Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

At least aj has an excuse that Ruiz wasnt their first choice.

Wilder will probably fight Ortiz, Kowanakci in his next 2 fights which I assume will be September and January.

AJ has options of Whyte, Pulev, Usyk.

Chisora will face Kuzmin/ Povektin.

That leaves Parker as probably Furys only next credible opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

ACAguy wrote: »
    At least aj has an excuse that Ruiz wasnt their first choice.

Wilder will probably fight Ortiz, Kowanakci in his next 2 fights which I assume will be September and January.

AJ has options of Whyte, Pulev, Usyk.

Chisora will face Kuzmin/ Povektin.

That leaves Parker as probably Furys only next credible opponent

Wilder has fought Ortiz and Fury back to back to of the top guys ,
    Fury fought Wilder after a two year lay off that takes balls

AJ biggest fight to date was against a 42 year old who spent two years retired and lost his previous fight ,

Interesting point but AJ does have a longer list of credible opponents.

Furys record is Wilder draw, Klitschko, Chisora

Wilders is Fury draw, Ortiz, Stiverne, Molina,

Aj has Whyte, Breazeale, Molina, Takam, Wlad, Parker, Povektin,

AJ also turned professional 5 years after Fury/Wilder. Took them bought 7 years to fight for a world title. AJ did it in 2.5

Interesting point but AJ does have a longer list of credible opponents.

Furys record is Wilder draw, Klitschko, Chisora

Wilders is Fury draw, Ortiz, Stiverne, Molina,

Aj has Whyte, Breazeale, Molina, Takam, Wlad, Parker, Povektin,

AJ also turned professional 5 years after Fury/Wilder. Took them bought 7 years to fight for a world title. AJ did it in 2.5

Eddie Hearn said publicly AJ was a year or two away from a title shot and then the title was vacated and Charles Martin won it ( who is awful ) then all of a sudden the title fight was made , He won it and went so fair play to him , don't forget he had a much better Amateur career than Fury or Wilder who learned the game as pro's n the job, AJ learned a lot from the GB team ,

Takam, Molina , are a journey men not top level ,
    Parker was a champion but he struggled with Hugey Fury and Whyte since
    Whyte himself was very green back then
    AVP is well past it and off the juice ,
    Wlad was 42 retired 2 years coming off a loss,
    Haven't seen much of Breazeale,

The division is so light if your not fighting the top 3 or 4 there almost gimmies

The division is better than when Wlad was just knocking over people.

I think AJ and Fury both beat Wilder.

The only people to trouble them are probably USYK and White. Ortiz is 40 but will probably get another crack at Wilder lose and then retire.

AJ only took up boxing when Fury and Wilder were pros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

There's the top three and then a fair step down to the likes of Ortiz and Whyte. For this reason the CVs of the top three are all light looking. Wilder and Fury have fought one another which gives them some credit too. Let's suppose for a moment that Wilder koed Fury early on in that fight - then it would be leveled at him that he beat a fat guy who took two years out, in much the same way the Wlad argument is put to AJ. Of all of them I find Fury the more colorful and entertaining character so I tend to hope he will win. They are all fighting fairly meaningless fights and I can allow for that as I previously stated, if it's after a really hard fight. A good point raised today also if they are very active.
    So Wilder and Fury get a by ball from me here. AJ is 6-8 months into making a fight and the best we're going to get is a Ruiz stand in who looks in much worse shape than Stiverne. AJ will crucify him. It's a nothing fight. What gets me is that it will be billed as this huge spectacle and the punters will be robbed again. In HW boxing it just isn't much good if one guy is utterly outmatched. That's why I've got more interest in the Price Allen bout because you can make a genuine case for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

For me the big thing is inactivity as stated above.

AJ hasn't fought since last September, that's 9 months without a fight!
    He is 29 and only 22 fights.
    Fury is not much better.
    At least Wilder has over 40 fights albeit the vast majority against nobodies.

Yup that's the infuriating thing for me as well. It kills momentum. A problem for me is that there are three elite fighters who all have a claim to be the man yet they aren't meeting. I'm frustrated that they don't go on ahead and do it and I could see the fights not happening. It would be nice to get to see the best vs the best. I guess, though it's a long-standing problem - Look how long it took for Tyson to fight Lewis, then the Bowe fight didn't even happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fans need to vote with their wallets. No way I'm getting the Joshua or Fury fights in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Fans need to vote with their wallets. No way I'm getting the Joshua or Fury fights in.

