Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

ASOT wrote: »
    Chris Norrad. Undefeated Canadian :pac:

For another few hours

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Think it's going to be the middle of next year before we see some fights. If it doesn't happen then they may as well retire the top three. They are running out of bums to fight. Outside the top three the division is piss poor. Whyte is poor imo. He's complaining of not being no1 to wilder when he's being fighting bums himself. When Joshua beat Wladmir the division was starting to hot up. Now is static just waiting for something to happen. I'd actually like to see wilder or joshua beat before it happens just to see them not get the pay day as the messing about is just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

squinn2912 wrote: »
    For another few hours

Well he is ranked up there at 11th on boxrec!

11th in Canada that is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Well he is ranked up there at 11th on boxrec!

11th in Canada that is

Records as padded as a room in a mental asylum. Hughies says he's going to fight aggressive, in fairness in the last fight against pulev when he got that cut and it looked like the doctor would stop it he fount well on the offensive for a round or two. I'll watch it anyway but I'm not expecting much. I met him last year at Parklife he's a really nice lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Hughie Fury fighting tonight on Channel 5 against some Canadian

Norrad is so bad he makes Hughie look like Earnie Shavers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

That was awful

Jesus that was brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

whole thing was so low budget in every respect....but its encouraging to see live boxing on another channel...i'm all for more small hall shows on telly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Filip Hrgovic is still the best prospect in the division for me. First round KO tonight. Hopefully takes a step up sooner rather than later.

dougm1970 wrote: »
    whole thing was so low budget in every respect....but its encouraging to see live boxing on another channel...i'm all for more small hall shows on telly

Awful fight. Waste of time

• Advertisement

Wilder vs Ortiz II confirmed for September.

Wilder vs Ortiz II confirmed for September.

Wilder to get the early ko this time

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Wilder to get the early ko this time

Hopefully so. It’s a stupidly risky fight for him to be taking IMO with the AJ or Fury fight around the corner.

In a way fair play to him for backing himself but I wish he’d just fight one of the two big guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

What do you guys make of the heavyweight scene at the moment? For me it's just incomplete without Fury. I see he's flat out on instagram this week and looks like he's lost considerable weight. I can see him fighting before the end of the year and if he's hungry enough then I think he takes AJ in 2018.
    Any opinions on Parker vrs Hfury?
    I love the Wilder Ortiz fight. I think Ortiz will win that one but at last Deontay is stepping up in class and defending against a live challenger.

THe very first post on this thread and we are still talking about Wilder Ortiz 2 years later

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

Morrison J wrote: »
    Filip Hrgovic is still the best prospect in the division for me. First round KO tonight. Hopefully takes a step up sooner rather than later.

Haven't seen much of him since the Turner fight where he didnt impress me at all. Gorman had Turner out in 3 rounds. I assume hes come along since that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hopefully so. It’s a stupidly risky fight for him to be taking IMO with the AJ or Fury fight around the corner.

In a way fair play to him for backing himself but I wish he’d just fight one of the two big guys.

If Wilder knows he isn't getting AJ or Fury fight next why not fight the next best , its perfect to keep him sharp while waiting on the big fights ,

If he was sick last time out as reported I'm sure he feels this time he will get the job done quick ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

ACAguy wrote: »
    What do you guys make of the heavyweight scene at the moment? For me it's just incomplete without Fury. I see he's flat out on instagram this week and looks like he's lost considerable weight. I can see him fighting before the end of the year and if he's hungry enough then I think he takes AJ in 2018.
    I love the Wilder Ortiz fight. I think Ortiz will win that one but at last Deontay is stepping up in class and defending against a live challenger.

THe very first post on this thread and we are still talking about Wilder Ortiz 2 years later

Fury fought a few months ago and is due to fight again in June. He's more active than Joshua in 2019.

Fury fought a few months ago and is due to fight again in June. He's more active than Joshua in 2019.

Read the end of his post. He's quoting the first post in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

So for the rest of 2019 we will get

Joshua- Knocks out Ruiz Saturday fights Pulev/Usyk in October in Cardiff. Dont see him fighting Whyte as he is not a mandatory.

Wilder- Fights Ortiz in September then can't see him fighting until at least January.

Fury- Wins 120-108 against Schwarz. I just can't see him fighting Whyte and I think he will end up fighting Parker.

Whyte- Beats Rivas in July- Fights in December against possible Povektin

Chisora- Spilika in July- Assuming he wins fights December against Price/Allen winner

Usyk- Debut September against Takam?

