Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

at the beginning of 9 Fury’s face is a bloody mess. He tries some grab & uppercut roughhouse tactics and then he’s running scared. Usyk batters him. Lovely sneaky right hook drew a nod of appreciation from Fury. Ref right to count and right to allow fury to continue. He had to take him by the hand back to his corner.
    Usyk moves 4 ahead by the end of the 10th as Fury clings on, offering little offence (understandably)

In 10 a few wild swings with the left miss from Usyk.
    commentators assert that Fury needs 11&12 & a knockdown, maybe 2.

Fury takes 11 by a whisker but looked vulnerable throughout after the first minute in the round.
    3 in it. Fury’s corner have a nightmare as all one thousand of them give him the yes he so sorely doesn’t need.

in the 12 Fury looks to hold and spoil. Usyk with a couple and fury responds from the back foot. Usyk gets him in the corner, Fury clings on for dear life and Usyk shrugs him off before landing a sharp left.

Two good rights from Usyk and fury lands the best shot of the round with a good right. Last 30 seconds and a very tired fury showboats and then spoils, Usyk still chasing and landing.

Viewers and commentators both gave 11 to Usyk while I have it fury. 12 for me was 10-10 so 115-112 with a generous 11 and a12 for fury.

Stop saying this was a one round fight you know far too much to be at that nonsense. Usyk won clearly and well. Had Fury engaged he’d have been stopped. I’d say a gulf but not a chasm.
    that’s me for a while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Any of the knowledgeable posters here know the exact specifics for the rules around the ropes/corner holding up a clearly struggling boxer.

For example do the boxers legs have to buckle before the ref steps in?

Just on my viewing of the 9th there's maybe 2 or 3 occasions where the ref could have stepped in and gave a standing 8 count to Fury before he actually did, if it weren't for the ropes he'd have definitely been on the broad of his back however the ref didn't until his legs began to buckle.

Just an interesting thought that had fury got his 8 count sooner Usyk would then have actually had time to get after him again with fury actually somewhat upright rather than flailing around the ring like a ragdoll which inadvertently allowed fury to avoid a few big shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't think a standing 8 count was in effect for this fight. So, only choice referee had was to step in to stop the fight, or wait for a KD.

The KD was ruled due to the ropes preventing Fury from going down….same as Hearns in rd 13 v Ray Leonard 1981.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭GHendrix

it’s so funny that people are trying to create this narrative that Usyk was comfortable throughout.

At the midpoint, Fury was dominating him. Ahead on the cards, had him hurt, tired and kissing his cross while his eye was treated. Fury didn’t have a mark on him.

Usyk did great to comeback and rounds 8 and 9 won him the fight. But it wasn’t easy. He had to dig deeper than ever before

At midpoint Fury was dominating him? When most had it 3-3? Seriously, this is just ludicrous thinking. There was only ONE single truly dominant moment(s), and that was the last 20-25 seconds rd 9 when Fury was as close to being stopped as possible

The excuses being made for Fury losing, and Usyk being a deserved and clear winner are laughable. Latest one now is Fury was dominating Usyk midpoint, as well as Hearn being quoted as saying a masterclass by Fury. Fury, being pushed back most of the whole fight, and most of the first 6 rds (midpoint) as well……laughable

it’s laughable to suggest that Fury wasn’t in complete control at the midpoint.

Right. So being pushed back every rd of those first 6, and at 3-3 pretty much; but wait, he did land a few punches on Usyk.. gotcha, complete control..😖

• Advertisement

2 of the official judges scorecards had Fury 4 2 up after round six. 5 2 after round seven.

Of course, scorecards only reveal so much. You can also look at the corner and see the fighters. One was heavy breathing, kissing his cross and getting treated. It wasn’t Tyson Fury.

When you are 5 2 down after 7 rounds and you’ve been hurt with body shots and uppercuts, it’s clearly not going to plan.

Usyk deserves huge credit for coming back into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭reclose

I had it 3-3 after 6. Usyk won the first 3, they were close rounds.

Fury won the next 3-5 rounds (can’t remember exactly) it was beginning to look like Fury was taking over the fight and would eventually stop Usyk.

Usyk adjusted and won most of the remaining rounds, nearly stopped Fury, but Fury did win a couple more rounds before the end.

It was definitely a close fight and only a couple of rounds in it. Some rounds were hard to score.

I see, didn't realise it wasn't a standing 8 he got.

Just on the other point could a ref call a kd and count if a fighter falls backwards into the ropes but legs are still straight under them.

If those ropes weren't behind fury he was flat like he was against Cunningham so could the ref have called the kd earlier or do you really need to see legs buckling combined with the ropes holding a fighter up.

