Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

Talking about him being gassed is nonsense, whatever way he was caught he was going to be plodding for the foreseeable. Good punch took him out.

From the way last night went without Joshua changing things up Ruiz beats him most of the time. Can take a punch and knows how to land and set things up.

It's a bit of a pity now that Fury/Wilder finished as a draw. Now Joshua has lost the undefeated streak he might be a bit more game. Hopefully the heavyweight division will be opened up for the next few years.

Ruiz seems like a decent guy.

Nice to see that him and his kids set for life after these fights.

Makes the other Muppet who cheated on Peds look an even bigger idiot now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

just watched the fight, the old adage it only takes one punch

after the 3rd round AJ was plodding around the ring, didn't think he would be found out against Ruiz though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

People cry about corruption in judges in fights in the US and places like Germany but Eddie Hearn has been an absolute weasel in getting his fighters the purest rub of the green in fights. The absolute state of the scorecards last night. How on earth two judges only had Ruiz up one point is beyond me never mind the cheating **** who had Joshua up a point.

I'm delighted Joshua got beat as I hate his style, hate his fake persona and hate all bull**** brainwashing sucking off that comes from Sky with that but I'm mostly thrilled that Eddie Hearn the crook has had his prized possession beaten by a tune up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Angliru wrote: »
    People cry about corruption in judges in fights in the US and places like Germany but Eddie Hearn has been an absolute weasel in getting his fighters the purest rub of the green in fights. The absolute state of the scorecards last night. How on earth two judges only had Ruiz up one point is beyond me never mind the cheating **** who had Joshua up a point.

I'm delighted Joshua got beat as I hate his style, hate his fake persona and hate all bull**** brainwashing sucking off that comes from Sky with that but I'm mostly thrilled that Eddie Hearn the crook has had his prized possession beaten by a tune up.

He's had a carefully handpicked career so far, the power rests with Wilder and Fury now. They will have to call him out after the Ruiz rematch either way or get in before a rematch is called.
    Looking at hearns interview it pained him to shake Andy's hand back stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Hopefully Ortiz beats Wilder now and puts a lot of egg on promotors/managers faces. Am sick of these fighters dodging each other for years so the "hype" can be built up.
    Eddie Hearn must be sicker than a small hospital this morning :) I actually believe Joshua would have fought Wilder by now if Hearn let him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

mooreman09 wrote: »
    When you think about it, its sensible business. You can claim he was undeserving but I doubt Ruiz minded signing on the dotted line.

Its fairly normal. The UK bit is unfair however.

thats the problem. its meant to be a sport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Same as what happened against Whyte. Was getting careless in trying to finish the opponent and got caught with a left hook. I'm not sure AJ's chin is as good other heavyweights, be worried if Wilder hit him at all.

Fair play to Ruiz, seems like a nice guy. Doesn't give a damn about people saying he doesn't look right for a boxer. He had the belief, got put on the ground and came right back and put AJ on his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

The only thing you've gotten wrong is his persona ..he's a good and humble lad who showed more class in defeat than a hell of a lot of other boxers.
    He'll pick himself up and hopefully come back s better tactician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

banie01 wrote: »
    Jesus!
    Heavyweight boxing and the faux humility on show by AJ here is all raising my cynical hackles!
    It's really starting to look scripted.
    AJ goes stateside, loses and appears magnanimous in defeat and raises his profile hugely.
    Exercises immediate rematch clause with fight on homeground and huge PPV potential with the additional bonus of hugely boosting interest in the HW division...

Would be a very Hearne move ;)

Fully agree. Stevie Wonder could see that it was 100% staged. And pressure is off now for Joshua to fight Fury and Wilder. Could also be that the Sinaloa Cartel are backing Ruiz and gave Eddie $50m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Fully agree. Stevie Wonder could see that it was 100% staged. And pressure is off now for Joshua to fight Fury and Wilder. Could also be that the Sinaloa Cartel are backing Ruiz and gave Eddie $50m.

Jesus Christ I hope ye are joking. No one gets beaten up like that on purpose

Jim Corr was on the radio there saying the same thing.

Erik Shun wrote: »
    The only thing you've gotten wrong is his persona ..he's a good and humble lad who showed more class in defeat than a hell of a lot of other boxers.

Nah he's fake as **** and has every public word written for him by an expansive media team. Has the personality of glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

glasso wrote: »

Jim Corr was on the radio there saying the same thing.

You must taking the absolute piss there is no way it was scripited , He got by the better man ,
    you could tell in the corner he didnt know what was haping at one stage he was sking McCrakin what is he going to do like a novice becaise his head was rattled

Erik Shun wrote: »

Whyte knew AJ growing up and has constantly said his persona is fake ,
    Even goes as far as callimg hin Big Femmie his street name ,

Its not just AJ either Hearn and sky cleaned up Whytes imagine and persona and also Bellews , these guys are different people than you see in from of camera ,

Bellew is a sky darling now but he is roughs they come, youtube his missus and her homophobic slurs when she though she was off camera ,

Even Fury since he came back cleaned up his imagine , he used to say horrible stuff about gay people and all kind of other **** but realised to make money uv to clean up you act on tv

I've no problem with Joshua, Whyte or anyone leaving behind their past and learning from it to be a better person. Problem with Joshua is that every word he says is so rehearsed, so false and so incongruent. And people eat it up. It is just tiring. At least with Whyte, Fury and Wilder they speak from the heart, both the humble stuff and the arrogant stuff. I just wish Joshua would actually speak his mind for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Joshua didn't look right did he? Zero head movement and zero footwork. I know this is a frequent criticism of AJ but really apparent in this one. I don't know what his problem was in this fight but it certainly didn't look like the desire was there and very lethargic. I'd say a story will be out very soon about some issue leading up to this fight, whether that is true or spin by his promoter well, who knows?

