Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

squinn2912 wrote: »
    They might get a go at someone like Price, Hammer or one of the up and coming fighters like Joyce or Dubois.

I don't know why anyone would go against Price. It's a clear step down even from Chisora.

Takam seems to always be in shape, I'd expect him to outwork Chisora but it could be a good brawl while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ah he's a bit of a platform from which to spring. Decent interest from British public for any of them - maybe Takam less so. He makes a decent name on the undercard. His fight with AP was an enjoyable one and until that massive KO he'd done well. Against an excellent fighter at world level he held his own for a while and didn't go into a shell like he had done before. He fell short but those boys are a good step down from AP so he'd be competitive at that level. The trouble is that he's been really ironed out in his losses and for his own safety it's probably better if he doesn't fight on or fight anyone who's going to do real damage to him. Very likable guy who just didn't get there. There's already a sad undertone to his story, it doesn't need to get any more sad.

Any takers for an opinion on the heavyweights who have mostly underachieved? Price comes to mind when considering freezing on the big stage but there’s also a big argument that he never belonged at top level. So I’m going to suggest Ike Ibeabuchi. He came along during a great era and I think had a lot more in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,651 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Odlanier Solis from recent times...

walshb wrote: »
    Odlanier Solis from recent times...

Incredible amature but very peculiar.

• Advertisement

Mike Tyson, massively underachieved IMO. He could/should have dominated for much longer had he maintained discipline in his personal and professional life.

I tend to agree with that.

Bowe worth a mention too, although they couldn’t all dominate

Mike Tyson, massively underachieved IMO. He could/should have dominated for much longer had he maintained discipline in his personal and professional life.

I see your point, but he achieved a ridiculous amount in his 1st career...

Unified HW champion with circa 10 championship wins.

His lifestyle and his allowing certain people to enter and leave his team cost him badly...

Just watched the Byrd vs Ibeabuchi again don’t know how Byrd got up from that shot. In fairness I think he was underrated and much maligned for his style. He was often giving away 25 lbs and everyone expected him to trade... he probably overreached over his career but did give some excellent boxers all the trouble they wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Any takers for an opinion on the heavyweights who have mostly underachieved? Price comes to mind when considering freezing on the big stage but there’s also a big argument that he never belonged at top level. So I’m going to suggest Ike Ibeabuchi. He came along during a great era and I think had a lot more in him.

Mike Perez.

Maybe not a heavy any more but arsed around for far too long

Perez was never going to achieve to begin with...

Yep agreed on that. I’d have said the same for Andre Ward but for the kovalev fights putting the gloss back on his legacy. Though I think he was inactive due to some legal disputes rather than any fault per se. Avoided too. There’s that point well contradicted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Bowe must have underachieved the most.

Yea he got to the top of the tree and threw it all away. Like Tyson he allowed the wrong people to have influence over him. I still don’t think he ever really fancied taking on Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Yea he got to the top of the tree and threw it all away. Like Tyson he allowed the wrong people to have influence over him. I still don’t think he ever really fancied taking on Lewis
    Mike actually over achieved in my opinion ,
    He was 5'10 heavy weight to be that size and have the success he had is incredible and a man with mental issue from the off-set,  
    You have to wonder if Cus had of been around longer would Tyson's life have been different, He seems to be the one guys that had Mike best interest at hearth after that people just wanted to make cash from him .

I was talking about Bowe there. I don't think Tyson overachieved. Getting a belt second time round possibly but prime Mike was something else.

I was talking about Bowe there. I don't think Tyson overachieved. Getting a belt second time round possibly but prime Mike was something else.
    My brother is friend of Hamish Thomas and Gary Hyde both have some great storied of the Cork based Cuban lads and Rigondeaux

Hearn is now saying that contract has been sent to Wilder.
    It might actually be happening.

A Week later and Hearn finally says he has sent the contract...

Dave Allen saying he hadn’t heard of Tony Yoka... gold medal in the olympics pass you by then Dave?

• Advertisement

Anyone watch this fight? I took a look this morning. Allen looked like a stand in but he did what he does - loads of heart on the night after loads of takeaway before the night. Yoka needs to work on getting behind shots and I thought the stoppage was about right. I think he could make waves he’s a good athlete but I wouldn’t move him up in class just yet. 4-5 more fights to work on things would be fine. He could fight twice more even and the Joyce fight would be there in 12-18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

...WBA orders Joshua sign for mandatory defence against Povetkin within 24 hours...So that's that with regards Joshua Wilder in 2018...

I see that. I, for one, couldn’t be happier about that

I see that. I, for one, couldn’t be happier about that
    I really can't see the appeal , Its a gimme fight round 5 max,
    Although there isn't much else to put on and there is no way the Wilder fight was happing this year,
    I wonder what the pay per view buys will look like for this ,

Lovely.....should be a cracker while it lasts...

I agree. This is a good thing. Never mind the fight itself for a moment, the wilder fight was never on this year no chance. So I’m happy that’s put to bed.
    On the fight itself stylistically it’s excellent. Both will come forward and AP will be in shape this is the last chance. Aj can be hit and AP has speed and throws mean hooks.
    I think he will buzz him but AJ by ko in the mid rounds

AP is to old ,to slow and to short,  
    I think this will be a very short night and an easy pay check for AJ,
    They guy struggled with Price who is woeful he's going to get destroyed v AJ

We get it....you think it's a complete mismatch.....

I think AJ wins, but I reckon it could be a great fight and spectacle....

walshb wrote: »
    We get it....you think it's a complete mismatch.....

I think AJ wins, but I reckon it could be a great fight and spectacle....
    We shall see soon enough ,

• Advertisement

I look at it like this as well. Wilder AJ fight is thee fight at the moment and will still be so in 6 months time. AP fight is a really good one but getting close to the sell by date. AP is the mandatory. He is the only fighter at the moment who can pose any threat to AJ other than Wilder. I’d like Wilder to fight Pulev now

Advertisement