Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

ACAguy wrote: »
    Hard to think who it is but Dillian Whyte liked a post mentioning Miller could give an indication.

Who Pulev fights for the mandatory then is the next question. Ideally Jarell Miller

Dan Raphael has announced it is Ortiz.
    July 28th O2 arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think that’s a great fight got a suspicion for Whyte

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I think that’s a great fight got a suspicion for Whyte

I think Ortiz wins it. Whyte is no great shakes.

I think both are a cut below and so it’s a great match up. Ortiz age going to catch up with him down the stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Apparently that might not be it and it could be Parker but I think it will be Ortiz. It most likely won't be pulev now as there has been suspense built up.
    He will beat Ortiz in the late round id say the wilder fight took too much out of him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

There's a turn up. Somehow I'd forgotten about Parker! What do you guys think of that match up? I make Parker the marginal favourite. He will need to be busier but can win on points. Depends for Whyte which Whyte turns up. He's looked good and terrible in his last few fights and the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

So It seems Eddie pulled a fly one putting out rumours about Ortiz yesterday.

Whyte vs Parker on Box Office! Not sure what to make of it. Is Parker recovered and back training after AJ?

Undercard better be good to be paying for that tbh...

Interesting match up. Could he add a couple more heavies? Pulev and Ortiz or something like that? Dave Allen could be on undercard but I think he's dirt. Would Ortiz be recovered from being KO'ed yet? I was wondering if he'd take on such a big fight so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,672 ✭✭✭✭walshb

PPV? Not a fooking chance I'll pay for this....

• Advertisement

It's certainly better and more interesting that Ortiz/Pulev fighting the only man AJ couldn't stop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Non title, non eliminator fight on PPV.
    Both fighters have already shown they can't compete with the top fighters in the division.
    How can you seriously justify this on PPV??

Was the Browne fight Ppv? Much less of a match up. At least this one is tight to call. When Parker fighting AJ was being built the prospect of two young investing title holding heavyweights meeting was very exciting, even though I thought Parker would be easily beaten. Parker did very well in that fight as did Whyte vs AJ. So surely this is a fight well worth seeing! Depends on the undercard too but I’m looking forward to it

Browne fight was not PPV.

Was the Browne fight Ppv? Much less of a match up. At least this one is tight to call. When Parker fighting AJ was being built the prospect of two young investing title holding heavyweights meeting was very exciting, even though I thought Parker would be easily beaten. Parker did very well in that fight as did Whyte vs AJ. So surely this is a fight well worth seeing! Depends on the undercard too but I’m looking forward to it

I don't think you can really say Whyte did well against AJ. He landed one punch in the 2nd but other than that he got totally dominated and then sparked.
    I really don't rate him at all.

If Parker is in decent shape like he was for AJ he should win this easily. My only doubt is that he is getting this at short notice as he was down to fight Jennings in late August.
    Hopefully the odds reflect the biased British fans.

Parker did worse than Whyte vs. AJ.. At least Whyte actually came to fight and win. Parker fought scared the whole fight. Abysmal.

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Whyte's much better than a lot of people give him credit for IMO. Should be favourite for this. 11/10 the best price.

x PyRo wrote: »
    Whyte's much better than a lot of people give him credit for IMO. Should be favourite for this. 11/10 the best price.

Much better, in what sort of sense......for me he's a plodder.

I think he is really ordinary.....a bit of a lump....

In today's poor division he is one of the best...I get this....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Neither are punchers and both have good chins. Should be a distance fight and if it's any way close no doubt Whyte will get the nod. Laughable that it's PPV.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    How can you seriously justify this on PPV??

I always reference this...

#FunTimeFrankie

• Advertisement

He did get knocked over by Steve Cunningham 5 years ago and has had 4 fights since. I do think it was a huge achivement beating Wlad but apart from that he's beaten Chisora. 
    I'd love to see him against price or haye but he won't take the risk

Any heavyweight who wouldn't risk fighting haye can't have any hope really.

walshb wrote: »
    Parker did worse than Whyte vs. AJ.. At least Whyte actually came to fight and win. Parker fought scared the whole fight. Abysmal.
    I don't agree with that. Parker was never really in any way threatened to trouble AJ but at least he wasn't on the verge of a KO in round 1 and then the whole way through the fight. Whyte got one pot shot in that caused a minor disturbance. He's improved a bit since then though which makes this an interesting contest. In a fair world I think Parker on points.

