Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wilder and AJ could possibly really connect clean and badly hurt him. His chin, if it’s really rock solid, would see him stop AJ and Wilder.I’m talking a Ray Mercer type chin.

Fury would, like Usyk be made work every second. But Fury, unlike Usyk, is much bigger, heavier, taller.. and like Usyk, very fit.

Joyce won’t land as clean or as effectively on Fury as I think he would on Usyk.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I said he stop Parker late, the part I was wrong with is that I said joe would look bad early, he didn’t , work to do but much more considered approach .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I almost was spot on, again. I just picked the wrong winner……

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I fancy Joyce against AJ more than Wilder i really do ,

Joyce would be a nightmare for AJ , We have seen AJ is afraid to of tiring ever since the Ruiz fight, even in Usyk 2 AJ knew he had to stand in the first to win & was only able to do it for 1 round , Joyce would be an absolute nightmare for him ,

It's been a long time since AJ really turned someone's lights out properly

• Advertisement

Agreed. Wilder more risky.

But AJ, if he puts together clean power shots and lands flush, well? Joyce’s chin, to date has held up, but really, how severely has it been tested?

AJ, is one to really test it, and of course, Wilder.

Fury, I would make the warmest favorite vs. Joyce. The other three? I’d lean with Joyce vs Wilder and AJ, and barely lean with Usyk

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I don't think Joyce v Usyk is very competitive tbh. Usyk has the gas tank to match his pace/output and his footwork and speed will be far too much.

Joyce v Wilder/Joshua are brilliant fights.

AJ and Usyk shared 24 rds. 72 minutes of action. Fair bit of it was very competitive and closely fought.

Usyk was really made earn the wins. I think Joyce will apply even more pace and pressure than AJ, as well as not being near as timid.

This, for me sees Usyk-Joyce being very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Styles make fights though. I like Joyce but Usyk is his worst nightmare. Joyce marching forward in a straight line while Usyk constantly turns him and picks him off. I'd really struggle to see anything but a clear Usyk points win.

Yes, the feet and use of feet from Usyk is his key. I’m just not sure it’s done as easily as you make out. AJ is quite predictable, slow footed and straight/lined as well, and Usyk had to really work hard to win, as well as AJ being too timid. Joyce should go harder and for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Just catching up. What a ko. So I said that the only thing making this relevant is if Joyce were to win well. Tick. Now Parker is durable and brave but limited. His fight with Joshua was possibly the first time we saw Joshua be hesitant, he should have been dealing.

parker very nearly got ko’d by whyte like. Joyce broke him down and very impressive ko. That takes him into top 5 and he’s a handful for any of them. Would he take a Wilder haymaker? I don’t think so. Is he fast enough for Usyk? Can’t see it. Fury i Think has far too much for him. Joshua he could beat especially if he’s lost confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I was impressed with Joyce last night. Impressed for the same reason others were. He was not for stopping. He took a few cracks from Parker and completely unphased, which has got to be something that is unnerving for an opponents. He's not a bad boxer technically either and clearly has an engine. He wastes joshua all day, I think he can beat wilder too, but not fury

I’d give AJ three rds tops. If he can’t get Joe out there, Joe breaks him by rd 8 at latest or so.

Wilder has just a KO chance. He won’t even be able to box with Joyce. At least AJ has the boxing ability to box with Joyce…

Fury can box, slug and brawl/spoil with Joyce.

Usyk can box with and move with Joyce..

all super clashes..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah people still talk about the power of AJ and we haven't seen it have we since 2017 bar maybe putting down Pulev in a dull enough fight a few years ago. Wilder is more worrying for Joyce as we have seen how powerful he has only last year.

The problem for Joe is their isn't much upside to fighting him, horrible style for some of the big boys and not a massive draw.

I'd love him to get a big fight next year, but would not be shocked if he gets swerved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Fighting joyce will be high risk and low reward for any of the top boys so he will be avoided, Usyk will likely fight fury and Canelo and retire like he mentioned

The internet isn’t for everyone

Anyone for a bit of Joyce Ruiz?? I’d love to watch that fight.

i reckon top 4 guys won’t want him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Looks like its Wilder v Ruiz next if Wilder gets it done in a few weeks which makes that fight in 2023 even trickier to make.

He may have to settle for fighting a Whyte/Hrgovic/Wallin tier b heavyweight, and while I think those wouldn't be bad fights only Whyte is any sort of money fight unfortunately.

That’s the thing they’re all tied up and don’t want him either. He could end up fighting Ortiz or Martin either. Nothing fights just activity. A title fight looks like it’s 12 months away

frank warren promised him a title fight next year but i cant see it happening unless the belts get dropped by someone retiring, even a mandatory gets pushed away by an undisputed fight

• Registered Users Posts: 38,375 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah I agree. I think Joyce's long accurate jab and high pace makes that fight very intriguing. It could be an all time great fight. I'd love to see it happen.

• Advertisement

i'll cl lit now Joyce is going to have a horrible time trying to get a fight against any of the Big 4

He'll be the next Luis Ortiz avoided at all costs till he gets to old which to be fair is only about two years down the road ,

He doesn't have belt or bring the money for any of the big 4 to risk it

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

This stuff about Joyce's freakish bone density is nuts - makes sense.

Parker hit him with some bombs but he never even flinched.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Big elephant in the room for Joyce is his age. He's 37. Realistically time isn't on his side

Body shots might be more use with him. It’s a very impressive win against a durable guy. Barely a mark on him either. I still think all of the big 4 beat him. How he gets them to

fight is another story. He has at least a year to wait so his next day out is an interesting one

i'd take that with a huge pinch of salt, Sure isn't he just back form a badly broken wrist,

Just a number, really. Analysis and context are important. Fury and Wilder and AJ and Usyk are no spring chickens either. Ortiz must be 40 now. It’s all about performance. He’ll have his big fights between now and late next year.

Post edited by walshb on

If you believe that you believe anything

Frank Warren steam keep posting that he’s using 1000kg slam balls and deadlifting stupid weights

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

He's 3 years older than Fury, Holy Sh1t, never realised he was that old.

he looks very young and comes across young too. His fighting style isn't exactly edge of your seat stuff, but it's interesting to watch this massive unit jabbing someone into next week. is he slow? Or is he fast? I don't know any more. To stop Parker is a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,375 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

People saying Joyce won't bring the money are wrong I think. He's just getting more popular all the time. I can see lots of people demanding he gets a little shot soon and it'll happen and there'll be a big purse. He's got so much going for him, former rugby player and athlete, late into the boxing game, Olympic silver medalist in his thirties and he's a smart, funny guy with a degree in fine arts.

He's just so different to the average boxer that it's refreshing and interests people a lot.

I loved how he had so much respect for Parker before the fight. He wasn't going around saying he'd knock him out or win easily. He said this is a big fight and it's very important. In fairness Parker said exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

37 but only a pro for 6 years so not too many miles on the clock. Could easily still hit the big time for a few years.

Advertisement