Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Hmm would you expect him to weigh in under 18 st? If you can imagine that he was 27st only a matter of months ago then this is an incredible turnaround. My hope is that it's been done healthily. I think it has. I think it will take him at least 2 camps to look even as trim as he used to look. He might not look well at all during this fight either. I'm committing to giving him this and an autumn fight before I start to decide, it will not be easy to refrain from giving opinion now and again though!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,672 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fury's heaviest ever....he has been above 260 for fights. Above 270 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Hmm would you expect him to weigh in under 18 st?

No I definitely didn't expect him to be under 18.
    I have been taking all his weight loss talk with a pinch of salt tbh. There was talk of him being under 19 stone months ago which was obviously untrue.

I'd say he is just about in good enough shape at the moment to start a proper training camp with the view to getting the last 2st off.
    TBF this is no more than a training fight anyway.

So what is that 276 if my working out is correct? God that's heavy. Round the 260 mark I'm sure would be a good weight for him. He will be slow this fight. It's hard being patient.

Fury predicted he would be above 19...

• Advertisement

He did yea. It was obvious to the world that he would be. his weight isn't a shock, just interesting.

He did yea. It was obvious to the world that he would be. his weight isn't a shock, just interesting.

Indeed. Anyone expecting him to be close to 250 was way off. I expected him at least 15-25 lbs heavier than his Wlad fight. He's 30 + lbs heavier....

Absolutely. As if he was going to be close to that the man’s body totally transformed! For his next fight, if it happens, he will likely be 15 above that weight

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fury has done this correctly in my veiw ,
    If he lost to much weight in such a short time his cardio out put would be greatly effected , His oxygen levelsbin his blood would be effected

It boxing noting to do with how you look its about preformance ,

He said he wanted possibly 4 fights this year , 3 defo and the 4th if all 3 go to plan and this is why to get down to proper shape but do so in a manner that doesnt effect his cardio ,

Its actully great to see he has the right people who have advised him correctly on this ,

There would have been huge pressure for him to look fitting fit afyer 2 years out but losing the weight that quick wouldnt not help him so fair play to his team for making sure its done correctly

We’ll see how “correctly” they’ve done it after his fights this year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

9/1 for fury to win in the 1st round

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

walshb wrote: »
    Parker did worse than Whyte vs. AJ.. At least Whyte actually came to fight and win. Parker fought scared the whole fight. Abysmal.

Considering he bigged up his punch resistance, you have to ask why he didn't. As for Whyte doing better, Joshua was sloppy against Whyte the first time.If they fought again, i'd be confident Joshua would win inside three or four rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

For a serious fight against a dangerous opponent, the weight Fury is at would be simply unnaceptable and unprofessional.
    However considering the point in time where he's at, the stage of his comeback he's at, there's nothing really wrong with 276.

I'd hope to see him 25-30 lbs lighter in the next 3 months if he takes things seriously enough.

I agree with you it’s just about safe looking to let him box at that weight. If he was down another stone for next fight I think that’s pretty decent. As long as he comes through tonight that is. The fight isn’t won yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

This Fury fight is a joke, like theyve put it together for Comic Relief. Surely they could have put him in with a British level heavyweight. Even a fat Fury should be able to put him away, but with a bit more credibility. The jokey gestures from both dont help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Looks like there's a better fight going on in the crowd at ringside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Looks like there's a better fight going on in the crowd at ringside.

Fury stops fighting to watch the crowd. Seferi lets him watch it, then taps his glove when done. Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Where is the security ?

Total circus tonight with what looks like an agreed pull out after 4 rounds. Funny, 4th rd stoppage was my tip.
    Fury will fight another can in August and then someone at British level in November/December. That’s the plan, not much point in complaining.

Total circus tonight with what looks like an agreed pull out after 4 rounds. Funny, 4th rd stoppage was my tip.
    Fury will fight another can in August and then someone at British level in November/December. That’s the plan, not much point in complaining.

Ye this was always going to be the way, we wont see a live oppenent for Tyson untill next year

• Advertisement

Ye this was always going to be the way, we wont see a live oppenent for Tyson untill next year

So why is he saying world title fight by end of year?

I think he means Manuel Charr and his 'regular' WBA title.

I think he means Manuel Charr and his 'regular' WBA title.

Was thinking the same...

So yes, no live opponent this year then......

Was just about to chip in with that point. Wilder and AJ won’t meet each other until next year as they will fight AP & DB respectively then mess about and possibly fight next spring/summer or drag it out another while. Fury will peel another lemon in August and then fight someone possibly at HW like Charr. Bit of talk about Price - no chance and bellew - bitbof a chance if charr doesn’t work out. I think that’s decent progress for him though he can’t rush this you only get one go at a come back.

Do you not understand the game ?
    Its for attention keeping himself in the public eye, If he said I'm fighting 3 more bums that are gimmie fights people wouldn't be interested till them fights are done, 
    Same reason  Aj saying he wants Wilder when he clearly doesn't yet, it's all about keeping the public interested ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Knocked it off after the 1st round.

What a circus

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

It was always going to be that way will be the same in august also. Charr fights for WBAs on 29th September against Qquendo who has not won a fight in 4 years.
    I don't see fury bellew happening due to hearn/warren. He won't be tested until I would say next summer. By then Aj will probably have fought Povektin/Wilder/Whyte

Of course it will. If Whyte gets past Parker then he might get a shot at Wilder while AJ will take on someone like Millar presuming he beats Povetkin. Then it will be AJ vs Whyte with a belt or more messing around with him and Wilder. By then the landscape could well have changed a bit. Joyce needs to soon be making his move on European level and Daniel Dubois will surely be moving up in class. Hughie will need to fight an eliminator as well and it would be interesting to see how he gets on. It wasn't a great fight but I think he beat Parker. Where Tyson fits into all of this is hard to know. But he's in no rush and will be able to claim lineal status for another while, this actually suits AJ or Wilder in building that as a champion of champions fight.

Wilder’s team are saying they have accepted Eddie Hearn’s offer to fight AJ in the UK next. I still don’t think it will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Wilder is making me a big fan with how he's playing this. Clearly the one who wants the fight and making every move to back Hearn/Joshua into a corner.

Advertisement