Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Fury should beat the brakes off the current version of Joshua if he has anything left in him. Hard to tell if that is the case though. Pianeta will tell us very little but at least it is a HW.

Joshua is far too cautious and relying on his boxing rather than his strength or power which is his main asset. Hard to see if Joshua will ever be aggressive again after the fright he had vs Wlad even if Fury poses far less of a threat in that department.

Fury could stink the gaff out and jab his way to a win vs Wilder although Wilder's windmills probably catch everyone in the division at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

If it comes to boxing skill Fury has a big advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    I think your right he will 1000% want AJ first,
    I think  Fury has a better chance against AJ,
    Aj is a better boxer than Wilder but Wilder literally needs one shot against anyone ,
    I know AJ hits hard but he seems to need a few shots and soften you up first so you've a chance to recover, One mistake v Wilder and its lights out,

Good assessment, but AJ still has enough power in one shot to take Fury out I reckon...

If I had to gamble I'd say Fury has more a chance v Wilder, albeit a very slim chance, compared to his chances vs. AJ.

Here's the thing....AJ is clearly a better technical boxer than Fury. Fury will be hard pressed to even box with AJ. H does not have the punching fluidity and technical skills to outbox AJ.
    Has Aj ever finished a decent fighter with one **** ?
    I think your completely wrong "AJ is clearly a better technical boxer than Fury"  Fury is light years ahead of Aj in actually boxing skills, If Aj wins its due to power and being more of an athlete ,
    Technically Fury is and always will be better than AJ,  Aj as wooden as they come and has very poor shot selection compared to Fury,
    Iv literally no idea how you thick AJ is technically better.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

squinn2912 wrote: »

Here we go...

Blanket skill statement with no context behind it.....

AJ is more stable on his feet, punches far cleaner and with far more variation and fluidity. More power and force in his shots, better leverage and mechanics in his punching as well. Better inside fighter.

Skills are always subjective and there are a lot of them in pro boxing. To blanket claim one fighter is clearly more skilled is silly.

Boxing wise, and in a strict boxing senses I'll take AJ every day over Fury to win on points....

Iv literally no idea how you thick AJ is technically better.

He's a more technically gifted fighter as far as punch delivery.

Fury is all over the fooking shop. Disjointed, herky jerky and slappy at times.....he even hit himself for chrissake...

He gets the job done. Not arguing there, but he is not somehow clearly more "skilled/technical" at boxing than AJ....To be so sure on something that can be subjective is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Decent fighters doesn't mean decent chins.....it's not so much is this guy or that guy a "decent" fighter, it's more how he reacts to a flush shot.

I have seen enough of AJs power to think that a clean flush shot could KO Fury, who has been on queer street from lesser shots and lesser punchers....

Better and cleaner punch technique =/= better skilled boxer and that's the only thing Joshua has over Fury tbh.

Decent fighters doesn't mean decent chins.....it's not so much is this guy or that guy a "decent" fighter, it's more how he reacts to a flush shot.

I have seen enough of AJs power to think that a clean flush shot could KO Fury, who has been on queer street from lesser shots and lesser punchers....
    Your simply wrong if you think AJ is a better technical boxer than Fury, Its not even close ,
    The whole build up to the fight will be will Fury's technical boxing get past AJ power ,strength and atlethisms

He has never one shot ko'd someone  ? (I cant remember )

squinn2912 wrote: »

Here we go...

Blanket skill statement with no context behind it.....

AJ is more stable on his feet, punches far cleaner and with far more . More power and force in his shots, better leverage and mechanics in his punching as well. Better inside fighter.

Skills are always subjective and there are a lot of them in pro boxing. To blanket claim one fighter is clearly more skilled is silly.

Boxing wise, and in a strict boxing senses I'll take AJ every day over Fury to win on points....
    How in the world has Aj more variation and fluidity , he has one of the worst shot selection of any champion and wooden as with everything, even is foot work is very very basic, but I do agree that helps with his power and force,
    I agree he does the simple stuff well but that's all he can do its very robotic and stiff,  Tyson is so much better at moving creating angles and throw a wide variation of shots, Aj boxes the way he does as he can't box any other way he has to stick to the basics but does so very well,
    He's not a natural boxer he sticks to what he is thought like a robot, some people might call that good technic but its not , its just being good at the basics ,
    Its like a back up dancer who learns a set pattern and stick to it or  a free style dancer who is more natural and moves better,

All about the dance! AJ is very stiff and walks in straight lines. Fury has a more fluid jab when he throws it and slips shots better. Neither take shots that well tbh. I’d wager that AJ would win though because I don’t think Fury can keep him away the whole fight. Fury would have a much better chance of frustrating wilder. That fight is big money too and there’s an easier belt. Why wouldn’t he fancy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

He has never one shot ko'd someone  ? (I cant remember )

Raphael Zumbano Love

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Aj is a better boxer than Wilder but Wilder literally needs one shot against anyone ,
    I know AJ hits hard but he seems to need a few shots and soften you up first so you've a chance to recover, One mistake v Wilder and its lights out,

Tbh I just think he wants the AJ fight because it make the most monetary sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

AJ is tailor made for Fury. Watch the first few rounds of Joshua v Parker. Parker was basically mimicking Fury vs Wlad with lots of feints and movement and making AJ miss badly. Fair play to McCracken, he told AJ to just work behind the jab. Parker was never going to out jab AJ, so in the end it looked like a controlled performance from AJ, but he was very frustrated early on when made to miss. In the end he landed pretty much nothing of significance on Parker. Fury moves much better than Parker, and there is no way AJ is going to out jab him.