I'll watch Joshua fight since he's fighting on us soil ...

Love to see Povetkin come back

• Advertisement

Povektin is 40 I see him getting fed to Usyk then retiring

Ruiz is ranked 12th overall but yes AJ will destory him because he's that good.

Fury will probably just win 120-108 and it will be boring.

Pulev is ranked no 9 in 5 years hes beaten Chisora and Hughie fury hes just sitting around for AJ

Assuming AJ, Whyte, Fury, Wilder all win by July 20th who will they all face next

Pulev is ranked no 9 in 5 years hes beaten Chisora and Hughie fury hes just sitting around for AJ

Assuming AJ, Whyte, Fury, Wilder all win by July 20th who will they all face next

I agree on AP.
    Fury assertion is spot on too. His style isn’t really to go for ko. That’s what got him in trouble vs wilder. Save the kd I thought he won 12th round well.
    Beating hughie was good but he’s over the hill too. Much like ap being fed to Usyk that’ll happen with him and aj. If he gets the fight, next?
    Ah I’m sure they’ll unearth some bums to take on in the fight of the century

For the next 2/3 years anyway I can't see an opponent outside of next 3 fights Whyte/Usyk/Pulev then Wilder/Fury then after that probably who ever emerges out of Joyce and Dubious assuming they beat Gorman and H fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭megadodge

Careful now!

Don't you know this is an Anti Joshua thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Usyks injured so the Takam fights postponed.

ASOT wrote: »

I’d guess Takam will fight hunter, povektin, hrgovic

Dubois vs Gorman is made for July 13. Good fight. Dubois too strong I think though

Will be a hard one to call but you are probably right.

I hope Joyce fights Kabyael and not a bum. No point in him chasing Dubious or Gorman at 33 years of age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

ASOT wrote: »

Disappointed to hear this as it was one I was looking forward to given it was gonna be just down the road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The WBC have ordered Fury to fight Whyte in an eliminator to be Wilder's mandatory.
    Fury now saying he wants three fights and then call it quits. Still you can't believe what comes out of his mouth a lot of the time.

• Advertisement

The WBC have ordered Fury to fight Whyte in an eliminator to be Wilder's mandatory.
    Fury now saying he wants three fights and then call it quits. Still you can't believe what comes out of his mouth a lot of the time.

I can't see him wanting to fight Whyte to fight Wilder (who he beat already ) , I just can't see Fury taking it ,

I see Fury having tune up fight like his next one or the two big one's AJ , Wider , Can't see him fighting the Whyte's of this world, Basically staying clear of guys who can cause him trouble but are not massive names,

AJ v Fury winner fights Wilder v Whyte winner

I can't see him wanting to fight Whyte to fight Wilder (who he beat already ) , I just can't see Fury taking it ,

I see Fury having tune up fight like his next one or the two big one's AJ , Wider , Can't see him fighting the Whyte's of this world, Basically staying clear of guys who can cause him trouble but are not massive names,

I think you're are right he won't face Whyte for that reason, but i don't see Whyte causing Fury too many problems if they did fight. Fury will have two tune ups fights then face Wilder early next year- assuming neither man loses in the mean time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How do you think Whyte would cause Fury problems? I think that'd be a ridiculously one sided fight in Furys favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Why would Fury possibly be wanting 2 tune up fights, I don't get it?...He had 2 of these, then fought wilder...Surely after this Tune up fight he will want to go straight for Wilder/Joshua...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

...Why would Fury possibly be wanting 2 tune up fights, I don't get it?...He had 2 of these, then fought wilder...Surely after this Tune up fight he will want to go straight for Wilder/Joshua...

You would think so after all it is Tyson I'll fight any man for any money Fury.

But seemingly this isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I would imagine it's Top Rank/ESPN calling the shots and protecting their 80 million investment. They can't have Fury losing straight off the deal they gave him. Makes sense they build him with a couple of easy fights before throwing him in a big PPV fight to make the most return on their investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Rip to the great Harold Lederman. His voice and knowledge made fights that much better

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Rip to the great Harold Lederman. His voice and knowledge made fights that much better

Indeed he did. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Fury saying today that he accepts the Whyte fight.

• Advertisement

He just signed a huge tv deal ,

They will want two gimme fights to build him up make zero sense for them to give there big investment a 50/50 fight out the gate,

As crap as it is for fans it makes total business sense

Advertisement