Fair play to Ruiz though, he dug in deep after the knockdown and changed the face of the fight and his own destiny. Delighted for him personally. Deceptively fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Angliru wrote:

I'm not in disagreement with you as regards Hearn but Anthony Joshua showed himself as a real good man last night after he was beaten. If he was fake it would have shown up after him being beaten and losing his 100% record last night but instead you got a good man congratulating his conquerer.

• Advertisement

You must taking the absolute piss there is no way it was scripited , He got by the better man ,
    you could tell in the corner he didnt know what was haping at one stage he was sking McCrakin what is he going to do like a novice becaise his head was rattled

yes - I was being ironic saying that Jim Corr (noted tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist) was saying this on the radio.

nothing scripted about that left to Joshua's temple that scrambled his brain.

weemcd wrote: »
    Joshua didn't look right did he? Zero head movement and zero footwork. I know this is a frequent criticism of AJ but really apparent in this one. I don't know what his problem was in this fight but it certainly didn't look like the desire was there and very lethargic. I'd say a story will be out very soon about some issue leading up to this fight, whether that is true or spin by his promoter well, who knows?

Fair play to Ruiz though, he dug in deep after the knockdown and changed the face of the fight and his own destiny. Delighted for him personally. Deceptively fast.

Wasnt Hearn saying two days ago AJ took a new approch to this camp conditioning wise , Im sure i saw a video on youtube ,
    Saying he felt nackered on fight week in recent fights so they didnt push as hard this time and AJ felt fresher ,

Sometimes you need to out of the comfortzone for fighting the edge needs to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Wasnt Hearn saying two days ago AJ took a new approch to this camp conditioning wise , Im sure i saw a video on youtube ,
    Saying he felt nackered on fight week in recent fights so they didnt push as hard this time and AJ felt fresher ,

Sometimes you need to out of the comfortzone for fighting the edge needs to be there

Possibly, possibly getting a touch complacent too, AJ hasn't really been tested since Klitschko and maybe took his foot off the gas a bit in his preparations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Or maybe it's just the fact that this is heavyweight boxing and one punch from a big lump of a man can change everything! It's why the division is so popular. Biggest potential for upsets. Bad night for Matchroom with the reputations of Kelly, Taylor and AJ all taking a hit. On the flip side they put on a hell of a show!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As far as AJ's career is concerned, I'd consider this similar to Wlad's Corrie Saunders defeat. He can come back better if he works hard at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

So happy I stayed up for this. The great British hype toppled by an unknown (relatively). The smug arse licking Sky wanktrain has been derailed. For a while anyway. Greatest heavyweight of our generation me balls. Never bought into it based on what ive seen of AJ in the last 5 years.

People can talk about his boxing record all they want and use that as leverage when comparing him with his peers but records mean sh!t when you're fight history is littered with average joe boxers wanting a payday to clear the mortgage.

I respect anyone who steps into a boxing ring but I couldn't help but be delighted at AJ's loss. Not so much because of him but the British propaganda circus that's around him. So happy for Ruiz, a happy humble no BS guy. Classic David vs Goliath stuff.

People might view this as reactionary but I feel Joshua needs a new trainer. People seem to always laud McCracken as a great trainer but in reality it is his fighters and not his training. Froch survived due to a crazy chin, crazy stamina and good power, Joshua has size, power and decent speed. I sometimes wonder what he even offers. Last night he kept telling Joshua to 1-2 it and that's all he has to do to win. He seemingly didn't realise Joshua was backing up in straight lines and was allowing Ruiz get in on the inside... Simple ABC tactics. I cannot imagine any coach with extensive experience and credibility would be so poor when his fighter needed him.

Joshua was clueless and clearly panicking mid round asking him "what do I do" and "why do I feel like this". McCracken himself just seemed to panic and parrot the same 1-2 nonsense and "be more active".

Wlad needed Manny Steward to revive and save his career, Joshua needs a similar Boxing mind I feel. McCracken is a hack imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

People might view this as reactionary but I feel Joshua needs a new trainer. People seem to always laud McCracken as a great trainer but in reality it is his fighters and not his training. Froch survived due to a crazy chin, crazy stamina and good power, Joshua has size, power and decent speed. I sometimes wonder what he even offers. Last night he kept telling Joshua to 1-2 it and that's all he has to do to win. He seemingly didn't realise Joshua was backing up in straight lines and was allowing Ruiz get in on the inside... Simple ABC tactics. I cannot imagine any coach with extensive experience and credibility would be so poor when his fighter needed him.

Joshua was clueless and clearly panicking mid round asking him "what do I do" and "why do I feel like this". McCracken himself just seemed to panic and parrot the same 1-2 nonsense and "be more active".

Wlad needed Manny Steward to revive and save his career, Joshua needs a similar Boxing mind I feel. McCracken is a hack imo.

Honestly I think AJ never fully recovered from the initial overhand whack he took from Ruiz in the 3rd rnd. I think AJ even said that afterwards. He was probably quite badly concussed for the rest of the fight so I don't think there's much his trainers could have done anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Honestly I think AJ never fully recovered from the initial overhand whack he took from Ruiz in the 3rd rnd. I think AJ even said that afterwards. He was probably quite badly concussed for the rest of the fight so I don't think there's much his trainers could have done anyway.
    I think this was the case he looked out of it from then on..he definitely didn’t seem with it and looked very dazed and confused even having trouble taking directions from the ref st times. The joys of heavy weight boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i'm not going to say i thought this could go like this now in hindsight...but i did wonder how dry joshua looked before the first bell, long introductions and he looked like he hadnt warmed up at all

Advertisement