Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

A points win for Clarke… I’m sure the big slow idiot put on a clinic

Anderson vs Martin at the weekend. Martin is a late replacement and I fancy Anderson to hammer the shite out of him inside 4. Don’t think we’ll learn all that much about Anderson and we know all there is to know about Martin. But should be still a decent spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Martin has to be the worst Heavyweight champion ever. He won his title because his opponent broke his ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

zhang v joyce 2 announced for sept 23 at the ovo arena wembley

does anyone think joke can pull it off ?

to me he seemed so lost like he didn't realise he was up against a southpaw

AJ v Whyte talks are back on after the rematch clause was removed, stupid fight and aj and co must be nervou trying to include a one sided rematch

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’ve just given up on the HWs. So tiring..

Wilder/Ruiz might pique my interest if it happens.

Zhang, if prepared hammers Joe again

• Advertisement

And yet he should have beaten Ortiz. Threw that one away.

I think it’s a good fight. If Joe hadn’t begun so badly in the first two rounds presenting his face then it coulda been another story. I’ll tentatively say Joyce to win the rematch.

So Anderson with his first points win. Decent scrap. Thought the cards were a little bit wide but convincing win for him. Martin came in on very short notice and at times was able to give it a good crack. Round 5 took a lot outta him but his best opportunities came when he went after it. He’s so awkward and cumbersome but pretty game since the Joshua fight. Nice bit of respect between the two of them afterwards. Joe Joyce should have gone for Martin if he wanted southpaw practice

i haven't seen the fight yet but a few of the comments mentioned anderson doesn't hit hard enough and martins was able to eat the punches

Wouldn’t really argue and Martin wobbled him in the 5th and again late on. I think right now Anderson needs to be matched up with fairly beatable opposition. Martin came in with 11 days notice. We all know plenty about Martin. I think he’s a bit better than the Joshua mess and it wouldn’t shock me if he got paid a few quid and went down easy but he’s very alright. I can see Anderson getting battered down the line.

• Advertisement

To be fair Martin looked in the best shape I have seen him. He must have been training for another fight?

Possibly, I’m not too sure. He’s actually more likeable a fella than I had thought. I think he’s always in much the same shape. Fair. He was puffing a bit a few times but he showed plenty of heart to hang in and weather the storms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Do think you need to take Anderson's age into account in fairness to him. Joshua was fighting Paul Butlin at this age, Fury having some struggles with Cunningham.

Do think Anderson will likely come unstuck against the elite who'll be too big and too strong but he's clearly very skilled imo just shouldn't be rushed.

Heavyweight division really is absolutely rank though. Blows my mind a bit that there's 370 pages worth of talk on a division that's so poor on here.

Fair point yea. He will still be around with Dubois down the line. That might be a good fight. He can mix stances and that’s unusual, implies he has learned a good bit from Fury.

Ha well its the marquee division, might not be all that skilled but I love it.

Heavyweight division seems to be going through a transition now where the big boys are coming in waving huge sums of money around and fighters are afraid to turn it down or lose and then lose out on a huge payday.

ego and money getting in the way of a good scrap, the Saudi group are talking about pushing the Aj v wilder thing to 2024 now if it even happens

Aj v Whyte is pants but they can’t even get that sorted

fury appears to be doing an exhibition with nganu or some shite

dubois v Usyk doesn’t have much appeal but I will watch it for sure

Hard not to agree with that. Here we are in the second half of the year and there hasn’t been a decent fight made at the top end. Even Usyk in with Dubois or Wilder would get you going. Joyce Zhang has been the best yet and only it was a surprise it wasnt great stuff. That’s the one thing I hate about it and we’ve all discussed it; this posturing and blaming etc. Just get the fights on. We’re at the stage where we would get more mileage out of arguing about fantasy matchups.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The whole division is an absolute mess,

I just hope the last 18 months of nonsense fights & not fighting has given some young heavy weights the chance to catch up ,

All of a sudden before the year is out AJ 34, Fury 35 , Wilder 38 , Usyk 37 in January, they have all wasted 18 months of there life's,

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Heavyweight scene in embarrassing.

It's actually been a great year for boxing in the other divisions. Loads of great fights and two belters to come this month in Crawford/Spence and Inoue/Fulton.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

It’s never going to happen but it would be great if the WBC told fury to fight Usyk or be stripped.

Wbc bend over backwards for current and former belt holders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Usyk almost a year since he fought....utter bollix this HW division.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

Arslanbek Makhmudov

Did anybody watch him fight on Saturday ?

He's 34 y old , no time for hanging around.

Yeah, I saw him. He was very crude but strong and tough. He was like a better version of Johnny Fischer

His opponent was like a dear in the headlights so it's hard to know how good he is..

Usyk vs Dubois finally announced for 26th August.

Be some laugh if dubois splats him

whatever happens fair play to him for taking his shot at the title

ANTHONY JOSHUA and Dillian Whyte’s bitter trilogy clash has finally been confirmed for August 12 at the 02 arena

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

zero interest in heavyweight boxing now.... since none of these chancers will fight eachother...

• Advertisement

Eddie Hearn has told match room that AJ v Wilder is locked in, but only if he beats Whyte

so it is not really locked in then

Advertisement