Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. Moving in. Done to death. Best man won and was a deserving winner.

On to the potential rematch, where I think Usyk gets the job done again. He has too much energy, belief and desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

He wasnt in trouble. He lost the rounds. Its boxing. You win some you lose some, you try to win more than you lose. There was only one round in that fight where someone was actually in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GHendrix

He was in trouble of losing the fight. After 7 rounds, 2 of the official cards had him 5 2 down. So he literally needed to win every other round or get a Knockdown/KO. And Fury had all the momentum.

It was an unbelievable turnaround though. Fair play to Usyk. His boxing in those final few rounds was incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Well to be fair Carl has more experience than anyone in dominating a fight for 6 rounds and running out of steam against anyone decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I mean going by how the judges score it could of been 4-3 too, so hardly dominant. The 10-8 in round 9 clinched it for usyk, he coasted the remaining rounds with some lovely boxing. Very enjoyable fight, I look forward to the rematch but I see the same outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

5 v 5 coming soon and we have take a knee v hrgovic which i can only see going one way and that is to hrgovic but he hasn't really been tested in so long he could be shot to bits but either way it will be a good scrap

zhang v wilder is a hard one to call for me, both men have serious power and both looked like they had a bad day at the office so im sitting on the fence for now

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭geotrig

Surprised at that , "Fury landing more " ? do you have a link for those states ,What i saw was a very slow and awkward Fury For rd 1 2 ,he through a few shots most were blocked and acted the maggot when getting himself cornered (whether intentional or not),Uysk was too wise to try and go for broke when others would dive right in then.knew he had to ware fury down.

Even though I had Usyk up at rd6 thought 6-7 fury looked to be in gaining control and i thought usyk looked tired and was going to lose then, but in hindsight I do think Usyk was taking a breather round as such as he seems to normally do in recent fights ,I'm convinced he has done it in rd 7 a few times for some reason .

I Still think Usyk won 1-3, rd 4 I thought was even, 5-6 fury and 7 what I saw was fury but my stream broke up a bit so missed some of the action there, I felt Usyk even when being hit in those rounds was delivering back good accurate blows and keeping Fury honest.

my 2 favorite points in the match was Furys face when he took those heavy shots to the nose/head in round eight where you knew it hurt and his face said it all and his face when he was against the ropes with Usyk slightly over him and the ref stepping in, don't think I've ever moticed him look so panicked as such in any other fight or knockdown, would love to know what was going through his head at that point but you gotta to admire so ability to shake them off ….

Rematch could really go anyway and this fight exceeded my expectations in quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Domiinating in the sense that they where clear Fury rounds, Not like the first 3 which where touch & go either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

FWiW I had Fury 5-2 up after 7 (could have been 4-3) then gave Usyk everything else to win 115-112.

I definitely thought Fury was in control after 6/7 and he looked to be cruising to a landslide points win or late stoppage but Usyk made a huge comeback in those last 5 and deserved a UD.

I find this breakdown quite interesting. Ignoring the mistakes on the graphic of Usyk winning the last 8 rounds 10-8 it gives Usyk 116-111 just based on punches landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I ended up 115-112 myself and posted that right after the fight. Thing is that's only one round away from 114-113 that two of the judges had and there were close rounds that I gave to Usyk. I gave him more of the close rounds than I did to Fury but I was pretty confident he won those rounds.

Well, now finally common sense. As I said, basic 10-9 rds wins. Nothing dominant. Competive rds that Fury deserved. Dominant is an exaggeration!!

When people start using words like masterclass, dominating, serious trouble, badly hurt to describe the first 6 rds (in either man’s favor) they’ll be called out as clueless.

I have no issue with Fury being officiallly ahead after 6-7 rds. Personally I had it 3-3, 4-3, 5-3 after 6, 7 and 8 rds; and I’ll accept 4-4 (on my second viewing).

