Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ah he was out on his feet, staggered back to the corner if i recall?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GHendrix

The ref rang the bell early to save AJ that time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fury was hurt more without doubt, But at the same time i don't think Aj would have lasted another round,

Usyk is hurting these lads not because of his punch power but because of his foot game, they are knackered,

I think its the reason he doesn't knock them over ,

I always remember Bellew saying his knock out loss against Usyk didn't feel the same as the one against Adonis Stevenes

Steven's was from sheer punch power where Usyk he could feel it coming because he was becoming exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AJ was far more awake/lucid though, and even had the alertness to stick out his tongue and smile. Not close to similar.

By the way, when is AJ fighting again and who is he planning for? It’s understandable that he had a few confidence builders last year but surely he needs a good test now

• Advertisement

Agreed with all here. But if ya watch that left hook Usyk landed, twas very clean and connected heavy enough. I was impressed with Usyk’s follow ups, and if he was a proper (heavier puncher), Fury was definitely gone before referee stepped in

He’s due September v winner Dubous fight I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Lads, I don't get all this arguing.

Can we not just all agree that it was a great fight which Usyk won. Both lads showed tremendous skill, heart and grit in their own ways. Usyk is a warrior and came out on top but if both lads are fit and motivated a rematch could go either way. Both lads could make a few adjustments.

It’s not really arguing. Just posters giving their views on how they saw the fight. If we said nothing about fight and all agreed on one narrative, what’s the point in the forum really?

As long as it’s respectful and clean, differing opinions, analyses and views are good!!!

But yes, gone around in circles too much..

But almost everyone agrees on the same thing except for a round or two here or there. There is not a lot to dispute. I like discussion about fights but I think there are more interesting points to discuss.

• Advertisement

Yup….interesting one is how Fury approaches rematch.

Simple: He can try same type tactics and hope to nick a win (unlikely), or he can, as I would advise, stand ground, press forward, try push Usyk back and let hands go. Simple stuff. Usyk can still win even if Fury presses the action with forward pressure; and an added risk now for Fury is that he walks into good clean and hard Usyk shots.

I was 52-48 Usyk win Saturday. Rematch I'd be 70-30 Usyk

You know, maybe some people don't realize, but a lot of that fight was won by dogged determination, concentration and utter belief from Usyk

Took me a while to warm to Usyk as a boxer, but now and in the past couple years, he's not only my favorite boxer, but my favorite sports athlete. There's a real sense of goodness about him, to go with all his belief and talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

If one of Usyk/Fury does not want the rematch in October for whatever reason, Hearn said AJ could fight whoever of the two is ready to go. I think that's a bigger money fight than the winner of Hrgovic/Dubois IMO.

I don’t disagree with any of that. I’m normally a big Fury fan but on Saturday I was just looking forward to the fight and was not rooting for one over the other. Yes Usyk has won many of his fights on sheer doggedness and willpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

19 and a half weeks to the rematch (hopefully)

I can't imagine fury coming in any better shape than that

What are his options, 1-Try the same again, maybe try to save a bit more for the second half of the fight

2-Gamble on his tank running out earlier and try to take usyk out in the first half of the fight,

3-Spoil, jab and grab, then lean on him (i half expected that this time)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭geotrig

when do they have until they confirm a rematch. really think fury prefers the thoughs of aj over Usyk.

I expected 2 &3 to happen this time , was convinced fury was going to go all out I 1st round, instead he looked off and awkward also expected him to spoil a lot during the fight more but maybe Usyks movement was too much , don't think fury has the stamina to outlast usyk but usyk does seem to be tiring a bit more these days.Also

Apparently Fury has just confirmed he wants the rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hrgovic is a long time waiting as the mandatory challenger for the IBF title. He deserves the first shot.

Why would either of them want to fight anybody else with the huge money they'll get for a rematch.

Honestly if I was Usyk I'd be letting Fury win the next fight to get an even more ridiculous payday for the rubber match.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Interesting take. You are right in that fury came in lighter for this fight and Usyk outboxed and out worked him (Fury did have a good 12th round to be fair)

Maybe he comes in heavy like Wilder II, and tries to get Usyk out of there early.

I honestly think a heavier Fury ( in the 270s) at this stage career would be a lumbering slob. I think Usyk handles a heavier Fury better. 260 is still 40 lbs heavier. I mean, if he can’t use that weight to his advantage, I can’t see 15-20 added lbs making any difference, other than making him slower.

• Advertisement

The most important change has to be to stay off the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

frank warren said nothing has been confirmed officially an he has told fury to take some time with his family and let him know when he is ready and he wont be pushing him either way

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

I don’t think this thought will even cross either man’s mind. Both hugely wealthy. No need at all to “throw” a fight, and lose because a third fight gets them “more money.”

Both men are winners. It’s what drives these people. Fury has money he’ll never even spend, and Usyk has plenty plenty money.

Bit silly really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Looking back Usyk also had many more power shots and much better quality of connection. Fury was all about the underarm. He’s such a strong man that this can be devastating but it got readable and Usyk could parry well and cushion with his gloves. Took serious balls from Usyk to stand in the fire every single round while the giant retreated. Whoever had it that Fury landed more was on glue. I saw those stats up to the mid point and wondered how they could be right.

Fury will have to engage he can’t hope to nick it or catch Usyk with a big shot. I think that gives both of them a better chance of a KO. Very little has to go Fury’s way for him to stop Usyk.

On the comparisons I think a few saw it coming that Fury hasn’t got the same steam. Finding the obvious weaknesses in Wilder was one thing but he’s done nothing since and thats 3 years ago. Joshua vs Usyk wasnt a whole lot better. Wider points I think is fair and in both fights Joshua was well beaten up. Not much in it. That’s also an excellent fight if it were made. Fury needs to avenge this to be considered the man of his era he likely needs to beat AJ too.

I finally watched the fight again and I still can’t believe that Tyson wouldn’t get off that back foot. Every time he did he deliberately stepped back again.

Very hard to fight like that without eventually getting tagged.

If he does the same again in a rematch, I’m sure the result would be the same.

Warren and Fury and Saudi looking at October…no official date, but seems it's wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I think the game changer was that punch to the nose of Fury in the 8th. You could see him visibly confused and uncomfortable after that.

• Advertisement

Yes….it sets the whole tempo and rhythm when you can press forward and push back, and for judges it shows them more that the man pressing is in more control, more confident etc.

I am not saying a backward moving boxer cannot win, but it is generally more difficult, as well as less appealing looking to judges.

One criterion for judging is effective aggression. Usyk had fair bit of that. Fury had very little of it

Fight 2 Fury needs to try give away a lot less ground, and needs to be more offensively assertive

Advertisement