Referees use their knowledge and expertise to determine if a fighter is down, but only ropes preventing boxer from being actually down. There is no text to say how legs are. Referee decides if ropes only thing preventing fighter from being down. Falling into them and heading downwards in distress is the usual indicator/guide.

Fury did not get a standing 8 count. He was deemed to have been knocked down. There was no standing 8 count in effect for the fight.

Just to add, the standing 8 count rarely used as a rule in pro boxing. It’s usually always the mandatory 8 count in effect

I get ya.

Read ya loud and clear about the 8 count not being in effect too. Was just saying that I hadn't realised it wasn't in effect.

What do ya reckon yourself do ya think the ref could have called him down earlier due to the fact the ropes saved him a few times?

• Advertisement

No. I think the ropes didn’t have same “saving” effect earlier in the attack. Referee was right to call it a KD when he did.

aye nothing wrong with bouncing into the ropes not the same as them saving you. If the ref had called a count any earlier it woulda been harsh on both and when he did call it he was right.
    it wasn’t the hardest fight to referee but for all that I thought he did a great job

Ya I'd agree the ref had a pretty good night and ya it was a much more straightforward fight than I had envisaged. I thought it'd be a terribly scrappy affair.

The one time I feel they probably nearly did was literally right after the first big left hook that did the damage. Fury fell in free fall back into them, but could then just about keep himself upright after the ropes had caught him.

The rest before the final stagger as ye said he was more crashing into them, still willing some sort of control into his legs.

Just something I was thinking about earlier today thanks for the replies.

Usyk’s jaw not fractured/broken.

didn’t think so not that it’s very relevant. I think team fury are happy enough with the decision otherwise there’d be a clamour.

I’ve said it myself that fury hasn’t much to improve on but saying that his fitness and legs stood up pretty well even if he did concede ground. He can improve a lot in the corner. He can get the jab going. He can forget about silly stuff. He can use his weight better. Usyk would be virtually the same which is excellent but a rematch isn’t an easy call at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just because it was 3 -3 means nothing

Usyk nicked the first few round they could have been scored either way ,I'd you look at the shot landed in round 1 & 2 Fury landed more , Furys 3 rounds he was out landing Usyk by double digits,

So just because a fight is 3 rounds each it does not tell the full story

It's safe & honesty fo say before round 9 the rounds Fury won where by a clearer margin than the ones Usyk won

Th

But that’s the thing..Usyk won’t be the same. Whatever Fury does differently, Usyk, with his adaptability and skills will change. That’s what make a rematch potentially intriguing.

Add in now the real threat that Usyk can really hurt Fury. Nobody really thought that possible, but it really is possible.

Let’s not pretend rds 4-6 inclusive were in any way dominant. They weren’t. Fury deserved them, but he was far from dominating them. Basic 10-9 wins.

2 of the official cards had Fury 5 2 up after 7 rounds. To win, Usyk either needed to win all remaining rounds or get a knockdown / KO.

He delivered something really special when he really needed it.

Rematch is still impossible to call. Some minor adjustments and Fury could win it. It has to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If they are smart and want the big money then Fury wins the second one and they get a monster payday for the rubber match.

by the same I mean the same standard. He’s so consistent. Always delivers. Always focussed, movement and shot selection fantastic.
    mid Fury had won you could say very little that Usyk did wrong. The way it’s gone there’s lots to say about Fury. Usyk made him very uncomfortable but Usyk didn’t take away his jab, didn’t make him showboat etc.

Usyk 100% can hurt him yes. If his legs are as we suspect in decline then it’s likely Usyk wins even clearer. If he sorta out his house and gets a bit more luck huge chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Carl Frampton saw it pretty much the same as Hearn after 6 rounds he didn't think usyk had a way to win, fury dominant.

Hearn said masterclass. So stupid, not even worth debate. I watched on Sky. Viewers scores, if I recall correctly were 97-93 Usyk after 10. Anyone using words dominant and masterclass for either man after 6 rds is absolutely clueless

Frampton is clueless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

George groves had fury comfortably ahead after 7 and thought he was going to stroll to victory too. Groves is one of the fairer unbiased pundits.

• Advertisement

So that’s now 2 of the official judges, Hearn, Frampton and Groves that all had Fury comfortably ahead. There’s many more as well that think the same. You can’t keep calling everyone clueless because you disagree.

