Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There is no rule that says judges have to score a rd 10-8 to a boxer (who scored the knockdown) just because an official knockdown occurred in that rd.

He has strong Irish and English heritage/connections

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

96-93 is just one round different to 95-94.

One poster put up a link to an MMA website that scored it 96-93 to fury. It’s not an incredible result when you score it round by round.

So are we to expect another mental health flare up and quit job from Fury? Dec 23 off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

96-93 means 7 rounds to Fury, 3 to Francis with a 10-8.

nothing strange about that scorecard at all.

Francis will regret doing nothing in rounds 9 and 10. A minimum amount of offence and he would have got the nod as Fury won those rounds by just landing a few jabs.

Yes. I get that. I was more making a point about 10-8 rds. No 10-8 and it’s 97-93

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ngannou vs AJ next please, for the lols

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

Fury was awful tonight.

I found it in some ways similar to the Klitschko fight only this time Fury was playing the role of Klit.

Didn’t throw enough. Seemed happy to stay out of range. Hesitant.

Fair play to Ngannou. He shocked the world.

I didn’t score the rounds but it felt close. There were plenty of rounds with not much action. Ngannou definitely ran out of energy in the last 5 rounds and was conserving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

95-94 Fury for me. Could be the same score the other way. 96-93 Fury equally possible.

The howls of "disgrace" and "robbery" are embarrassing. You'd think Ngannou put on a masterclass and beat the head off him or something. Special nod to the poster who said "I didn't score it round by round but..."

Boxing has plenty of evidence to show its worldwide corruption, but this ain't it.

Shite Fury performance, took him too lightly. Ngannou did very well and obviously much better than expected. Was impressed more than anything with his discipline. Very few haymakers, very little wastage. He boxed. **** Dana White.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Compubox numbers for anyone's that's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Interesting stats.

Anyone have a breakdown of how a judges makes a call on the round winner? If it's down to the number of punches landed then you can see why Fury got the win

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As bad as Fury was i thought he won by 2 rounds,

He didn't seem to know how to approach it , MAybe the lack of tape of Franics who knows but he done what he always does & found a way

Fury was pants but Francis didn't do much ,

I think people are giving him some of the close rounds because he is NOT the boxer, but i think if u rewatch it Fury won by a round or two

Only watched highlights. The way some folks are reporting you’d think they’d never seen Fury box.

I’ve seen him box similar against pro boxers. I said it earlier, folks expecting Francis to be in MMA striking mode.. nonsense. Months spent training for a boxing match.

anyway, it’s a stain on his legacy, but he’s been a stain these past few years really.

AJ knocks him out clean and early. I’d back plenty to streamroll him. Even a Chisora (style wise) pummels him.

Mike Tyson said similar. Fury won’t know what to expect

They use the below

• Effective Aggression: Being aggressive gives the impression of dominance, but unless the boxer is landing shots and not constantly getting countered, it isn't really 'effective'. Judges look for effective aggression, where the aggressor consistently lands punches and avoids those from his opponent.
    • Ring Generalship: The fighter who controls the action and enforces their will and style.
    • Defense: How well is a boxer slipping, parrying, and blocking punches? Good defense is important.
    • Hard and Clean Punches: To the untrained eye, it can appear as if a boxer is landing a lot of shots, when, in fact, most are being blocked or aren’t landing flush. A judge needs to look for hard shots that land clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

well last night was interesting, i think fury approached the fight all wrong and didn't do his usual jab and move while keeping him at range and then landing the heavy shots, nagano made the fight very difficult for fury by keeping distance and working a counter attack style. Last night with commentary on and the surprise of the knockdown i was expecting fury loss but after watching it back on mute fury landed more and for the last 3 rounds nagano offered very little so fury shades it for me.

Nganu was all wrong for fury he didn't have size or power or weight advantage to bully his opponent this time and being a boxing novice nganu was not fighting in the usual style coming forward, i am wondering if fury listened to all the media etc saying this would be a knock over one round and going home and the 12 week camp was a load of shite, he dropped a nice bit of weight from the presser just over a month ago so if he was in camp for 3 months what was he fat as a pig for the presser. Hopefully he learns from that fight and gets back to business of proper boxing but i guess he can dry his eyes with the 100m he got paid lol

i can't see any boxers jumping in with ngannou now

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What i will say is Fury was bang on to take the fight, The camp he just done will do him the world good going into the Usyk camp ,

Call me crazy but how can a 37 year old be that big . carry that much muscle & not tire badly .

I wonder was there doping policy's in place for this fight ,

• Advertisement

So because Fury made an absolute meal ouha beating an MMA fighter, other top HWs won’t want to risk a fight with him?

Not everyone is on drugs. Only one confirmed doper (historical) in the ring last night, and it wasn’t Francis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wasn't expecting that photo of Fury on his back on the front pages this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think they said that was a load of bollocks.......... Wild pig bollocks

can you see aj going into the ring with him ? i can't

AJ destroys him. Yes, I could easily see AJ taking it..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fury should be winning that emphatically. We can all agree he did not do so. I think it's a poor excuse to say he did not know what to do with him in the ring. He is the number one heavyweight in the world you find a way. Well his supporters will say he did find a way, but it was far from an impressive performance. I can only assume he did sod all training for this fight despite what he said in interviews. I can't see the fight with Uysk going ahead on the 23rd of December now. Frank Warren and Fury himself did not seem keen on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Despite the hysterics fury won, he was awful but I think people are losing the run of themselves , Eddie Hearn for one trying to make Joshua relevant again !

he already turned it down when eddie offered it to him so they went to fury with the idea

• Advertisement

The KD punch was decent when you look closely.

Advertisement