Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭geotrig

Yeah I saw that this morning as well, he kept saying it would be though for aj to be ready for Dec but also kept saying the plan was to fight Dec and March/ Apr anyway 😉

Still think they are all bluffing each other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

AJ hasn’t been the same since the defeat to Ruiz IMO, he was pretty gung-ho prior to that, he’s just a bit more tentative now and that has negated his strengths I feel.

It’s be really hard to see him getting the better of a tuned in Fury, on all recent form he has no chance.

Obviously it’d be a huge pay day, but the timing isn’t good from a Joshua perspective. I’d advise him to have at least one fight before facing Fury. I also suspect his mindset may not be the best, the ramblings post the Usyk fight were cringe-inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Well yes and also the idea that tune ups might beat him. I suppose Ruiz was a tune up or stand in but that was very careless.

I thought Joshua did well in fight 2 and was well in the fight throughout but Usyk clear winner. In fight 1 he was awful. Fight 2 He created a better chance for himself but he didn’t go after it except for a brief moment.

Yep Fury can be hurt and no one yet knows for sure how Joshua would do against Wilder either or how he would have done had they fought for all the belts. Up until now Fury’s wins against Wilder dont quite make him ATG unless he continues to back it up against the stiffest opposition that’s out there. He has plenty of tools to trouble Fury. I feel more confident now that I did before that Fury wins that but it’s a contest.

Watched the Fury Whyte fight again last night. Jesus that was some chasm in levels. Fury didn’t have to do anything that amazing just move. By the 6th Whyte was at his old game of lookin 80 seconds between rounds and then midway through the round blowing again. Fury was clinical. - upped the pace and then took the opening when it came. I expected Whyte to be able to continue at the time but it was a heavy kd. Whyte trying to say it was an ankle injury is embarrassing.

Have a listen lads this is why I’ve always enjoyed Fury

https://fb.watch/fpi2xpe3DY/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nice listen..

but same old same old. All bluff and waffle. They just need to fight.

I agree with Fury. It was just a spar two weeks ago. And I agree with Fury that AJ is kind of match fit. Few weeks rest and he’s brand new. No reason why he cannot be ready to go December time.

anyway, Fury is such a spoofer that we can expect another possible retirement by December.

Bellew, the bellend needs to let go a this AJ man-love. AJ has always been just an overhyped manufactured attraction.

last: I agreed with Simon Jordan. Other than one shot power, AJ is a better boxer/fighter than Wilder

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Eddie Hearn gave Bellew a job on Dazn after he retired.

He is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Bellew is living up ajs hole for years now it’s getting silly, I’m all for backing a fighter but when he’s beaten by the better man on the night then there’s no shame in it

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

i think Wilder also has a better Jab than AJ,

Iv said it for years i think Wilder beats AJ,

AJ is not comfortable being hit ,remember in Ruiz 2 he got the jitter every time Ruiz landed on the inside AJ looked petrified

I thin the sheer thought of Wilder landing on him would have him making errors in that fight ,

I also think its a fight we will never see as Hearn & AJ won't go near Wilder unless he is a complete busted flush

I am not saying Wilder cannot beat AJ. He can, and if he does it is by KO.

I think AJ can win via points and via KO, because he is a clearly better boxer, has far better technique and fundamentals, as well as more variety

It's a real pick em for me, and as I have always said, it does not get past 3 rds........I'd be hugely surprised if it went the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Isn’t it strange how Eddie was talking about taking Aj on a world tour and then fury goes on about fighting him which is possibly a wind up and Eddie is straight on the phone to the warrens

it will be good to see the fight happen but I’m not getting my hopes up, I think fury will jab his head off and go for a knock out but I’m always worried watching fury in case the wrong one turns up like when he got his eye split open

The internet isn’t for everyone

I wouldn't call AJ the better boxer,

He is better at some part & wilder is better at some parts,

In fact i think Wilder wins 8 out of 10 fights against AJ so there for he should be considered the better boxer

but i get what you are saying

I could see a Wilder Joshua fight going beyond halfway. Joshua fights at distance these days. If the Wilder Ortiz fights went what 9 rounds and 5 or 6? Then he and Joshua could box away before the bombs fly. It could happen any time. I think no matter who wins its a seesaw type fight.