Maybe it’s just you that got it wrong. You admit that you give rounds based on a fighter coming forward. Probably bias plays the largest part as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

come o. Folks nobody is right or wrong it’s just opinion, because the fight was close a case can be made by anyone to back either man but it is irrelevant because the judges cards are final

The internet isn’t for everyone

For that analysis/comment, yes.. like I said, neither man dominant/dominating after 6 rds

Yes. Moving in. Done to death. Best man won and was a deserving winner.

On to the potential rematch, where I think Usyk gets the job done again. He has too much energy, belief and desire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

He wasnt in trouble. He lost the rounds. Its boxing. You win some you lose some, you try to win more than you lose. There was only one round in that fight where someone was actually in trouble.

He was in trouble of losing the fight. After 7 rounds, 2 of the official cards had him 5 2 down. So he literally needed to win every other round or get a Knockdown/KO. And Fury had all the momentum.

It was an unbelievable turnaround though. Fair play to Usyk. His boxing in those final few rounds was incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Well to be fair Carl has more experience than anyone in dominating a fight for 6 rounds and running out of steam against anyone decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I mean going by how the judges score it could of been 4-3 too, so hardly dominant. The 10-8 in round 9 clinched it for usyk, he coasted the remaining rounds with some lovely boxing. Very enjoyable fight, I look forward to the rematch but I see the same outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

5 v 5 coming soon and we have take a knee v hrgovic which i can only see going one way and that is to hrgovic but he hasn't really been tested in so long he could be shot to bits but either way it will be a good scrap

zhang v wilder is a hard one to call for me, both men have serious power and both looked like they had a bad day at the office so im sitting on the fence for now

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

Surprised at that , "Fury landing more " ? do you have a link for those states ,What i saw was a very slow and awkward Fury For rd 1 2 ,he through a few shots most were blocked and acted the maggot when getting himself cornered (whether intentional or not),Uysk was too wise to try and go for broke when others would dive right in then.knew he had to ware fury down.

Even though I had Usyk up at rd6 thought 6-7 fury looked to be in gaining control and i thought usyk looked tired and was going to lose then, but in hindsight I do think Usyk was taking a breather round as such as he seems to normally do in recent fights ,I'm convinced he has done it in rd 7 a few times for some reason .

I Still think Usyk won 1-3, rd 4 I thought was even, 5-6 fury and 7 what I saw was fury but my stream broke up a bit so missed some of the action there, I felt Usyk even when being hit in those rounds was delivering back good accurate blows and keeping Fury honest.

my 2 favorite points in the match was Furys face when he took those heavy shots to the nose/head in round eight where you knew it hurt and his face said it all and his face when he was against the ropes with Usyk slightly over him and the ref stepping in, don't think I've ever moticed him look so panicked as such in any other fight or knockdown, would love to know what was going through his head at that point but you gotta to admire so ability to shake them off ….

Rematch could really go anyway and this fight exceeded my expectations in quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Domiinating in the sense that they where clear Fury rounds, Not like the first 3 which where touch & go either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

FWiW I had Fury 5-2 up after 7 (could have been 4-3) then gave Usyk everything else to win 115-112.

I definitely thought Fury was in control after 6/7 and he looked to be cruising to a landslide points win or late stoppage but Usyk made a huge comeback in those last 5 and deserved a UD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I find this breakdown quite interesting. Ignoring the mistakes on the graphic of Usyk winning the last 8 rounds 10-8 it gives Usyk 116-111 just based on punches landed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I ended up 115-112 myself and posted that right after the fight. Thing is that's only one round away from 114-113 that two of the judges had and there were close rounds that I gave to Usyk. I gave him more of the close rounds than I did to Fury but I was pretty confident he won those rounds.

Well, now finally common sense. As I said, basic 10-9 rds wins. Nothing dominant. Competive rds that Fury deserved. Dominant is an exaggeration!!

When people start using words like masterclass, dominating, serious trouble, badly hurt to describe the first 6 rds (in either man’s favor) they’ll be called out as clueless.

I have no issue with Fury being officiallly ahead after 6-7 rds. Personally I had it 3-3, 4-3, 5-3 after 6, 7 and 8 rds; and I’ll accept 4-4 (on my second viewing).

Usyk then showed his championship class to pour it on and close the show. 116-111 for me

boards poster confirms former world champions and one of the biggest promoters in boxing as clueless 😁

Yes….clueless to come out with those words to describe the Fury performance after 6 rds. It doesn't seem to sink in here for you. . And are boxing promoters/boxers immune from saying dumb sh1t from time to time?

Great example: Ryder v Munguia a few months back. 8 completed rds, and it's 8-0 Munguia, with I think a 10-8 or two for good measure…….Amir Khan: this is a 50-50 fight…………see what I mean?

• Advertisement
Advertisement