Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hearn saying rematch in November/December
    Love if AJ talks about retirement and forces Hearn into upping AJ's take from the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ikeano29 wrote: »
    22/1 i got with 15 on

Enjoy. I had a tentative bet too. More delighted to see that prick with lights on his hands get ko. (William hill ad)

Joshua is a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

A lot of people thought it was a dead cert he would surpass Lennox Lewis as the GOAT British Heavyweight.

Going undefeated throughout his entire career would certainly have made him that, now some doubt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Going undefeated throughout his entire career would certainly have made him that, now some doubt?

Undefeated against an awful lot of very average fighters bar one or two. If AJ comes back stronger from this i'll be the first to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aoconne2

Talk of similarity with Lewis' two ko losses, but for me this defeat bears more resemblance to Klitschko's loss to Brewster.
    At the moment I think if the same Ruiz turns up in t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Poor night for both hearn's champs. Katie has to do the rematch to put aside any questions over this 'victory' - of which there are plenty.

Joshua - oh dear. That will quieten the British press. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

AJ needs to drop McCracken too. Boxing isnt all about conditioning and Joshua isnt Carl Froch on that front.

It cant be argued now, he has a suspect chin and id say he has been buzzed in the gym hence his team are lowballing Wilder looking for lions share.

FWIW i dont think Wilder has the skill to do what Ruiz did, he set traps.

All 3 guys are vulnerable, but AJ has a suspect chin. Fury also but his recovery powers are excellent.

AJs gas tank is suspect too

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

That was coming. He's a sloppy fighter. Ruiz didnt even have to do much, Joshua gassed after 5. Once Ruiz kept his head there was no way that Joshua would last through 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

immediate rematch...in england !!.....one of the things i hate most in boxing, them rematch clauses in world title fights...they should be outlawed and its nothing short of corruption allowing them in contracts... .its unfair ruiz should be forced to go to england...joshua doesnt deserve a rematch..and whatever contender to the belts was next has to unfairly wait, or maybe ruiz v wilder....its a very wrong thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Does Ruiz get to dictate % cut for that rematch out will that be in the contract?

• Advertisement

If I was Ruiz I'd be happy with an immediate rematch. I dont think Joshua will be much better in November. If Ruiz gets back into camp in decent shape, Joshua will probably really struggle again.

Wonder if its ideal for Joshua to have hearn throwing that out there immediately. It seemed desperate and panicked.

mooreman09 wrote: »
    If I was Ruiz I'd be happy with an immediate rematch. I dont think Joshua will be much better in November. If Ruiz gets back into camp in decent shape, Joshua will probably really struggle again.

Wonder if its ideal for Joshua to have hearn throwing that out there immediately. It seemed desperate and panicked.

its besides the point though...an undeserving losing champion should not be able to dictate what fight a deserving new champion has next....its wrong thats its just an accepted thing in boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

And they said boxing was dead?

:)

dougm1970 wrote: »
    its besides the point though...an undeserving losing champion should not be able to dictate what fight a deserving new champion has next....its wrong thats its just an accepted thing in boxing.

When you think about it, its sensible business. You can claim he was undeserving but I doubt Ruiz minded signing on the dotted line.

Its fairly normal. The UK bit is unfair however.

mooreman09 wrote: »
    When you think about it, its sensible business. You can claim he was undeserving but I doubt Ruiz minded signing on the dotted line.

Its fairly normal. The UK bit is unfair however.

ok...sensible business and normal....but wrong when theres most deserving challengers for the belts.....by all means have a rematch in close fights but not as a matter of corrupt business clauses that should have no place in boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Surprised it was Ruiz that did it but Joshua was always very clearly beatable. Too hittable, doesn't react well to being hit, dodgy gas tank etc.

Wilder knocks him out too.

Like against Vlad, Joshua drops Ruiz then stupidly jumps in, gets hit and gassed himself.

He's just a flaky type of boxer.

Ruiz will probably lose the rematch but financially he is sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Do sky show replays of ppv events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Do sky show replays of ppv events?

Oh to be sure they do...9am is the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Not sure the Wilder fight will ever happen now. Its a really bad match up for Joshua. Wilder possibly the biggest puncher ever in boxing and AJ is easy to hit. Wilder has shown he can take a punch too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Oh to be sure they do...9am is the next one

You're a dinger. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Wow what an upset! And people said Usyk won't have any chance in a fight down the line :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

AJ badly found out. No chin, hardly hit, gassed, no aggression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The Nal wrote: »
    AJ badly found out. No chin, hardly hit, gassed, no aggression.

He was found out a long time ago. Didn't Ruiz would beat him but it was a matter of time. Whyte and old man Vlad had him on queer street.

The sickening thing here is the rematch will be in the UK and Joshua will still get 70/30 split even as Challenger.

Speed kills.

Anyone notice how clueless Joshua was and desperately asking McCraken what he was going to do between rounds. It was such a bizarre thing to hear from a fighter of his stature.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Said it last week and some laughed his defensive boxing is shocking ,gets away with it a lot because his arms are so big they cover him up no head movement at all

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    AJ starting to seem like a heavyweight Amir Khan...crumbles once he's hit.

you need to go a little further back
    another frank bruno

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

glasso wrote: »
    Like against Vlad, Joshua drops Ruiz then stupidly jumps in, gets hit and gassed himself.

He's just a flaky type of boxer.

Ruiz will probably lose the rematch but financially he is sorted.

vlad was over 40,thats the difference

Ah lads he did recover well against Wlad as he did against Whyte and Povetkin. He has glaring flaws and it did seem he trained very little for this fight but have show a little bit of objectivity at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Joshua was not there after what happened in Round 3.

He wasn't himself in the ring after that, in the corner he was more or less asking what was going on, I'm sure he asked and was told a couple of times what punch Ruiz had caught him with. Asking what he should do and even what Ruiz was going to do - and then going out and not doing much at all.

Advertisement