Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Morrison J wrote: »
    Terms agreed for Joyce v Dubois. Fair play to both if it happens.

I think that’s a fantastic match up!! Any info on tickets? I’d love to go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Joyce confirmed with Queensberry, first fight will be on the BJS undercard.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Joyce v Dubois wont be until at least September then given Joyce will have a warm up May 18th. Winner/Losers to fight Hughie Fury and Gorman probably December/Jan. Interesting Joyce has basically turned down EBU title against Kabayal who's highly ranked.

AJ will fight Ruiz to keep Hunter on May 25th card. People won't be happy but hardly AJ's fault.

July 20th will probably see Price Allen and hopefully Chisora v Parker/Povektin and winners should face each other.

Assuming Aj, Wilder, Fury, Whyte, wins where do they all go next

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Throw Usyk into the mix too, and perhaps even a Klitschko comeback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I thought the Wilder Fury fight was the beginning of a new era for the division, never would have thought the 3 of them would be fighting absolute bums in their next fights.

• Advertisement

USYK is in the mix definitely as is essentially AJ's mandatory. Can't see USYK getting fight this year for some reason. Pulev is also Mandatory and he won't fight anyone of note until AJ.

Povektin will probably be USYK next opponent Sept/Oct and will then retire when he loses. Takam will be gone after USYK too I would beleive.

Dunno where ortiz and Parker fit into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

ACAguy wrote: »
    USYK is in the mix definitely as is essentially AJ's mandatory. Can't see USYK getting fight this year for some reason. Pulev is also Mandatory and he won't fight anyone of note until AJ.

Povektin will probably be USYK next opponent Sept/Oct and will then retire when he loses. Takam will be gone after USYK too I would beleive.

Dunno where ortiz and Parker fit into it.

How is a guy who's never fought at heaveyweight a mandatory for a heaveyweight title?

How is a guy who's never fought at heaveyweight a mandatory for a heaveyweight title?

WBO rules according to Hearn back in January.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/boxing/news/12183/11614444/oleksandr-usyk-should-become-anthony-joshuas-wbo-mandatory-challenger-if-he-moves-to-heavyweight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Could be wrong but I think there's a rule somewhere that he could have got a crack at Joshua right away when he was still a CW due to some WBA undisputed rule. I remember hearing something like that but again I could be mistaken.

Hopefully Usyk sources a solid full time trainer soon, he'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Angliru wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I think there's a rule somewhere that he could have got a crack at Joshua right away when he was still a CW due to some WBA undisputed rule. I remember hearing something like that but again I could be mistaken.

Hopefully Usyk sources a solid full time trainer soon, he'll need it.

Isn't he with papa Loma?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Morrison J wrote: »
    Terms agreed for Joyce v Dubois. Fair play to both if it happens.

Is this happening? Hugely risky imo for Dubois. He needs rounds, I wouldn't be pushing Joyce on him quite yet.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Isn't he with papa Loma?

Not a full-time arrangement as far as I am aware unless that has changed recently. Lomachenko seemed to only stand in his corner for some of his fights and his focus is still just on training his son.

Sanchez has split with GGG, wonder would usyk go with him.

Isn't he with papa Loma?

Far as I’m aware he is yea

Is this happening? Hugely risky imo for Dubois. He needs rounds, I wouldn't be pushing Joyce on him quite yet.

Big risk for both of them I think it’s brilliant. Have a suspicion for Dubois to get the first big hit in and that could be all it takes

Just saw online that Millar won’t face any ban due to his license being about to expire. Weird.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Just saw online that Millar won’t face any ban due to his license being about to expire. Weird.

I'd imagine if that's the case he'll have an issue when reapplying for a license but it sounds mad that be still wouldn't get a ban.

ASOT wrote: »
    I'd imagine if that's the case he'll have an issue when reapplying for a license but it sounds mad that be still wouldn't get a ban.

Yea I’m not sure. Reminds me of Tyson Fury didn’t he apply for an Irish one? Millar will be eligible to apply and most likely get a retrospective ban

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

He had 10 uninspiring ones against kevin Johnson.

That said imo it's an equally risky fight for both.

