Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

He waited 1000 days for a title shot 🤣 his videos with Kugan on ifltv have been funny over the years but he’s not been the same lately, wether that’s because he’s living abroad or the fact he’s on the decline I don’t know

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I'm one of those who has been saying Whyte was terrible forever. Who was his best win? Derek Chisora? Lucas Browne? Dave Allen? I have never seen anything above European level in him. He Bullied and fouled Joe Parker and almost still got knocked out in the last round. He has never been impressive.

I remember posting here after Joe Joyce's debut fight that Joyce would beat Whyte there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

Not to mention his brother who’s not his brother 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’m not a fan but he’s beaten Chisora twice, Helenius, Wach, Povetkin and Parker. Those are all credible wins. Joyce was having an even enough contest with Parker until the last round or two. I think Joyce is better than whyte too now but people go on like he’s amazing. Don’t see that.

Chisora is/was British level and Whyte went life and death with him, Helenius got sparked in 1 by Wilder, Wach is muck, Povetkin was washed and still knocked him out. Parker was his best win but if you watch it back Parker was in control until Whyte knocked him down with a headbutt/Elbow, then Parker eventually came back after being very passive in the middle rounds to almost have a gassing Whyte out in the last.

Joyce always looked in control, never in trouble and was always coming on strong against Parker.

Whyte has never had been a good boxer, isn't particularly big or strong, has questionable fitness and engine, not much of a punch or chin. Fundamentally he has not much going for him.

Post edited by normanoffside on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Looking at the latest AJ interviews, it looks to me like he is just back for a few easy paydays.

I do not think he will hold a world title again.

In fact he might lose to Franklin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I get your point and I’m not putting him (currently) in top 5. Parker has gone backwards since then too. But no one ridiculed Helenius for getting the shot with wilder etc etc. Whyte is or has been a decent opponent for a champ or contender

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If he loses to Franklin he’s screwed. I expect he wins handily. Franklin is not that good.

Aj should not lose to Franklin

franklin can punch but he’s not a banger/knock out artist

Franklin 6/1

Its a saver if nothing else ?

• Advertisement

Helenius didn't get a shot with Wilder. He fought Wilder in his comeback fight after the Fury trilogy (for no title) and got sparked in 1. I'd bet on Helenius to beat Frankilin, he's a similar enough level to Whyte or Chisroa.

If AJ had choen Wallin now that would have been interesting.

I think Wallin would take him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

A huge issue for Whyte is that his biggest strength was he was big, tough & stubborn ,

He would take punishment & keep pushing forward hoping to catch you with a big shot , AVP 1 changed him, it was a brutal ko & since he has tried to box more & does not want to or simply can't just plough forward like he used to ,

He is brawler with a decent jab who used put lads under pressure for 12 tough rounds or as long as the fight lasted it was a FIGHT,

The dog in him is gone now & his limited boxing skill are much easier to expose ,

Call me nuts but i really question that fight,

Helenius is Wilders long time training partner & friend ,

Was the shot just that good , something didn't feel right with it , , Very very similar to when Wilder fought Malik Scott ,

Boxing social running the story that the undisputed is at Wembley for April 29th

Yes. Warren hopefully delivering on his last Saturday in April guarantee

What do we think the split will be with pundits and commentators and boxers and ex boxers? From all I have seen it’s about 80-20 picking Fury.

Groves picking Usyk and Bellew gone from Fury to 50/50. I think Barry McGuigan is going with Usyk

Well at least we can all bet on Haye picking Usyk ,

I see Daddy Fury spouting off about how Tyson and Fumbles aren’t being given the money they deserve. Tyson is not being offered what he’s worth .. I guess they’ll price themselves ouha the Usyk fight now, and blame everyone else.

Or is it just the gypsy way of haggling for more money for Tyson

saudi arent short of money

it’s hard to believe anything unless it’s signed tbh, allegedly Usyk is happy with his money, without fury is he having a big payday though 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I think Fury/usyk gets announced on the Jake Paul v Fury card, however if not beginning to get worried it won't happen at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

It's all gone very quite on the Fury Usyk fight.

Hopefully it's a good sign they are in heavy negotiations to get a deal.

If this doesn't happen though, pretty depressing for boxing.

Also, announcing an undisputed heavyweight championship fight on Jake Paul v Tommy Fury,....a new low.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

Amazing that they gave Hearn an Joshua just 2 weeks to sign a contract and here are the same people **** about the last 3 months and still don't have a venue or terms agreed

But the difficult part is getting the venue ,

The are trying to get Dubai or Saudi to offer then a venue & money its a totally different issue,

They have Wembley booked for the 29th of April if they do not get an offer from the middle East sorted , But i hear Fury would want 60 /40 if its in England

60/40 still see huge pay for Usyk. If Fury wants more he should be told to fook off.

Yes.

But Fury is bigger name. Usyk has more belts.

anyway, the money is vulgar at 60/40 or 50/50. Fed up to the back teeth of the insane greed from all involved in these events. Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

I saw somebody make a good comment yesterday - The Treaty of Versailles after World War 1, with multiple countries negotiating the lives of millions of people took 7 months to complete.

Two lads who punch each other in the head for 30 mins cannot be made in months.

Circus.

• Advertisement

Both camps know the fight is likely 29th of April there is a venue booked, so i;d imagine in the next 2 weeks it'll be made, No need to make it any sooner ,

No need to throw the towel in & settle for less cash just yet,

Advertisement