Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I just re-watched the Katie Taylor fight and Katie won fair and square. Delfine won the last round and one other round. That's two and then she also done good at the end of round two in the last 25-30 seconds. To be fair we will give that to Delfine that's 3 rounds won versus 7 to Katie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

I just re-watched the Katie Taylor fight and Katie won fair and square. Delfine won the last round and one other round. That's two and then she also done good at the end of round two in the last 25-30 seconds. To be fair we will give that to Delfine that's 3 rounds won versus 7 to Katie.

Think it was alot closer then you give it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I had the Taylor fight a draw with a number of close rounds that again could have been a draw or went either way. I think the calls of robbery are exaggerated. Two minute rounds are also more difficult to score. I think the rematch will be very interesting. Delfine did finish the stronger of the two, and had there been two more rounds it might have been very different.

weemcd wrote: »
    I had the Taylor fight a draw with a number of close rounds that again could have been a draw or went either way. I think the calls of robbery are exaggerated. Two minute rounds are also more difficult to score. I think the rematch will be very interesting. Delfine did finish the stronger of the two, and had there been two more rounds it might have been very different.

The last round Delfine won fair and square Katie was wrecked and if it was a 12 round fight Katie would have got knocked out from exhaustion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Another breakdown of the fight
    https://youtu.be/cIr2LgCpzT8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So Ruiz's slow feet did not matter because he has fast hands ,and more tellingly he could stand square and take a punch. If i was Joshua's team i'd be worried about the rematch, considering Ruiz has five months to prepare, compared to the five- six weeks for this one. I bet Eddie Hearn is sorry Miller failed the doping tests now. The look on his face at the end was priceless:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can't agree with that. I gave them three clear rounds each but the other four were close. I think a draw would have been a fair result. Katie was out on her feet at the end and if she was knocked down she lost the fight but she hung on thankfully.
    I'm delighted she won and I don't think that it's a disgraceful decision but it was very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

pac_man wrote: »
    I think McCracken is a good trainer and his cv stems a lot further than Froch.He's a very good amateur coach. I think a simple 1-2 is solid advice against a smaller fighter. Joshua simply wasn't throwing enough.Its too easy to blame a trainer after a defeat.

At one point, after being told to throw the 1-2, Joshua said "How do I get him?". Very odd. As were some of the things he said in the week about camp being torturous, didnt sound happy. Well done Ruiz, I was packing up to go to bed when he got put down, thought it was game over. AJ will be back for sure, but Id fancy Ruiz in the rematch too.

Thought Josh Kellys performance was very odd too. His output is far too low. Ive read people say "Nas had the same style" but Nas had single punch KO power, which Kelly doesnt. Im not sure Booth is the right coach for him

Yeah Josh Kelly was lucky to get a draw imo, I thought he lost that fight by two.
    Clearly a lot of talent in there but he needs to learn how to jab to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Taylor won the first, the sixth and maybe the ninth. The seventh was fairly close too. However she did not win more than 4 rounds, no way she won 5, and absolutely f*cking no way she won 6 rounds. Not the worst gift I have seen, but pretty foul tbh.

• Advertisement

Just to add Joshua was humble in defeat and did not seek to blame his trainer, as many fighters seek to do when they lose. McCracken is not to blame for this, Joshua was perhaps a bit complacent going into the fight,and i felt he did not utilise his advantages as he should have. I think he could well lose the rematch, but he will certainly use his jab and height more effectively next time around. Fair play to Ruiz though, crucially he showed a great chin, unlike Joshua, when he got floored, his legs were still solid and he knew where he was. He also took a big punch a few seconds after getting back up.
    Maybe if Joshua had Wilder's one punch knock out power, Ruiz might not have been able to get back up in that third round.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can't agree with that. I gave them three clear rounds each but the other four were close. I think a draw would have been a fair result. Katie was out on her feet at the end and if she was knocked down she lost the fight but she hung on thankfully.
    I'm delighted she won and I don't think that it's a disgraceful decision but it was very tight.