I'd give Wilder a better chance against Fury. He's got little skill, but he has quick feet and can be quite unorthodox. Unorthodox enough to surprise you with something you didn't see coming and pretty much end the fight there and then.

Of course this is all moot if Tyson can't get back to 90% of what he was.

Tbh I just think he wants the AJ fight because it make the most monetary sense.
    Its the real money fight,
    Also I think Fury would find it way more enjoyable to beat AJ , Fury would probably retire again ,He really would lap it up .
    But its no easy Job .

Of course this is all moot if Tyson can't get back to 90% of what he was.

Excuses at the ready

What was 90 percent of what he was? His win over Wlad where he hugged and spoiled and kissed and tickled his way to a win?

A win is a win, Floyd was doing it for years conning his way to winning rounds. He made people think Wlad was a complete bum when people were starting to think Wlad was one of the greatest HWs ever.

A win is a win, Floyd was doing it for years conning his way to winning rounds. He made people think Wlad was a complete bum when people were starting to think Wlad was one of the greatest HWs ever.

Anyway, that performance won't come close to what is needed when an AJ/Wilder are in front of him, both not giving a sh1t (unlike scared Wlad) that maybe Fury can hit them.

Anyway, that performance won't come close to what is needed when an AJ/Wilder are in front of him, both not giving a sh1t (unlike scared Wlad) that maybe Fury can hit them.
    AJ has not fought the same since the Wlad fight,
    Remember Fury made Wlad fight scared Aj did not, Fury ever got hit by Wlad, Aj is a different fighter since he felt Wlad's shots ,
    Wilder i'll give you he can only fight one way,

I can u sweat and AJ not rising to the occasion against a very limited taakam and Parker’s team did a good job to keep him away from danger even if very under-ambitious.
    I think Fury would beat wilder by frustrating the life out of him. I’d expect AJ to be too strong for clinches and better on the inside. Fury could be ahead on cards but I’d unfortunately predict a mid/late stoppage. He doesn’t have the power to ko AJ or if he has I don’t fancy him to get it detonated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Like i said, watch the first few rounds of AJ v Parker. Parker was frustrating him and making him miss using the exact same blueprint Fury used against Wlad. He just didn't have the size to capitalise.

As for not giving sh1t about getting hit, be real. Fury might not be a KO artist, but getting punched in the face by a 7ft heavyweight no doubt sucks. It's boxing, not a cartoon.

• Advertisement

Like i said, watch the first few rounds of AJ v Parker. Parker was frustrating him and making him miss using the exact same blueprint Fury used against Wlad. He just didn't have the size to capitalise.

As for not giving sh1t about getting hit, be real. Fury might not be a KO artist, but getting punched in the face by a 7ft heavyweight no doubt sucks. It's boxing, not a cartoon.

Hurts, but not enough for Wilder or Fury to be as scared sh1tless as Wlad. That is the point...

Just took a look at Lewis v Rahman 1 abdbit goesnto show what happens at hw when there isn’t fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

He certainly would be.

Millar refused to take the IBF madatory fight with Pulev and is apparently fighting Spizka next, a guy who hasn't been the same since Wilder almost decapitated him.

All seems a nice easy set up by Hearn for an easy night for AJ down the line.

Eddie seems to be really pushing Millar to the UK audience.
    He has put him on the commentary/Punditry team for Whyte vs Parker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Oleksandr Usyk will play fook if he gets near joshua....although, unfortunate as it is - seeing as boxing at that level is a business first and foremost, he wont get a heavyweight shot easily.

Size difference too much

dougm1970 wrote: »
    Oleksandr Usyk will play fook if he gets near Joshua.

What?

Haha I was wondering when you’d see that remark! Not. A. Chance.
    He was excellent last night though. I expected more from Gassiev

I am contemplating buying this.....:confused:

One of the lads is buying it...he's insane but he doesn't know much about Boxing so I'll leave him be and thank him for not making me have the hassle of finding a stream. Card isn't too brutal tbh. Chisora/Takam could be decent, Benn-Peynaud 2 could be interesting like the first fight. There's a bit of buzz over Fowler/O'Brien as well. No interest in Eggington or Taylor but it's not a bad card. Saying that I wouldn't buy it if I was a millionaire.

Easter/Mikey in the early morning as well.

• Advertisement

pac_man wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what drove him to pay the PPV? There's not exactly a household name on the card.

He's a Joshua merchant and rates Dillian Whyte highly because of that. Throw in the Katie Taylor thing as well I guess.

Advertisement