He's better at the more text book boxer fundamentals.

Boxer is an array, and also, subjective. I tend to weight and lean towards punch delivery/mechanics and feet positioning when I think of boxing/boxer! AJ is juts more stable, measured, poised and fluid in comparison the quite awkward, almost clumsy looking Wilder.

Boxing is a whole package kinda thing though. Joshua will have a better stance and structure and he might have learned the combos a bit neater too. Wilder I feel demonstrates Better ability to hang in there or heart. Both are poor when being attacked. Wilder throws a better, stiffer jab and has the big power but as I say combos (if he throws) is Joshua. I looked at Wilder Fury 3 last night again and Wilder gave it a real go and had Fury in trouble on a few occasions. If he could put that much into a fight again is another matter. For me, Wilder wins mid late stoppage I dont think it’s a shootout early

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Fury has never ducked anybody so i wouldn't call him a spoofer calling for aj fight. He generally fights who he call out. Eddie hearn now thats a spoofer who picked wilder and whyte to beat fury. Said numerous times fury wouldnt fight wilder and he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It's a great fight for Fury. There's really no basis for anyone predicting a Joshua victory at the moment, he doesn't look at all like the fighter that KOd Klitschko a few years ago. But it'd still make a gazillion pounds, Fury will keep the belts, and then he can focus on the more realistic challenge that would be provided by Usyk, should he want that fight.

At the moment it's absolutely the wrong move for Joshua, it smacks of Hearn hoping for one last massive pay day out of him.

I dunno. Joshua after the first Usyk fight maybe because he was all but stopped. Again. On his feet. Again. Fury had a point when he said he’s just had a sparring session. He wasn’t beat up and he was pissed off. Maybe he’d fancy having a craic at a big hw.

I was calling him a spoofer not because of any ducking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fury v AJ December 3rd in Cardiff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Fair play to Joshua if this happens.

They've changed the goal spots so many times and he has agreed to all their terms.

He has lost 3 of his last 5 fights ,

He has zero belts ,

He is ranked 6th in the WBC rankings,

He has no business fighting Fury right now

He also extremely lucky to be getting 40%

He should be delighted & grateful that he has been given this opptunity

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"opportunity" to get beaten up in front of millions of people, for a pile of money he doesn't need.

I dont agree with this. He lost badly and avenged and then got beaten twice by Usyk who has to be at least no 2. He’s still the biggest draw for Fury to fight. By miles. No one wants to watch Fury dismantle Wilder again so he’s by far the best option. He has just lost and probably fancies a tune up or two so to get him to fight isn’t that easy and they need a sweetener. He should be happy to fight and has a massive reward but Fury is doing great out of it too. Fury doesn’t have all that many more options, especially in that timeframe. I’ve never liked Joshua but I’m on for cutting him a bit more slack than that

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm guessing AJ will probably make more money from this fight than the alternative "rebuild" fights he originally intended added together, so it's a pension for him really.

When he loses this one he is surely done, what else is there for him to do other than go enjoy retirement.

At least the fight is in Cardiff and one of the Gulf states didn't get their mitts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'm shocked ,thought it was dead in the water the last few days , hats off to AJ for agreeing. If he loses I think he still has a few years left in him If he does decide to continue but who knows if he wins i wonder where that leaves any fury fight with Usyk etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

This time around, there will certainly be no pressure on Joshua. Fury will be the firm fave.

This is the big money fight and was always going to happen when Eddie had rung as much out of Joshua as he could.

• Advertisement

Let's hope this is genuine. Reading reports it appears AJ and Hearn are all set, and Warren is set

Fury now needs to not fooking retire again!

If this fight happens, fooking legend!!!

Post edited by walshb on

Advertisement