Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

aj is not all hype, yes there was a massive campaign to promote him using the sky platform and they did a fantastic job.

this casual fan bollo€ks is a way for some people to be condescending to others by insinuating their boxing knowledge is far superior, those people always remind me of spencer fearon, the man that claims to know it all but he knows as much as google tells him lol- fearon said if AJ doesnt spark out franklin within 6 rounds he should retire and he is meant to be friends with the man.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 55,640 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AJ saying he’ll be back in 12 weeks. It has to be Whyte, and PPV. Hopefully end year then it’s either Wilder or Joyce or greedy belly!

although, maybe they need to run the Parker fight again!!!!🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Bound to be yea. I’m happy enough with that fight. For him I don’t think he needs to just rush into Fury, Wilder or Joyce. A big HW and then big fight for a belt November or so. If he takes risks and fights like a killer then I see that to be his route to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

AJ will never fight Wilder ,

Not a hope in hell a lad who is afraid of taking a shot fights Wilder it will NEVER happen

That fight is high risk and low reward so I agree but he might take the fury one to cash out but that depends of fury will bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

At the moment it's very hard to think that AJ is not long past his best. I don't think he's been the same since the first Ruiz fight. He looked unstoppable before that, but he's a bit reluctant to commit now, and he's not going to outbox either of the current champions.

I think he might be well advised to retire soon, he's had some great nights, made millions and been a world champion. There's a lot to be said hanging them up now given that he must be very secure financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Does anyone know how many fights AJ is contractually obliged to fight in? His behaviour/demeanor after the fight on Saturday struck me as someone who is finding he has to fight on when his heart isn't really in it anymore.

Yea there;s not anger or spite in him at the moment. Someone needs to light a fire under him and then he might have a chance of rediscovering his old form.

I honestly think (and I did allude to it) that he played it a bit safe to ensure of a win. He’s past his best, same as Wilder, and likely Usyk and Fury.

How do say Wilder,Fury, Usyk are past there best , what evidence do you have of that ?

Wilder first round knockout last time out, Fury whopped Whyte & Usyk took AJ apart ?

AJ looks petrified of getting hit, the other 3 looked great in there last outings

• Advertisement

The killer instinct looks like its gone alight,

There was noting fluid or aggrieves about him the weekend & that against probably the easiest fight he will get now, Unless he gets Whyte

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

According to Frank Warren, ideal time for the Saudi's to put on a fight is November / December.

I think you'll get AJ vs Whyte in the summer, Usyk will fight Dubois, and then Fury will fight Usyk or AJ in Saudi in the winter for mega money.

Wilder is absolutely past his best. He’s 37 now or so. And a first rd KO in his last fight, so what?! Fury took serious miles off his clock

I’d argue Fury is also past his best, and Usyk.

Still very capable, but these lads are all nearing end their careers, and mid 30s now. Surely you can see this?

I am not saying that they are washed up, just past their best!

But what leads you to belive this other than age ?

Wilder in the 3rd Fury fight looked like the best Wilder we have seen to date, then his next fight he got a 1st round KO ,

Fury has looked his best under Sugar Hill & at 34 is no where near past it ,

Usyk literally only get used to HW his just hitting his groove,

They are HW in there 30's shouldn't be a issue yet ,Lewis was brilliant in his mid 30's as was Holyfield ,its 20 years on form then no reason why these guys can't be better ,

Not just age. I think all are heading South. That bit slower and that bit less explosive. They all have fair few miles, and some tough miles on the clock.

Ye but where did you notice this ? In there last outings ?

I am not saying they are shot to bits. Just not at peak. Declining. Yes, from watching them through the years I believe all are not at their best.

Not so sure about this past their best talk. Sure, at 35 there are things you can’t do that you did at 25 but you learn your craft and know your body much better. You learn how to take or avoid a shot, how to pace and plan and get your own shots off. Conserve energy and be patient. So while they all likely need more minding they, I think, are all at their most effective. MAybe a question mark over Wilder as it’s hard to see if Fury has effected him mentally for another fight but Fury and Usyk I think are about at their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Wilder looked far far better in the first fury fight.

Jaysus he was puffing and blowing after 5rds in the 3rd fight. The only thing keeping him upright was heart and determination.

That was down to Fury in the first fight , he was a mess it should have been a gimme,

He had Fury down twice in the 3rd fight both times not many men would have got up

• Advertisement

he was not used to being punched by a 6ft 9 19st gypsy

WBA have ordered usyk to fight dubois and set 30 days to do a deal or it will go to purse bids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

3rds does not a good performance make. And that's all wilder had in the 3rd fight imo.

Granted he looked middlen in the first fight because fury didn't back him up but it was still a better competitive performance by a long way than the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Fury has only started looking top level since he went with sugarhill, best yet to come from him if he needs it to beat the rest.

fury is on holiday according to frank warren

AJ talking about December now for his next bout..🤔

Joke. Better be either Wilder or Fury for that layoff

That’s too long, he will likely regress even more if he rests for that long

surely Aj and his camp have to fancy the Whyte fight for a win and a chance to clear any ring rust

• Advertisement

Far too long if he waits until December he might as well call it his farewell bout. He should be screaming at guys for July, surely he will fight again in the summer.

Advertisement