Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

The steroids didn't help him anyway.

That's totally uncalled for now in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I seen a good interveiw with Dave Allen who basically said AJ hasnt improved as a fight in the last 4 years , Says he get people because of his size ,strenght ,

He also touched on his defence as myself and other wise spoke about on here before , said everyone knows he just use the sheer size of his arms amd has zero head movement

Been saying it for a while bit Wilder is a nightmare for him because Wilder will land and thats a ko WHEN he does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Id be amazed if Eddie Hearn gave anyone a golden ticket of a title shot at AJ without options on them in the event they won. But maybe not

The option is a rematch. I'm not sure if it still stands if AJ decides to take a confidence building fight in the mean time, but Ruiz is a PBC fighter.

I think it's a risky strategy taking the rematch right away. It's hard to see how AJ could come back from back to back losses to Ruiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Finally got around to watching the fight.
    First off, Whoever was complaining about the scorecards is miles out. AJ won 1-2 and probably 5.
    Ruiz won 3 and 4, probably 6.
    So to have ot a point either way after 6 is normaly.

Second off, I think AJ is done now. I genuinely think his own aura of invincibility went in the 3rd. I can't see him being the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I seen a good interveiw with Dave Allen who basically said AJ hasnt improved as a fight in the last 4 years , Says he get people because of his size ,strenght ,

Yeah saw the interview with Dave, thought he was right. AJ just didn't look right, look like his attention was elsewhere. Was doing odd things with his gumshield. And what the hell were they doing with his neck before the start of the first round?

The man seemed far too happy after the loss, as if he had just passed all the pressure of being the champion on to somebody else. He reminds me a lot of Bruno when he is in trouble - like there is a small man inside him in charge of the controls, and he's just been knocked out of his chair.

• Advertisement

I'd say Ruiz is the sort of guy who has never started a bar fight, but has ended more than a few.

Yeah saw the interview with Dave, thought he was right. AJ just didn't look right, look like his attention was elsewhere. Was doing odd things with his gumshield. And what the hell were they doing with his neck before the start of the first round?

The man seemed far too happy after the loss, as if he had just passed all the pressure of being the champion on to somebody else. He reminds me a lot of Bruno when he is in trouble - like there is a small man inside him in charge of the controls, and he's just been knocked out of his chair.

Not sure if it's been mentioned on here but in the ring after AJ dad was having a right go at Hearn and AJ was saying it was my choice to him ?

No idea what that's about maybe he was hurt and decided to fight defo something going on he was fuming AJ had to pull him away

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Yeah saw the interview with Dave, thought he was right. AJ just didn't look right, look like his attention was elsewhere. Was doing odd things with his gumshield.

His bottle is gone, I am calling it. I Don't think we'll ever see the same AJ again.

His bottle is gone, I am calling it. I Don't think we'll ever see the same AJ again.

Certainly seemed like he did not want to be there. Maybe he's just had enough. Teddy Atlas was saying that he thinks AJ has too much money and cited the proverb of "waking up in silk sheets".

I'm just watching it back here and in between one of the rounds Joe is talking to him and AJ just says "What do you think he's gonna come out and do?" and gets involved in a conversation with him. Just very unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

He also touched on his defence as myself and other wise spoke about on here before , said everyone knows he just use the sheer size of his arms amd has zero head movement

Been saying it for a while bit Wilder is a nightmare for him because Wilder will land and thats a ko WHEN he does

He fights small

Constantly lowering his head down

Which is crazy when your 6'6 and have good power

Should really mirror himself on Wladimir Klitschko

Fight tall, head back, protect the chin, use his size

He will beat Ruiz easily with better tactics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Most disappointing thing about Joshua last night was how he basically quit. Thought he was tougher than that. Can get away with a dodgy chin to an extent if you're tough (ie Wilder) but if you've a dodgy chin and have the quit in you then it's a different story. 

Obviously all the talk of Joshua getting knocked out by the likes of Price, Okolie and Dubois in sparring are all true. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

People saying its only a matter of time before Wilder lands. Nobody giving enough credit to Ruiz who is a techincally sound fighter with good fundamentals.

He set his shots up extremely well, hes not an athlete who became a boxer, hes a boxer who doesnt look like an athlete.

Who knows, Wilder may not find his way through as easy. For all we know Ruiz could do the same to Wilder. It was a terrific performance credit where credits due.

Mike9832 wrote: »

He fights small

Strange thing is he took a proper beating last night he said hinself he had recovered in round 5 feom the shot he took in round 3
    He was smiling durning the counts and then i know peoole say humble but in my eyes he sound emtionless and defeated,strange night but it wasnt a lucky punch he got beat up bad

Hey guys, I am a massive MMA fan but I also watch a lot of boxing (but not an expert by any means).

I am just wondering what do the big boxing fans on here think about last nights fight....... was it a fluke win by Ruiz? Do you think he will win the second fight? Really interested in the opinions on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Mike9832 wrote: »

He fights small

Strange thing is he took a proper beating last night he said hinself he had recovered in round 5 feom the shot he took in round 3
    He was smiling durning the counts and then i know peoole say humble but in my eyes he sound emtionless and defeated,strange night but it wasnt a lucky punch he got beat up bad

His post fight interview was even stranger, all happy and smiles, just lost etc

Hearn looked depressed, dejected, worried.

If I had to guess, I would say he won't fight Ruiz again after watching that interview.

Hes already talking about Wilder

Didn't sound like a man who wanted his belts back, ala Lennox Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Hey guys, I am a massive MMA fan but I also watch a lot of boxing (but not an expert by any means).

