Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’m not sure what’s up with him. That Usyk fight was some opportunity for him. Could have been made. Here we are nearly 6 months on and nothing set up. Though it was similar for the second and third Wilder fights they were about 18 months apart and I can’t really remember why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've grown disinterested in Fury,AJ,Wilder, they're wafflers.

I want to see Usyk vs Ruiz.

Or Usyk vs Dubois.

Basically Usyk vs anyone outside of the wafflers trio.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

This could be a super era for Heavyweight boxing if these guys would actually fight each other.

Painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Eddie Hearn running down Zhang in an interview I see.

Then he should have no problem with AJ fighting him then ?

• Advertisement

What did Eddie say about Zhang? It’s a wonder he didn’t take him on up until now!

Yea the top 10 dont fight one another nearly enough never mind the top 5. They all seem to crowd around the likes of Eric Molina or Gerald Washington. Easy touches.

Eddie Hearn on Joe Joyce: “If you can’t beat Zhilei Zhang, you have absolutely no chance to win a world title… Reality is Joyce is not an elite heavyweight. ‘Oh he’d steamroll Anthony Joshua.’ The speed of AJ compared to Zhang - AJ would ping him absolutely ever

• Registered Users Posts: 38,390 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hearn talks some amount of tosh but it's all about getting the biggest purses. He might be trying to set up an AJ Vs Joyce fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

If Fury is putting obstacles up for that tournament then just exclude him.

Usyk, Wilder, AJ and then one of Zhang / Ruiz / Joyce.

Or Ruiz vs Zhang in the summer to decide that last spot.

I’d like to see AJ vs Zhang now. That would be a good test for AJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

who said he is putting obstacles up for the rumoured tournament

eddie hearn said it is something they are looking into and would like to do it, no negotiations have taken place.

george warren said it is something they would be interested in but as of yet no discussions have taken place and fury has had no offers from anyone.

Hearn also said in an interview that maybe aj posted the thing about not fighting until december to get people talking, he said they will be discussing a big fight and part of that contract may include not allowing him to fight but if not they would love to fight again in july.

This tournament is only a rumour likely started by hearn or another promoter and they let simon jordan start it so they can walk away like nothing happened if it goes pear shaped, the chances of this happening are very slim, you have four fighters all with egos wanting maximum money and they will argue over ring walks and corners etc, it is a pipe dream but eddie and the other promoters would get a big slice of cash

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

I think thats doing Zhang a bit of a disservice but yea he’s a big crude lump that has no tank but he hits very hard. Calling Joyce an elite heavyweight on the strength of him beating Parker and Dubois is foolhardy. Joshua with a bit of grit would beat Joyce for me in a difficult fight.

Joshua could surely do as effective, if not more effective a number on Joyce than Zhang. Zhang was tired throughout, and fought in spurts. Had he been fitter he gets Joe out in 3 rds tops. AJ is fitter. Punches as hard and as clean as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what joyce had done up to the weekend was enough to put him in the top 5 or 6, which speaks more about the dearth of real heavyweight talent than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

even with the Saudi money could they keep all those egos happy?

And also if somehow this was signed off that would mean these 4 would not fight until December which is ugh.

What would we be left with until then ? Joyce, Zhang and Hrgovic? Good fights but still.

Joe is not cynical enough to swerve the rematch for better or worse. He could have sat on his ranking and avoided Zhang but he wanted to fight so while it might make sense to swerve the rematch he's just not built like that. To sound for his own good is Joe.

I dunno I think he would be tough work for Joshua but I think Joshua would win. Possibly on points.

But his lack of speed, lack of defense and lack of explosiveness is going to really hurt him. I’m just not seeing how he stylistically is a tough fight for AJ.

Will he even be as physically strong in the clinch, for example. I’d see AJ teeing off on him with ease. At least he should be able to.

