Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wasn't the Povetkin fight supposed to be announced by now, i think that was just a tactic by Hearn to finally get the Wilder fight made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Yeah i actually think Wilder wants the fight

I think its because he knows he is vulnerable and may lose the opportunity if he loses to someone in the meantime

The time to make the fight is now. Just look at the traffic that Wilders tweet got .

This 'fall' time will be peak interest in that fight and the biggest heavyweight fight in close to 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Yeah i actually think Wilder wants the fight

I think its because he knows he is vulnerable and may lose the opportunity if he loses to someone in the meantime

The time to make the fight is now. Just look at the traffic that Wilders tweet got .

This 'fall' time will be peak interest in that fight and the biggest heavyweight fight in close to 20 years

Yes, it's time to cash in and go home for Wilder or beat AJ and become a superstar.

He definitely wants the fight.

Hearn is now saying that contract has been sent to Wilder.
    It might actually be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Haye FINALLY retired

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Yes, it's time to cash in and go home for Wilder or beat AJ and become a superstar.

He definitely wants the fight.

Hearn is now saying that contract has been sent to Wilder.
    It might actually be happening.

Where did Hearn say he sent the contract ? Dont want to get the hopes up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,656 ✭✭✭✭walshb

May sound strange but I almost want to see Povetkin-AJ first...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    May sound strange but I almost want to see Povetkin-AJ first...
    Why ? Its just another gimme fight for AJ,
    AJ v Wilder are the top two guys so lets see who's the top man, 
    To many times big fights are put off and never happen or happen when one of the fighters is on a down turn,
    Get them in there now while both are top of the world and give the fans what they want,

To many times big fights are put off and never happen or happen when one of the fighters is on a down turn,
    Get them in there now while both are top of the world and give the fans what they want,

Why.....

I think it may make for a better fight.....aesthetically.

But ye, get them in there soon.....these big HW fights need to me made now...

Why.....

I think it may make for a better fight.....aesthetically.

But ye, get them in there soon.....these big HW fights need to me made now...
    Why wouldn't you want to see number 1 agents number 2, Champion v Champion ,
    Povetkin is half the man he used to be,
    I don't know weather your on a wind up half the time.,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Where did Hearn say he sent the contract ? Dont want to get the hopes up

Sky sports news apparently.

• Advertisement

Did you bother to even read my post?

Where did I say that I didn't want to see AJ-Wilder?

No wind up, but you seem to be on the go for disagreement for the sake of it..

Love to see Wilder v.s AJ.....

But personally I think AJ-Povetkin makes for a better fight. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think they're similar enough fights. Don't expect an awful lot of defense with plenty of big hitting. I don't see Povetkin lasting all that long with AJ. Price had him almost done for and Price is well washed up, God love him. Wilder will likely attempt a bore-fest for a few rounds and then throw some bombs, if AJ hasn't already got him out of there. 
    As much as I HATE to say it I don't think either will be a match for him.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I think they're similar enough fights. Don't expect an awful lot of defense with plenty of big hitting. I don't see Povetkin lasting all that long with AJ. Price had him almost done for and Price is well washed up, God love him. Wilder will likely attempt a bore-fest for a few rounds and then throw some bombs, if AJ hasn't already got him out of there. 

Price had Povetkin almost done for?

Are you referring to that one good shot that landed clean when Povetkin was slightly moving backwards? Maybe I need to re-watch the fight, but I can't recall Price having real sustained success, or troubling Povetkin on a consistent basis in that fight.

Had Price landed that shot on anyone almost the same reaction would have occurred. He stunned AP for a moment. That was all I took from it.

Yea and had that round gone on for another 20 seconds or so every chance Price would have been able to finish him as he was momentarily stunned. I feel an argument coming on here but the point is that Price certainly got to him. I'd like to see the Povetkin fight being made but Povetkin's age is becoming more and more of a factor and the fact that he's spent a lot of his career roided up and won't be able to do that in a fight with AJ points to an obvious enough outcome.

Yea and had that round gone on for another 20 seconds or so every chance Price would have been able to finish him as he was momentarily stunned. I feel an argument coming on here but the point is that Price certainly got to him. I'd like to see the Povetkin fight being made but Povetkin's age is becoming more and more of a factor and the fact that he's spent a lot of his career roided up and won't be able to do that in a fight with AJ points to an obvious enough outcome.

No argument.....you listed one punch/incident. I just don't see how that can be construed as in any way a consistent type troubling, which you seem to be suggesting. It's boxing, where many many moments arise. This was just one very short moment in the fight. Price could have done that to anyone....

Yes, strictly speaking Price had him almost done for.....in that one single moment.....No disagreement there...

Similar to Bruno in 1989 having Tyson almost done for in rd 1 with that left hook. A short brief instant

Or Dillian Whyte having AJ almost done for in their fight when he landed that peach of a counter left hook...

For the record I think AJ takes AP out, but I think it would be a great fight while it lasts. Povetkin comes to fight and so does AJ. Stylistically it appeals more to me than Wilder-AJ.

