Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fury outlined Joyce and Usyk. Says Joyce the tougher task. Explained why. Can’t disagree with him. Although he did say Joe was 6 feet 7…? I still reckon Usyk better chance to win compared to Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He wasn't far off on Joyce's height, he's 6'6". I agree with him that Joyce is the tougher fight for him. Usyk will dance around and try jump in but I think he's just too small and doesn't have the power to bother Fury.

Joyce is big, has a great jab and a granite chin.

I don't think Usyk would have much success against either of them. They are not just bigger men, both are very smart boxers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Im not sure there’s that much evidence to suggest Joyce is all that. Good ko against parker but he’s gone backwards and was never any better than ok. Wafer between him and both Chisora and Whyte. Fury obliterates either of those of course and Parker on the same night. Joyce gets hit a lot, has slow hands and feet even if his output is impressive. I think it’s a good fight but Joe is no better than pretty good. I remain to be convinced on the granite chin as well

I think Usyk could beat Joyce. Yes, be made work very hard for it, but he has all the tools. Most important being feet and stamina. Joyce has beaten nobody.

That’s my point exactly. He’s 37 as well. I’d count him and Joshua a 50-50. He’s undefeated so that’s something. If Fury dozed him out of it then he’d be another who should consider where to go with the sport or not.

• Advertisement

I’d be almost sure we get Fury/Usyk or Fury/Joyce before end April time. Either one is brilliant. Thank you, Fury!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Fury is pretty much undisputed and a talent. I bet he won't even train much for the fight, and beat Usyk the same way as Chisora.

Too bad it's not on TV anymore. Only BT Sport and ESPN in America? Only one Thai channel had it on for free.

If Fury beats Usyk “like he beat Chisora,” I’ll eat my hat, and yours.

a lot depends on the ref if fury gets away with spoiling, clinching and fouling then I think Usyk is gonna be stopped late. If the ref is strict then it’s a super fight and Usyk will really test him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I wonder if these fights are fixed?

• Advertisement

Agreed. The first rd should actually tell if Usyk can win. If he can clearly land shots to Fury's head, then he has chance to win.

Fury's best chance I feel is to have it an up close mauling type fight where he can try use his weight and size to bully and push and foul and whatever to tire and hurt Usyk. If it is kept clean and at mid range, and both can land, I think Usyk's speed of feet and hands can win

Post edited by walshb on

Yea. Usyk needs to have a round like fight 1 with Joshua. If Fury isn’t qllowed

to foul then in the past he’s always had more trouble with shorter guys. But that’s going back a long way now. Even without fouls Usyk will be exhausted if that fight goes a long way. Where Joshua hadn’t the ability to make hay there I think Fury will.

im a Fury fan I’ve always said that. For this fight I dunno who I’m rooting for. Maybe Usyk

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think

I honestly think people forget how much Usyk gets hit , He gets hit with jabs & he takes big shots , Chisora & AJ landed on him plenty of times, Even Bellew was landing on him with ease in there fight ,

He is a fantastic fighter but i strongly believe the 2 AJ wins have propelled Usyk to a level in people minds that he is not at

AJ was scared stiff of following up because he is afraid of gassing he had plenty of chances to step on the gas & he didn't ,

5 or 6 rounds in Fury will work him out & we will see what we saw in round 9 of the las Aj v Usyk fight but it will continue for 2 or 3 rounds & Fury will get him out of there,

For the record i think Wilder beats him & Ruiz would be a great fight

I agree, Usyk does get hit...but this isn't rocket science. It will come down to who can impose their offence the most effectively.

If both can clearly land, then it's almost a counting game. Usyk is busy, fit, aggressive and has great feet. Who lands most and who lands best....?

Of course, all this simplicity of landing and offence could go out the window should Fury be able to get close, smother and bully/hurt Usyk

Biggest key for Usyk is feet and constant movement. Never letting Fury settle into a stalking rhythm. Avoid as best he can the physically demanding inside exchanges.

Key for Fury is to use the height, reach and weight to best effect....he knows what to do

Iv think Usyk will get a shock at just how good Fury is ,

I don't see Usyk causing Fury much trouble offensively ,

Goes back to my point: if Usyk is able to land clearly to Fury’s head… but it could be difficult. Fury is taller than AJ, and fights taller, and has far better upper-body movement, feel and rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You make me laugh sometimes walshb.

It's all ifs and buts when it's a real fight and then when it's a fantasy match up you're adamant about the outcome! 😀

• Advertisement

But this isn’t a fantasy fight…

Why would you use words like if and but for fantasy fights. They’re not ever going to happen. So “if” is not possible.

Simple stuff, really.

being adamant or confident about fantasy fights.. no harm there. Yes, we know you can’t prove. Doesn’t mean your view can’t be very assured.

also, just like with real fights, you can be 50/50 on fantasy fights. Nothing is always very certain. Plenty my dream fantasy fights I’m quite torn/unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Aj didn’t use his height weight or reach advantage at all against Usyk, he kept ducking down bobbing about

The internet isn’t for everyone

I think Usyk needs to attack the body. Get in and out and try to bring fury’s hands down to get a few over the top. The issue is to be quick enough he might not be able to plant his feet so the power won’t be there. I don’t think it will be a clean ko like Canelo on Kahn but heavy work on the inside and exhaustion. Fury about 9 with scorecards close

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Usyk is 2/1 with fury being 1/2 and 20/1 the draw

The internet isn’t for everyone

I think AJ was 3-1 on in fight 1 vs. Usyk

AJ game plan was horrible in the first fight,

He tried to beat Usyk at his own game one of the worst game plans iv ever seen in a title fight,

Fight two round 9 showed exactly what he should have done in both fights,

He & obviously his trainers just had no confidence in his ability to take shots & not gas,, He needed to take 2 shots to land his 1 massive one , AJ just can't put himself in the trench's without coming apart, it's like he is so anxious about taking shots he stiffens up & hold his breath & runs out of gas, Fury will gladly stand in the fire , roll & slip & remain calm to get Usyk out of there, Fury is just a natural fighter there are no nerves about being hit ,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

When you look at both their fights against Del Boy it's hard to make a case for Usyk.

Fury is adaptable so even if he cannot impose his own game plan he won't panic. A lot of sting in his punches now and he's developing a devastating uppercut. Has the stamina to last also.

Height, weight and reach advantage, good movement, great skills, great boxing brain probably means he'll be too much for Usyk.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Fury really is some absolute shite talker....

his latest is that Usyk is now the same size that Foreman was, and he's bigger than Ali, but yet when AJ boxed Usyk, Usyk was a middleweight. Labels Usyk a middleweight, but giving out now if people call Usyk small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Fury - 6' 9"

AJ - 6' 6"

Joyce - 6' 6"

Usyk - 6' 3"

Fury didn't look 3" and 6" taller than Joyce and Usyk respectively in that face off. Granted, both of them were possibly wearing footwear with thicker soles than Fury's ring shoes, but still...

• Advertisement

Yes. I think Fury’s 6 feet 9 may be a bit exaggerated. 6 feet 7/8 max I reckon.

Advertisement