Styles make fights. Guys like Franklin and Usyk are much harder to hit than Joyce. Joshua would have a field day with Joyce and unlike Zhang would not tire towards the end. I think people are forgetting that Joshua is really good and he won plenty of rounds v Usyk. He's still a top 5 heavyweight in the world ffs.

Exactly. We all know AJ is far from the complete package, but I do think stylistically he’s real bad news for a sitting duck like Joyce. Punching wise in terms of cleanness, mechanics and power, he gets right through to Joe effortlessly. Plus, Joe being so uptight and stiff, and the exact height where AJ can deliver his best power…

I think one best fights to be made is Fury/Zhang. Two big men, and Zhang can punch. Zhang says Fury has a weak chin and won’t take what Joe took. Fury’s chin isn’t that good, but he has good stamina and can recover.

Folks pointing to Wilder, who landed barely a handful of real power shots on Fury, isn’t a true barometer for what Zhang could do. But he’d want to do it early, because if he cannot, he tires and Fury mauls him.

Well I think Joyce is better than Saturday night showed, particularly against an orthodox boxer. So he would get his own jab and volume going better. Joshua would need to move well from side to side and throw but I think he is strong enough to push Joyce back and powerful enough to hurt him, somewhere. I dont think Joshua would like those hooks at all. Joyce gets through enough to keep him honest but I thinkJoshua would have enough to win a tight enough fight. Not sure about a KO.

I think Fury has wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much movement for Zhang. He can mix stances as well and Zhang wouldn’t have nearly the speed for him. Meanwhile he would actually aim his punches to get through the guard better and has the handspeed to keep Zhang guessing. KO, maybe on cuts as well or a massive points shut out win. Zhang may well be stopped on his stool though exhaustion. No problem for Fury.

• Advertisement

I’d make Fury a very warm favorite v Zhang. I just think the first few rds would be interesting, from a punchers’ chance.

I think Fury has a good look during Round 1 and negates Zhang, clipping him towards the end of the round. In 2 Zhang comes out like a bull and might be able to push Fury back, similar to Whyte’s tactics. Fury complains to the referee. By the end of Round 2 Zhang will have slowed already. In Round 3 Fury works the jab a lot and Zhang lunges around missing by some distance, beaten to the punch. Round 4 Fury hits him with beef, Zhang takes a few big punches and cuts/swelling an issue. If Zhang makes it through the 4th then Fury KOs him in 5 as he is too slow to get out of the way and has no energy to move forward. Other than that Referee steps in when Zhang stops defending himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,390 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

People are talking about AJ like it's five years ago. He's not the same fighter, not even close. He's a shadow of that guy.

He doesn't have a chin anymore and he's afraid to get heavily involved because of it.

He doesn’t have to get heavily “involved.” He has enough height, reach and length to throw hard accurate shots at the mummy to either stop him or beat him up all night.

and even knowing that AJ is not the same fighter he was 5 years ago doesn’t lessen his chances here hugely. 5 years ago I’d have been 90 percent confident. I’d be 70 percent now.

I think id be at about 60-70% on Joshua winning that contest. Joyce throws enough to bother him and he doesn’t stop. He’d have fought on until now with Zhang even if the thing was going against him.

Yes, he'd have fought on, but as I said, Zhang was taking breathers and was working sporadically. AJ would be fitter no doubt.

Simple: A fitter Zang trying harder and that fight is over in 3-4 rds on Saturday.

Looking at Zhang after 2 rds he seemed to be showing cardio issues

That’s true but he may not hit that hard, be that committed and importantly he’s not a southpaw. I think a bit too much has been made of that but it does make a difference.

I wonder what Zhang would have been like 5 or 6 years ago against the top in the division. My feeling is much the same

in round one of the joyce fight the pawing he was doing was a strange tactic for me

• Advertisement

No joyce tapping his hand constantly it was a strange move for me against a southpaw, Zhang was finding his range

maybe joyce just lacks movement and that was his only option

Advertisement