Augeo wrote: »
    He did get knocked over by Steve Cunningham 5 years ago and has had 4 fights since. I do think it was a huge achivement beating Wlad but apart from that he's beaten Chisora. 
    I'd love to see him against price or haye but he won't take the risk

Any heavyweight who wouldn't risk fighting haye can't have any hope really.
    He was signed up twice to fight Haye and Haye pulled out both times… He said he wouldn't fight him based on that. I don't think he'd have any problem fighting him it's just Haye has no credibility now as he's been on the con for so long. Nothing to do with Fury.

I don't agree with that. Parker was never really in any way threatened to trouble AJ but at least he wasn't on the verge of a KO in round 1 and then the whole way through the fight. Whyte got one pot shot in that caused a minor disturbance. He's improved a bit since then though which makes this an interesting contest. In a fair world I think Parker on points.

My point was more to do with effort and commitment. At least Whyte came to give it to AJ. He tried to win. Parker simply came to survive and did next to nothing. For that I am saying that Parker did worse......

At least Whyte gave himself a chance to win, via KO, by trying to win by KO....

Parker did not want to even try and win that fight.

Ok well that is fair enough. You don't have any respect for being able to keep an offensive fighter like AJ at bay for 12 rounds? 
    I do think he gave away his belt so so cheaply which is like what you're saying. Whyte's best shot was to make it a brawl and that's what he did. Could make an argument for Parker that he was trying to take AJ to the deep end of the fight and tire him out.
    Neither, I suppose, covered themselves in glory.

He was signed up twice to fight Haye and Haye pulled out both times… He said he wouldn't fight him based on that. I don't think he'd have any problem fighting him it's just Haye has no credibility now as he's been on the con for so long. Nothing to do with Fury.

It seemed to be phrased like fury wouldn't take the risk. Apologies.

Ok well that is fair enough. You don't have any respect for being able to keep an offensive fighter like AJ at bay for 12 rounds? 
    I do think he gave away his belt so so cheaply which is like what you're saying. Whyte's best shot was to make it a brawl and that's what he did. Could make an argument for Parker that he was trying to take AJ to the deep end of the fight and tire him out.

He stunk the joint out IMO.....

Nothing to do with respect or lack thereof.. I saw what I saw, and for me Whyte's showing deserves more kudos. It's that simple.

The below argument could be made, if you were desperate.

"Could make an argument for Parker that he was trying to take AJ to the deep end of the fight and tire him out."

It's effectively an eliminator just not official yet if you look at the rankings.
    Aj will fight Povektin next and Wilder will fight Brezeale then Aj will fight Wilder and then the whyte/parker winner will be next in line.
    They should probably get Jarrell Miller against Pulev for IBf mandatory as there is nobody worth mentioning left in rankings after above names.
    PPV as it's the big fight. Kell brook will be on the card. A world title fight and probably Chisora Takam. Don't be surprised if James Degale and Jose Uzcategui.
    Other Potentials for the card for big fights Luke Campbell v Yvan Mendy (final eliminator)
    Kal Yafai defending title as he's hearns only other world champ at the moment even though he defended title last week.

walshb wrote: »

He stunk the joint out IMO.....

Nothing to do with respect or lack thereof.. I saw what I saw, and for me Whyte's showing deserves more kudos. It's that simple.

The below argument could be made, if you were desperate.

"Could make an argument for Parker that he was trying to take AJ to the deep end of the fight and tire him out."

Hahahaaaaaaa!! I could read your posts all day only for the charm!! He looked at how other guys fought AJ and whytes wild swinging didn’t work, standing bewildered like Martin was worse so then takam did something else and had limited success. My criticism of Parker is that he never went for it but the tactics did keep him in the fight. No way to lose a belt though I’ll agree with that

• Advertisement

Fury weighed in at 19st 10lbs.
    Still loads of fat around the midriff as suspected and 2 stone above ideal fighting weight.

Seferi looked a trim 15 stone

Advertisement