No argument.....you listed one punch/incident. I just don't see how that can be construed as in any way a consistent type troubling, which you seem to be suggesting. It's boxing, where many many moments arise. This was just one very short moment in the fight. Price could have done that to anyone....

Yes, strictly speaking Price had him almost done for.....in that one single moment.....No disagreement there...

Similar to Bruno in 1989 having Tyson almost done for in rd 1 with that left hook. A short brief instant

Or Dillian Whyte having AJ almost done for in their fight when he landed that peach of a counter left hook...

For the record I think AJ takes AP out, but I think it would be a great fight while it lasts. Povetkin comes to fight and so does AJ. Stylistically it appeals more to me than Wilder-AJ.
    That is fair enough but neither Tyson nor AJ had to take a count over that or looked in as much genuine trouble. I will accept that it was a fleeting moment and Povetkin would likely have recovered even were there another 20 seconds. At the beginning of the next round Price didn't look to really fancy going for it. He did ok and went down on his shield which does offer him some kind of redemption but he just never fancied it enough, nor had the confidence required. A very small step up from Audley. 
    I'm looking forward to the Wilder fight more because he does have a genuine chance of winning. He could be Ko'ed in the first round but there is doubt.

Did you bother to even read my post?

Where did I say that I didn't want to see AJ-Wilder?

No wind up, but you seem to be on the go for disagreement for the sake of it..

Love to see Wilder v.s AJ.....

But personally I think AJ-Povetkin makes for a better fight. That's all.
    I did read your post you said it wold be aesthetically a better fight ,

How do you think a fight will look better  (aesthetically ) between Povetin at 39 year old whos only 6'2 , short reach, and looked like carbage since he got popped,  nearly got ko'd by Price for god sake,

Than 2 undefeated world champions , both in there prime , 6'6 and 6'7 and both with nearly identical reach,

You either say stuff to be different or are just a bit mad ,

Price had Povetkin almost done for?

Are you referring to that one good shot that landed clean when Povetkin was slightly moving backwards? Maybe I need to re-watch the fight, but I can't recall Price having real sustained success, or troubling Povetkin on a consistent basis in that fight.

Had Price landed that shot on anyone almost the same reaction would have occurred. He stunned AP for a moment. That was all I took from it.
    Povetkin was done but got saved by the rope and the ref , If the ref had not of giving him a standing count Price would have stopped him right there,

That is fair enough but neither Tyson nor AJ had to take a count over that or looked in as much genuine trouble. I will accept that it was a fleeting moment and Povetkin would likely have recovered even were there another 20 seconds. At the beginning of the next round Price didn't look to really fancy going for it. He did ok and went down on his shield which does offer him some kind of redemption but he just never fancied it enough, nor had the confidence required. A very small step up from Audley. 
    I'm looking forward to the Wilder fight more because he does have a genuine chance of winning. He could be Ko'ed in the first round but there is doubt.

You really think from what you saw that AP was in clearly more trouble from the shot he took compared to AJ and Tyson, bearing in mind the mechanics of all three incidents? For me all three were stunned. It's that simple.

I agree that Wilder has a better chance of beating AJ than AP.

I am picking Wilder by KO within 3 in that one.

Your mention Bruno and Whyte either fight was even close to what Price did, they both landed decent shots but Price had Povetkin all over the shop , the ropes first and then the ref stepping in saved him ,
    If the ref hadn't jumped in his way and gave Povetkin a standing count he was a finished

• Advertisement

You really think from what you saw that AP was in clearly more trouble from the shot he took compared to AJ and Tyson, bearing in mind the mechanics of all three incidents? For me all three were stunned. It's that simple.

I agree that Wilder has a better chance of beating than AP.

I am picking Wilder by KO within 3 in that one.
    I do yea. When all three won anyway it's difficult and somewhat pointless to grade the amount of trouble they were in though.
    I don't get where that happens. I really hope that inside 12 months time you're the one telling me I told you so!
    I was on a jog last night and a thought struck me. If Whyte were to get a fight with Wilder next would the British public support him or Wilder? I liked Whyte but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to see him knocked out again. Don't think Parker will KO him but I think he will beat him.

Your mention Bruno and Whyte either fight was even close to what Price did, they both landed decent shots but Price had Povetkin all over the shop , the ropes first and then the ref stepping in saved him ,
    If the ref hadn't jumped in his way and gave Povetkin a standing count he was a finished

Watch the shot again. The mechanics. It's all in the detail. Lovely clean shot as AP was kind of moving backwards and kind of off balance....

You cannot know AP was finished had the ref not given a count.

AJ vs. Whyte was cleanly rocked/wobbled and there for the taking. He recovered well, but he was every bit as stunned as AP.

Tyson back in 1989 was also stunned, but not to the same degree as AJ was...

Anyway, no way to prove any of this....so it's kind of pointless.

Watch the shot again. The mechanics. It's all in the detail. Lovely clean shot as AP was kind of moving backwards and kind of off balance....

You cannot know AP was finished had the ref not given a count.