Usyk then showed his championship class to pour it on and close the show. 116-111 for me

boards poster confirms former world champions and one of the biggest promoters in boxing as clueless 😁

Yes….clueless to come out with those words to describe the Fury performance after 6 rds. It doesn't seem to sink in here for you. . And are boxing promoters/boxers immune from saying dumb sh1t from time to time?

Great example: Ryder v Munguia a few months back. 8 completed rds, and it's 8-0 Munguia, with I think a 10-8 or two for good measure…….Amir Khan: this is a 50-50 fight…………see what I mean?

Thats very good actually. You couldnt really argue with that. As well as the fact Usyk was the one doing all the pressuring, even in the rounds he lost.

No idea how anyone who watched the same fight i did could think Fury won it or even drew it.

Usyk was hurt a number of times in the middle rounds, its ok to admit that, he also hurt Fury in the 8th before the massive shot in the 9th,

Many pro's & people in the sport years all said going into round 8 it looked like Fury was taking the fight away from Usyk ,He doen well in 8th but realty found a way back in with the massive shot in round 9 and went on to win, Not sure why you have to pretend that was not happening ,

The whole fight hinged on the big shot in Round 9

Super fight looked forward to a rematch ,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Who said he won or drew it? I don't remember anybody outside of Fury's camp saying that.

I think the vast majority of people had it either 114-113 or 115-112 score.

• Advertisement

Yes, but I never said he wasn't hurt.

It's the exaggeration of 'badly hurt,' in 'serious trouble'….all that exaggerated nonsense.

One man was really badly hurt, and that was Fury in rd 9….that is all.

And I too saw Fury doing well in rds 4-7, and yes, I was also thinking Fury "could" pull away…..but I wasn't dumb enough to also claim that in these rds he was dominating and putting on a masterclass….he wasn't. Usyk was still very much alive and competing hard. Common sense, logic, balance; as opposed to exaggerated nonsense inflating one man's performance in 3-4 rds

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Watched it back last night with the commentary off. Usyk clear winner.

Fury did have him rocked after that uppercut in the 6th. I think he wanted to go in for the kill (remember hearing Andy Lee shouting that at him live on the night) but he different have the energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭geotrig

Thats a great little summary and pretty much shows it all… I just cant remember fury in recent times being tagged so much with good accurate shots, Fury was land real good shots rd5-6 but couldnt sustain it.

if it was one person id say fair enought but its not sinking in for you either, there was a significant number of experts who saw the first half of the fight a lot different to what you did.

Its true to say round 1-3 where very close rounds, nothing really in them, Then round 4-7 where all clearly for Fury ,

So you can see how logically it looked like Fury was gaining control ,

The first 3 sounds both lads felt each other out nether stamped authority nip & tuck rounds & then Fury in those next 4 rounds (4,5,6,7) was out boxing Usyk & clearly won each of those four rounds

All the above is true , not hyper bowl not building someone up its just what happened ,

Round 8 again was nip& tuck but yes you could have given t to Usylk but it wasn't a clear round like the previous 4,

Then the big shot in round 9 changed the fight, Round 9 was the first clear no question round to Usyk & then he pushed on from there & won ,

Lets not kid anyone Round 9 changed the fight

They saw it different score wise….no problem whatsoever…

But to then add in the gick about masterclass and dominating…..clueless.

And plenty here would agree, and plenty elsewhere. Some knowledgeable posters here in no way agree that Fury was "dominating" Usyk at midpoint, or that he was putting on a "masterclass."

Interesting one for the Fury fanatics and AJ "haters"…in 24 rds v AJ, AJ wasn't close to being as hurt (stopped) as Fury was by the blown up middle…😃

I think AJ was in similar trouble in the last 15 seconds of round 12 in the first fight after being caught by a similar left hand. The only difference was timing in that AJ only had to survive 15 seconds.

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd change it up a bit here…..bit a wind up….Never near as hurt. Poor owl Fury looked like a drunk Amir Khan doing the baby giraffe.

Advertisement