite poor and hittable last night. At only 24 though he could kick on well over the next 2-3 years. He mentioned Parker and Whyte. I’m not sure they’re great matches for him right now I think either would beat him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

joe Joyce was a clear winner against him, now i think is probably better than he gets credit for but hard to see Dubois beating whyte or Parker at the moment .

Yea I agree. They keep on going back to him being ahead on 2 scorecards when he took the knee. For my money he only clearly won one round and a case could be made for 2 more max. Joyce had him in his pocket from the word go. Even that fool last night got through when he tried a bit. I think both Parker and Whyte give him awful trouble with their jabs. He needs to be aiming lower. Takam or Heliunas however you spell it. Spilka that kinda ilk. It’s a delicate line for him. He wants to be fighting lads who aren’t utter gimmes but aren’t that dangerous. Next 2 fights are very important for him. I think they’ll be unearthing Lartys with unbeaten records for him to heavy bag but that’s not really bringing him on. He could gain from sparring Fury he’d improve him no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Feels like a big gamble this paying a guy who's likely to be taking his third loss in five fights. Going to be shelling out millions paying Joshua to fight Chisora in a comeback fight in the 02.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,602 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AJ and Hearn can fook right off if AJ loses again vs Usyk

Style wise I think Parker hammers Dubois. Too versatile and resilient. Dubois has much better chance v Whyte, who is probably shot to bits now.

• Advertisement

Ah lads Usyk hasn’t beaten him yet! I can see lots of ways for him to win that

Emmm I half agree. Hammer might be a stretch but yes he wins for me. He is so much more developed than Dubois. I’m not sure Whyte is shot. He’s bound to be thinking he’s a milllion miles from winning a world title but still very dangerous. Hughie Fury? If its close its easy to give him a decision if not he looks great…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Surely the deal is based off how he does in rematch,

As in win & he is given ex amount lose and he is on Y,

Where does he go if he loses ,

Id love to see him fight Wilder but its a fight he won't take till Wilder is 40 odd,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The money men are hoping for an AJ win and then AJ vs Fury. Which I think will happen if AJ wins

Was thinking the same

1. win and he is right back at or near the top. Can claim to have avenged both his defeats. His stock rises...
    2. Loses....he can fcuk off.

How it plays out remains to be seen, but I think it's clear that AJ needs something different than the timid and cautious box type approach from fight 1.

He's 6 feet 6 and 245 lbs. He's clearly the bigger man. He needs to act and behave like he is, and show some balls and give it an actual go. HW champion of the world in fight 1 and fought like a windbag I felt. That approach may works against the likes of a fat unprepared Ruiz, or Parker, but not against Usyk

I am not sayin new approach and tactics means he wins. I am saying he needs to change. He needs to try a deal harder everywhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Who has Joshua actually beaten?

Klitschko was on his last legs. 41 years old.

Whyte - average at best

Parker - Limited, went to points

Povetkin - end of his career

Pulev - Rubbish

Andy Ruiz - the man didn't train at all for the rematch and came in so under prepared it was comical. Still went the distance.

It's been done to death the whole who did he he beat, and the other lad beat etc....

The top 5 HWs rated in the world now.....I can't get excited over any of their resumes....

You can pick and poke at them all.

I think it’s worth remembering that Joshua as bad as he was was well in the fight at the end of R9 and at that point he bloodied Usyk. Usyk took over down the straight and his fitness made all the difference. Joshua would have been better going gung-ho than just letting the well run dry and giving up his belts cheaply and meekly. I don’t think Usyk will be as good and I don’t think Joshua will be as bad. After that the bigger, stronger man has a lot of advantages if he uses them.

I th

Biggest question mark in this fight for me is what did the 2 to 3 months in Ukraine do to Usyk's shape & engine ,

Obviously he had more important stuff to worry about but how did it effect his weight it took him time to build up to heavy weight correctly ,

So it'll be interesting to see did it have an effect on his body composition , Hard to think he was training and eating as well as pre AJ 1,

So where is he size wise ,

• Advertisement

Yep that;s another issue I’ve been mulling over. What I said above stands in my opinion without the war so putting that into the mix could have both positive and negative consequences. He will be super motivated maybe hardened and more determined than ever. He could be distracted or have some of those technical problems youre suggesting. It’s facinating but I’;m picking Joshua again here.

The weight is a massive issue for me & could be his undoing

I also truly believe AJ didn't want this fight but has no where else to go, If the fight goes beyond 3/4 rounds AJ will pack it & be stopped .

I am a bit suspicious at how confident Eddie and DAZN seem to be portraying an AJ win...

I cant imagine AJ goes into fight 2 (with all that is at stake and with all the pressures to win) as cautiously and timidly.

We should get some sort of war in fight 2, for however long it lasts...

It's a 50-50 for me, slightly leaning with Usyk

He did go the full 12 in fight 1......no reason why he cannot go 12 in fight 2, should fight 2 be similar....unless you believe that Usyk piles on pressure from rds 5 onwards to get a stoppage...

Ye he did but iv a sneaky feeling AJ's mental game is crumbling , going on some of the interviews he has given since that fight he seems a bit lost,

I honestly think with the change of head coach ,all the talk of taking Usyk out & the knowing its win or bust, He will really unravel this time if he can't get Usyk out early ,

Could i be completely wrong of course i could but i think AJ falls apart in this one ,

Falls apart mentally, physically or both?

I mean, if he has really trained hard and prepared physically, then his body should be able to go rds here

I think sometimes the mental side things is over-analyzed.

I think he mentally packs it in this time,

Last time out he stopped trying to win after round 9 and went in survival mode,

I don;t think so. That questioning between rounds and bizarre talk really started vs Ruiz and he was at it again against Usyk. He can’t go back in and bs about chess. He needs to try to hurt Usyk. I think if Usyk is catching him again and he is having no success after 4-5 rounds then Usyk just takes over to win more convincingly. Maybe I’m swapping a bit but he really needs to be going for this.

Well, with AJ it wouldn't be a huge surprise. There is that kind of fragility, and lack of real pro type survival/grit skills.

Of course, physical preparation is very important for how the mind works during the tough times in boxing. So if AJ has really prepared and improved his physical capabilities (cardio/ruggedness/strength), then the mind should also improve...gives that air of confidence and belief when you know and feel that your body is in tiptop shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I was worried about that originally as he was reportedly walking around at low 190s when he left Ukraine but it has been months now since he is in Poland. The more this fight has got delayed has suited him, I imagine he is in shape by now.

Advertisement