Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

an athlete will often have to convince themselves they performed better than they did to push on in training for the next test, if you let failure creep in then you have doubts and you end up screwed

In boxing we have seen this and we end up with gun shy fighters

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 55,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, but not by bullshitting and dissing a man you clearly lost to. Eazy fight my arse. Fury’s an absolute flute.

so his excuses to date: The Ukraine war and having too much fun

I know what Fury said. And I have called BS on it. Labeling a man who beat him as an amateur.

Not sure what you're saying here, other than repeating what he said. Seems you are trying to imply that his mixing fun with work cost him. That is bull

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya have to agree with you, all boxers I heard said Usyk clearly won the fight. The latest being Barry Mcguigan who had the Ukrainian the clear winner and is convinced that he will stop Fury in the rematch. Fury can be a clown sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

Usyk beat Fury in more ways than one.

He was stoic in the build up while Fury was manic.

Usyk was better prepared with a better gameplan.

Usyk showed more power and aggression.

Usyk hit Fury at will, despite the idiotic rope a dope antics from Fury that absolutely no one enjoyed.

Usyk was stumped for a few rounds and Fury couldn't capitalise. He absolutely should have went for the KO in the 6th after the uppercut landed. When Fury was hurt Usyk took advantage and nearly stopped him.

Fury now has the Ngannou debacle and Usyk loss on his mind now so I'm not one bit surprised to see him talking bs.

I don't see Fury beating Usyk but I'd love for Fury to do it. As a neutral I want to see the 2 best fight each other 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭geotrig

Id agree, except on wanting to see this a 3rd time. Even if fury wins just leave it at 1all and be done with it ,dont think i could take his **** talk any longer !!

Post edited by geotrig on

Fury starting to sound like sour grapes Wilder these days!! Hopefully Usyk knocks him out in December.

James Toney has hit out at Anthony Joshua for his recent opponents, Toney said he needs to grow some balls and fight some real heavyweights amid speculation the Dubois fight is due to be announced

what a melt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,368 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Backing up to the ropes was Fury's problem. When they were both in the middle of the ring Tyson was winning easily.

So it's a ptetty simple game plan, stay off the ropes and you win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

He was in his bollox winning easily when he was in the middle of the ring.

People will always have different opinions in a fight and once their minds are made up it’s impossible to change

That’s what makes the sport so interesting and causes so much debate at times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭geotrig

I had it as USYK wining,but I also agree with this ,when Fury wasn't on the ropes he won those rounds, but i don think its as easy as saying keep off the ropes , Usyks leg work, movement and constant chasing him caused him these issues ,I expected Fury to go all out in the 1st 2 rounds which he didn't to assert some dominance. saying he was having too much fun is just Furys mind games and probably the best way for his mind to deal with it , but either way we all saw it and Fury looked the most troubled and hurt that I ever remember him in any of his fights.

doing the wanker motion while laughing to the crowd was funny until he got smashed in the face

• Registered Users Posts: 20,750 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People love to talk nonsense after fights,

The fight was super close

If Usyk doesn't get the 10 /8 & its a 10/9 we have a different winner, Can't get closer than that

Let them go again ,

A massive worry for Fury is he seems to be getting hurt in every fight now , So may take less next time out,

In a strange way nobody has ever found it so easy against Fury as Usyk did but nobody has found it so easy against Usyk as Fury did , Hardest fight of there pro carers both men ,

I think you do tbh. You're ignoring Usyk's excellent countering which took place many times in the centre of the ring and allowed him to get inside and then push fury back to the ropes. The notion Fury was willingly on the ropes anytime he was is false.

Rd7 is a perfect example of this and was a turning point for Usyk after the pressure of rd5 and rd6. But it happened throughout the fight.

absolute pony to suggest in the middle of ring Fury winning “easily.”

But I will say that for Fury to do better in fight 2 he needs to stop getting pushed back. He needs to try own the flow, force Usyk back and be more the boss on offence

You’re basing the “super close” purely on official cards, which yes, super close.

But for most people Usyk a clear and well-deserved winner. He won in every area/category. Fury had moments of success, but not near enough in comparison to Usyk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,750 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What most people think doesn't matter, its about winning or even stealing rounds i the eyes of judges, The fight was decided on one 10-8 round,

The big difference is Usyk now knows he can hurt and stop Fury.

Any HW can hurt and stop another. It’s not like Usyk didn’t believe in himself before this fight. Those expecting a re-run I think will get a surprise. Fury will have to box differently he has to go to try to win it

He had some success in the middle of the room Ng but all his problems were there. If Tyson stays in the middle it gives him his best chance to win. And a lot of the time Fury backed up to the ropes with no real pressure on him instead of dancing around and throwing a couple of soft jabs to maintain the distance.

Just to be clear I had Usyk down for a 115-112 win. I'm not suggesting that it was very close but Fury definitely won the battle in the middle of the ring. He definitely lost badly on the ropes.

Fury has some “neck” saying he has to knock Usyk out to get the win. Chap almost stole a win last month from that poor scoring. If anything, it’s Usyk who has to clearly win to get the result.

I'd agree broadly with that. I took issue with the easily descriptor, I think that was an exaggeration.

I firmly believe the elephant in the room is Fury's conditioning and gas tank. Always been excellent for a man his size but he's done himself no favours with his lifestyle and father time is catching him. He needs these breathers in fights imo. Clinching, using the ropes whatever.

He can afford to take them against most opponents. But Usyk is different. He couldn't be clinched easily as he's too technically adept at the subtleties of inside fighting and he was happy to pursue fury when he tried to escape to the ropes.

He said he wouldn't leave him alone and he was true to his word.

Usyk took Fury's best shots and stood up to them. He did hurt him but was never wobbled or looked in serious trouble.

That has to be a big boost to Usyk and conversely a massive worry for Fury. He now knows that the little man can stop him.

• Advertisement

Intriguing fight….and because if Fury decides to go for it and be a boss it will be great to see how Usyk responds

Advertisement