Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

He went from starting boxing to Olympics Gold in 5 years which is amazing but them few year on Tam GB are massive

Just on that topic Wilder went from starting boxing to Olympic Bronze in 3 years equally as crazy,

I don't thing you'd see such quick rises like that any other weight in boxing

Heavy Weight is rarely stacked with great fighters

That’s true. The higher the weight the more power makes up for lack of technique. That’s why lots of hw pros can get away with being sloppy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

squinn2912 wrote: »
    That’s true. The higher the weight the more power makes up for lack of technique. That’s why lots of hw pros can get away with being sloppy

Also there is just less high end athletic guys of that size,

Look at that states out of all there heavy weight's only Wilder looks in shape,

There is just easier ways and more money paid in other sports for these big fit blokes ,

Just look at NFL, NBA and even some baseball lads, huge and in ridicules shape ,

I think that's all over boxing, If anyone on this thread thinks back to school all the most athletic guys played soccer, Gaa and Rugby ,
    It was always just the tougher not so athletic guys who took up boxing,

Iv always said it t, he world of boxing hasn't reached it potential because at younger levels its very rare that it attracts the most athletically gifted as they are easier paths for them to make more money ,

Obviously there are some guys who break the trend,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Honestly, why do you think he announced the Ortiz fight 3 days before A.J. He’s ducking. He stands to make a fortune v AJ. He won’t get a fraction of that v Ortiz.

The fight will make even more money now in 2020. Of course there is always the risk someone loses unexpectedly in the mean time. With this in mind, If Ortiz had better conditioning, i think he would have beaten Wilder first time around. I can't see him having better conditioning second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

The fight will make even more money now in 2020. Of course there is always the risk someone loses unexpectedly in the mean time. With this in mind, If Ortiz had better conditioning, i think he would have beaten Wilder first time around. I can't see him having better conditioning second time around.

I don’t think there is going to be a drastic difference in the money they’d get this year or in 2020 and certainly not enough of a difference to warrant the risk of one of them losing by then.

Meh, I just think Wilder has been making excuse after excuse. It wasn’t that long ago he was in the UK at AJ’s fights, campaigning for a shot. He obv saw something he didn’t like.

He’s made silly demands previously, then made an unsubstantiated offer and just when you think the stars are aligning and there is nowhere else to go, he rushes out a tweet to say he’s fighting a 40+ year old again.

He’s ducking. It’s strange to me too as even though I think A.J. will beat him, I still give him a live chance with that power.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Joseph Parker signs with Matchroom 3 fight deal.

Fight 1 v Eric Molina former AJ and Wilder opponent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

what time is the weigh in for joshua v ruiz ?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

7/8 this evening id say

For God’s sake Ruiz that is ridiculous he’s enormous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Ruiz comes in at an absolute lump of lard career high weight of 268
    AJ 247

What is Ruiz playing at? He fought Dmitrenko at 262 just 6 weeks ago.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    For God’s sake Ruiz that is ridiculous he’s enormous

He's been bulking up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Ruiz comes in at an absolute lump of lard career high weight of 268
    AJ 247

What is Ruiz playing at? He fought Dmitrenko at 262 just 6 weeks ago.

I watched a few of Ruiz's last fights. I'm seeing nothing that should trouble AJ. He has a punchers chance but if he goes past 5 rounds he'll be knackered. Especially at that weight.

Ruiz at the weigh in :pac:

tumblr_mug3nupkLi1s2gg27o1_400.gif

Ruiz at the weigh in :pac:

tumblr_mug3nupkLi1s2gg27o1_400.gif

How did you get that?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Rd 6 i reckon. He looks so small compared to Joshua. Nice 3m PLUS for him fair play. Such a sad state of affairs boxing. The best three in the world working there way through bums. I just hope people turn off or one of them get beat. Joke stuff at the moment. Really don't care who's at fault as we all know they all are. Sad state of affairs. Joshua and Eddie i think now want the fight but i think previous pissed off people. I think eddie thinks he owns boxing. Saying this has to happen etc. No the money is in the usa. However i think the longer this gos on i think people wont give a ****. Im getting to that stage. JOKE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Ruizs knows hes hit the jackpot. Fair play. Body doner. Nice for 3m. Ill bet ortiz wishs he took it but may be he couldn't for other related reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Wilder says the rematch v Fury is signed for early 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Rd 6 i reckon. He looks so small compared to Joshua. Nice 3m PLUS for him fair play. Such a sad state of affairs boxing. The best three in the world working there way through bums.

I think it hit a new low this week when they announced that Wilder and Ortiz would have a rematch. A fight that literally nobody wants to see. The next fight for Wilder surely had to be either a) a rematch with Fury (particularly after the decision the last time) b) a fight with Dillian Whyte, he's earned his shot or c) a unification fight with AJ.

Seems like they are doing everything to avoid each other. Including Fury ducking Whyte.

ASOT wrote: »
    Wilder says the rematch v Fury is signed for early 2020.

Yeah disappointed at this. They've already fought. He should be fighting AJ after Ortiz. So judging from the current heavyweight fight pattern (Proper fight -- BS fight -- BS fight -- Proper fight) it could be early 2021 before Wilder and AJ share the ring.

Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Where does Joshua go now? Whyte?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Where does Joshua go now? Whyte?

Pulev...

• Advertisement

Rumours are that Fury will have a fight on the same card as Wilder vs Ortiz in September.
    I bet he fights Whyte there. Two wins over those will hype up the rematch.

What makes me laugh is they (the boxers) keep talking about whats good for the fans. Give the fans what they want. The fans have been wanting to see AJ vs Wilder since 2015 and here we are 4 years on. They definitely won't be fighting this year after wilder announced he wants to fight Fury after Ortiz. So it'll be 2020 possibly even 2021.

So come next year it will be 5 years they / their management has dragged this out for. Clearly they don't give a sh!t about 'the fans' as they keep saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Stop buying their ppv. It’s the only way to make them fight. Easier said than done though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Meh, there are thousands and thousands of Sweet Caroline singing merchants who'd buy a PPV of Joshua reciting poetry for an hour. He can fight whoever he wants and it'll sell like water in a desert simply because from a marketing POV he's been handled perfectly and has too much force behind his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

The undercard is on youtube.

wonder how much will they give us. The Tommy Coyle fight is on now. Wonder will they let us see the Buatsi fight ? Or the Callum Smith fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aoconne2

Anyone else think the camera work for the Tommy Coyle fight was poor, especially early on? Thought it was a bit all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

He needs more pop in order to make his style effective imo. Worked for Naz because he had that freakish power. Kelly ain't going anywhere fast at 147. Easily the most overrated of the Olympians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Kelly gets a majority draw. Quite lucky tbh. Scored it 6-4 Robinson myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭megadodge

Thought a draw was fair enough.
    Kelly simply doesn't throw enough punches and when he does he's not particularly accurate. No jab whatsoever, which would really occupy the opponent while he's already making him miss and also set him up for his bigger punches.
    The analysts are saying it as it is. Very fair summations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

looking forward to next 3 fights. its an excellent card

Kelly is too busy trying to look flashy evading punches, without an offensive arsenal you are nothing.

Advertisement