Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    How's it a dig at AJ , your very sensitive when I' mention AJ its quite funny
    No one wants to fight Ortiz as there is nothing to gain ,
    No one said he"  is the treat " , just said none of the big guys want to fight him as there nothing to gain and a lot to lose,
    You should read what I wrote before crying because you think someone is having a go at your precious AJ,

Hardly crying....just eliciting debate, that's all.

You have obviously taken it too personally

AJ is not precious, just a fighter. Your post came across that he and his team are running scared, I simply challenged that. If you didn't mean that at all, fine...

Just "fight" your corner, and don't assume I am "crying."
    I clearly said  to much to lose and not enough to gain by beating him , It doesn't make sense for top guys to take the fight, If it doesn't make sense then there right not to ,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I clearly said  to much to lose and not enough to gain by beating him , It doesn't make sense for top guys to take the fight, If it doesn't make sense then there right not to ,

Would you give Ortiz a huger chance at beating AJ compared to Povetkin? If so, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Based on the David Price fight and the fact Povetkin looks a different fighter after he pissed hot, I give Povektin as much a chance of beating Joshua as I'd give David Price. Joshua needs to only train to move away from the lunging left hook and he can pick his poison in how he wants to beat Povetkin to a pulp. Povetkin offers no threat really. I get that this is a mandatory and who else is there to fight given the circumstances, but it still is a complete mismatch of a fight.

Would you give Ortiz a huger chance at beating AJ compared to Povetkin? If so, why?

Ortiz is a better boxer than Povetkin, he's a very solid counter puncher, he's a southpaw, he probably hits harder (Povetkin's power is very overrated) and he's slightly taller and rangier than Povetkin. I'd definitely give him a bigger chance of beating Joshua in comparison to this version of Povetkin. He just has more going for him and he'd be harder to prepare for. Wilder did well to stop him but he gave it as good as he got back and on another day he might have KO'd Wilder...if anything that loss rose his stock to new heights. Povetkin could well have got to a young Joshua when he was planking guys out on the canvas left, right and centre before he was popped.

Based on the David Price fight and the fact Povetkin looks a different fighter after he pissed hot, I give Povektin as much a chance of beating Joshua as I'd give David Price. Joshua needs to only train to move away from the lunging left hook and he can pick his poison in how he wants to beat Povetkin to a pulp. Povetkin offers no threat really. I get that this is a mandatory and who else is there to fight given the circumstances, but it still is a complete mismatch of a fight.

He has an overhand right chance to score a KO. AJs chin is still questionable.

I think APs been taken for granted a bit too much.

• Advertisement

I would actually 
    He a south paw, longer reach and he is much slicker and smarter than AP, He'd have the same power, Only been defeated once , I think he was level or only 1 round behind when Wilder stopped him ,
    Again I don't rate AP at all,  ,

Ortiz is a better boxer than Povetkin, he's a very solid counter puncher, he's a southpaw, he probably hits harder (Povetkin's power is very overrated) and he's slightly taller and rangier than Povetkin. I'd definitely give him a bigger chance of beating Joshua in comparison to this version of Povetkin. He just has more going for him and he'd be harder to prepare for. Wilder did well to stop him but he gave it as good as he got back and on another day he might have KO'd Wilder...if anything that loss rose his stock to new heights. Povetkin could well have got to a young Joshua when he was planking guys out on the canvas left, right and centre before he was popped.
    I agree with all the above,
    Ortiz is just to old and as iv said there's to much to lose little to gain by fighting him ,
    The big guys will leave it another year or so before wanting to fight him .,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Anyone see the press conference today? Millar nicely staged for some nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Anyone see the press conference today? Millar nicely staged for some nonsense

I wonder does Hearn actually expect anyone to believe any of this is real anymore. The percentage of scuffles at his press conferences versus other promoters is through the roof

Annoying isn’t it? Millar would be a nice easy opponent for AJ if he does go to USA say next summer if the wilder fight still hasn’t happened. If that were the case I wonder what turkey he’d fight at Wembley for the second of these announced dates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Millar would be a nice easy opponent for AJ

He certainly would be.

Millar refused to take the IBF madatory fight with Pulev and is apparently fighting Spizka next, a guy who hasn't been the same since Wilder almost decapitated him.

All seems a nice easy set up by Hearn for an easy night for AJ down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Annoying isn’t it? Millar would be a nice easy opponent for AJ if he does go to USA say next summer if the wilder fight still hasn’t happened. If that were the case I wonder what turkey he’d fight at Wembley for the second of these announced dates
    I'd imagine a Whyte rematch would be a big contender for the April Wembley date. Especially if he beats Parker.

Pighead wrote: »
    I'd imagine a Whyte rematch would be a big contender for the April Wembley date. Especially if he beats Parker.
    I think that's what they want to happen,

If Parker has any class he should beat that bang average Whyte.....

