Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

So who else should he have fought to get your seal of approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is Dec 23 the date officially for this fight? I think the date still to be announced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

You can pick holes in virtually anyone’s cv. Cruiser weight has been very shallow for 10 years or longer so Usyk is just ok and Holyfield would batter him for instance. He’s beaten a washed up Joshua who refused to engage twice and Dubois had him beaten…

90s guys were all full to the neck of juice. Lewis’ best win was against a shot Tyson, Bowe ducked Lewis and only beat Holyfield because he was off the juice, Tyson was entertaining but lost against anyone who fought back…

Fury has beaten every man he’s faced and by a distance usually. He’s fought a few turkeys when they were already on the way down but he’s beaten them all and another 2-3 would cement his place as the top dog of the era. On the all time list it’s impossible to say because you have to factor in evolution, training methods, frequency of fights, medical advancements etc. IF you imagine all things being equal then it’s an interesting conversation. I think he could beat them all but that doesn’t necessarily put him top of the pile either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

frank warren said the date will be made official after the opening night of the season and will be part of the seasons events, he wouldn't go into further details about purse splits or rematch clauses

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Bob arum was asked about the purse for the fight

The internet isn’t for everyone

Mother a jaysus.. no doubt Usyk will earn an absolute heap as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Hearn must be sick. If that money is true you have to hand it to fury for waiting it out for best possible offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

I said it on my original post. Rematch with Klitschko definitely. He deserved that opportunity.

AJ is missing too.

He hasn’t many wins against other top 10 contenders, he fights people outside the top 10 mostly.

He’s the best of his era but he’s no where near a top 5 of all time based on his resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

AJ wouldn't have a prayer let's be honest but I do hope he gets a chance to beat him

• Advertisement

He was caught cheating for the proposed Klit rematch, and then used the mental health card to try excuse it all. His win over Wlad is tainted, as before the match (earlier 2015) he had Nandrolone in his system. He also failed a test for cocaine in his system, where again he used the mental health excuse. This was in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I see Gassiev came in at 217lbs for his fight with Wallin. Pity it's not on TV anywhere.

Current AJ probably gets beaten but for a few years that was a big fight and represented a good challenge.

I think sometimes its about taking the fights at the time they appear to be a challenge that deserves credit. Hindsight might later show it wasn’t a good win but at the time it was considered a good win and you took the challenge.

So Fury had the Klit and Wilder wins going for him in that regard. If Wilder goes on to not fight and beat AJ, Usyk and Zhang then that win might not look so good in time.

No Klit rematch, no AJ, no Usyk (at the minute) going against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

This to me feels a bit like the old “it’s not what he said its the way he said it”

It’s almost 2 years since Fury had a real juicy fight. What’s he done while he was top of the pops? Took on the mighty challenges of Shyte and Shitora, and then a con fight. A rematch against Wallin even would have been a respectable fight but no, not that either. Then there’s the USyk, Joshua matches or fights with guys more deserving than those 3 like Sanchez, Hrgovic, Joyce (for a time), Zhang… guys who were on the up. I think he’d have beaten them all but it’s the risk involved that earns admiration.

Hopefully this era can be wrapped up within the next 12-15 months.. Wilder needs to fight AJ and Usyk; Usyk needs to fight Fury and Wilder; AJ needs to fight Fury and Wilder and Fury needs to fight Usyk and AJ

The Gassiev card is on live here:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Interested to see Jamie TKV here. Serious power.

• Advertisement

fight is on 1tv ru plenty of links on twitter

Couldn’t get any stream to work, I see Wallin got a split decision though. There were various opinions of who won on Twitter but all seemed to judge it a close fight.

Stream I had lasted perfect till midway through the last rd.

Wallin wins handy enough imo, controlled the distance and definitely landed the volume. He basically couldn't miss with the jab.

Gassiev with all the forward pressure you could ask for but neither the shot selection nor the volume to do anything with it. Throwing in ones or twos maybe threes the odd time but landed not very much of note.

He didn't like the right counter Wallin landed in the mid rds and was stopped in his tracks by a short uppercut in the early rds too.

The Iron mystique seems all but gone. His chin won't last fighting at HW like that either.

The 117-111 card to Gassiev was shocking.

I think the Usyk-Fury fight is very difficult to predict/visualise. Of course, all of Fury’s physical traits such as height and weight and reach could well see him win, and comfortably so

But: Usyk seems to be a fighter with such a great brain, that he has a plan/strategy to counter anything; to take away any perceived advantages.

I am visualising a lot of feinting from both lads that sees a lot of action resulting on either man “winning.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gassiev is done too then. Pity, I expected quite a bit from him.

Wallin would be a decent match up for Joyce now that would be a great scrap.

Get the impression that Fury and Usyk more than other HW fighters are able to do their own thinking in the ring; switching stances, movement, when to go with the back hand etc

Gassiev never got going at HW. He’s never been that good, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is he really though ? He is a great fighter but is he as slick as people think , he gets touched up in every fight ,

Chisora out landed him in power punches, & Dubios was 2 off him, , AJ landed a higher % off his punches in the rematch , So Uysk gets hit there is no two ways about it you can get to him,

He beat Chisora & Dubios ( did he win ) off the back of his jab , which is a dangerous game to play against Fury ,

AJ was scared stiff to empty his gas tank in both fights & to be fair in every fight since Ruiz,, The one round he did he had Usyk in serious trouble ,

Personally i think its a myth that Uysk is hard to hit , Usyk biggest weapon as a heavy weight is his gas tank & constant pressure ,which is also the reason he beat Bellew at CW , Bellew again nothing special was finding him & was actually up on the score card till he ran out of gas,

Fury is a brute with an engine , I think it may surprise some people how easy he gets the job done, Styles make fights ,

• Advertisement

Can’t disagree with your reasons why you think Fury wins.

Advertisement