I wonder is she happy deep down with the result. She did not look to me like she felt she had won at the end of the fight. There should be a rematch to settle it

I wonder is she happy deep down with the result. She did not look to me like she felt she had won at the end of the fight. There should be a rematch to settle it
    I think she thought she won at the end of the fight but you'd expect that.
    I think when she looks back at it she will not be happy with her performance and realise that if she listened to her coach she'd have won a lot handier. I think she'd be up for a rematch but her team mightn't

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

thats the problem. its meant to be a sport

Says who?

Pro-boxing is a business and decisions that are made are business decisions.

On the plus side, maybe that makes a fight between Joshua and Wilder more likely. Id still like to see it. Wilder will fancy it more now, and AJ wanting to be the A side on everything is out the window.
    Hell probably freezes over before Hearn and Warren do a deal for AJ Fury though

Absolute scenes when pensioner Ortiz bombs Wilder with a left hand and Ortiz/Ruiz is the undisputed champion fight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Macdarack wrote: »
    Who's the lardass Joshua is fighting?

The Heavyweight Champion of the world, that’s who.

First post on the forum since 8 and a half years ago and this is it....quality

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Boooom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’m just catching up now lads being a Liverpool fan I’ve had a very fragile head today!
    So crazy reactionary stuff in the thread. What a result!
    Firstly praise for Ruiz Jr he fought a great fight. I’ve got some humble pie to eat because I ridiculed him before the fight. From the get go he looked dangerous and has very fast hands with good hw power.
    Aj fought him all wrong. Gave up the centre of the ring and threw 20% fewer punches per round than usual. He should have been using his jab. He thought he had it won in R3 but got caught by two lovely left hooks as he rashly charged in. That punch had been on. He didn’t even see them and was groggy the rest of the fight.
    I wouldn’t read in too much to what he said between rounds he was concussed and couldn’t recover. McCracken tried a simple message to jab and 1-2 but aj couldn’t get back on track.
    Aj has everything he needs to win the rematch and I expect him to do that. He’s still elite. It was a huge upset and we’ll see how he reacts.
    Ruiz gets to be champ now for a few months at self. Brilliant for boxing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

She definitely didn't box well and won't be happy with that performance

The talk of Persoon "winning by a mile" and "daylight robbery" from some pundits is a hysterical overreaction though. The fight was very, very close. Katie might have felt hard done by herself if the decision had gone against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

So whats the story is Ruiz contractually bound to a rematch for his next fight? And did I see earlier in the thread that includes fighting in the UK?

So whats the story is Ruiz contractually bound to a rematch for his next fight? And did I see earlier in the thread that includes fighting in the UK?

Hearn said so afterwards, but wouldn't rule out him milking a pro Mexican audience on the West Coast while AJ has a tune up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

On the plus side, maybe that makes a fight between Joshua and Wilder more likely. Id still like to see it. Wilder will fancy it more now, and AJ wanting to be the A side on everything is out the window.
    Hell probably freezes over before Hearn and Warren do a deal for AJ Fury though

AJ wouldn’t last 4 rounds with Wilder, there is no chance of that fight ever happening now

AJ wouldn’t last 4 rounds with Wilder

Thats why I want to see it!

Did anyone notice Joshua's father seemed to have an issue with Hearn after the fight. Maybe something happened in the camp, but like i said Joshua did not look for excuses as to why he lost. I thought he was phoney for a long time, but surely the mask would have slipped after losing if he was really that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Hearn said so afterwards, but wouldn't rule out him milking a pro Mexican audience on the West Coast while AJ has a tune up

He's not Eddie's fighter to milk though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The steroids didn't help him anyway.

• Advertisement

He's not Eddie's fighter to milk though.

Id be amazed if Eddie Hearn gave anyone a golden ticket of a title shot at AJ without options on them in the event they won. But maybe not

Advertisement