I know Parker ain't much better, but fook sake, can someone put an end to Whyte parading around as some kind of elite HW.

If Parker has any class he should beat that bang average Whyte.....

I know Parker ain't much better, but fook sake, can someone put an end to Whyte parading around as some kind of elite HW.
    Parker has never really looked elite either thought so its a fight Whyte can win ,
    Many thought Huey Fury beat Parker,
    I don't think either guy will ever be looked at as elite

Parker has never really looked elite either thought so its a fight Whyte can win ,
    Many thought Huey Fury beat Parker,
    I don't think either guy will ever be looked at as elite

True....Parker isn't all that.....

Ah that’s it all worked out of course! Hope Whyte beats Parker and if it goes to a decision he will and then AJ vs Whyte again. Ko round 3 with a great purse for both. Not much to look forward to there then. In the meantime who does wilder fight?

• Advertisement

I hope Parker batters the sh*t out of Whyte. Whyte is god awful to watch and an absolute clown. Parker gets a lot of stick imo, he fought very well against Joshua and I'd say if he realised earlier on that Joshua wasn't nothing to fear and went more aggressive he could have well have won. Joshua was horrid. Those cards were an absolute fix, no way did Joshua win 11-1 or 10-2 like the cards said. 8-4 would probably as far as you could go. Parker is a damn good fighter with a great chin, great movement and decent boxing ability and decent power. He should beat Whyte but the cards are already probably made out to ensure the Joshua/Whyte rematch happens.

What so clear rds did Parker win?

AJ was far from impressive, but he fought a man running scared, with no obvious indications that he was there to win..

So why are the wide scores so wrong?

I won’t watch it again, but from memory it was very difficult to award such a negative Parker rds..

The fight was closely fought in the sense that AJ didn’t beat Parker up, but not close in terms of who was winning the rds. AJ was definitely winning the rds, and the vast majority of them..

I think there are points in that. Parker was very different from Charles Martin say and I felt he showed a bit to suggest he’d won round 9 or 10 if I remember correctly. Brutal fight but AJ still won clearly. Against him and Taakam he looked quite ordinary but neither had the tools or will to take advantage.
    I’m going for Parker vs Whyte too. Whyte just annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Any chance it could be Tyson Fury next April (Wembley).Promotional differences, etc. He could fight again in December after August & be ready to go for April.

That is a possibility but seems a long long long shot. I could actually see Fury vs Wilder being made first as a bit of s response to AJ making a fight with Whyte. Fury needs to look good in August though and then fight again around Christmas so a bit to happen there yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

That is a possibility but seems a long long long shot. I could actually see Fury vs Wilder being made first as a bit of s response to AJ making a fight with Whyte. Fury needs to look good in August though and then fight again around Christmas so a bit to happen there yet

I really cant see fury risking it all against wilder. A loss completely fecks his chances of earning a big wad a cash for fighting AJ

Has he got a better chance vs Wilder though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Maybe...
    but he'll earn a fraction of the money compared to an AJ fight.

And if he's counted out on the broad of his back against wilder where does he go from there? He'll have literally ruined his earning potential.

A couple of soft fights followed by a massive domestic showdown with AJ in front of a sold out stadium is Fury's easiest and quickest path to a rake of cash. Can't see him turning such an opportunity down.

Maybe...
    but he'll earn a fraction of the money compared to an AJ fight.

And if he's counted out on the broad of his back against wilder where does he go from there? He'll have literally ruined his earning potential.

A couple of soft fights followed by a massive domestic showdown with AJ  in front of a sold out stadium is Fury's easiest and quickest path to a rake of cash. Can't see him turning such an opportunity down.
    I think your right he will 1000% want AJ first,
    I think  Fury has a better chance against AJ,
    Aj is a better boxer than Wilder but Wilder literally needs one shot against anyone ,
    I know AJ hits hard but he seems to need a few shots and soften you up first so you've a chance to recover, One mistake v Wilder and its lights out,

• Advertisement

I think your right he will 1000% want AJ first,
    I think  Fury has a better chance against AJ,
    Aj is a better boxer than Wilder but Wilder literally needs one shot against anyone ,
    I know AJ hits hard but he seems to need a few shots and soften you up first so you've a chance to recover, One mistake v Wilder and its lights out,

Good assessment, but AJ still has enough power in one shot to take Fury out I reckon...

If I had to gamble I'd say Fury has more a chance v Wilder, albeit a very slim chance, compared to his chances vs. AJ.

Here's the thing....AJ is clearly a better technical boxer than Fury. Fury will be hard pressed to even box with AJ. He does not have the punching fluidity and technical skills to outbox AJ.

Advertisement