AJ vs. Whyte was cleanly rocked/wobbled and there for the taking. He recovered well, but he was every bit as stunned as AP.

Tyson back in 1989 was also stunned, but not to the same degree as AJ was...

Anyway, no way to prove any of this....so it's kind of pointless.
    The ropes and ref both came into play to help AP , neither was needed for AJ or Tyson to recover,
    Would AP recovered without the ref and ropes who knows but the certainly helped him,
    Anyway AP v AJ is a gimme for AJ , he's to old, short and slow at this stage,

How do you think a fight will look better  (aesthetically ) between Povetin at 39 year old whos only 6'2 , short reach, and looked like carbage since he got popped,  nearly got ko'd by Price for god sake,

Than 2 undefeated world champions , both in there prime , 6'6 and 6'7 and both with nearly identical reach,

Because style wise I think AJ/AP will produce a better fight for boxing fans...I see it having more variety and cleanness...

I see Wilder/AJ being a bit of an awkward clash that lasts no time..

If you knew boxing I wouldn’t have to be explaining myself..

Because style wise I think AJ/AP will produce a better fight for boxing fans...I see it having more variety and cleanness...

I see Wilder/AJ being a bit of an awkward clash that lasts no time..

If you knew boxing I wouldn’t have to be explaining myself..
    I do know boxing very well in fact 
     I cant see how a guy who is 38 and manly throws hooks with a short reach and is 6'2 will look anyway good against a 6'6  with long reach who's showed in his last fight he can jab a smaller man from distance all night,

I cant see how a guy who is 38 and manly throws hooks with a short reach and is 6'2 will look anyway good against a 6'6  with long reach who's showed in his last fight he can jab a smaller man from distance all night,

Well, you are misinterpreting what I am trying to say.

He may not look good against AJ. But he may look good...

My point is that I think their styles make for a better looking fight as well as a more exciting and eye pleasing spectacle.

Wilder-AJ could well be a belter, could well be more eye catching....I have a feeling it may be a bit of a stinker. Awkward, clumsy and raggedy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

No one on the planet must know boxing like you then ya condescending d!ck. Your probably the only person bar AP who'd prefer to see that fight an thinks it'd be better than wilder - AJ.

Well, you are misinterpreting what I am trying to say.

He may not look good against AJ. But he may look good...

My point is that I think their styles make for a better looking fight as well as a more exciting and eye pleasing spectacle.

Wilder-AJ could well be a belter, could well be more eye catching....I have a feeling it may be a bit of a stinker. Awkward, clumsy and raggedy..
    I understand exactly what your saying,
    Its obvious you not a fan of fights that don't look a certain way . I don't care what the fight looks like it's the biggest fight with the top two fighters,
    There's numerous ways to skin a cat, It doesn't bother me if its a bore and stinks the place out I just wana know who is the best of the two ,I'm not interested in who looks better., If someone figures out a way to beat the other man and he can't responded and adjust that hard luck, 
    Boxing is about winning within the rule set, not looking a certain way
    Even with all that I just can't see how you think Aj v Ap will be pleasing on the eye ,Unless you think one sided beatings are pleasing,
     Ap is shorter in  height , shorter reach , slower and older than Parker it'll look way worse than that and if I remember correctly you where not a fan of that fight,

Jaysus lads the knives are out here. Remember we're all entitled to an opinion and to disagree with another's. 
    I'd be happy enough for the AP AJ fight to be announced and would look forward to Wilder vs DB as well. Both very winnable fights for the champs. Poor Whyte will have a fit if he beats Parker and still no title shot. If it goes to points then he will likely get a soft decision and I'm not sure I see Parker KOing him.
    The big fight, of course, is Wilder Vs Joshua. Hard to pick a winner for sure. All the belts on the line. Quite the opposite of the frustration experienced with Lewis and Bowe (although obviously a different class of fighter). A mate of mine was talking about the excitement of AJ vs Parker but it did turn out to be forgettable so that can happen but with the KO inclination of both Wilder and AJ I think it's a different fight altogether. There could be a number of dull rounds but at some point it'll be bombs away.

• Advertisement

I understand exactly what your saying,
    Its obvious you not a fan of fights that don't look a certain way . I don't care what the fight looks like it's the biggest fight with the top two fighters,
    There's numerous ways to skin a cat, It doesn't bother me if its a bore and stinks the place out I just wana know who is the best of the two ,I'm not interested in who looks better., If someone figures out a way to beat the other man and he can't responded and adjust that hard luck, 
    Boxing is about winning within the rule set, not looking a certain way
    Even with all that I just can't see how you think Aj v Ap will be pleasing on the eye ,Unless you think one sided beatings are pleasing,
     Ap is shorter in  height , shorter reach , slower and older than Parker it'll look way worse than that and if I remember correctly you where not a fan of that fight,

Grand....

I agree with you on best vs. best.....never disagreed there....

My point was purely based off styles making for a better spectacle, better in my view.

And, just for the record, I really want to see AJ and Wilder fight. Whether it be a great fight/stinker or so so....

I think you went off on a tangent and saw things that I didn't say...

Advertisement