Foy Joyce I get this fight. He's already stepped up (to an extent) with Stivern and he did well so he wants to continue in this type of opponent. Dubois is very untested and there's this rumour going around that he floored AJ in sparring so there's a risk for Joyce. But it's at the point where he should be taking risks - he's not a kid and if he has designs on the big prizes then he needs to be making noises very soon. He's nearly 34. He surely needs to be beating the likes of Hughie, Parker, Pulev or Povetkin to be a realistic contender. He could avoid Whyte (if he wanted) if Whyte gets his shot and is ko'ed. Similar for Pulev. A lot of this will take about 18 months to get through so by then he's over 35 and that's all depending on him winning this fight, should it happen. I think Dubois fancies himself here. We'd find out if one or either of them can really take a hit too. He would have more options and time should he win. It would be a great match up. I can see it going wrong though. Either of them drives across Nathan Gorman for me.

Meanwhile I've seen that Ortiz has turned down $5m to fight AJ. Headscratcher that one if true.

• Advertisement

I think we will see Dubois and Gorman next and Joyce and that European Champion. Dubios fighting this weekend

The only reason Ortiz is turning down the AJ fight is he is on the juice and wasn't going to be tested for next fight he was having.

Been watching some stuff from this guy:

Looks and fights a little like David Price although far more vicious and polished. His uppercut is obscene, f*cking obscene. I get the impression he can take a hell of a punch too. His resume is obviously fairly weak although his power is really showing through. He'd a great come from behind KO victory against Mihai Nistor in the WSB back in the day, the same guy who gave Usyk a great fight, has beaten the likes of Tony Yoka and Clemente Russo and stopped a young Joshua. Hard to gauge Heavyweights but there's a few of these new breed of Eastern European monsters coming through who could f*ck sh*t up. Uzbekistan have a few monsters slowly making their way through the rankings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Apologies I had to edit my previous post where I said Tony Thompson instead of Kevin Johnson. (I'm forever mixing those two up)
    Foy Joyce I get this fight. He's already stepped up (to an extent) with Stivern and he did well so he wants to continue in this type of opponent. Dubois is very untested

I would rate the stiverne Joyce fought as on par or maybe even worse than Kevin Johnson.
    Stiverne hasn't been in any sort of shape the last 4 years.

I'd go for the opinion that both Joyce and Dubois are both pretty untested in their pro careers.

Apologies I had to edit my previous post where I said Tony Thompson instead of Kevin Johnson. (I'm forever mixing those two up)

I would rate the stiverne Joyce fought as on par or maybe even worse than Kevin Johnson.
    Stiverne hasn't been in any sort of shape the last 4 years.

I'd go for the opinion that both Joyce and Dubois are both pretty untested in their pro careers.

Ha! I do the same thing!! Didn’t even notice!

Yea no arguments with that. The fact that it took a supposedly hard hitter 6 rounds to dispose of stiverne is concerning. I think Dubois has the edge here. Hoping against hope it gets made for July.

Angliru wrote: »
    Been watching some stuff from this guy:

Looks and fights a little like David Price although far more vicious and polished. His uppercut is obscene, f*cking obscene. I get the impression he can take a hell of a punch too. His resume is obviously fairly weak although his power is really showing through. He'd a great come from behind KO victory against Mihai Nistor in the WSB back in the day, the same guy who gave Usyk a great fight, has beaten the likes of Tony Yoka and Clemente Russo and stopped a young Joshua. Hard to gauge Heavyweights but there's a few of these new breed of Eastern European monsters coming through who could f*ck sh*t up. Uzbekistan have a few monsters slowly making their way through the rankings too.

Just took a look through that video and did a bit of a check on him. Seems to have decent amateur credentials as well. At 29 and pro for 10 years it would soon be time for him to fight in 10 and 12 rounders against live opponents though? Mark de Mori had a few flashy looking kos as well and he was an utter can. Hadn't the size either to be fair. Still though, when the fight is waved off before the gumshield has landed it's impressive!

Anyone know if Daniel Dubois fight is on tv tomorrow night?

Anyone know if Daniel Dubois fight is on tv tomorrow night?

It's on BT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

ACAguy wrote: »

The only reason Ortiz is turning down the AJ fight is he is on the juice and wasn't going to be tested for next fight he was having.

100%

ASOT wrote: »
    It's on BT.

Possibly will see the Joyce fight announced tonight then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Possibly will see the Joyce fight announced tonight then?

Hopefully so but I doubt it. I saw on twitter today that Joyce's manager said the fight is not confirmed.

• Advertisement

What you guys make of Ortiz team admitting blame for negotiations breaking down? Complete hoax imo

Advertisement