Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

squinn2912 wrote: »
    That’s what I thought but also felt that could be healthier for him to be still carrying a slight bit and lose some more over another training camp
    Id tend to agree with you , he'd be silly to want to just look good,
    You have to keep your cardio output up wit muscle mass and it actually take's a long time for the body to cardio output to catch up with added mass , So your a better off doing it at a slower rate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Wilder weighed in at 214lbs. :eek:
    He could make cruiser I'm sure.
    walshb wrote: »
    cruisers are not 6 feet 7....

AJ and Wilder are both big men...height for Wilder and reach for him, with his wow power.

AJ with height, weight and excellent power..

Cruisers are not....

Wilder today saying he will step down to cruiser if he unifies heavy.
    He obviously feels he could make weight, not sure he actually will do it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ah that’s silly talk from him! He couldn’t and wouldn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 55,672 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He could, but it would be torture.....I mean, AJ could as well if we are going down this route, just harder for AJ...

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

I think the fights that will be announced next are.
    AJ v Povektin (August/September)
    Wilder v Breazeale
    Whyte v Pulev 
    Then others I predict will be announced will be 
    Miller v Kownacki (Ring magazine top 10)
    Parker v Jennings ( Mentioned in Media today)
    Kabayel v Dimentrenko (EBU title)

• Advertisement

He could, but it would be torture.....I mean, AJ could as well if we are going down this route, just harder for AJ...
    It's not physically impossible but there's no way guys like that could lose that much weight and still be able to perform.

It's not physically impossible but there's no way guys like that could lose that much weight and still be able to perform.

That's what I am thinking.

Wilder may be "light," but his frame is massive......

He keeps in nick. Ripped.

We're talking 15-25 lbs for him to lose....on a 6 feet 7 frame that is already ripped that is a lot.

We're talking 15-25 lbs for him to lose....on a 6 feet 7 frame that is already ripped that is a lot.
    I think your right, I can,t see Wilder losing enough weight,
    As you said he doesn't carrying huge muscles mass, he is just a big framed guys who is ripped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Someone that size can can easily cut 15bs. Easily. It's just water weight he'd be cutting. It's 7% of his total body weight. MMA fighters of similar size but 25+ lbs.

Someone that size can can easily cut 15bs. Easily. It's just water weight he'd be cutting. It's 7% of his total body weight. MMA fighters of similar size but 25+ lbs.

Nobody said he could not cut the weight.

The man has fought in the high 220s. That's him prepared and ready and ripped to go.....

Asking that a man his height with his upper body frame to shed close on 30 lbs to then be really a force at 200 is risky.

He is already toned and tight when fighting at 220 and above....

Not saying he could not get to 200 and be the best......just saying that it would be a difficult slog to drop that weight and be as good as he was...

• Advertisement

Boxing is not MMA , some times there is a second day weigh in behind closed doors where you can not have gained a certain % of weight since the original ,
    Sheading weight in MMA is only done to give size advantage for grappling  ,Boxer don't cut weight like that as its not such a big deal as they don't grapple,

If a Bantamweight in Jamie McDonnell can cut over 25lbs to make weight like he did last weekend then I don’t see how wilder would have an issue stripping 15lbs or so.
    Most Cruisers would weigh in at 200 and flight at 210-220 the next day. Wilder won’t have done any cutting to weigh in at 214 for his last fight. Obviously he wouldn’t be used to cutting as a heavyweight but with the right advice I don’t see how it would be a problem.

It didn’t go so well for Jamie though. At wilder’s age and having never cut before there isn’t a chance we will see it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It'd certainly be a chance for the current cruisers to shine. A weight drained wilder facing down the prospect of 12rds against usyk or gassiev would be a big mental hurdle.

Sure he could blow them away early if he landed a windmill but against quality seasoned opposition thats a tougher task then some would let on.

Its much easier swing for the rafters from the get go against a bloated audley harrison or stiverne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Guy hasn't beat anyone at heavy yet

Correct, it's only theoretical.
    I only made a passing comment after the Ortiz weigh-in that Wilder could possibly make CW only to be batted down.
    Wilder's comments this week just made me resurrect it as proof that he could.

In reality I don't see it ever happening as there is much bigger fish to fry (pay days) at HW. In the Very unlikely event he gets through AJ and Fury, it's much more likely we see Usyk/Breidis fighting him up at HW.
    Despite it's class; Cruiserweight is not a glamorous or high earning division.

Wilder?

He’s beaten 30 + heavies...

Could say the same for AJ and Fury...

Apart from Wlad, who was past his best, they have beaten nobody, if we are using your post.

Ortiz (whom Wilder beat) is every bit as capable as Parker, whom AJ beat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Wilder?

He’s beaten 30 + heavies...

Could say the same for AJ and Fury...

Apart from Wlad, who was past his best, they have beaten nobody, if we are using your post.

Ortiz (whom Wilder beat) is every bit as capable as Parker, whom AJ beat..

As in, cleaning out the heavyweight division and having to go to cruiser like he said. He has a long way to go

Anybody watch the Fury open air workout? I thought he looked to be moving pretty well but of course they all look good before the fight! Be very interesting to see what he weighs he wasn't on for giving anything away anyhow. He's a dour enough fighter to watch but his personality is fantastic for entertainment.

He's fighting the second best heavyweight in Albania. I can't see how he gets a big fight before next summer

• Advertisement

Well he will likely dictate when he gets a big fight and it will be when he thinks he is ready or when he fancies the payday - hard to know what motivates him. I'd like to think it's the glory.

Well he will likely dictate when he gets a big fight and it will be when he thinks he is ready or when he fancies the payday - hard to know what motivates him. I'd like to think it's the glory.

I'm telling you, he won't make it that far!:pac:

I'm telling you, he won't make it that far!:pac:

What do you see happening?

What do you see happening?

Him going on another bender.

And when asked why, using the "mental health" as an excuse!

Of course, I could be wrong. I just have a feeling that is what we will get with him. He's an absolute flake the past few years.

And folks here can moan and fake outrage at such a suggestion, but I'll be back to say "I told you so."

He knows he can't beat AJ and Wilder....

He did get knocked over by Steve Cunningham 5 years ago and has had 4 fights since. I do think it was a huge achivement beating Wlad but apart from that he's beaten Chisora. 
    I'd love to see him against price or haye but he won't take the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

ACAguy wrote: »
    He did get knocked over by Steve Cunningham 5 years ago and has had 4 fights since. I do think it was a huge achivement beating Wlad but apart from that he's beaten Chisora. 
    I'd love to see him against price or haye but he won't take the risk

Hardly an elite name, but Christian Hammer wasnt a bad win

Hardly an elite name, but Christian Hammer wasnt a bad win

Suppose but his best win is David price to be fair.

Dillian whyte opponent announced tomorrow rumours it’s Jarrell miller

ACAguy wrote: »
    Suppose but his best win is David price to be fair.

Dillian whyte opponent announced tomorrow rumours it’s Jarrell miller

Seemingly it's Ortiz. If so I don't give Whyte much of a chance.

Hard to think who it is but Dillian Whyte liked a post mentioning Miller could give an indication.

Who Pulev fights for the mandatory then is the next question. Ideally Jarell Miller

• Advertisement

Whyte talking a lot about Ortiz. Made the point himself that he was higher in rankings than Ortiz before Ortiz fought Wilder so why fight him after Wilder beat him? Unless there’s a promise that if he gets through that fight then there’s a title fight.
    AJ vs Povetkin, Wilder vs Pulev and Whyte vs Ortiz would make sense but don’t know if they all draw a crowd

Advertisement