I am just wondering what do the big boxing fans on here think about last nights fight....... was it a fluke win by Ruiz? Do you think he will win the second fight? Really interested in the opinions on here.

It wasn't a fluke. You'll catch the fight on Youtube and decide yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No fluke.
    I think he will win the second fight if AJ doesn't learn and improve. AJ's height and reach advantage should be big factors if he is able to use them, he didn't last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

AJ was certainly concussed after the third round and may have even been carrying a concussion into the fight.

His strange questioning and discussions in between rounds was bizarre and his behaviour afterwards equally so.

After one knock down he smiled and winked at ruiz.
    Then gave him a big hug after he got smashed.

He failed to follow referee instructions due to concussion, ref told him walk forward and aj smiled and said let's go and then leaned back on the ropes.
    The lights were on but there was no one home.

AJ deserved to have wilder be the one to beat him though. There's no shame in losing to wilder. Being beaten by a sack of lard with two baseball bats stuck to him is embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

AJ was certainly concussed after the third round and may have even been carrying a concussion into the fight.

His strange questioning and discussions in between rounds was bizarre and his behaviour afterwards equally so.

He failed to follow referee instructions due to concussion, ref told him walk forward and aj smiled and said let's go and then leaned back on the ropes.

AJ deserved to have wilder be the one to beat him though. There's no shame in losing to wilder. Being beaten by a sack of lard with two baseball bats stuck to him is embarrassing.

A big sack of lard with crazy hand speed. Ruiz feet weren't very quick but his hands are lethal don't forget the sport is boxing.

The whole being humble stuff was odd , oh its all part of my legacy doesnt sit right , He seemed to not be bothered by being ko'd amd how in gods name will he beat Wilder if Ruiz is koing him who isnt a big puncher by any strech

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

The whole being humble stuff was odd , oh its all part of my legacy doesnt sit right , He seemed to not be bothered by being ko'd amd how in gods name will he beat Wilder if Ruiz is koing him who isnt a big puncher by any strech

In fairness the lad is an ex convicted drug dealing waster,converted to a flukey gold medal olympian and coasted by Eddie fcuking Hearn to be a superstar...so id say hes pretty chuffed how its all turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Think the criticism of Joshua's character here is extremely harsh. He's shown himself to be a gentleman in victory previously and now in defeat. All this talk of him putting on a persona is bizarre. No matter what people think he was like previously, we can only judge him on what we've seen and his behavior has been exemplary. He won gold when he was 22 or 23. It's pretty harsh to judge anyone on rumours of what they were like before that. I know for sure I'm a different person now than what I was in my teens and early 20s.

Just looking back at the fight again. Ruiz was very brave. He was prepared to take AJ's punches to land one of his own. Almost every time he counters he has taken a punch in the face.

Got me thinking of the Parker fight, and how there were a lot of complaints at the time about how the referee forced the fighters to break immediately any time Parker looked like getting on the inside. Seems like this did not serve AJ well in the long run though, as the American ref was never gonna afford him the same luxury. And he looked very vulnerable, almost fragile, any time he got in close exchanges with Ruiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

AJ wasn't right from the first bell. He was negative, backing off constantly. I know he may have had a game plan to walk Ruiz onto the right but imo that tactic was wrong, he should have claimed centre ring, used the jab and pushed Ruiz back. He should have been hugely aggressive, used his speed and power to bully Ruiz.

The fact that he had facial damage going into the fight speaks volumes too, I suspect he had a rough camp, may have been badly hurt in sparring which made him tentative on fight night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Delighted for Ruiz, brilliant performance and well deserved win. He set up traps beautifully and really fought a perfect fight. AJ has always had that vulnerability about him. As many have said he just never fully recovered from the 3rd round.

I thought maybe AJ was very nervous, didn't look his usual calm and composed self. He kept playing with his mouthpiece and looked very uneasy before the fight started. Possibly it was nothing though. Credit has to go to Ruiz, it was his night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

he looked relieved if anything at the end, and happy for ruiz.

AJ had more fight in him when he fought dillian whyte, couldnt help but think of old micky in rocky...worst thing can happen a boxer is when he gets civilised......AJ since becoming champ has become a sports ambassador in his country, receiving MBE/OBE from royality, he's sponsored for everything he wears from glasses to headphones, everything he says in public is documented, hes a brand more than a boxer....he's got something like 100 million pounds to his name.

maybe deep inside its a weight off him...hes achieved more than he should considering his late start in boxing...and hes got fcuk you money...maybe a life that doesnt involve training camps and getting hit and getting criticised and constant media work appeals to him deep down.

on framptons podcast during last week he spoke about going down in the Klitschko fight...and said he said to his team if he had to go through another trenches fight like that then he was done with boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Weird performance from AJ ......thought I heard him say some strange stuff to his trainers in between rounds but couldn't quite make out what he said ............analyst on talksport said he asked 'what punch do I throw' after the 5th round and 'why am I feeling like this' after the 6th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Just because I found it funny...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

He looks happier than Ruiz! :pac::confused:

190602014318-andy-ruiz-jr-exlarge-169.jpg

• Advertisement

Still Ill wrote: »
    Think the criticism of Joshua's character here is extremely harsh. He's shown himself to be a gentleman in victory previously and now in defeat. All this talk of him putting on a persona is bizarre. No matter what people think he was like previously, we can only judge him on what we've seen and his behavior has been exemplary. He won gold when he was 22 or 23. It's pretty harsh to judge anyone on rumours of what they were like before that. I know for sure I'm a different person now than what I was in my teens and early 20s.

I dont think its criticsim , its pretry obvious that a lot of sports star including boxer's arent who they come across as being on camera , Thats always been the way

Advertisement