Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,640 ✭✭✭✭walshb

According to AJ, “it’s all part of the bigger picture!” 🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That’s look over there and then do a runner talk that. What do you think is actually going on in his head? For me, he’s just spent now. I was never a fan but I think it’s an awful pity of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I think this is a mistake, even if it’s fury or wilder he would need a fight before hand to be ready and from his message it doesn’t sound like it’s an injury but who knows if it’s even AJ posting

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

I thought he said 3 months last week? I’m nearly sure that’s what I read.

He did. He said back again in 12 weeks when interviewed after the Franklin fight

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭blade1

He's some spoofer that Joshua!

Makes no sense at all surely he could take on some knock over even if the other top 3 / belt holders are busy with real fights and then he could go again in December.

There may be some niggling injury that needs rest/surgery. Just waiting around 8 months to fight again seems silly, although these lads regularly fight irregularly!!

look at Usyk. Going on 8 months now since he last fought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Got to be an injury with Joshua sadly.

Joyce v Zhang this weekend looks a cracker.

Usyk running scared sure haha!

Yea that’ll be a great scrap Id think Joyce will have far too much output though Zhang reminds me of Ustinov. Very limited.

• Advertisement

Ruiz 🤷‍♂️

Some opportunity for Ruiz. If Fury was to be off colour it’s not that safe a fight.

Fury-Ruiz style wise is an intriguing fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think Fury would be much too big for Ruiz. Good fight for Andy though, he's been very quiet the last few years, only two fights since losing to Joshua.

Aw likely. Two solid wins though. I think he’s the sorta boy who would do better with a big shot like that. But no legislating for what kinda binge he might go on either!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Talk of a heavyweight tournament taking place in Saudi in December.

AJ v Wilder

Fury v Usyk

Winner to take place back in Saudi a few months later

I'd rather see;

Usyk vs. Wilder

Fury vs. AJ

No way should either AJ or Wilder be guaranteed a spot in the 'final'.

If they overcome Fury or Usyk, fair enough, they'll have deserved it.

That’s an excellent point. Totally agree. Joshua and Wilder is a fight I really want to see though. Even if both were to lose the mentioned fights the third place play off would be epic too.

Screw all this final and semi final and 3rd place playoff, and let the four of them fight each other. Still 4 matches out of 6 to take place.

Here, whatever gets it done! If it were locked into a tournament type then then it happens. Couldn’t trust it not to breakdown after semi final stages

• Advertisement

It’s all nonsense drummed up since Aj posted his message, everyone is assuming it’s a big fight for him to wait so long

chances of fury fighting Usyk are fair but giving wilder a chance at all the belts with his hammer shot would be crazy

AJ still hasn't elaborated on why his summer fight that he promised doesn't look like happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

That tournament would be great and seeding Fury and Usyk is a good idea too.

A drawback is that it could lead us into Fury Wilder IV and I’m not dying about watching that. Though the fights so far have brought serious drama. In terms of timeframe I would worry a bit like if it were announced tomorrow then it wouldn’t be happening until the autumn and that leaves how long since Usyk fought? Ages. You’d get turned off waiting around for proper fights while they mess around with tune ups and mismatches.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How is Dubois ahead of Joyce for any big fight? It's starting to look to me like Usyk and Fury want no part of Joyce.

Joyce pummeled Dubois and nobody is offering him a big fight.

It’s the order of the belts/ organisations it’s not saying dubois is better than joyce on a ranking scale

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's as corrupt as a former FAI CEO.

Joyce isn't even ranked by the WBC, IBF or WBA.

His defeat of Dubois was in a WBC sanctioned event. He's held titles in both the WBC and WBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Id imagine Joyce will be avoided by everyone major until he’s ready for retirement the same way Zhang was. He’s too much of a wild card for any of the bigger names, have to respect a young Dubois for jumping in with him and giving it everything.

It was wbc silver and wbo international titles for that fight, he obviously continued down the wbc route

Usyk will be fighting joyce after dubois going by the list from memory unless there’s an Usyk v fury for undisputed thrown in or Usyk drops the belt

• Advertisement

I’m not sure if I subscribe to this idea that Joyce is some kind of great. I think Jennings was his first decent opponent and that was just 10 fights in. Dubois at 12, still not title contender victory and he wasnt the favourite, and then Parker, his best win/most impressive performance. That, for him, unfortunately happened when Joshua Usyk was tied down and then the undisputed being mooted - he’s not a better fight than that. When Whyte fought Parker he should have had him finished in about 5 rounds while Joyce took some big hits from Parker but still went through him and got the KO. Whyte wasn’t really any better after the Parker victory on the world title scene so why is Joyce? I do agree he’s somewhere in the top 5 or 6 but avoided? That reminds me a bit of the silly talk about Whyte spending 900 days as number 1 contender albeit Joyce hasn’t been KO’d.

Advertisement