Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

ibf have now confirmed Dubois as usyks new mandatory after his win against hrgovic, with dubois now in talks with Aj they are undecided if that fight will be for the full title or if Usyk v fury 2 will be for undisputed again

The internet isn’t for everyone

good angle of the Zhang v wilder ending

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7usSsAObWM/?igsh=MWZsMXA2bmhlZmdrdQ==

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Unbelievable that Usyk can win undisputed and then have it taken away from him within a couple of weeks. I get the whole rematch after rematch idea but he didn’t even get a countdown.

Winning it is the main thing, hanging onto it was never the plan because of the rematch the winner can’t take care of mandatory fights

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ultimately what does it matter. The IBF want to give their belt to someone else, everyone knows Usyk is the no. 1. It'll be impossible to keep 4 sanctioning bodies happy for any length of time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Dubois is a really bad version of young AJ with less skills, he is like the completely unpolished version ,
    AJ will murder him in 3 rounds or under ,

AJ has all Dubois strengths but does them better & then has more on top of that

would the dubois we saw at the weekend go 12 rounds with Franklin ? I do t think so
    dubois isn’t the finished article and still young and finding his feet, with don Charles he may turn a corner, he has age power and speed and I think it will be a good test for both fighters

Dubois has nothing to lose and that can make a dangerous fighter, granted he will be an outsider but he was against hrgovic too

I suppose that undisputed is only a fleeting thing anyway. The idea is that two lads can’t hog the belts with rematches and trilogies etc in order to give more boxers a chance to compete for a belt or belts. I get the theory but fellas who potentially would be avoided are avoided anyway like Ortiz or Zhang for instance. Anyhow lineal champ might be the more relevant title.

Dubois surely would beat Franklin. He’s beaten no one. Nothing suggests to me hed beat Dubois. @yourdeadwright are we talking about the AJ who fought Gary Cornish or Wlad or the AJ who fought Franklin himself? Dubois will come to throw and I’d have no confidence in AJ that he takes it

not that it matters now with Saudi money but previously holding all the belts meant you lost a lot more of your purse so where Usyk got 5m for fighting dubois how much would he have paid out for the three belts and now a fourth

• Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The first incarnation of AJ , Dubois is a bad version of that,

I also think Dubois takes getting hit worse than Aj does,

I just can't see any way for him to beat AJ ,

• Advertisement

Aj was deemed to be too big and strong for Usyk until he lost over 24 rounds

Klitch on his last legs anded him on his arse

Ruiz sent him to space

Aj didn’t do anything against Franklin

The heavyweight division is one where anything can happen

• Registered Users Posts: 38,122 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fury always claimed to be the lineal champ so Usyk can use that title now and the belts won't matter. He's the undisputed champ and as long as he defends it against the best he'll remain undisputed in the eyes of the world.

the last lineal champ was Marciano (OK, just checked and Marciano wasn't the first to retire). If you want to go back to the last undisputed, it's Lewis who also retired as champ, so Fury's claim is dubious, particularly when he effectively retired for several years after beating Wlad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Joshua inside 6 for me. Fair play to Dubois for rebuilding himself but Hergovic hit him at will early in the fight. Joshua hits him that clean and often it only ends one way. Dubois still can't get out of the way of a jab either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

who did fury beat to become lineal champion ? Klitch wasn’t lineal champion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭normanoffside

good video here of the history of the lineal championship. There were many times in the past where the lineal champion retired and the Mythical crown was later passed on when the next two best recognised contenders met.

Wlad was named lineal champ by the transnational boxing board a couple of years before he fought Fury. Fury held the title until it was awarded to Klitschko after he beat Joshua but Fury still claimed it as he was unbeaten. So the fight between Usyk and Fury confirmed it with no doubt who the lineal champ is.

the manager of Usyk challenged fury on stage and asked how he became champion because klitchko told him he wasn’t lineal champion when they met and fury wouldn’t reply

well, whether he was or not (and it's going to be subjective), he's definitely not now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,418 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I had to read that three times myself, he put him on his arse maybe that counts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think you mean Usyk not Klitschko?

Usyk was awarded the ring title after he beat Joshua as Fury had 'retired' again and the ring mag called his bluff. Fury still had the lineal title until he lost it to Usyk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A reinvigorated Wladimir Klitschko is what Joshua faced. A man going to have one last role of the dice and try his damdest to get his belts back.

A 41 year old who had minded himself all his career and consistently stayed in serious shape. In a redemption fight about a year and a half after losing his belts.

This notion that Klitschko was wheeled out like Larry Holmes was for Tyson is completely wrong in my opinion.

The man Fury and Joshua faced was a very similar physical specimen. If anything the one Joshua faced may have been in a better place mentally, nothing to lose yet plenty of confidence in your abilities.

so Eddie Hearn said if the ibf title in on tbe line then Aj will likely fight Dubois next bit of it’s only the interim then they will look at other options like Parker or Zhang

i will be interested to see how Anderson gets on with Bakole and Andy ruiz v juicer miller should be a good slug fest

full card here

looks like Usyk will drop down a weight class, not sure I believe that

Those are some good fights in August. Anderson will show if he’s gonna be at the top end of things or not.

Can’t see Usyk going to CW again. If he wins the rematch I’d say that could be that, nothing left to do

• Advertisement

Who is there left for Usyk to fight? It wouldn't surprise me if he moved back down.

Advertisement