Hunter and Hrgovic possible to fight winner fights USYK

Gorman Dubois to fight July 13th winner fighting Joyce/Jennings before end of Year.

Retiring in 2019 in my opinion after losses Povektin, Ortiz, Chisora

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Except for the fact that neither of them have fought in 2019 thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I have even more respect for Wilder now. Ortiz is dangerous. Fury's next fight is against a complete unknown and AJ is fighting Ruiz. Much less risk for both of them. Fury is taking the pIss.

pac_man wrote: »
    I don't understand why this thread gets so much traction in what is really a poor division. More talk about potential fights than actual fights. Honestly, who wants to watch the top three fight Breazeale, Ruiz and Schwarz? Expect the same nonsense to go on for another year or two before they actually fight each other.

I think its a hell of a lot more interesting these days compared to the Kiltschko brothers era of dominance post Lewis, Tyson and Holyfield hanging up their gloves. Heavyweight boxing in the 90's was a golden era. There is no comparison to that.

I agree with you that the amount of journey men fights in between proper fights is ridiculous but that's the promoters lining their pockets.

AJ is the biggest offender here or should I say Eddie Hearn who for the last 4 yrs has skillfully steered AJ around any really threatening opponents excluding Kiltschko who was nearly 40 when they thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't think AJ will get away with another gimme fight, or another 9 months between fights. With Wilder and Ortiz now tied up, he's in a difficult position.

I don't think AJ will get away with another gimme fight, or another 9 months between fights. With Wilder and Ortiz now tied up, he's in a difficult position.

The way the Wilder v Fury fight went was bad news for him, it raised both there stock and both got credit for fighting each other,

Him fighting Miller was bad enough but now its some worse bum the public may be getting a tired of the nonsense,

You seen the reaction when he entered the ring to Whyte no one cared , there was even boo's ir took AJ and Hearn by surprise.

I have even more respect for Wilder now. Ortiz is dangerous. Fury's next fight is against a complete unknown and AJ is fighting Ruiz. Much less risk for both of them. Fury is taking the pIss.

I can understand Fury position he basically fought Wilder straight off the bat which was very brave and took one hell of a brain rattling late on ,

I think for his own good he was right not to take a tuff fight right away, I know he got up but i'd be off the opinion when you get rocked like that you should take a year off especially being a heavy weight ,

Once that chin goes its gone and best way to preserve it is resting it properly after its rattled,

Plus singing the TV deal they always wanted a gimme fight to make cash back,

I'd expect by the end of the year for him to step up and fight a live opponent again ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i see that joshua in round one is 12/1

he could want to make a statement after wilders last fight, and hes got that style that would match up against ruiz that i could imagine him landing bombs early...ruiz has very fast hands, but he's planted.

I can understand Fury position he basically fought Wilder straight off the bat which was very brave and took one hell of a brain rattling late on ,

I think for his own good he was right not to take a tuff fight right away, I know he got up but i'd be off the opinion when you get rocked like that you should take a year off especially being a heavy weight ,

Once that chin goes its gone and best way to preserve it is resting it properly after its rattled,

Plus singing the TV deal they always wanted a gimme fight to make cash back,

I'd expect by the end of the year for him to step up and fight a live opponent again ,

Don't get me wrong I had huge respect for Fury taking on Wilder after being out of boxing for 2 years. That's some serious cojones. I think a lot of people forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dougm1970 wrote: »
    i see that joshua in round one is 12/1

he could want to make a statement after wilders last fight, and hes got that style that would match up against ruiz that i could imagine him landing bombs early...ruiz has very fast hands, but he's planted.

i dont think joshua beats him in a round, itll be 5 or 6

ACAguy wrote: »

What idiot wrote that? Not too many correct predictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The anti- Joshua sentiment is as strong as ever on these boards! Can't understand the hate he gets. His resume is more impressive than Wilder who has fought twice as many fights yet it's AJ who is continuously slated around here for being carefully managed by Hearn.

It's pretty obvious at this stage that Joshua and Hearn want the Wilder fight and it's also pretty obvious that the Wilder camp have decided to stay away from that fight for at least another year.

AJ has been calling Wilder out all week in NY and almost definitely was going to call him out in the ring if and when he beats Ruiz this weekend. Three days before the expected call out Wilder announces he's fighting Ortiz. Convenient! I can only imagine the howls of derision towards Joshua if the situation had been reversed.

Advertisement